Pleasant, friendly hotel.

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"An altogether pleasant hotel. Clean & comfy. Good showers. A/c. Staff friendly & helpful. Beds a bit firm. Comfy lounge with small bar. Pool quite warm and very shallow at one end. Breakfast orange juice anaemic but plenty of fresh fruit to compensate. Surrounding roadworks immediately outside during day but will probably finish end-June 09. Close to Monte Estoril station (for Lisbon). 5 minutes down to the sea front (some good beaches) and a pleasant stroll along to Cascais (where eating is good but a tad expensive). Restaurant not open while we were there but nice patisserie downstairs."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of June 2009

Good value for your money

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"The staff was helpful. The hotel was fully booked, thus I had to wait for 14:00 to check in, otherwise they would have given the room earlier.
Breakfast was included in the price for a single room (49Euro) that included eggs toast, baked goods, jam & batter, cereals, tea and coffee. There was some contraction, next to the breakfast room so dining was not that fun, but I am sure it is a temporary thing.
The room is exactly like the photos online, and the room is nice with a tiny balcony and A/C. The shower is nicely remodeled as was the room, and hot water is in abundance. The hotel is 10 - 15 min walk from the Casino, but - it is too far of a walk from Downtown Cascais, which, in my humble opinion, a much better location than Estoril! -Nothing that a taxi of 7 Euro cannot solve.
There is a small gym, that opens at 8 am."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of June 2009

Some good, some bad

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I'd ordered a room with a balcony but didn't get this when I checked in, unfortunately the hotel was full but we were told we could move to a room with a balcony the next day.

However the room with a balony had not been refurbished so was very tired looking and inferior compared with the more modern rooms.

Breakfast was barely edible with artifical orange juice and coffee from a machine.

Pool area was nice enough however broken tiles in the pool.

Reception and cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful.

Good location, an enjoyable walk down the promenade to Cascais which has lots of lovely restaurants and bars.

I got a late deal on rooms and paid just over half price so I shouldn't be too annoyed however if I'd paid full price I wouldn't have been at all happy."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of June 2009

Great Place to Enjoy Cascais and Estoril

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"This hotel is perfectly situated right between Estoril and Cascais, about a 10-15 minute walk to either one along the boardwalk and beaches. It is about a 5 minute walk to the train stop, so it's very convenient. The hotel has a lot of nice amenities that make it a nice place to stay on a vacation- the pool area was very nice, a small exercise room, large breakfast options in the morning, and a nice sitting area on the first floor with tons of books, magazines, tv, bar, etc. The staff was very helpful with everything and spoke good English. Also, the rooms with an ocean view are spectacular, and have small balconies so you can sit outside and enjoy the fresh air.

The only potential issue was with my internet connection for my laptop. I believe they just recently switched to this new company and so I was more of a "guinea pig" in testing out its wireless features. I guess the routers are spread out, but in my room the connection was very weak at the desk, but very strong if I sat on the floor by my door. It would automatically connect to the router downstairs, which didn't work in my room, but was fine if I walked with my laptop downstairs. Also, it wouldn't let me disconnect, and since you have to pay 20 euros for 24 hours (not consecutive, but total number to use during your stay), I didn't want it to stay on overnight or when I wasn't in the room. The staff was extremely helpful and called the internet company on my behalf, but it was still frustrating. Again, this was a new system that is probably fixed by now, and there might have been user errors (haha.. although I'm fairly good with stuff like this since I travel a bit with my laptop) involved.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place if staying in the Estoril/Cascais area (which I also recommend over Lisbon!)"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of August 2008

This is a very friendly and clean hotel...

Reviewed Mon 24th of September 2007

"This is a very friendly and clean hotel in a lovely central position, overlooking a little park area, close to local shops and some very nice restaurants. Quite basic, but a brilliant base to discover the area from.

It is only a short walk down to the main promenade and the little train station. Trains run between Cascais and central Lisbon (which is a must see and do).

Estoril is so historic and has some very beautiful streets with old buildings everywhere. There is also a casino that stages great shows, which you can book to go to including a meal and impressive ornamental gardens just outside the casino.

Cascais is great for an evening out, with it's quaint squares and cafes, but Lisbon really is one of the most fascinating cities that I have ever visited. It really does have everything if you know where to look. In the evening there are a wealth of bars and restaurants to visit and during the day there are castles, museums, churches, shops, squares, cafes and historic (and some very modern) features everywhere.

The other place that you just should not miss is Sintra with it's fabulous castles and exciting follies. A bus will take you there from nearby the hotel or otherwise, car hire is always handy in the area. The hotel has parking outside the main entrance.

• Travel date: Mon 24th of September 2007

Wonderful stay

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"Spent 14 nights at this hotel and were sad to leave.
Very clean, helpful staff, beach. Short walk to Estoril or Caiscais, or train/bus very close hotel. Train to Lisbon takes 30 mins, bus to Sintra.Issue with room on arrival was resolved next morning as promised and we appeared to get upgrade to pool view room.
This part of Estoril is quiet hilly for walking.
Great cafe attached to hotel and local shops,cafes, restaurants nearby."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of August 2006

I know it's here somewhere

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"We were touring round Portugal by motorbike and the Saboia was a last minute deal and the price was really, really low so our expectactions weren't too high, the staff were excellent and although the carpet in the room was grubby the bed was comfortable and clean, the water was piping hot whenever it was required and there were plenty of towels.
Breakfast was adequate if unimaginative but as a bonus there was a cafe (owned by the hotel) attached, so you could purchase anything else you wanted.
The location was the drawback, even with directions from Viamichelin we couldn´t find th hotel. We asked a local taxi driver and he didn't know either (despite being only 2 roads away as we later found out), and finally we resorted to asking a local man on a scooter who kindly phoned the hotel and got some directions and led us there! From the hotel it was only a 20 minute walk to Cascais but you would need to do that walk everytime you wanted to find a little life, there is nothing to entertain you in Estoril, or Monte Estoril where the hotel is situated. The walk to the beach was downhill and through a smelly underpass under the train line, and obviously uphill all the way back, not a good location for anyone disabled or elderly and short of puff!
The swimming pool was great and had complimentary towels for guests use, a nice touch.
Would I stay there again? Possibly not, unless it was just an overnight stop."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of June 2006

It's a great place to stay in Estoril ............

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I took a party of 20 teenagers and two other adults to the Saboia as a base for our week's concert tour of the Lisbon area.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful if they tried and nothing we ever asked for was too much trouble. "Five trunks of band gear, a drum kit and a stage piano? No problem!" The trunks were stored in the manager's office and the drums and piano went into a cupboard under the stairs! Our rooms were immaculate and the cleaners took working their way around the paraphernalia that accompanies teenagers in their stride. The food and service in the restaurant was first class too. It's also worth saying that the hotel's coffee shop is run by their restaurant's staff and it was always full of locals, a good sign if ever their was one.

When you leave the hotel, it's only a few minutes walk to either the Cascais or Estoril beaches if you don't want to use the hotel's pool (which is somewhat in the shade after lunchtime). You can also catch a train every half hour or so from Monte Estoril to Lisbon (for €4.60 return) so sight seeing isn't going to cost the earth either.

So would we like to go to the Saboia again? Of course, it's a great place to stay in Estoril."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of August 2004