Very Good!

Reviewed Thu 30th of April 2015

"This is my 2nd stay at Vale da Lapa and both times it has been a great and very relaxing short break. The houses are lovely and are a home from home, food & service are both very good and the staff went out of their way with a homemade cake for my daughters birthday. I would love to return here one day soon."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of April 2015

Total rip-off. Very poor quality holiday relative to price paid.

Reviewed Mon 2nd of December 2013

"5 Star Hotel?? I don't think so. Cracked toilet seat, grimy bathroom and shower cubicle and a wired internet connection. That's right, wired! This means that if you want to get a wireless connection you have to sit in the reception.

See this description on the Last minute.com website - "This 5-star hotel is within close proximity of Carneiros Beach and Ferragudo Beach."? It's not really true, not unless you consider a 45 minute walk, or a bus journey, to be "close proximity".

One night we ate at the restaurant, obviously we expected it to be added to the bill - especially when you have told the waiter your room number and seen him 3 days running at breakfast. But oh no, when we got up to leave he chased after us, literally chased us for payment. Like we were stealing or something. How embarrassing. It was also a total rip-off compared to the bars and restaurants "nearby" - but then you can charge those prices when you are miles away from anywhere.

The TV is rubbish - there are only a few channels that can actually be watched.

There are a few nights a week when they have a singer in the bar - it goes on until late, very late and it will keep you awake.

On the positive side the staff that actually run the hotel are very nice and friendly - but I won't be going back. Ever. "

• Travel date: Thu 28th of November 2013

Yes, It's pretty good !

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I agree totally with the last review. Myself and my wife celebrating a special anniversary. Accomadation first class, if you want a 5 star luxury townhouse, this is the place for you. The staff could not do enough for you. Breakfast was ok, but scarificed this most days because lunch was seriously better. Great time of year to travel to Portugal (18th-25th October) as the weather was fantastic for the whole week. 22- 25 degrees daytime very plesant. If you do choose to stay here you must have a car, unless you plan on not leaving the Hotel. The beach at Ferrogudo is lovely and the village of Carvoeiro is a must see. Vale da Lapa is still in it's infancy, but with time will only get better and more expensive. For a truly relaxing chill out luxury place this is a good choice, but remember you will need a car. Golf at Gramacho and Vale da Pinta 5 minutes away."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of October 2010

Loved it

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"My boyfriend and I loved this place, the apartment we stayed in was more like a villa and had everything we needed including under floor heating in the bathroom plus loads of other mod cons. The tvs have the five main UK channels and there is free internet available. The villas are brand new and feel really modern and spacious but comfortable and cosy at the same time. The jacuzzi steam room and sauna were open all day which was great. The hotel itself was quiet and understated which we were pleased with.

The location was good but we were glad we had a car which we used to explore the area. Without a car you could get a taxi to the town which is 5 mins away and there are other restaurants around but probably not within walking distance. This place is perfect for if you want to get away and just relax for a week."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of October 2010

excellent hotel but you need a car

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"The standard of accommodation is certainly five star. The hotel is new and is still ongoing, so it will take a little time to develop its own character and for the gardens to establish.
However, the entrance and reception is a little soulless and could be more welcoming, as the contemporary style can be a little severe. Breakfasts are fresh and wholesome with both continental and full English provided.but For a five star I would expect coffee on the table rather than waiting to be served, just a little niggle.
The Villas are first class, beautiful. The kitchen was chic with everything to hand and all modern appliances, superb. One or too little grumbles, no soap dish or towel rail and the air conditioning in the bedroom made so much noise at night that we had to have it off. The hotel could go that extra mile by putting a coffee maker in the kitchen and sun beds on the terrace rather than chairs. However we had a daily cleaning service with fresh towels and bedlinen which was lovely.
There are a few restaurants within walking distance, plus a small supermarket for those self catering. Local restaurants are closed on a Monday but its only 5 euros by taxi into Carvoeiro where there is plenty of choice.
Facilities at the hotel include a restaurant adult and children pools plus an excellent spa which I would recommend. however there is no internet room which is disappointing although we were offered the use of a laptop in an emergency .I understand a gym is awaiting completion.
We hired a car and went out everyday, and there are some interesting places to visit. I would recommend Sagres, a 40 minute trip west. It has an excellent safe beach which was virtually deserted and a few nice restaurants. Praia de lux also has a lovely beach and is quaint.
Silves has a castle worth viewing and Travista near the Spanish border, is also well worth going to, Do visit the optical tower and see a birds eye view of the town with a fascinating commentary. So, lots of places to see, all different, all worth a visit. The nearest little town Carvoeiro is small and picturesque, with a splattering of small shops and pretty beach. Walk up the hill and get a beautiful picture postcard view.
The hotel was real value for money, we found the staff very helpful who tried to resolve any problems quickly. I think the hotel needs a little more atmosphere in the restaurant but that will come with time. Well worth trying."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2010

Memorable

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"Every year I look for a different experience to celebrate our wedding aniversary, this year we were celebrating 15 years.
We did not know exactly what to expect. The first impression of the resort is very good, very glamorous. At check-in we were informed that our dinner would be prepared and served in the villa by the executif chef because the barbecue was not romantic enough. Woww!! That was a surprise to me and obviously exceded all expectations. Being in a villa we were surprised to have breakfast included. Very nice touch. Did not use the Spa this time maybe next time. Well done guys! Memorable!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of September 2010

5 star and great for kids

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"for a brand new resort vale da lapa is great a few teething problems but nothing major, would reccommend this place for familys couples young and old, lovely resort not to big like some of the golfing resorts but if you want to play golf courses are really close
definatly will return here also ths spa is great with lovely treatments"

• Travel date: Tue 24th of August 2010

Excellent facilities, lousy service

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"PROS: Nice surroundings, good pool however with no shadow, good spa and excellent, excellent apartments, well decorated and very spacious, nice touch with the children robes. Very courteous staff.
CONS:
Room equipment: no place for the soap; two very tiny pans to cook (difficult with 3 children); no serving plates; no hair dryer.
Cleaning: No cleaning. To be fair, they washed the dishes, which was surprising, and took out the garbage PERIOD I had to call reception two days, since for three days in a row we were given 4 towels for 5 guests. Shower gel and shampoo were never refilled throughout 5 days.
Kids club: private babysitting for the first comer. We left our older children one day at the pool, and they had the courtesy to take them home, although they knew how to get there. But that is not what we expect from a kids club: we expect a supervised place where the children can play. What happened is that some parents "dumped" their children there and the supervisor decided that she had to follow the first comers wherever they wanted to go. This ended up on having the kids club unsupervised, toys closed and no will to stay there. I actually arrived there one day to leave my youngest to find two other children alone. When I commented that she might have gone to the WC the answer was "no, some children wanted a snack and she went with them, the others either also went or had to stay here alone". To me this is unacceptable in a kids club.
Breakfast: breakfast was OK, could be better, more variety or at least change the offer during the stay. But very bad was actually the service. I do not know how to describe, if simply bad or amateur. While two or three were running around trying to replace the food, some others seemed only to be having a stroll. One of the days none of the 3 bread baskets had bread and it had to be other guest requesting bread for them to notice. Once, after requesting three times for milk and coffee, finally someone showed up. I asked to be served and they went on to the following table, were the guests had just seated (second party after we arrived). When they finally came over I had decided there was no point on waiting to be served and had finished breakfast, so I told the waiter that there was no need for it any longer. Not happy with the lousy service, he answered back that "the other guests had asked first". I could not believe my ears, not only was it not true, but even if it were, this is not an answer that a guest is waiting to here, less alone in a 5* resort.
Bar: very small. I asked to book a table to watch a football match that was only on cable. They said they could reserve it but could not guarantee they would actually show the game since "the other day someone cam to see a match but a group of children was watching a soap so we left the soap". A group of children in a bar has priority over an adult? Amusing... Not to mention the exceptional money-saving service: my husband waited for over half an hour for a waiter on the terrace, one came, served the person on the table behind and left without asking him if he had any requests.

If you want a beautifully furbished apartment, with no cleaning, great place to stay. If you want a 3* service, please find somewhere else. This was a huge disappointment. We have stayed often in Pedras d'el Rei, which has very dated and small apartments, but much better surroundings, cleaning and staff. we decided to pamper ourselves this year and were extremely disappointed. Next year, we will surely not stay here."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of August 2010

Fantastic

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We thought the hotel and its facilities were second to none. All villas brand new with luxurious finishes throughout. Staff were extremely curteous and nothing was too much trouble. Location is about EUR5 taxi ride from Carvoeiro where there are numerous child friendly restaurants. Pool was fantastic with a small kids pool beside the main pool but if you like the beach there are lovely beaches nearby but again just a small EUR5 taxi ride"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of July 2010

Quiet, Relaxing Holiday

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"This newly opened resort consists of two storey, two bed roomed townhouses and three bed villas near the town of Carvoeiro. We stayed in one of the villas for ten days with our three young children and had an absolutely wonderful time. The villas are beautifully decorated and well equipped and have everything you could need for a relaxing holiday including your own private pool. We also used the main pool in the resort and there's a children's pool ideally located just next to the adults. We enjoyed the Mediterranean style buffet breakfast every morning which was included in our holiday rate. Except for breakfast we only ate at the resort twice, once for lunch and we also had a dinner there one night. The food was tasty and reasonably priced considering that it's a five star resort. We found the staff friendly and helpful. This is a newly opened resort so obviously there's going to be some teething problems but they were minor and nothing that affected us enjoying our holiday. One thing to note is that the gym and indoor pool are not available yet. Also you will need a car as the resort is too far away to walk into any of the nearby towns. We really enjoyed our holioday at the Agua vale da Lapa resort and I would have no problem recommending there."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2010

Great place for families

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Agree with review above, we are staying with our 2 year old in a 2 bedroom villa and have to say the villas are very well kitted out and everything brand new. Fittings are all very luxurious. The plus side of being in a resort is that there is someone come and clean your villa everyday and you also have the amenities of restaurant and spa which you wouldnt in a private villa. My son loved the kids pool although the main pool was still a bit too cold for him. Also no indoor pool.
The grounds are extensive but being new everything is still in planting phase so dont expect a mature garden. Saying that the poolside is lovely and staff very helpful. Car essential."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of May 2010

Perfect place to relax, beautiful

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This is a very new hotel,. just opened a few weeks, whilst there is some decorating work going on in some of the unrented houses at the end of the complex, this is not a problem, this is certainly a place to recommend if you want a relaxing holiday, The houses are just beautiful, very well fitted and furbished. The complex is located at the end of a small villlage, 2km from the resort of Carveoira and about 2km from a beautiful small beech. The rates currently on offer are excellent value for money. We stayed here 7 nights, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the manager lends a very personal touch, The pool is great with really good reclining sunbeds. Whilst the food is very good in the hotel restaurant there are also very good restaurants within walking distances. I certainly look forward to returning here. Rosemary Ireland."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of May 2010