Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera

Avenida Marginal, Armacao de Pera 8365-909 Portugal

too quiet

Good

"we had a lovely room on 2nd floor ,clean tidy. small balcony overlooking sea ,very adequate for our needs. lovely breakfast all the usual items bacon etc waiter service very good,evening meal varied choice. bar was excellent but as we both smoke we felt like outsiders as the smoking area was a tiny place just outside bar to which the waiters never came and asked us if we wanted drinks nor were the glasses removed ,but they were always serving people inside with drinks ,our money was no different to anyone elses but we were ignored we fetched our own drinks and returned our own glasses. dont know if we would return here as we found it too quiet an area but overall the hotel lovely."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of October 2010

Improved Armacao and Holiday Inn

Good

"We had a lovley holiday in Armacao de Pera. We have been before and stayed at the same hotel. It has now been taken over by the Holiday Inn chain and is refurbishing the rooms. Unfortunately we could not get a newly refurbed room as the hotel was full so I am not sure what they are like.

The room we had was still nice though and always kept clean with daily towel changes. We had a sea view which always helps of course. The breakfast was vast and good quality.

However, we did find a few little creatures in the bathroom which I think may have been silverfish, I know they like damp conditions. I hate creatures so I bunged up a few holes with tissue thinking that was how they had got in and tried to forget them. Then on the second last night I had looked over the terrace and seen a cockroach a few floors down. I was thankful it was not on my floor. However, that same night I walked into the bathroom and found a massive cockroach in the bath. I was traumatised as I hate them, I always thought they lived around kitchens and where there was food. I have since found out that they do like bathrooms and can live behind overflows and waste pipes. I did not sleep for the last two nights as I was so awae of what might have been lurking behind the workings in the bathroom. My husband bunged up the bath overflow and the bidet one until we left but it didn't really help. I realise that probably all hotels abroad have some degree of problem with cockroaches but I feel that it is probably manageable and that they should maybe spray the hotel weekly to irradicate or at least control the situation. When I was on holiday in Mexico a few years ago, they did exactly that as they must have realised that otherwise there would be a problem, even in a 5 star hotel. They just posted a note through the door to tell you they would be doing this and it made you feel that they had things under control. I never encountered one there.

I will possibly stay at the Holiday Inn again in the future as it is in a great location and I love the area, I will probably wait until the rest of the hotel has been refurbished though and hopefully they have managed to control the problem and put guests minds at ease."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of October 2010

Relax in a good hotel, in a good location.

"The hotels location is excellent, right beside the sandy beach. The double room we had was perfectly adequate in size and very clean. Would recommend asking for a seaview room, it's a great view! Maid service was good overall, they did omit to replace the tea / coffee on two occasions. The whole hotel is very clean, bright and well run. Polite, friendly and professional staff. The food in the restaurant was excellent, yes the emphasise is on fish dishes but there are several other choices. Tables are not too close either, unlike some hotels. The main lounge area is very pleasant, with views over the pool and beach. Re evening entertainment, the only off putting thing is having two, large screen tv's in the room; one is right beside the keyboard player / singers position and frequently they were watching the 'footy' while performing!
Pool area is small but very nice, didn't have any problem getting a sunbed and there are free towels, a nice touch. Like the free room fridge. Nearby bars /restaurants are an easy 10 minute walk along the pedestrianised prom area, with plenty of choice. The beach bar beside the hotel is excellent for a snack lunch.
Overall for a relaxing holiday in a very good hotel, located in a great beach setting this place is hard to beat."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of October 2010

Great location, comfortable friendly hotel

Good

"We stayed at this hotel in the peak season and found it to be a very good experience. The staff were very helpful and responded to any request in a warm and friendly way with a definite 'Can Do' attitude. We had room 308 which was a corner suit, it was spacious with stunning views of the ocean and beach.
I understand that there is a refurbishment program which will eventually see all rooms modernised to a very high standard and although our room was great it was a little dated.
The quality of food was good but recommend that it would be used by more families if children up to say aged 10 ate free. The current charge of 11 euro's for kids is on the expensive side bearing in mind how little they often eat and the fierce competition locally.
That said our overall impression of this hotel is that it is an excellent place to stay and even when completely full was comfortable, quiet at night and in a spectacular location."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of September 2010

Unbeatable location, great staff.

"We first stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago and we have returned every year since. The location is idyllic and we have got to know so many people in the hotel and town that it is like returning home.
It is a holiday hotel, so dont expect the same standards in terms of luxury rooms as in a city hotel. The hotel has recently been franchised to the Holiday Inn chain and all the rooms are being renovated in any case.
For a relaxing holiday with some really nice restaurants within close walking distance in town, cant be beaten in my opinion."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of September 2010

"3 star at a push"

"We stayed at the hotel for a few days at the end of August/beginning of September. We had booked a room facing the back. Room looked shabby and decor was outdated. While there the sheets were not changed for the entire 5 day duration of the holiday. The cleaning was basic and restricted to daily towel changes.We had to paya deposit of 10 euros per beach towel rented and 7.50 euros for the previledge of using the deposit box. This is the first time I had been asked to pay deposits for services that other four star hotels offer free!!!
There were no children swimming area/pools and the hotel pool looked dirty with bits of paper scattered around it.The location is good with a lovely sandy beach on the doorstep. All in all the premises require a lot of work before this can be classed as a four star hotel. Would definitely return to Armacao De Pera but will book another hotel next time"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2010

Fabulous holiday !

"Went to this hotel for a quiet holiday before the school holidays started. The hotel location is superb and the views are just stunning ! The hotel has now been taken over by Holiday Inn and there were some improvements going on while we were there, but this didn't detract from the service and quality of the hotel. The rooms are great and it's worth paying for sea view - to wake up and hear the waves on the beach is just brilliant ! Rooms are cleaned daily by lovely staff and the dining room is superb - very spacious and plenty of choice.
Pool area is very well kept and there was never a rush to get beds although we were there 1st week of July. The private beach is ideal, just wander down to the beach and then you can walk up and down for miles.
Every single member of staff were exceptional - from reception who were there whenever we had a question or needed advice, to the barmen who remembered what we drinking and were just lovely, and the staff at the poolside bar who would bring your order to your sunbed rather than leave you waiting at the bar.
Will be going back next year for sure !"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of September 2010

Great location just on the beach!

Good

"The location of this hotel is great! Just next to the nice beach and in the better end of the quite touristy Amarcao de Pera. Spacious, clean and quiet rooms, good facilities and a great breakfast buffé. The staff was helpful and friendly and the overall experience of this hotel was great!"

• Travel date: Tue 24th of August 2010

We will be back

Good

"Spent 11 nights at this hotel - Booked sea view room (a must) overlooking the beach, pool and cliff views to the right - fantastic. Location couldn't be better -direct access to promenade and beach. We booked half board and the evening meals were excellent with plenty of fresh fish dishes. The dining room is looking over one of the best views on the Algarve with an outside terrace over the sea. The staff both in the hotel and in the restaurant were exceptionally friendly. Very hot so it was welcome to have large fridge in room and only minor moan was the small bathroom. Definitely will return."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of August 2010

GREAT HOLIDAY

"stayed at this hotel for week....booked on internet last tuesday, what can i say......hotel fab we stayed in room 552 which overlooked thed sea and the room was really nice we could not fault it...air con, safe & small fridge which was enough to meet our needs...hotel staff very pleasant and helpful especially lady reception named therese who came looking for us to give us our room key as soon as became available....breakfast was great nice surroundings and good choice of foods.....rooms cleaned daily with clean towels every day provided.
Hotel on hand to everything nice pool with pool bar and direct acess to beach.
great hotel....great place.....we look forward to seeing you all next year for a nice relaxing holiday...BIG THANKYOU TO ALL FOR A GREAT HOLIDAY."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of August 2010

Stunning,breathtaking and a very welcoming hotel.

"Just returned from a 2 week holiday in the stunning Armacao de Pera. From the 1st moment we arrived at the hotel we where greeted and efficiently checked in by Vanessa. Throughout our stay Vanessa was so helpful, kind and always went above and beyond the call of duty. Our room was on the 1st floor overlooking the town. A spacious space for 2 adults and 1 child. We had maid service and clean towels each day. On our 1st night we ate in the restaurant and Mamadu was our waiter. He is such a charming and cheerful person and he always made sure my son got something to eat that suited. Because of the friendly and attentive way of Mamadu we ate most nights in the restaurant. Food was always varied and plentiful and also delicious. The pool area was exceptionally clean and we always got a sun lounger around the pool. Everything about this hotel and resort was just amazing and beautiful and we,re looking at booking our summer holiday next year with you again. Well done the staff at Holiday Inn and thank you for a memorable holiday. "

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2016

Algarve 09!!

"I can safely say this was one of the best holiday’s I’ve ever had – though I’m doubtful it was down to the hotel, it’s location and surrounding area couldn’t have been better.

Myself and my sister recently visited The Garbe and were both very impressed with the cleanliness of our room, the linen was changed each day as were our towels. We paid the extra for a balcony and bath which although I had second thoughts about, I would certainly recommend – the balcony is more than big enough to seat two people comfortably with a small table – we sat out on ours every lunch time – there were walls either side which also provided us with shade during the hottest times of the day – something much appreciated when you go in August! Swimming Pool is 1/3 of the size it needs to be for a hotel of this size – especially when kids are flinging themselves in from all angles it doesn’t make for the most relaxing place to take a dip.

Our only complaint about the hotel was the breakfast which was included in our deal – we weren’t impressed with it at all – although there was a large range of food I found the cooked food to be inedible, the mushrooms seemed to be boiled in disinfectant and the sausages dripped with fat. There was only a couple of items of fruit on offer, pineapple and melon in a large bowl. If you are happy to eat bread and cheese then you won’t find it a problem. We ended up skipping breakfast most mornings anyway and having an earlier lunch. The hotel bar (right by the poole) was quite expensive but nice if you wanted a cold beer etc, we went to the little shop near Clipper (a lovely restaurant) and bought water, bread, olives etc for our room – made our holiday very cheap.

Also make sure you get up at a decent time and bag your sunbed! People get up early and place their towels on as many as possible so to avoid disappointment I suggest you do the same.

The steps going down to the beach weren’t obvious to us immediately, they are positioned just to the left of the hotel – brilliant being able to walk straight down on to the beach, which I must say is beautiful – we paid the 14 euros on the last day for the sunbeds and used them for about ten hours so well worth the money.

We went to some lovely restaurants – the Chinese ( go right coming out of the hotel – the restaurants get better the further away you walk) was extremely good value and a hit with the locals. I recommend Clipper for their fantastic Sardines, Porter was good but make sure you book or get their earlier as they tend to rush your order towards the end of the evening. If you can be bothered and are looking for somewhere really special to eat, go right outside the hotel and then continue along as far as you possibly can.. you come to a small pontoon area with the most stunning restaurant and best food you can find! Although a touch more expensive it’s worth every penny – beautiful views and seats on the beach for drinks in the evening.

There are also some lovely beach bars with bean bags etc we were shown these by some local Portuguese guys we met out there – absolutely amazing, stunning views early evening and the staff were so friendly.

I’d also recommend the fishing trip – 30 euros for 1.5 hours – worth every penny – the beaches you see are stunning and they actually take you inside the caves so make sure you have a camera at the ready.

Also went on the rubber-ring ride – interesting – most horrific thing I’ve ever done in my life…not recommended unless you enjoy feeling like you've torn every ligament in your body for 3 days afterwards

Overall – fantastic place – average hotel but perfect position – the Algarve is stunning, desperate to go back again!!

• Travel date: Tue 18th of August 2009

Hotels near Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera

Stayed at Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera

• maisymoo by maisymoo

"Stunning - the people are all delightful and happy to help, beautiful beaches "

• maisymoo by maisymoo

"Clipper, fishing trip, beaches "

Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera is also called