Pestana Alvor Praia - Premium Beach & Golf Resort

Last minute

Good
Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"We booked last minute and luckily managed to get a sizeable discount to stay at the Alvor Praia. Having visited the Algarve once before - the glamorous Villamoura - we didn't know what to expect, as all reviews had celebrated the picturesque and quaint quality of Alvor.

The hotel was lovely - if a little seventies / 007 in style. The staff were fantastic. They were really amenable and couldn't do enough to help (contrary to other reviews I'd read on Trip Advisor). Our room was suitably spacious with a garden / sea view. We went half board which I'm always a little dubious about - but the food was wonderfully fresh and very varied.

So, why the 4/5 rating? Well, Alvor was a disappointment. The beaches were lovely but the town itself was crowded by Irish bars - unfortunately, a bit Brits abroad. I discovered very little of the quaint cobbled fishing village that had been so earnestly reviewed.

Would I go back to the Alvor Praia? Yes, but I'd rent a car and visit the rest of the Algarve instead."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2005

Wonderful hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Have just returned from 7 nights in this great hotel.

Hotel is in an absolutely perfect location for those wanting a truley relaxing holiday.

Hotel itself is superb, maybe not a grand 5 star hotel but certainly the nicest hotel I have stayed in and is definately higher than a 4 star. The rooms are clean, spacious and modern and have great views, all have balconies. Would certainly recommend getting a sea view as the hotel overlooks a fantsic beach which has seculded coves and long sandy beaches, one of the nicest I have seen.

The hotel has good restaurants and food is very nice (although expensive), the only downside I would say to this hotel is the staff. Some are very friendly, polite and smiley, however some maybe need some training in the smiling department. However this didnt detract from a wonderful holiday.

The hotel has two great pools with plenty of sun loungers and the pool bar serves great food and drinks.

The hotel is only 15 minutes walk to Alvor Harbor (or 4 Euros in a cab) and has some lovey restuarants which serve great sea food, you can get a 3 course meals for two with wine for around 40 to 50 euros. (You'll pay around double that in the hotel for the same thing)

Alvor also has some nice bars which get busy in the evenings but during the day Alvor is lovely quiet harbour town with some great local shops and boat tours etc.

This was my first holiday in the algarve and the Pestana Alvor Praia is certainly played a major part in making this a great holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of July 2005