Lovely Holiday

Reviewed Fri 26th of November 2010

"Having just missed the ash cloud my husband and I spent a week for our joint 40th birthdays in this hotel in late April 2010. The hotel was obviously quiet which suited us, mainly the retired crowd. Having 5 children of our own we were happy to be in peace and quiet all week. The hotel is very clean, modern and the food was excellent. the staff incredibly helpful and friendly. Having a beach view from every room is lovely and being able to walk from the hotel along the boardwalk and straight onto the beach was a bonus, we took a stroll every morning.

We hired a car in a nearby town for a couple of days and went to Seville for the day...which was a little hair raising at times, but I think that was down to our lack of planning.
Outdoor pool nice but still very cold in aspril,indoor pool is lovely, perhaps a little small but the carribean storm shower is fantastic.

All in all a perfect week was had."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of November 2010

Just returned from a wonderful stay at t...

Reviewed Thu 7th of August 2008

"Just returned from a wonderful stay at the fantastic Eurotel . Three adults and 3 children aged 5, 8 and 10. Hotel spotless, food fantastic and plenty of variety. Staff were faultless, extremely obliging and very friendly. There was some in house entertainment that occupied the kids, but this would not satisfy teenagers, or young adults without children. The hotel has obviously developed its' facilties since the negative reviews in March of this year and there was plenty to occupy the kids with crazy golf, play area and other table sports available. Just a stones throw from a fab beach, with some nice, and cheap, restaurants nearby to satisfy three children! Would definetely recommend this hotel, and I must admit it felt more like a 4 or 5 star hotel than a 3. The weather was suberb, tans all round. I have never written a holiday review before, but all 3 adults were so impressed with our stay, we felt we had to let you know.

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2008

Great hotel if your looking for a quiet...

Reviewed Wed 16th of July 2008

"Great hotel if your looking for a quiet relaxing holiday although a little too quiet for my two teenage daughters - however there is night life in the nearby Monte Gordo which you'll need a taxi (about 7 euros) to.
The staff are very helpful and friendly providing you with whatever information you require and the atmosphere is calming. The hotel is very clean as it has just been refurbished although we experience tiny ants in our room which were sprayed as soon as we reported it.
You don't have to fight for the sunbeds at the pool side either as the beach is on your doorstep so beds are not always full. There is another great outdoor comfy seating area which is under shade if you fear the sun.
The evening meal was a buffet with limited choice so not the best but adequate - desserts were yum though so you can forget your diet!
The hotel is rated as 3 star and it compared very well to other 3 stars, I would say it was more like a 4 star in my opinion - definately one I'd go to again.
So all in all, a great place to relax and unwind with quiet strolls on the beach and in the small village but not brilliant if you're looking for lively, busy holiday with loads of entertainment laid on.
Hope this helps!"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of July 2008

This is a lovely hotel ,clean lovely loc...

Reviewed Thu 19th of June 2008

"This is a lovely hotel ,clean lovely location ,friendly staff ,but it lacks atmostphere,tennis court and mini golf not finished,poor entertainment and the food bland ,with little choice. Hotel room was modern and spacious with television,mini bar and air conditioning,all rooms have a balcony with sea view which is stunning and the whole hotel is kept really clean."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of June 2008

Booked this Holiday through Fisrt Choice...

Reviewed Sun 23rd of March 2008

"Booked this Holiday through Fisrt Choice for first two week in March 2008. They neglected to tell us it was a building site with major ongoing work (it had been going on since November 2008 and they have a rep. in situ at the Hotel so no excuses). There was NO swimming pool, NO gardens to sit in just diggers, tractors and an army of workmen, which started at 7:30am. Not the relaxing Holiday we paid for. When complained have been offered £66 worth of vouchers as compensation.
All that aside the staff tried their best to make it seem like a Holiday, although the Hotel charged us seven and a half Euroes to play tennis on their building site tennis courts. We had to abandon it after awhile as were sick of climbing over building materials to retrieve the balls.
I am sure when it is finished it will be nice as in a beautiful setting. Wouldn't advice it for at least 3 months.
If no building work would have rated it higher."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of March 2008

There is serious building work going on...

Reviewed Mon 3rd of March 2008

"There is serious building work going on at this hotel at the moment with building equipment all over the resort. And no swimming pool. First Choice have not been helpful and want to charge 200 euros for a move to a hotel that is not a building site"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of March 2008

Great choice, its up to you to set your own pace

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"All is not what it seems in a good way!! Before heading off my friend and I had a last minute panic attack that Altura would be too quiet for our tastes, even though its been a long time since we have seen the inside of a night club!!!

We were pleasantly surprised by how much choice there was. On this hols, you can make it as active or chilled as you want. From wandering out to the pool, to sauntering to the beach or even leisurely walking to the restaurants - everything is in easy reach. There is plenty of choice locally and it is all at a very good standard.

For those in search of more adventure there are lots of things to explore on foot, in the car or on an organised tour. The beach stretches for miles, and at this time of year, was hardly used.

I must say that the staff are incredibly helpful and even handled me being slightly stressed on arrival really well. On initial judgement the decor seemed dated and yet it grew on me. The room is spacious and are well maintained with all the conveniences I would expect.

Above all, no matter where we went, the hotel is clean, well run and friendly, which is just what we needed in order to unwind.

The beach lives up to its promise as it is literally a 2 min walk. A tip would be to negotiate if you want to buy an umbrella on the beach, the more days you book, the better rate you will get.

If you do fancy a little venture out, I HIGHLY recommend Tavira, it has to be seen and experienced. If you like a little bit of English Gastro with a Portuguese twist then the restaurant near the castle is really worth the walk.

I liked the hotel so much I told some of my friends, some have booked for later in the year, others have already popped out, and enjoyed it as much as we did. Oh and I will be going back soon........too!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of November 2007

Total chillout time

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We have recently returned from a two week stay at this hotel, absolutly brilliant, The food was excellant and plenty of it, if you want a holiday with a lot pf nightlife then you will be dissapointed but if you want to totally relax and take it easy then pay it a visit. the beach is only a stones throw away out the back gate, and a superb snack bar selling alsorts on the beach. the pool was always kept really clean . the rooms were spotless at all times as was the hotel itself, there was some entertainment a few nights but not every night, mind you the little village outside the hotel has some nice little glop shops ( bars) and it was lovely in the evenings to just go and sit with the locals and watch the world go by. The portuguese people were very friendly and made you feel really welcome were ever you went. The staff at the hotel were always very friendly and helpful. We will most definitly be making a return visit in the not too distant future."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of September 2007

Having read reviews on this site and spe...

Reviewed Mon 23rd of July 2007

"Having read reviews on this site and spent a long period of time with first choice selecting the perfect holiday that met all the needs of my family we were very disappointed with the two week break we have just returned from.

From appearance the hotel is tastefully decorated and easy on the eye. However when we first arrived to commence the holiday we were met with rude and un-helpful welcome.

There was no assistance with luggage nor an explanation of the hotel and it was clear we struggled to get through the very slow revolving door with a small child and infant in a buggy. After waiting for a very long time for lifts that appear to of reached the end of their life cycle we then found we had been placed in a room that had the beautiful sea view obscured by the large yellow dome above the anti room.

Weary from the early start and travel we decided to put the first impressions aside and un pack. We noticed that the room did not have tea/coffee making facilities which caused me alarm as my infant would require boiled water a simple requirement.

Again I was met with a rude receptionist who was unwilling to assist me in any way so I was left to deal with my request via the holiday representative the following day.

We found the food very repetitive and not child friendly and after staying in the hotel for two weeks it was clear that the menu was set on a seven day turn a round which meant instead of having a varied choice for breakfast you only had the same item on the same day each week with the standard cold buffet the same each day.

Evening meals were an improvement however it became apparent that the meat choice that evening would become compatible with the rice or pasta the following evening.

I found the pool bar over priced and again repetitive and staff struggled to understand the orders as on three occasions the order was received wrong.

The maintenance was poor as our room had three door knobs broken, noisy air con and a sink tap that leaked all over the floor whilst running. The lifts are definitely in need of updating as they are extremely slow and have doors that close on you before you enter the carriage fully.

On one very embarrassing evening when I gently moved the table to accommodate the infant buggy, a table leg fell off and caused a riot with the dinning room staff.
We did find the cleanliness of a good standard and the room maids very helpful and friendly.

We found the entertainment in the hotel very poor and the kids club facilities advertised by first choice were none existent at this hotel except on the one day a British film crew arrived on behalf of travel agents.

All in all a very poor holiday and I struggle to understand why First Choice have rated this facility their 3 star plus. A question I will be putting to them.

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of July 2007

Nice but not amazing

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"This hotel is certainly a nice place to stay, and you are guaranteed to have a relaxing time - so long as you remember that it is only a 3* and is, therefore, not particularly luxurious. To be honest, there are 4* hotels in other parts of Europe which are better and cheaper than this one.

The best bit is being so close to the beach and having great views from the balconies. The worst bit is probably the food which is just dull and the village of Altura which is small and quite forgettable.

I've rated it above average though because overall we had a great time chilling out at the pool / beach etc. or drinking wine on the balcony - and the weather was beautiful."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of July 2007

We three girls (well, ok, young at heart...

Reviewed Thu 12th of July 2007

"We three girls (well, ok, young at heart early fifties) have just returned from the Eurotel.

I know you can't book weather but it was absolutely perfect, not a cloud in the clear blue sky all week. As for the hotel, it was actually our second choice but proved to be an excellent one.

Its position is perfect, only a very short walk from the beach. We could not fault the hotel in any way, spotlessly clean, airy (although can only speak for our room which was the twin that sleeps 2-4), all rooms with sea view, small but adequate balcony, air conditioning, plenty of electric sockets (and not all hidden under tables etc!)

The swimming pool was lovely and the top edging tiles were scrubbed every morning (as witnessed from our 8th floor balcony). Dining facilities timed to perfection, terrace bar opening when breakfast finished (10am) till 6pm with adequate choice of snacks & drinks.

They now have Sangria down to a fine art!

Maybe three minor points - the hotel entertainment finished quite early in the evening and would perhaps keep more people in the bar/lounge area if it continued a bit later. The evening meal, whilst of a very good standard, could perhaps do with one more choice for the veggie people and finally, beware the cost of the hotel sunbeds on the beach - expensive!

We paid 24Euros for 3 beds & 2 umbrellas for one day (those by the pool are free) but then again it IS the Algarve! The area is quiet with a few bars but Monte Gordo is only a 7Euro taxi ride away.

All in all, a fabulous holiday, friendly staff and no hesitation in returning in the future. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Thu 12th of July 2007

A quiet week at the Eurotel

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We went for a quiet, relaxing week.... and that is exactly what we got! This hotel mainly caters for the older generation, and as a couple in our 30s, we were easily the youngest there!! However, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was very clean in all areas, inc the poolside. The hotel overlooks the beach, which was one of the nicest we've ever seen. The food was the only downside. It was very mediocre and basic. We are not fussy eaters, and manged to eat our fill; but don't expect culinary delights!! Don't let the food put you off, as this hotel was great in all other aspects. The village of Altura is very small, and very quiet. We walked to Monte Gordo (and hours walk each way) which is the nearest large town, as we were getting a bit bored! If you're looking for a very quiet break, then this is ideal. Otherwise, you're best to look elsewhere...."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of May 2007

Hotels near Eurotel Altura

Top traveller tips for Eurotel Altura

• jilly by jilly

"Great location if you don't want nightclubs "

Eurotel Altura is also called