vila petra

Reviewed Mon 13th of June 2011

"Stayed in Vila Petra last week ,have to say was very pleased ,rooms cleaned every day and clean towels,outdoor and indoor pool lovely ,mini market and laundrette excellent ,all staff very nice except 1 grumpy auld lad think he was manager ,but i will say be carefull when opening the sliding doors in the rooms i caught my finger in 1 on the first night there nearly took top of my finger,set in a nice quiet relaxed area ,but yet within minutes walking distance of everything,the strip is very busy and loud at night not very suitable for kids,old town was 4.25 in a taxi and was more suitable for the kids ,the sholam restaurant well woth a visit in old town great food and good price."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of June 2011

Management of this Apartment Complex should seriously review it's policies regarding the reporting of apartment damages by Maids before they ruin the integrity of the place.

Reviewed Fri 27th of May 2011

"Hello out there.Be very careful when staying at the Vila Petra Apartments, Albuferia.The Maids are programmed to look out for the smallest of marks,breaks or others while cleaning your room, "as I learned on the morning of my departure".My family and I spent a week in a two bedroom apartment here recently.We had a nice pleasant stay,the rooms,pool,reception staff,bar and weather were good.
The only gripe I have with this place is that when checking out at 6.30am in the morning with my family the clerk at the hotel reception informed me that I was being charged €4.00 for breakages.I was shocked, but even more shocked with the minuteness of the alleged offence that occured in our apartment"which we have no honest memory of doing".
Out from under his counter "low and behold" he produced a small square shaped piece of oven glove material the size of a kids story book,where he pointed to a cent sized burn mark to the corner of it, which he said I marked during my stay with them.
I am very respective towards other peoples property and would never go out of my way to damage same.
All I'm telling you is that there is a lot of more expensive items in their apartments, so if you ever decide to stay there BE VERY CAREFUL.
The last night of our stay we said that we would return here again next year.Now,after this incident a sour taste has developed in my mouth that cements the fact that we will NEVER return to Vila Petra again.
Management should seriously look at their hotel policies regarding areas such as this,as to be fair this has defniently detered us from returning here again.
It's a pity. "

• Travel date: Thu 26th of May 2011

our holiday

Reviewed Mon 27th of October 2008

"Lovely hotel--very clean and well kept--2 bed apartment was fabulous, very spacious and well equipped--location suited us well--close to strip but not noisy or disturbed in any way- resort as expected,lots of bars and restaurants and gift shops--excursions over priced as usual,next time I'd book them myself--teenagers all happy,until it was time to come home!!--one warning,surface immediately at poolside like sandpaper and my son cut his hands!!--Staff?? Not the friendliest but not unpleasant-- Overall a good holiday with good accomodation and great weather. I would go back."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of October 2008

Very large apartment with fully equipped...

Reviewed Wed 8th of October 2008

"Very large apartment with fully equipped kitchen. Comfortable lounges and bar area with entertainment every night. Great range of facilities such as outdoor and indoor pools, fitness centre, good restaurant and snack bar. All staff, from reception to cleaning to restaurant and bar staff were just perfect. Ideal location. Nice and quiet but just a short walk from the strip. Although the strip is mostly for the younger set there is a great variety of shops and bars for everyone. The 'old town' has great restaurants and is a €5 taxi ride away. The hotel staff will book the taxi for a nominal fee (50c). We will be back!!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

After reading so many positive reviews i...

Reviewed Sun 31st of August 2008

"After reading so many positive reviews i really thought i was on to a winner! When you check in you are reminded that the soiling of sheets will be charged, not the best welcome. Two bed apartment was indeed spacious but a rusty dishwasher,very dusty lampshades did not make up for that.Very little equipment actually worked the gym was useless tennis and table tennis old and tatty football table broken as was pool table.The manager walked around with a long face yelling at small children for playing ball on the grass."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

What a great place, we really enjoyed ou...

Reviewed Fri 2nd of May 2008

"What a great place, we really enjoyed our stay here and would certainly go back. The apartment was spacious and very well kept, the staff were friendly and helpful and the facilities are great. In our opinion David the barman just had the edge at making the cocktails - but all were very drinkable. It was still low season when we were there so lots of space to spread out and relax in the hotel and around the pool which was really well cared for as were all the grounds. We were in the second apartment block and it was so peacful and quite.
My only gripes were with the First choice rep, firstly when we were there it was independance day and the rep didn't mention anything about any events that may be on - we found out from the staff at the hotel. Also we booked a trip which was a river cruise - the hour and a half transfer took two hours and twenty minutes and then this trip which we had all been really looking forwad to wasn't at all what we had been lead to believe it was. The "enterainment" at the restaurant was very holiday camp from the 1960's - the birdy song - need I say more. However the complete opposite is the Jeep safari - absoultly fantastic, Chicken Jorge our driver was a mind of information - don't know how he knows it all - or apparently everyone."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of May 2008

We had a two bedroomed apartment, which...

Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2008

"We had a two bedroomed apartment, which was extremely spacious and well kept. (The whole premises were very clean and tidy at all times.) We had a cot supplied and ready upon arrival. Our room at the rear of property overlooking pool, which didnt receive any sun unfortunately (probabley due to time of year I guess). This was dissapointing as the rooms at the front enjoyed sunshine all day!
Reasonabley priced and stocked mini market on-site and useful laundrette too!
We travelled with family of mixed ages, and at this time of year found the accomdation to be too far out. A long way from the beach, a good walk to a bit of life. Quite hilly, as personally we enjoy a nice promenade to walk up and down. We spent a lot of money on taxis to nearby resort of Villamora (14-18 Euros each way), which we found more suitable for our needs. (Flat, plenty of shops and resturants open, pretty marina and lovely easily assesible beach.)
Getting back to the Villa Petra - the indoor pool was a diamond for us, as it enabled the kids to swim! Pool tables too, however very little else to entertain.
Limited hours of opening at Snack Bar - shuting as you get back from your days out (4pm in winter.) Pricey evening meals, not really ideal for larger families. Every night except Friday we were the only guests in bar. Felt quite lonely really! Probably not ideal for families in Winter in my opinion.
First Choice representation very good and attentive. 10/10 for the rep - lovely fella.
Reception staff, cleaners and waiters all very attentive and polite, no complaints there either.
In summary this is a well maintained accomodation, with generous sized rooms. I do not feel its ideal for families in low season, just too quiet and too far away from beach.

• Travel date: Thu 7th of February 2008

What a fabulous place!! Best Holiday eve...

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2007

"What a fabulous place!! Best Holiday ever. Hotel was perfect for a thirty something couple with no kids. A really relaxed atmosphere with no rushing in the morning for a sunbed. Infact you could get one any time of day because our fellow guests followed the signs asking for beds not to be reserved. Let’s face it Albufeira is a party resort and you don't want to be up at the crack of dawn. Talking of which, great nights out were had, long meals sitting outside in the cool evenings. No bad meals except my partner had really tough meat at O Leos, but my fish was beautiful, I think he was just unlucky. Loved Silk restaurant next door though. We visited the Indian Opposite Stones bar several times and although it was different it is the best Indian I've ever had abroad. If you like Chinese I recommend giving the big restaurant on the strip a swerve, there was nothing wrong with it but a bit impersonal, instead try the one a bit further down opposite the Kilt and Kelt Scottish bar. If you get a window seat you can watch your fellow holiday makers stagger out of there after too much holiday cheer. We are not kids ourselves but if you like to dance and people watch the Garage Bar was fun, try a Big Dick cocktail. The Anchor Pub was a bit dirty and the toilets were disgusting, but there are so many bars to choose from so pick another. Although the night time is lively it's not too crazy and I always felt safe. For a nice drink, some music and a relaxing time go along to Stones or Bunnys bar (turn right away from the strip) where the drinks are cheaper and you get a full pint. The lads in Stones are lovely. The beach was a bit far from the hotel to walk (and that hill is a killer, we are both regular gym goers and it was too steep for us) but the hotel provide a courtesy bus. To be honest though we preferred the pool. Would I go back? Do you need to ask? Tomorrow and to stay forever. Keep playing the lottery!!"

• Travel date: Wed 10th of October 2007

Stayed here for a week in the Easter hol...

Reviewed Mon 20th of August 2007

"Stayed here for a week in the Easter holidays. Very pleasant hotel which was quiet even during Easter holidays.

Spacious apartment with excellent facilities in the kitchen including dishwasher, oven, toaster and microwave.

A few bars around the area which were nice but still quiet in the evening time because the hotel is not directly on 'the strip'. The pool was a good size and plenty of sun loungers. The gym looked really nice although I didn’t manage to drag myself there from the sun.

Supermarket attached to hotel was reasonable although there’s a more comprehensive one around the corner from it. Staff all seemed really nice and I would definitely stay here again on self catering basis as hotel restaurant looked a bit pricey.

• Travel date: Mon 20th of August 2007

Excellent apartments the rooms were very...

Reviewed Mon 11th of June 2007

"Excellent apartments the rooms were very clean and spacious.

The rooms were cleaned every day with clean towels provided daily.

The apartments are set in beautiful gardens with tennis courts and a large swimming pool.

There is also an indoor pool and fitness centre. The pool area's were kept very clean and tidy.

Food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. We are looking forward to returning next year."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Fantastic Place

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Having just stayed at the Vila Petra for a week on 10 march 2007 I can do nothing but praise this accommodation. HAving been a travel agent for over 10 years my expectations are pretty high and I have travelled to many places. The Vila Petra has got to be the best self catering accommodation I have ever stayed in. We had a studio and could not believe the size of the room, the kitchen was not a little poky thing it was fully fitted and very new included a microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker and all the untesils you can think of. The rooms were cleaned every day to a very high standard. The weather was extemely good for the time of year 22 degrees every day and not a cloud in the sky! The pool area and the facilities are fantastis including an indoor pool.

The staff were all very friendly and happy to teach us a bit of Portuguese. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant so could not comment on the food but it seemed a little pricey.

We ate at FARNEL'S which is just down the strip 'it was a recommendation' on looking at the place it looks a little like a shaby cafe but the food is very good and resonable priced, unlike FREDI's which is 100 meter away and charge's 3 times the price for a prawn cocktail....that FARNELL's do just as good. Another great place to eat was the 'AMERICAN DINER' which is close to the apartments the staff were friendly and the food portions are 'AMERICAN SIZE....HUGE!!! Paradise is also a resonable priced restaurant, bit more english on the menu if that's your thing.

We hired a car which I would recommend as the ALGARVE is very pretty.
We went to some very Portuguese towns were the mode of transport is still a 'donkey & cart'. Make sure you buy some ORANGES from the local roadside people they are the best you will ever taste 3kg for between 1.50 - 3.00 euros.

Although we went out of season when 'the strip' is a little quieter it would even be a good location in busy times as the accommodation is just off the strip in a quiet little side road.

The beach was about 15 minutes walk away but be prepared on the way back to trek up 'cardiac hill'. The accommodation do run a courtesey bus though in peak season. The beach was a lovely golden beach not huge so could get busy in peak season.

We had a FANTASTIC time at the hotel and would definetly reccommend this place for couples,familes and more mature traveller's."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of March 2007

What a week!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Unfortunately we went to the Algarve during the half term week. It was not overly busy, but the weather was incliment. During the whole week we had approx 7 hours of sun-not exactly what we had hoped for!
I can only advise car hire for this resort. The shops were the usual tacky souvenir type places with some expensive supermarkets there also. We walked the 40 min trek to Albufeira twice, which was quite nice to visit but very touristy. i know the Algarve is full of some pretty places to visit, so you would do well to hire a car.

The apartments were situated off of "The Strip" and the blocks were quite attractive to look at...one of the nicest in the area. The public areas were smart and spottlessly clean. The gardens were beautiful and we would liked to have overlooked this although you would get a bit of noise from the evening entertainment. From experience it was bingo, quizzes and an awful dj playing music from about 15 years ago!
Having said that, i would recommend asking for a room overlooking the gardens.
Our 2 bed apartment overlooked the street and we suffered noise from waste collections and delivery drivers at 6am. Ok if you are early risers...but we are not!
The apartment was spotless, well equipped but rather stark. The 2nd bedroom being an internal room had no window which was a little gloomy (also no air con unit).
Unfortunately we were burgled whilst sleeping here, the intruder forced open the door leading to balcony. Be warned they open from both sides!
We had little support from the hotel staff and no joy with our complaint to the travel operator. I won't be travelling with this particular operator again.

All in all, the hotel was clean and tidy. The facilities were good (except expensive indoor pool) and it was family friendly. please ask for a garden view though and always lock away any valuables.
i hope you find this review helpful"

• Travel date: Tue 9th of January 2007