Vista aérea | Aerial view

Hotel is ok

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Whilst this hotel was ok i expected more . Our room was average and faced a busy road and car park..to move we had to pay a fee as was south and sea facing and classed as superior. The facility was bed and breakfast whuch was very good. Good choice .. We also liked our location very central to old and new town although only visited new town 1 time as it really is for the younger crowd. The old town is great very traditional, lots of character. Fabulous restaurants well varied and a range if prices. The beach is stunning with good access via steps ,escalator and a lift. Lots of intresting little stalls adorn the cobbled streets. Many evenings there was entertainment in the streets . Our flight time was only 2 an a bit hours with ryan air.(good service) Our transfer from the airport was yellowfishtransfers com an took 30 minutes (also very good service)with a free gift at arrival to the hotel. I would use the flight and transfer again . Maybe it just didn't suit me as other people rate it"

• Travel date: 30th October 2012

Not a 4* hotel

Reviewed 24th August 2010

"Have just returned from 2 wks in albufeira. On arrival at the hotel, the outside looks nothing like the photos, they really do it justice. However the public areas and hotel rooms are very nice and clean. The pool side bar however was not the table were very dirty and didnt have enough ashtrays, we asked for a ashtray and were given a plastic cup with ice in. The staff were not very friendly at all apart from a couple. The gym and the dog and duck pub were not air conditioned plus you will need a mortgage to drink in there. Overall very disappointed with the hotel and portugal i think it was portugese fortnight when we were there. The portugese people not very friendly. On the plus side the weather was great and vilamoura marina is well worth seeing. But will not be visiting portugal again."

• Travel date: 24th August 2010

Me and my girlfriend have just return fr...

Reviewed 2nd August 2007

"Me and my girlfriend have just return from the Cerro Alagoa and had a fantastic time staying in this hotel. The hotel is very modern with a great pool and pool bar with very friendly staff that couldn’t do enough for you, the rooms are very nice and were cleaned every day. The breakfast was a buffet and there was no limits to how much you can have, which we liked!! The hotel is situated within about a 5 mins walk to the old town ( the square ) which is packed with countless nice restaurants and bars suitable for couples and families, Bravo, and Bank bar are musts for their lovely steaks. Overall I would really recommend staying at this hotel and we would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2007

Awesome Time

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Dates June 27/06-July 3/06 Started this trip by landing in Lisbon on the 24th of June and driving down to the Albufeira, Algarve on the 27th. The checkin was great as all staff where friendly and spoke English well, they had overbooked the basic rooms so gave us a free upgrade for our entire stay. The room was large with a king size bed a seperate room with a sofa and dining table and a large bathroom. The a/c worked well and was controlled by remote which was different for us. The hotel itself had many features an outdoor pool and indoor pool with jacuzzi , the down fall here is if you want to use sauna you need to pay a little extra. The hotel comes with breakfast included and has many selections of food its just like ordering in a restaurant and not your continental breakfasts you have eggs, bacon, fruits, cereal and much more. The hotel also has a pub at -1 floor as is the norm in Europe and is more of an English pub geared to the many English that travel to Albufeira. The hotel will also plan any site seeing tours for you at reasonable prices and we took advantage of going to Sevillha, Spain for a day for a mere $28 Euros by bus its about 2 and 1/2 hours each way. The hotel is also a short walking distance to the small town village with a beach and many shops and restaurants that are dirt cheap, id say a good stroll is about 10 minutes to get their on foot or you can take hotel shuttle bus. Overall had a great time their and loved seeing Portugal knock out the English in the World Cup in the village with all the Portuguese and English fans going nuts all game. Tip*** The Portuguese are very friendly and laid back, if you try a bit to speak their language i find the service gets even better then it normally is."

• Travel date: 6th August 2006

Great holiday!

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Visited this hotel late June, early July. Booked everything online and we were a little nervous. There was no need! Impressive hotel with very smooth check in. Given towel cards on arrival which let us collect fresh towels for the pool every day - brilliant (especially as this hadn't been advertised). Rooms were exactly as the pictures show. We were on the side of the busy road. Noise was minimal as the balcony doors could remain closed at night (air conditioning excellent!). Balcony was a little close to the one next door but not a huge problem. Breakfast was great. Plenty of choice (need some British sausages though!). Pretty busy but staff cleared tables quickly and replenished any fininshed buffet items. Pool was beautiful (updated since many of the online photos). It's also bigger than it looks! One problem was the sunloungers. They were reserved VERY early in the day and many mornings there were none left by 8:30am. Pretty ridiculous. There is a courtesy bus to the beach. My husband had his birthday while we were there and we had placed a few cards up in the room. When we returned, there was a complimentary bottle of wine in an ice bucket with some little nibbles! This was a really lovely touch as I hadn't mentioned his birthday at all. The maid must have informed the hotel which was lovely and very much appreciated. We got a really great deal online for this hotel and we would go again in a flash. We walked all the time (though the train was right outside). The strip and the Old Town were in easy reach of this hotel. I would try for a poolside room and possibly a suite - they looked fantastic!"

• Travel date: 2nd August 2006

lovely hotel

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"Just back from a holiday with my wife. we were very impressed with this hotel, from arriving (a member of staff came out and carried our luggage into the hotel, then up to our room), dining and drinking in the bar the staff were very helpful. the room was cleaned every day. we were on the 2nd floor and on the garden/pool side, well worth the extra cost, as for the banging doors I only heard them a couple of times over the week and they certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment of an excellent hotel. Its also perfectly situated between the old town and the strip. use the train/bus to get around the town, the day tickets at 3 euros are well worth the money. ps. if you don't want to use the revolving doors there is doors to either side of them that are open"

• Travel date: 31st July 2006

Please fix the prison doors.

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"This Vila Gale' chain hotel had very noisy doors that were banged shut 24 hours a day. It sounded like prison doors being slammed shut. I've never been in prison but I've seen it on tv. Somehow they need to pad the doors. Also at the main front door is revolving and very tricky to get into lobby with your luggage. The reception desk folks just stood and watched us struggle with our luggage and the doors. We paid extra for a seaview room but the sea was very far away and you had to strain your neck to see it. The hotels had computers but quite expensive and tricky to get online. It was very crowded at breakfast. The pub and pool were very nice."

• Travel date: 16th July 2006

June 22, 2006 A TripAdvisor Member in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"We stayed at this holiday on 22nd June 2006. We were allocated a garden room which we paid extra when booking this holiday. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed in the room that we were allocated on arrival room 214. The bathroom needed reburishment, the tiles were cracked and the grout around the bath was black, thick dust on the air conditioning, the wall socket was hanging out the wall and the room was dirty. We were not happy with this room and asked to be moved. They did eventually move us to another room which was totally different. The staff on reception were exremely unfriendly towards us after our complaint. We loved Albuferia and the people but we would not advise anyone booking this hotel due to the problems that we had experienced on the first day of our holiday. I do not believe that this hotel is 4 star rating. We completed a complaint form with Thomas Cook. We did enjoy Albufeira especially the Old Town and the people but would not go back to this hotel. Teresa and Eddie"

• Travel date: 15th July 2006

Lovely hotel, great location, cute baby seagulls

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We've just come back from a week at the Cerro Alagoa. It's a lovely hotel, very clean, friendly staff and I would highly recommend it. The hotel is in a great location, a short walk from 2 supermarkets, a small mall and several restaurants. It is on a main road, but we requested a garden view (which costs a bit extra) and the noise from the road couldn't be heard. They do have entertainment in the bar a couple of times a week which we could hear on the 4th floor, but it finished at about 1am and wasn't a real problem. We were upgraded to a junior suite (which was a nice surprise!) which included 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living / dining / kitchen area, which was very impressive. The bathrooms were luxurious, although some of the furniture in the rooms were a little worn. We stayed in room 438 on the 4th floor and there was a great view of the sea in the distance. There was a family of seagulls living on our balcony - the 2 babies were so cute! The adults did squawk a bit at first, but soon got used to our presence and we rather enjoyed watching them! Got some great pictures too! :o) The beach / old town are about a 5-10 minute walk. But be warned there are 76 uneven steps down to the old town and beach or slightly less (about 50, though evenly spaced) steps down to Praia do Inatel beach. The 76 steps are quite rough on the way back up and the walk back to the hotel takes a bit longer because it's uphill. If you're tired after a long day I'd recommend getting a taxi which costs 3.25 euros - much less than the train which costs 2 euros per person. The breakfasts were amazing. They were buffet-style and the choice and quality was excellent (and I'm a very fussy eater!). There was everything from bacon and eggs to fruit, cereal, cold meat and even cake! (Weird!) All in all, highly recommended. We can't wait to go back there next year!"

• Travel date: 14th July 2006

Noisiest Hotel I Have Ever Visited !

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Although the Cerro Alagoa is a very nice looking hotel it is extremely noisy. For some unknown reason the doors to all the rooms have to be slamed with force to close them. When guests are reterning at the wee hours of the morning this is very annoying.Also when we stayed there they had problems with fitting everyone in at breakfast, this lead to throngs of people waiting around trying to be seated."

• Travel date: 13th July 2006

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Just returned yesterday from a weeks holiday here with my husband and I'm already looking for prices for next year. This was our first time in Portugal and I don't think we could have chosen a better place to stay, the Hotel was spotlessly clean and all staff were very friendly, I thought the pool looked small in the brochure but it was actually quite big and there was plenty of room for the sunloungers so they weren't all crammed together, there is also a playpark area for kids, The pool bar was great for lunch or just a beer. The location of the hotel was ideal we were just over a 5 minute walk from the old town and the beach, but if you wanted to go into the new town the train stopped right outside the hotel, this was 3 euro for a day ticket and they run every 20 minutes from 9.20am till 3.20am so great for getting home from a night out and no queuing for a taxi. We preferred the old town in the evening although quite busy it had a laidback very friendly atmosphere and there was a great choice of restaurants and bars to choose from, the strip in the new town was quite loud and slightly tacky but it was great that you had the choice."

• Travel date: 10th July 2006

Top Class Hotel

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"My Fiance & I have just returned from a weeks holiday in Albufeira, Not only was I impressed with the town the hotel was superb. I would go as far as saying it has been the most enjoyable stay I have had in any hotel. By this I mean that it has done all the basic stuff you would like to expect superbly. The hotel was spotlessly clean, this includes the room, the pool area & the hotel in general. The location of the hotel is faultless, you are a 10 minute walk from the old town & the beach area. You also have the local bus stop outside the hotel which takes you to the party area known as the strip, this is no more than a 10 minute ride away. The hotel is also family friendly, the hotel pool area provides a kids pool & kids entertainment. During my stay there was a mix of guests from families, couples & all male & female parties. The hotel caters for all types of guests. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone & will definately use this hotel again myself, 10 out of 10."

• Travel date: 7th July 2006