Torre Velha Hotel

Praia do Castello, Albufeira 8200-388 Portugal

One Of The Best Holidays

"I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want the personal touch. When I booked I was apprehensive having read some of the previous reviews, but what a pleasant surprise. I stayed for 2 weeks with friends at one of the nicest hotels I have been too. Yes it is small and basic, but the staff and owners make you so welcome that you want to go back. The rooms are basic but clean. The food lacks variety but I have to say that I felt that about most of the restaurants in Albufeira. The pool was big enough and there was a great atmosphere amongst the guests. My friends and most of the guests there at the time would agree with my review."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of October 2004

a place to stay?

"All in all, I must admit the majority of the reviews written about the hotel that we read prior to booking, must have been written when the hotel was owned or managed by different people...

We went to Albufeira after five marvelous days spent in Lisbon where we stayed in Novotel (24 Euros/night/person booked on the Internet).
Welcomed by an extermely friendly waiter in Torre Velha (reception was not open at the time of our arrival, 6 p.m.) we rushed to the room. Unfortunately, no precaution had been taken against the exceptional weather, 40C+(the shutters were left open).Therefore as there was no air conditioning, our only respite was a cold shower. However, we were unable to cool this room down throught our stay. Sleeping in a room with no air conditioning proved a challenge (our tip here: try wetting the bed lining with water a few times a night, a damp sheet will enable you to go to sleep but you will still wake up hot).

Being used to continental breakfast with some sort of salad (tomatoes, etc.) this one seemed spartan with tar-like coffee and powdered juice which tasted like cardboard processed with a few drops of orange sirup.

To inform the visitor from the previous year the pool outside is still there, nice, decent size, clean and with sun beds and an outdoor shower provided.
If I were to decide what the worst thing about the place is, I'd definately point out to the quality of cleaning service. The room we stayed in had mould at the bottom of the shower curtain and a very slow water outlet, therefore smelling a little bit.

Although there was a tv and a safe in the room, these could only be used by paying extra... Maybe to fund the owner's extensive collection of whiskeys and model cars. Why not add few euros to the room charge?

The hotel staff were very amicable and helpful and none of our grievances are with them."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of July 2004

A wonderful week

"A lovely relaxing hotel with helpful and friendly staff. The restaurant was well above average and reasonably priced. My first visit but hopefully not my last. Excellent!"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of June 2004

Fantastic week

"Stayed here some years in November - arrived after an horrendoes flight - the plane abandoned landing just before touching down twice because of fog. Finished up refuelling at Seville! so arrived at Torre Velha at 1:30am instaed of 4:30pm - met by hotel manager Fernando (Portugal's version ofJohn Cleese) in shocking mood - we had words then escorted to our room - cold, damp...but the following morning threw the shutters open to a beautiful hot morning and had a fantastic week. you need a car for touring but if you just want to laze about on the beach with its bar/restaurant then its fine."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of March 2004

Quiet, relaxing, friendly and comfortable

Good

"Landed late September and returned 4 October 2003. The staff are very friendly and the food is good but the menu is quiet limited. We went with a group of friends which made it even more enjoyable. Pool is nice and the large gnome (called UB) in a the plant pot has an unusal story.
Abandoned in Telford, rescued and taken to Torre Velha to spend his days in the sun overlooking the pool (any future reviews let us know if he is still there). Lovely beach just 5 minutes walk away with a small eating establishment (expensive). The hotel is a bit out of the way about a 10 - 15 minute taxi ride from Albufeira (8 euros). Enjoyed the week thoroughly and would recommend a visit."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of October 2003

Great relaxing week

Good

"Excellent little hotel if you are looking for a quiet relaxing break.Have just returned(Sept.2003), the rooms are on the small side but clean,though the towels are in need of replacing,could also do with a fridge in the room. Location is next to a German complex where we spent our days,large pool with loads of sun loungers(there is also a hole in the wall machine in this complex). Evening meals in the Torre Velha are OK, there are a few restaurants around about 10/15 minute walk. Breakfast is cereal, rolls, cheese /ham slices, tea coffee. A car would be a good option,there is a car rental office attached to the hotel.Taxi fare into Albufeira is 8 Euros.Bus transfer from Faro is approx.1hr.30mins."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of September 2003

First time visited but not the last time

"We arrived tea time one Saturday evening in June and our first impression was of wanting to get back on the coach and go back home as we appeared to be miles from anywhere,Our party of four after a quick talk decided to give it a go and i can honestly say that we all were glad we stayed as it turned out to be a very good place to stay . The hotel, all staff from house cleaner to management were all first class.
The area itself although very quiet at that time with its nice beaches grew on all of us and we would gladley and will go back again.
R Spencer."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of August 2003

Top notch

Good

"Me and a friend (both 25) booked this the day before we flew. We had no idea where our accomodation was or what it would be like. The room was a good size, with a ceiling fan and balcony. The staff keep it exceptionally clean and were very friendly, especially Miguel and Reubens. The bar is open until 1am and the food is excellent. There is a nice beach just 2 mins walk from the hotel and also a VIP club about the same distance, however, it's difficult to get in if you're not Portugese. I recommend Scooby's pool bar which is nearby and if you visit Buenos, ask for the local 'specialty'. When we stayed there it was a mixture of young and old couples, families and singles, so I'd recommend it for anyone. There was also a mixture of nationalities and you get the odd local in the bar as well. I'd definitely go back."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of August 2003

can't wait to go back!

"Myself (22) and my friend (22)decided we needed a relaxing , sunny holiday but with opportunity for fun as well-and this is what we got at Hotel Torre Velha. It is situated in a relatively quiet area but which has by far and away the best beach ever, just a 2 mintue walk away and it gorgeous weather-hot but with a sea breeze. The Albufeira bars are a short taxi ride away however it is possible to negotiate the local buses too! The staff are great fun, especially Miguel the mad barman who makes fantastic cocktails and the brillant maid service who ensured our room was cleaned every day. Highly recommend the Catamaran day trip and Zoo marina..can't wait for my next visit!!"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of August 2003

Great Little Hotel!

"Myself (25) & my girlfriend (21) booked a last minute, named accommodation holiday in the Algarve, for the first week in July. We were offered the Hotel Vegas (for god's sake don't go there, we've seen it), and Hotel Torre Velha, both in Albufeira.The airport transfer was a little long (aroung 1hr 30mins), because we were the last drop from the airport, but it wasn't too bad as the bus was air conditioned!! Hotel Torre Velha is about 2-3km outside of Albufeira 'old town' and about 4km from the real clubbin' & pubbin' area called 'The Strip'. A taxi will cost you around 7-8 Euro's from Torre Velha to the old town & 9-10 Euro's to the strip.The old town suited me & the missus because there were plenty of bars and restaurants open until 3am, but not so many of the rowdy groups of p*** heads you may find around the strip!! Lovely restaurants right on the beach and excellent food, especially if you love fish! Lots of little shops to look around during the day as well.The hotel is about its rating, and is a comfortable 3 star. Basic but kept immaculately clean every day by the cleaning staff. There are ceiling fans in every room to keep you cool, although, as it gets a bit chilly in the evening with the breeze off the atlantic, we didn't need it much!The hotel has a good size pool for the number of rooms (43, & sunbeds are free), and a nice big bar and restaurant. Bar stays open until 1.00am every night. The staff were brilliant. Bent over backwards & couldn't do enough for you. Always a good laugh and always helpful. Food is of a good standard and reasonably priced. Locally there are various bars and restaurants within 5 mins walk, all serving excellent food. Try the local speciallity 'Chicken Piri Piri'. A local Chinese is particularly good, (and reasonably priced as well). Expect to pay, on average, around 35 Euros for starter, main course and a bottle of wine, for two people, in most restaurants. The only exception is seafood, which, as in most places, is a little more expensive, but among the best you will find anywhere.Not far away is Costelo Beach. It is a lovely little coved beach about 500m walk from the hotel, surrounded by rocky cliffs, for those who prefer the sand & sea!One suggestion though, if you want an active holiday, hire a car and travel around a bit. There is so much to do! Visit Zoomarine about 5 mins by car from the hotel. Great displays by the dolphins, parrots and sealions. You can even pay to swim with the dolphins but it'll cost about 125 Euro's. Several water parks near by and a very big shopping centre for cheap booze & ****!!Weather was lovely. Sunny and hot every day and around 30 degrees.All in all a top quality holiday and we'd love to go back, (would even go back to the same hotel). I Would recommend the hotel and the resort to young couples and families alike."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2003

Poor breakfast and terrible evening meal

"The breakfast is poor you get horrible rolls and thin tasteless ham and cheese or you can have toast and cornflakes there is no fresh orange juice just from a vending machine .
The evening meals that I had for tree nights was horrible I couldn't eat them I done hale way at best to eat them I don't
Recommend going half board as its a waist of money I used the restaurants around the near by area.
Eat out you can get a good breakfast at Scooby's just 200mtr away."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of October 2015

very romantic holiday.

"we are a couple in our fourties who wanted a quiet romantic getaway holiday. after reading reviews we settled on the torre Velha. did not expect 5 star as this was a bugdet holiday, but we got 5 star treatment from the staff and yes the decor may be a litle dated but this added to its charm. the rooms are very spacious all with balconies and fantastic views, with a fridge and a fan which even in mid july was perfectly adequate. the pool area was spotless with plenty of sunbeds and quiet. food in the hotel was good but cannot comment on breakfast as we did not have any. there is a pool bar 5 minutes walk away called scoobies bar. it is english owned and there breakfast was good especially the coffee, they also did snacks and the pool was an unbelievable 15 foot deep. the two beaches within easy walking distance were very beautifull, especially evaristo beach, the most romantic place to be asked to be my boyfriens wife (i said yes). it is a bus or taxi ride into albufeira but busses run frequently and on time, taxi fare about 7 euros. there are plenty of resteraunts in the area with a wide price range. try dom dinis if you want quality and service, but more on the pricy side. pick up the free maps which give you a good idea of the range of resteraunts in the area. if you go into albufeira to eat try Annas for the best steaks we have ever had. there is only one down side to this hotel and that is the weekly kareoke on thursday nights, this was quite noisy and not our thing but you can allways go out for the night. overall one of the best holidays i have ever had. i would reccomend if you want romance and quite holiday with the option of lively night life a taxi ride away. we will definately be back, maybe on honeymoon!! "

• Travel date: Sun 17th of July 2011

Hotels near Torre Velha Hotel

Stayed at Torre Velha Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Torre Velha Hotel