Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, Algarve

Good

It's very good but couple of major issues for us

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"As many have said, this resort is a proper five star experience when it comes to the rooms, the setting and the food for the most part. It's undoubtedly a classy resort and certainly perfect for families with small kids given the lush green areas outside the rooms and around the pool. The real drawbacks are however either overlooked by other reviewers or simply not as much of an issue for the more energetic amongst you. In short, the resort is so large that you have to travel around by a chaotic train system which stops working at peak times. Yes, to be clear, a train which only visits certain spots of the hotel every 30 minutes...and stops at key times of the day....not great with two over heated screaming kids. Secondly, the supposed restaurant choice is not a choice because most of the restaurants are not open unless it's peak season. Again, this means one has to find ways to navigate your way round the never-ending roads and paths to get some food because the good old train ain't operating at that time.

We circumvented this "transport" issue but getting the lovely concierge to come and pick us up each time we wanted to go to the main sheraton resort but it's a pain and feels like you are commuting from Waterloo!

And that's the overall sense of the resort - it's good, it's very good in certain ways. BUT, this isn't truly a hotel experience...it's more like a super-condo experience with pool and half-open restaurant adjoined to a bigger, tired hotel which is bloody miles away unless you are ben fogle and want to walk back and forth every time for 20 minutes!!"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of June 2010

5* Luxury complex all the way......

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"This is by far the best place I have ever been to in the Algarve! It is beautiful and offers everything for anyone. There is shops, supermarkets and restaurants just outside the hotel as we did find eating in was quite expensive.......It has a Spa, 4 Swimming Pools (I think), Health club, Golf and Tennis Courts. Breakfast is all included but did find it quite repeatative. The Apartments are just outstanding with Turndown service and Room service."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of June 2010

Booked a week at Pine Cliffs for April...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Booked a week at Pine Cliffs for April 2010. Great place, very relaxing holiday, stylish resort and rooms, yet still welcoming to families. Got great deal via Expedia: about £900 in luxury apartment. Breakfast included; breakfast is great but expensive if you pay for it each time (€20 pp). Great play area for kids, good tennis and golf, lovely sandy beach and beautiful trees and plants throughout the grounds. BUT when the Icelandic volcano erupted and we had to stay longer they would have charged us €420 pn for our room (no breakfast!), and so we went to a smaller two bedroom 'Golf Suite'. This was really dated and unattractive, and still €260 a night! We moved the next day and it was such a shame. It didn't spoil the holiday, but if they'd rallied round and offered us our old room at the lower price we'd probably gave stayed and enjoyed our time there a lot more. I'd recommend you go to Pine Cliffs, but check what sort of accomodation you're getting and try to get a deal, eg via Expedia. Eating there is also very pricey but you don't really need to if you go selfcatering (good little supermarkets are nearby), and some nice, relatively inexpensive restaurants can bd found. Try Ruina on Albufeira beach for great fish and the piri piri chicken restaurants in Guia."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2010

After initial disappointment I was won round...and would return

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"When we arrived at the resort I was appalled - I hadn't expected anything so big -it is like a small village, and we were on the edge of it, and I thought it very impersonal and not my thing at all. As it was our first night we went to the resort shop and bought some very pricey groceries and I thought, oh no, we are going to be ripped off the whole week....But by day 2 I was feeling happier about it all - the sun was shining, the little bus came to pick us up from our bus stop, and we'd all slept well in accomodation that was, well, big and clean, and pretty luxurious. We went down to the beach in the lift and walked along a bit to the less crowded bit and the kids body surfed and we had a great lunch of fresh fish, and soon I was thinking I'm going to enjoy this. And I did. And funnily enough it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought - but perhaps that was because I agreed to go to a Timeshare presentation - but that's a whole other story.

Final thought - this place is large (with the Sheraton hotel at its centre) and buzzes nicely in Summer but might feel a bit dead in Winter."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of November 2009

Unbelievable Place

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Really excellent place...the beach is amazing, the staff are incredibly helpful, the restaurants are excellent....you won't want to leave..."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of November 2009

Without doubt 5 star accomodation and facilities - but service ?

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at Pine Cliffs Residence and the accomodation was outstanding. As well as being furnished to very high standards, the amount of space was staggering - 2 bedrooms, 2 full sized bathrooms, a kitchen, dining area and sitting area. Perfect for families especially when combined with the great facilities for them - the kids club was very well run and the staff genuinely cared for them. The pools were great (if a bit chilly) and the beach facilities brilliant. All of this for a very reasonable rate and with great weather for late October made this a very succesful and enjoyable holiday BUT . . . I don't believe there was enough staff and this was particularly evident during dinner when the service was very poor - especially when paying 45 Euros per head for a very ordinary buffet dinner. There was no pool service either. In summary, we really loved it but if this was typical of the service, there are better hotels for the 850 Euros per night that Pine Cliffs are charging in the peak summer season."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of November 2009

Fantastic Pine Cliffs

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We spent a week in a 2 bed residence at the Sheraton Pine Cliffs resort with our 9 and 5 year old children. The residence was very comfortable, two good bedrooms, smart bathrooms, and even a well equipped kitchen (not that we used it!). Those staying in the residences are entitled to use all the facilities of the resort including all the pools and the beach. The food in the restaurants was very good but very pricey. Breakfast, for example, if not included in your package will be £55 for a family of 4. Lunch and dinner for the same (and this is assuming young children eating from the childrens menu) will be at least £70 to £90 not including wine. At least with the residences you could do some of your meals yourself. Overal though a great place for a relaxing break."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of September 2009

We couldnot wish for more...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We booked at the Pine cliffs residence for 2 weeks in september 2008. We stayed 3 weeks and came back 2 weeks later in october to stay there for another 2 weeks. So yes, we liked it.
Here is my revieuw:

The Pince sliffs resort has 3 main areas. Hotel, Golfclubhouses and the new area Residence. We stayed at the residence. Its new, layout is very nice and spacious compared to the other 2 areas. Tho I am sure the golfsuites and the hotel are nice aswell, i would recomment the Residence.
It consists of about 15 buildings spread out in a large area aroun the golflinks. Every building has 3 floors. On every floor there are 2 and 3 bedroom appartments. We stayed in both, both times on the groundfloor, because we have little kids and we want them to be able to walk out and play on the grass. Wich is perfect there, big lawns, plenty of space. Its safe area for kids.

The appartments are brand new and have everything you would want in it. Big beds, nice bedrooms, extremely nice towels, and a very very nice rainshower wich is actually powerfull!
I could write a long story about the appartments but just trust me..its faultless. Everything is there, washing, dryer, dishwasher etc. AND it has hotelservice. So every day its cleaned, beds are changed, new towels etc. You can make it selfcatering but if you dont want to, then dont.
The resort itself is very well maintained, beautifull grounds and spacious. The beach is nice, beautifull walk to get there but not easy :) Its a lot of walking on the resort but we found it a pleasure doing so, as it was relaxing and nice. There is also a shuttle going around the resort but its slow, bumpy and only once an hour. Fun for the kids but thats about it.

Prices are high on the resort. Too high compared to what you get for it sometimes (5 euro for a bottle of water is way over the top Mr. Pine cliffs. Specially since one cannot drink the tapwater there! Be ashamed!)
Now the resort is not cheap to stay anyways and luckily we can afford this all but dont be surprised if your roombill is as much as the complete stay there in the end.

The kidsclub is great. You pay per day or half a day, including lunch or pick up before lunch. Ou youngest kids are 2 and 3. We brought them for half a day every other day and did something relaxing ourselfs at those times. (i can recommend just about anything they offer in the beautycentre)
Very important: Its SAFE. I cannot understand a previous comment of parent saying its not safe, specially considering the Maddy thing. Excuse me....Maddy was left ALONE in an appartment at night with the doors open. This is a fenced kids clib with well trained supervisors. Yes, every parent with kids can walk in and play on the large playgrounds there but the kids of the kidsclub are secluded from that and in groups with their guardiaans doing organised things. They could NOT walk off, not could they be picked up by anybody else but the one signing for it when they are brought in. I felt 100% comfortable bringing them there. The kids club is located on big playing grounds wich are also fenced but wich are open to parents and kids who want to play and not want to bring their kids in the guarded club. So dont be fooled by ppl who have no clue. Its safe and my kids loved it. If my kids are safe, i can enjoy my private time fully.
The kidsclub was the main reason we chose this resort and the main reason we came back and will go back. It makes my holiday perfect.

There are several restaurants. They all serve good food, all a bit different. We had good food every evening, but where very disappointed when we hired a babysitter to eat in the lobster restaurant together for once, and the lobster was sold out already when we arrived at 8pm. I found that a very bad experience, specially because they advertised with LOBSTEREVENING.

Swimmingpools at Residence are the nicest ones but they are not heated so they can be a bit cold out of season. The looks make up for it tho.
The staff in general is very friendly, but bussinesslike sometimes. I guess thats what you have to be tho in big resorts. (altho....?)
They all speak english, except for the cleaning staff maybe but if there is anything you want to tell them, just pick up the phone and have the reception translate it.

Pine Cliffs is nice. Its very Nice. Its luxury and has all the things WE look for in a holiday so yes, we will go back soon. Any negatives? Yes, a few, i mentioned a few also, but overall we like it enuff to go back.

Dont expect a very personal treatment in there tho, its big and it shows. If you can live with that, go for it!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of February 2009

Very good families

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We stayed at the Pine Cliffs Residence in a 2-bedroom apartment for one week at the beginning of September and had a very good experience. The accomodation was very new, so was in great condition and very clean. The staff were wonderfully accomodating to our children and the food was good, if not Michelin 3-star. Only a few things were a disappointment - the kids club was run down and didn't seem to us to be secure at all. Although enclosed by a fence, the gate was not locked or even closed for much of the time. There were no indoor facilities to speak of, except a rather dark, run down tv and napping room. In short, although the staff seemed lovely, we wouldn't have considered leaving our children there, especially given the Madeleine McCann case. Also, like some of the other reviewers, we were surprised and disappointed that the pools were not warmer. On the few days that the weather was overcast, there was not much for the children to do becuase the outdoor pools were really too cold to use unless the air was hot. The indoor pool is not child-friendly. We also were warned on the first night of our stay by the reception staff that the respoirt was very full and so we needed to book even for lunch. Fortunately, the hotel emptied out the next day (September 1st), so we had no problems getting loungers, towels, restaurant reservations, etc., but I think that if you were to visit in the high season, that might be a bit of a problem. verall, a lovely stay, but they really need to refurbish the kids' club and consider heating the pools if they want children/families to be happy staying there."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of September 2008

Luxurious, Spacious, Spotless, Expensive

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"I stayed in a 2 bedroomed apartment with my young daughter and a friend and her 2 children for a week. I would highly recommend the apartment. It's very tastefully decorated, plenty of space, lots of wardrobe space, 2 bathrooms and it's absolutely spotless. The Pine Cliffs complex is absolutely huge so I couldn't really comment on the hotel itself or Spa as I didn't avail of them.

Be warned, it is very expensive to eat and drink at the restaurants on the complex, as one would expect from a 5 star resort but I think some of the prices are over the top at €5.35 for a can of Sprite and €8 for 2 scoops of icecream at the poolside bar. However there is a Supermarket outside the main hotel entrance so we shopped there for breakfast and lunch. There is also a fabulous restaurant called Antonios beside the supermarket and the food here is great and really good value. It doesn't look very appealing from the outside but is lovely inside.

I availed of the Kids Club and I have to say the staff there were fabulous. My daughter cried every day going in and cried a few hours later when I went to collect here as she was having so much fun. Just to mention that you have to pay for the kids club and the prices vary depending on when you go so it can work out expensive.

It could take 20 to 25 minutes to walk from our apartment to outside the complex so we got the shuttle train which the kids loved. When you check in you are given a timetable for this and it is handy especially when the little ones are tired in the evening (when it turns up!).

Overall, we had a great experience, the place was spacious, spotless and the staff very nice. It is very expensive though if you eat and drink on site every day. We did go to the bar in the hotel 1 night but it was very quite. I felt it would be nice to have a bit of entertainment at night for an hour or so, especially for the children."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of May 2008