Wedding

Reviewed Tue 9th of July 2013

"I stayed here a year ago and attended a wedding and I have to say, i couldn't fault it at all. Really comfortable hotel, staff were friendly, services was good and the overall atmosphere was better than I was expecting. The only problem was it was a bit on the quiet side, it was quite early in the season. and they mixed up the room for the bride and groom. "

• Travel date: Mon 8th of July 2013

Environmental problem

Reviewed Wed 6th of July 2011

"Sheraton Algarve has, in order to pack as many guests as possible on their beach allocation, simply decided to ignore environmental issues. They have dumped vast quantities of gravel (not proper original beach sand, no no, just awful sea gravel) and protected that rubbish from the ocean tide by placing a horrible fabric barrier along it. Torn pieces of fabric are already polluting the shore of one of the world's most beautiful beaches. We believe somebody local made a lot of money here and we can't blame them for it but Sheraton, surely, should know better.

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2011

An okay but not great hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for 3 days. Location is nice with Atlantic Ocean facing in from of you and staff were generally helpful. Because it was during the peak summer holiday season, there were too many guests with kids. If you are fine with screaming kids and them playing soccer at the reception, this is the place to be. If you are looking for a quiet holiday, this is not, especially in summer.
I just doubt the bathroom was worth paying $500 per night."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

Beautiful resort

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We have stayed at pinecliffs twice now. First time round we stayed in the townhouses (our one was at best three star standard) and the following year we stayed in one of the golf suites which were beautiful and definately more like five star standard.

We did have few complaints especially to do with the pirate kids club. It could do with a bit of updating- activity wise for the older kids. A few children including our own girl (6 yrs) complained of being bored while there, she ended up only staying two days after we payed for five. And the kids pool attached to it is a bit dangerous as there is no marker line indicating where the deeper bit starts- as I found out as my 3 year old was paddling in it and then disappeared under the water all of a sudden- so beware!

Complaints aside, service was great, food great and the location is absolutely stunning. Definately getting five star scenery here. Its definately worth taking the time to get up early in the morning, walk through the pine trees and down to the beach. I have never seen a more beautiful place. You are surrounded by these orange/red/ white sandstone cliffs, and have amazing birds like the hoopoe, bee eater, jay and azure magpies flying overhead. And all this before you even see the beach! Breath taking. And considering you spend most of your time outdoor on holiday, a stunning location is definately more important to me than whether the decor is up to scratch!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

Superb location, nice staff, overpriced food

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We stayed for ten nights at the Sheraton Algarve in the most busy period, when all the Portuguese are on holidays. The hotel was fully booked, but enough sunbeds were available. Yes, a lot of families with small children, however there is a childfree zone in the garden near the pool. Entertainment could be a bit livelier to our taste but was of a good standard. Out teenage daughter got a little bored, no teeenagedisco at this hotel. Beach is fantastic, very nice to have a stroll, but a pain to visit with a stroller..... so you will not find that many small children there. We thought food and drinks were overpriced and we ate out since we had a car. Breakfast was fantastic. Order eggs any style you like and again staff was very friendly. Ang the view, you'll never forget. Make sure to show your Starwoodcard ad get an invitation for the manager's cocktail at sunset by the cliff..."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

I must be one of those doting parents

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Bloody hell... I still have this image of myself as a hellraiser. Having read some of the reviews I now realise I am one of those ageing doting parents with occasionally screaming, always demanding, buggy-drawn, mental-at-meal-times daughters. Who at least poo and wee in the right place - but in industrial production line proportions. Which is why the Pine Cliffs quite suited us. Good points - the staff have got the message, helpful. Good choice for food for all tatses at all times, the beach (a long walk down a lovely wooden pathway) is brilliant. The pools are good.
Bad points - yes, the rooms are a little stale but the kids didn't care. Clearly the place was designed by two blokes.. there may be buggies galore, but spot the poor dad humping them up and down stairs, over pavements. And by 'eck, can they charge. 10 euros for a pint of long life milk delivered to the room for a cuppa.
Advice - for us family types, take a five minute walk out the main door to the local supermarket to buy bottled water, juice etc. The hotel charge like the light brigade.
If you were one of the couples looking for romance but got my babies - my apologies, but more fool you. Pine Cliffs is for families, not romeo trying to grapple a lassie. Mum and Dad - you must go and visit the frog ponds out front of the hotel.... limitless enjoyment for the kids. I would go again. So would my mad women."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

Fantastic!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I can't believe what some people have written about this hotel! My wife, 3 year old son and myself stayed here last week and absolutely loved every minute of it.
The selection of restaurants is wonderful and varied (although still retaining some "international dishes" at all of them for those unadventurous people) and certainly are atmospheric. Who could say that the delightful Moroccan decor of Aldar is not atmospheric? Who can sit out on the terrace at O Pescador with views of the cliffs and sea in the distance and be uninspired?

Its true that the resort is very family friendly and being that we have a 3 year old, we obviously liked this aspect, but the resort is laid out in such a way that there is still plenty of room for those without children (and those, like some of the other reviewers, who seem to hate the presence of children in a 5 star resort... how dare their parents have the audacity of wanting to stay at a quality hotel!)

The rooms (at least the one we stayed in) are not in dire need of refurbishment. One or two updates could be made, but I know that they are on the agenda. The townhouses on the site are fantastic too.

I'd like to address a couple of points that two other reviewers made about pregnant women. One said that pregnant women were showing their bodies and another said that he had to hear a group of pregnant women discussing how to have babies. Both reviewers seemed quite disgusted at both of these heinous crimes. Well, firstly - being pregnant doesn't mean you have to cover yourself up and sit in a darkened room for 9 months and secondly, the person who "overheard" the conversation shouldn't have been so nosey! I had to see fat bloated old golfers showing their bodies and also had to "overhear" a conversation about how not to slice the ball off of the 3rd tee, but I am not recommending that all non-golfers steer clear!!!

So summing up - we loved it, we will definitely go back and we recommend the resort to ANYBODY, whether they have kids or not, just so long as they have open minds and do not hate kids like some of the other reviewers."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of June 2006

Peace and Quiet

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"My partner and I have stayed at the hotel in May 2006 and I am stunned by the comments that are posted on the site. The rooms are typical Portuguese style with the tiles on the wall and the rooms fulfil every criteria of a 5 star hotel, no doubt. Our bathroom has been very nice and after consulting with the hotel staff, we learned that 60 bathrooms have already been completely renovated last winter and that more will follow this winter, so I can not agree with some statements made about the rooms being old . My partner and I went to the Sheraton Algarve Hotel to relax and although we do not have children, we had a great vacation there. There were indeed many children there but the terrain is so spread out that everyone seeking peace and quiet will find it. There is a "no kids" zone available but we did not even use it. We enjoyed our vacation immensely and will definitely come back to the Algarve and to the Sheraton Algarve Hotel at Pine Cliffs Resort."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of June 2006

babys and buggys

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My wife and I were looking for a nice place for a romantic week in Portugal. As both of us work very hard, we just wanted to relax and have a good time. We are Starwood Platinum Members that's why we booked the Sheraton Algarve.

The location is ok, entrance nice and staff at the reception friendly, but then, the nightmare starts!

1. room are old fashioned and needs renovation. Bathroom are even worse. Rooms are on a 3-star level. The manager explained us that Starwood does not own the resort and they could not influence the arabian owner to invest money.

2. In the resort are more babys than adults!!! We like children, but that was to much! Babys are crying at every place at every occasion. Also the parents take the babys for a swim and one we counted 14 babys in the swimming pool!!!!

3. We had a duplex suite in the main building. On both sides we had young familys and their buggys staying in the hotel floors. If you want to go for breakfast you have to be careful of the rush buggy traffic.

4. Baby noise all over in the hotel. If you want to relax - forget about! We saw also many pregnant women discussing togehter about having the baby.

So we have to agree with the other forummers - if you dont have a baby and do not want to talk about having baby all the time - stay away!!"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of June 2006

Buggy Paradise

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Expected a 5 Star Hotel as other Sheraton and Starwood Poroperties. Had to struggle with our own luggage into foyer, reception staff curt and non welcomming. Booked delux suite - which was not to the standard anticipated. Bathroom very disappointing, shower arrangement totally unacceptable. The side garden view resulted in the room being very dark with the light being blocked out by trees etc.. although the room was clean and maintained well during the stay.

Service in the resturants was slow, on one occasion waited for 35 minutes for the starter.

Hotel Web Site does not highlight the volume of associated Time Share accommodation. Time share guests have full access to hotel facilities, consequently the pool, grounds and restaurants are overrun with children, buggys and inconsiderate parents. The later being content to allow the children to create noise and disturbance for discering guests accoustomed to 5 star facilites. We witnessed on two occasions childred allowed to actually poo in the garden area during the day whilst guests are sunbathing etc.

Trying to have quiet or romantic meal in the restuarants is impossible as children are allowed to run wild by irresponsibe parents. Access to some of the resturants become unsighlty with Buggys abandoned at the entrance - counted 15 on one occasion.

The concept of a 5 Star Hotel and Time Share together in our opionin does not work. The cliental in the hotel have different reqiurements to those in Time Share. Would only recommend to those with families or guest who enjoy being overun with children, buggies and over dotting parents oblivious to other clients right to peace and quiet."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of June 2006

loved it so much we bought the timeshare

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Cannot believe the (few) negative comments on this site, from the "didn't hold the doors" to "the pregnant women who should holiday in winter"!

We have travelled the world usually in high end hotels and until we were struck down with the children disease never needed a family friendly European resort (in fact we avoided it). But a 5 and 1 year old draws one to checking out what's on offer that doesn't require a night's intimacy with a set of airline cabin crew ...... and then we found Pine Cliffs!

Restaurants, bars, beach, grounds, tennis, golf, kids' club, service etc. Portuguese good nature and a serious service ethic in the first 2 weeks' of August. A kids' club where the kids complain at leaving. Room service that provides raw steak for the barbeque and asks what cut of meat you want. Sunbeds dragged into position at anytime of the day and no crowd (in August). Ice cream crepes, warm pools, great beach facilities, super golf course, excellent food.

If it mattered I'd persuade people to stay away but it is so geared to service that it doesn't mattter if a few more people come. And the timsehare "hard sell" is well worth listening to - but don't but buy direct as there are second hand deals available significantly cheaper.

For all of you with children who are thinkng about this place who go elsewhere, you will have a holiday knowing that you would have had a better experience in Pine Cliffs unless of course you were averse to pregnant women on holiday or were sensitive to the 2 minutes a week when the main doors are not opened (by not one but two doormen). I hear Alton Towers is lovely........."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of June 2006

for babys only!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for 10 days in May 2006. We were based in room on top of the main building after we could change from a room next to the restaurant. At check in we didn't get a room upgrade (wa are Starwood Platinum Memmbers) and had a very noisy room. We had to insist for a upgrade.

At this hotel were more babys then adults. Many women were pregnant and showing their pregnant bodys and/or the babys around. If you dont have a baby - you are out at this place. We met several nice people but the only discussions were about having babys. Some mothers even change their babys nappies at the swimming pool and we didn't feel like taking a swim in the pool as we saw a small boy making "pipi" into the pool. Their is also a lot of baby noise in the whole hotel area.

The hotel itself is nice but not up to date. The hotel was bulid 1990 and does not belong to Starwood. They do only the management. The hotel needs renovation! The bathrooms are old fashioned and the furniture in the rooms needs to be changed!

So all in all, the hotel is ok - but you must have a baby or be pregnant!"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of May 2006

Hotels near Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, Algarve

Top traveller tips for Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, Algarve

• C2456 by C2456

"Walk the beach further away and stay at the pool "

Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, Algarve is also called