Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa

Praia de Santa Eulalia, Albufeira 8200-916 Portugal

1949

Not a bad hotel

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We are currently staying at this hotel. We booked through [--] and I thought we had booked a suite in the hotel with sea views. On arrival we found that we were in an apartment miles from the hotel reception. I did complain and I was offered the exotic suite in the hotel for an extra 700 pounds per night. In view of the fact that this one week holiday had already cost me 3000 pounds I felt this was rediculous and they were not prepared to compramise.
Now for the good bits, the food is superb, service we found very good and the atmosphere around the pool is quiet but great if you like a bit of peace.
The kids club is basic but adequate with the Anamacion team trying their best with what liitle they have.
We would not return to this hotel and probably would not recommend it but it certainly is not the worst hotel that I have stayed in."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of August 2006

Enjoyable but hire a car

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"On the whole an enjoyable 11 days was had. We stayed in one of the 2-bedroom resort suites which afforded us a lot of space. There were 2 small problems with the accommodation however. One being the overwhelming smell of drains when the aircon was initially switched on in the afternoon and the lateness of housekeeping on several days after 4pm. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case on check out when housekeeping arrived at 11am when we weren't quite ready to leave.
A huge problem with this hotel was the lack of surrounding restaurants and facilities. This would have been OK as taxis are very cheap in Portugal but it is impossible to get one. On a visit into Vilamoura one evening we had to wait an hour and a half for a return taxi. Not exactly brilliant when you have a 9 year old with you!!
Hotel restaurants were OK but a little expensive (one night a meal of skate and chips for 3 came to over Euro 320 which included no starters and desserts but we did have a jug of sangria!!). The buffet restaurant again was OK but a little overpriced.
Overall, we did have a nice time. However, an smile or two from the staff would have been appreciated. We have stayed in plenty of 5-star hotels and this was probably one of the unfriendliest staffwise."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

staff too formal

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"we booked a two bedroom appartment in July 2005. Two adults two young children and two adult children. Absolutely fabulous experience with one minus. With exeption, the waiting staff at the restaurants appeared surly, cold and unhelpfull. We return to the hotel next month and I hope that the staff have improved.If not the hotel will not be re-visited by my family."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006

Wonderful

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"My hubbie and I loved this resort. Our garden room had its own outdoor whirlpool.
The breakfast buffet was great but loads of children everywhere unless you went to breakfast early. The marble floors and staircase were awesome. The gift shop ordered the NY Times special for my husband. There was free internet computers to use, which was convenient.
The beach was crowded and views spectacular. We rented our own little tiki hut. The pool and ocean water temperature was freezing as compared to Florida beaches. There were a couple restaurants and shops in walking distance but we had a car so we could drive to the local 'strip'. Yes we would come again. Portugal was quite inexpensive.
."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of July 2006

Wow!

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We had our first family holiday with our 8 month old and found that they were so well preapred to cater for us. From the minute we were escorted to our apartment to the day we checked out everything was as near to perfect as you can get. We only encountered one problem with the a la carte retaurant- we went in at 9pm to eat dinner and were told we couldn't dine until 10pm. We weren't too impressed as the restaurant was 80% empty. We were told that they had a large party in and a small kitchen as all the food was freshly prepared. Fair enough, but at a 5 star resort- get a bigger kitchen. We were compensated by a free dinner in the buffet- not ideal, but it worked.

All the facilities were wonderful, food great atmosphere lovely and the location was really good. All in all we would return and recommend it to anyone. It suits both adults and children without being overly done to either. So if you don't have kids you can still enjoy it very much and if you do, you won't feel awkward bring your kids to dinner at night."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of July 2006

Disappointing

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"I found the hotel lacked atmosphere, service in the restaurants was nothing short of appalling (having to wait almost 2 hours for the starter alone), and overall I found the Grande Real Hotel thoroughly disappointing in its lack of warmth and friendliness."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

Good Hotel but poor service

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"I went to the hotel with my partner, 6 month old baby and father in law. At first I did not warm to the hotel as it seemed a little bit corporate for a family holiday but as the week went on I liked it and would go back - probably next time for a long weekend.

The service was not at all impressive. Very unfriendly and slow. Not 5 star.

The childrens club was good but like the other reviewer I have experienced better clubs with better facilities. I loved the beach and the views and the pools were good. The breakfasts were average - again have experienced better in 5 star hotels. Food was good but expensive at night but loved the buffet outside at lunch time. great food and great value for money. Club and restaurant open at weekends and was v impressive. Like something you would find in french riveria!

In summary good hotel great views but staff not friendly or helpful. Don't mind expensive meals and drinks if people are pleasant. Would go back though."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

Absolutely superb.

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"The Grande real santa Eulalia Resort and Spa is a beautiful place to holiday.

You can stay either in the hotel, or in either one or two bedroomed apartments (which are scattered around the hotel). We stayed in a 2 bedroomed apartment which was superb. Had everything that you might expect a 5star place to have. Towels by the pools. Waiter service by the pool if you wanted it. Maid service and fresh towels/bed linen every day. Internet and computer access in main hotel building.

Great for families. 5 pools scattered around the resort, one of these is heated, and is frankly... TOO warm. A salt water pool is also there, and is popular with adults, as the heated pool is bursting full with kids.

Kids club free and open every day with a morning and afternoon itenery.

Restaurants great. The choice at breakfast was just fantastic... platters of freshly prepared fruit. Cooked breakfasts. Yogurts. Pancakes. Freshly squeezed juices. Continental hams. cheeses, breads. Pastries. Cakes. Cereals.

If you have children less then 13, I'd urge you to go. If you're a couple wanting some R & R, then again... I'd urge you to go!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

One to avoid

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We were unfortunate enough to go to this hotel over Easter 2006. Weather was great - could even swim in the sea and the beach was good. The bedrooms were good, and the staff friendly. However there are some major deficiencies with this hotel - at breakfast they managed to clear up when we had left sunglasses on the table and full cups of tea (whilst we were getting the next course) - they even took the sunglasses!. There was a medical conference in the hotel during our stay who had preferential treatment - restaurants were closed for the conference guests to use and others really too busy. There were activities for the conference guests only - drumming on one side and judo on the other. When we complained we were given a free dinner (we were just B&B) - my starter had some plastic in it and the rest of the meal was bad. The snack lunches were terrible. Since we have come home we have been offered 2 free nights B&B - we won't be going back or offering to friends!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

Grand Real Santa Eululia

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Booked last minute to Portugal and stayed at the 5 star Grande Real Santa Eulilia.
Had a great stay, very clean, spacious and truely 5 star accommodation.
Hotel and village with numerous smaller pools doted aound the estate. Food can be served on your balcony / terrace or room as restaurants do get booked out.
Teenagers may find it either too quiet or too many young children so they may get bored but we would definately go back. Beach very nice. All in all very worth a stay"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of June 2006

Hotels near Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa

Stayed at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa? Share your insight.

Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa is also called