Cerro Mar Atlantico Touristic Apartments

Rua Antonio Aleixo, Albufeira 8200-091 Portugal

ok

Reviewed Wed 6th of July 2016

"Just got back yesterday (June 29th 2016 ) from staying in the Cer Mar Atlantic apartments. When signing in reception at 9.00pm, on the Sunday , we were given our key to the apartment through Cer mar Gardens where we were told we were not actually staying in that building but we would be staying in the older apartments further up a very steep hill. We inquired if there would be anybody to help with our luggage , as it was very heavy . did not state the apartments were at the top of a very steep hill, where we told there was nobody to help.
I found the manager quite rude , and that was on several occasions. throughout the holiday. The apartments themselves were fairly clean, adequate for two people, maid service with clean towels , daily, which was good, however was slightly disappointed when talking to other holiday makers that they had washing machines, dishwashers , WI-fi and English channel tv, which would of been nice at times .
Albferia itself is quite steep and found the 100 steps up and down daily to The Old Town quite tiring, although was only a 10 minute walk. The Old town, was beautiful, from bars, restaurants, street entertainers , it was always a very busy place. there were so many restaurants to choose from. The beach was only a couple of hundred meters from the old Town, beautiful beach, that was always busy. Portugal is a beautiful country and well worth a visit, the weather was in its 30"s , good weather is guaranteed that time of year.
The Zoomarine is a must, well worth the money especially the Dolphin show. I will be going again next year, maybe not at Cer Mar due to location and lack of helpfulness by management , but overall Albferia itself is a winner , despite the steep roads, helps burn off all the lovely meals. Maybe not so good for prams, wheelchairs and elderly."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2016

not for disabled

Reviewed Tue 29th of September 2009

"this is my second attempt to critize cerro mar apartments. we told "this is travel" on phone that we wanted 4 star apartments. she agreed, yet when we went there our apartment was only 3 star. there were no shops only one old shop who had been there before the apartmnents, she didnt care how old the food was at 3 times price to buy. otherwise we had to go into town to a supermarket few times and come home by taxi. i will certainly take up my disappointment of a terrible time in cerro mar although the apartment was lovely, but didnt want to spend so much time in the apartment as we prefer the beach. but it took me so long to walk into town, once every 4 or 5 days to shop."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of September 2009

We have just got back from portugal, sta...

Reviewed Sun 29th of June 2008

"We have just got back from portugal, staying at the ceromar appts . They were very clean, staff were very helpfull We are both in our fiftys and found that the hill we had to walk up plus the steps were a bit trying. but it didnt spoil our hols . We had a great time
The only problem now is the euro not as good on your pocket as it used to be.We did see lots of famillies on there hols and looked to be having a good time although the weather was really hot (mini heat wave) loads of places to eat and drink but some of the bars didnt know what to charge . There is lots of entertainment for the kids in the
square at night Try it it really is a nice resort.We just stayed for a week. Would come back again for another week. Many thanks Dave&Sue"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2008

Myself, my husband and 2 young children...

Reviewed Tue 1st of April 2008

"Myself, my husband and 2 young children have just returned from the Cerro Mar apartments. We were in the old block and they were absolutly fine - who needs a washing machine when your on holiday anyway! All the facilities of the new block were available but the outside pool in the older block was perfect (just a little cool!) The staff in the new block bar were excellent, the snack menu was ideal and the drinks were very cheap about 1.50 euros for a large glass of wine. I do feel that previous negative comments made about the Cerro Mar were made by someone who is not from the real world! The steps down to the old town were not a probelm for my seven year old or my 4 year old children. The shop next to the old block is very expensive so Lidls is a better option - there is also a market on Saturdays near Lidls which is definatly worth a visit.

• Travel date: Tue 1st of April 2008

Absolutely amazing holiday! We read th...

Reviewed Sat 5th of January 2008

"Absolutely amazing holiday!

We read the comments on here and had sleepless nights after! We were devastated, as we had paid alot of money for the three of us myself, my wife and my daughter, it was a last minute (2 weeks before) thing and we wanted a cheap holiday but ended up paying bundles, just for a week.

Flights were fine when we arrived at 5pm it was so hot, just how we like it! Trouble at the airport though they were on strike so we didn’t get our bags till 4 hours after, quite hard in the sweltering heat.

We weren’t satisfied with the transport to Cerro Mar, it was a bit rough, and we shared a mini bus with another couple and their 3 children. It was much better than a coach though.

When we got there it was obvious we were in the old part but it was fine, clean basic but still very nice. There are a few blocks of apartments with a road down the middle, but you can use any of the pools - we used the one with the swim up pool bar.

We were a bit confused how we didn’t end up in the nice part but it didn’t spoil our holiday, the second day we were there it was 36 degrees!

We had a fabulous week in Portugal, hoping to go back in the summer but for 2 weeks and this time we're staying in the new part!

I hope anyone going to Cerro Mar has a fabulous time!

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

I’ve just returned from the Cerro Mar...

Reviewed Mon 23rd of July 2007

The staff are lazy and incompetent.

They are now building another block, which is on the same side of the road as the old Block 1 and we had the pleasure of our balcony facing right onto it and being wakened very early each morning with the sound of the building site. We also had the pleasure of the noise of the building site while lying at the pool every day!

The apartment itself it fairly spacious, which is the only positive thing I can say about it. It doesn’t have any of the modern facilities the new block has, i.e. no dishwasher, washing machine etc. Our sheets were only changed once in the 2 weeks we were there, the towels were changed twice and one of these times was because I asked for clean ones.

The sockets were hanging out of the walls, there were plastic sheets on the mattress underneath the sheet and the sleeping arrangements in the lounge were the sofa and a camp bed, which was not what, was described in the hotel description.

Also, there are lots of stray dogs in the area and they bark constantly.

Also the Marina is dead, it’s like a ghost town, we couldn’t find a taxi to get back and had to go into a wee local café where they didn’t speak much English, and she gave us a taxi number to call from the payphone to get back to the Old Town.

OK restaurants at the Old Town were Bank and the best restaurant we found was Za Za at the Old Town, very good Thai/Japanese Noodle Bar, and Bravo had nice steaks and on the Strip Liza Pizza & Pasta was good but quite a limited menu.

The beach is nice but the sea is quite rough and by the afternoon the large waves cause a lot of seaweed to come in. The cost of 2 sun loungers and a parasol on the beach is 15 Euros.

You’re taking a gamble with your money and if you’re lucky you could get a nice apartment in the new block but if you’re very unlucky you’ll be stuck in the old block which is a complete waste of money."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of July 2007

Horrible!!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"I’ve just returned from the Cerro Mar and am glad to be home! Booked this hotel after reading all the good reviews and was so disappointed when I got there. Everyone else who reviewed this hotel were obviously staying in the new block, I got stuck in the old one and it is horrible, even though I thought I had booked an apartment in the new block (at least that’s what the booking agent told me!)

The Cerro Mar consists of 3 separate blocks, all divided by busy roads. All of the travel agents and booking agents use photographs of the new block to advertise this hotel but there is no guarantee that you will be staying in the new block and I can assure you that the old block is not of the same standard and it is ridiculous that they sell all the blocks at the same price. Block 1 is ancient and in much need of refurbishment, it has a small outdoor pool with limited space for sun loungers. Block 2 only has an indoor pool and Block 3, the newest block, has a nice outdoor pool but no reception or kitchen, the waiters at the pool bar cook the snacks. The limited snack menu is the same in all 3 blocks and consists of salads, burgers and toasties, which I consider a very poor menu for the size the Cerro Mar has grown to. The staff are lazy and incompetent.

Because the blocks are all separated by busy roads you are issued with a key to get in and out of each block, which is useless when there are 4 of you and you only have 1 key. We used the pool at the new block each day but if one of us had to go back across the road to the apartment they had to take the key to get back into the other block but then nobody else could go anywhere until they got back as they wouldn’t have a key to get back in. The reception closes at night and you need to enter the building by a little door further down the street, all internal doors are locked which means you need to use the old lift, which I think is a fire hazard.

The apartment itself it fairly spacious, which is the only positive thing I can say about it. It doesn’t have any of the modern facilities the new block has, ie. no dishwasher, washing machine etc. Our sheets were only changed once in the 2 weeks we were there, the towels were changed twice and one of these times was because I asked for clean ones. The sockets were hanging out of the walls, there were plastic sheets on the mattress underneath the sheet and the sleeping arrangements in the lounge were the sofa and a camp bed, which was not what was described in the hotel description.

The resort itself wasn’t much better. We struggled to find a good restaurant, generally the food is awful. Particularly bad restaurants in the Old Town were O’Fernando and Oceans, bad restaurants on The Strip were Paella, Steak House (lots of flies and cockroaches at the bins downstairs), and we tried a Mexican Restaurant at the Marina called El Panchito, the food was stone cold, we sent it back and they microwaved it! Also the Marina is dead, it’s like a ghost town, we couldn’t find a taxi to get back and had to go into a wee local café where they didn’t speak much English and she gave us a taxi number to call from the payphone to get back to the Old Town. OK restaurants at the Old Town were Bank and the best restauraunt we found was Za Za at the Old Town, very good Thai/Japanese Noodle Bar, Bravo had nice steaks and on the Strip Liza Pizza & Pasta was good but quite a limited menu.

The beach is nice but the sea is quite rough and by the afternoon the large waves cause a lot of seaweed to come in. The cost of 2 sun loungers and a parasol on the beach is 15 euros.

This is the first holiday I’ve ever been on when I’ve wanted to come home before the end of my 2 weeks. I definitely won’t go back to Albufeira and would warn anyone against the Cerro Mar. You’re taking a gamble with your money and if you’re lucky you could get a nice apartment in the new block but if you’re very unlucky you’ll be stuck in the old block which is a complete waste of money.

Please contact me if you need any more information and I’ll be happy to oblige."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Great apartment.....great view!

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at these apartments at the end of June. We were pleasantly suprised how BIG the one bed apartment was - it had a full kitchen (everything you could require), air con in both the lounge and the bedroom, a full bathroom (including a decent size bath) and a good size bedroom.
The only downside of the apartment was that the furniture was quite old and creaky - I found I was waking myself up in the night by moving in bed and it making a (considerable) noise.
That said, the apartment was lovely and kept clean.
We had a nice spacious balcony with a great view of the sea (slightly obscured by a crane which was building next door).

I should note that we were in no way disturbed by any of the building work that is currently going on in Albufeira.

Also, to mention, staying here is not for the faint hearted.
My husband and I like to explore and do some walking around but, tackling those steps and that hill more than twice a day is testing!
It's 100 steps (which are quite managable) but the last bit of the walk (back to the apartment) is a reasonably steep hill. However, it's a good chance to walk off all the marvelous food and cocktails.

Try the Cataplana - it's DELICIOUS!

Overall, I would recommend these apartments. We booked with Style and the block we were in had very few english people. I understand that Thomson also go to these apartments but I think they must have been in a different block.
The blocks are seperated by small roads and you are free to use ALL the facilities should you wish."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2007

nice hotel, great resort

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"we stayed in the cerro mar during the last week of June, and i found my stay very enjoyable and relaxing, the resort of albuferia itself is perfect.
The hotel is in an excellent position, in terms of getting to the old town where there are plenty of shops and also all the bars and pubs for nightlife, it is only a ten minute walk. saves on all the taxis fares, the only annoying thing is the walk is up a steep hill that is not suitable for the eldery or those with walking difficulities.
I was quite nervous on going after hearing about the building work, but honestly it doesnt spoil anything. There was no real noise disturbance at all.
The rooms where spacious, clean and had air conditioning which makes a massive difference in the hot summer months! There are maids everyday, clean towels etc.
The hotel doesn't offer anything in terms of entertainment, so children might get bored, But, with the old town and new town, or 'the strip' ( a lot more livier, more of a club scene than the old town) entertainment wasn't really needed.
The hotel itself was set out in 3 different building blocks, we where in the older one and the pool wasn't as good. however, the new building is only just across the road the pool is a lot nicer, so that's where we ended up most days. I would advise you to book through thompson as i think they had the exclusive on the newst building with an indoor pool, gym etc.
As i stated before, there is plenty to do in albuferia. Trips to the water parks are recommended, zoomarine etc. overall, nice hotel good value for money."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

The Cerro Mar is situated in an excellen...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of July 2007

"The Cerro Mar is situated in an excellent position, only a five minute walk to Albufeira old town. However, it is up a huge hill and lots of steps so I wouldn't recommend this for older or less able people!

The apartments consist of a number of different buildings, and there is building work going on around the complex, where they are making more but there was never any noise or anything from that.

We were situated in the older building, the pool wasn't as great, but you can go to the other pool just across the road which is much nicer.

Rooms where spacious, clean and fully air conditioned (which you will be grateful of!).

The staff however weren't very friendly, and there isn't any entertainment or anything in the hotel itself.

However, with the old town only a walk away full of bustling bars and restaurants, hotel entertainment is not really needed.

The resort is ideal, something for everyone, the new town, (or the strip) is a little more livelier than the old town at night, and there are plenty of things to do during the day, slide, and splash, zoo marine etc.

Overall, had a really great time, would go back to the Cerro mar again.. but I recommend booking with Thomson as you would end up in the better building!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Top notch

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Not much to add to the other decent reviews, suffice to say that they are not exaggerated. The hotel is very nice with an excellent pool which is a proper sun trap. Our room was huge with decent facilities and I would recommend it to virtually all travellers. It does sit on a hill so those less mobile may suffer, however, otherwise, if you are staying in Albuferia make sure you consider here.

It's location to the old town is almost ideal and ensure you try the grandmother's restaurant down the hill - fab!"

• Travel date: Sun 17th of June 2007

We arrived to discover we were located o...

Reviewed Wed 30th of May 2007

"We arrived to discover we were located on top of a mountain that we were not informed of.

Our room was actually across the road from the reception in a different building, which meant you had to walk over the road where JCB trucks etc were building to get to the swimming pool.

The beds were hard, apartment wasn't clean as we found an old babies bottle of mouldy milk behind the settee.

Staff were rude when you wanted information, and it was a long walk back up at least 100 steps from town late at night.

Awful site of building works wherever you turned.

Not much to do after dinner in the evening, and excursions such as Faro shopping were disappointing.

Overall pretty naff."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of May 2007

Hotels near Cerro Mar Atlantico Touristic Apartments

Stayed at Cerro Mar Atlantico Touristic Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Cerro Mar Atlantico Touristic Apartments

• robi/.norman by robi/.norman

"do not go to cerro mar with any walking difficulties, i wondered why most people had trainers on!!!! "

• robi/.norman by robi/.norman

"we stayed in the apartment in the evening, only went out for lunch when we were out at beach. "

• Taylor81 by Taylor81

"Make sure you train at the gym before hand, just to get your luggage to the apartments. "

Cerro Mar Atlantico Touristic Apartments is also called