Casa Mitchell Apartments

Rua do Tenis, Albufeira 8200-186 Portugal

Good

Casa Mitchell - Highly Recommended By Me!

"We stayed for 7 peaceful nights at The Casa Mitchell. We had a newly refurbished (huge) apartment. Although we gather all the apartments are on the large side. The whole place was spotless, you could smell the cleanliness. The owners, housekeepers and maintenace staff were very helpful. The quietness was due to not having a pool side bar (no being blasted out of bed in the morning by music, not that we mind loud music in the right place!) There are a couple of bars within a very short walk, also a tapas bar and a restaurant. And it's not too far down to the Old Town Square.
Would recommend Casa Mitchell for couples, especially those looking for some chill-out time."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of June 2009

Ideal location Casa Mitchell Apartments

Good

"These apartments are ideally located if you want to be near the main town but far enough away not to hear the noise. A five minute walk on the way down...a bit harder on the way back as it is uphill!

The apartment was just what we were looking for as a couple with an 11 year old son. My son's bed was the sofa bed in the living area. He got the best deal as unfortunately our beds were so hard we didnt really get a good nights sleep. Despite that, and the tiny bathroom, it was just right for our purposes. The furntiure is a bit dated but the whole apartment is kept very clean. The owners are friendly and there is no need to fight for pool side sun beds as there are plenty to go round!

We hired a car via the reception area and got 4 days hire for little more than £100. There are so many places to visit in the Algarve I would definately recommend hiring a car and doing some exploring.

There are plenty of restuarants in Albufeira so we didnt get to use much of the kitchen facilities - great for me because I didnt want to cook anyway!

Cant think of anything negative to say really as we had a great holiday and didn't want to come home!!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

PRACTICALLY FAULTLESS

"Totally over the moon with our stay in these excellent apartments. Exceptionally clean rooms and pool area. Friendly and helpful management and staff. Very quiet location and the least crowded pool area I have ever experienced. The pool area is small but set in a pretty garden with plenty of sun beds and a small section of grass. All rooms have balconies. The nosiest thing about this location was the fact that the harbour area is undergoing a refurb and the seagulls, one family in particular, has moved their nest to somewhere very near the Casa Mitchell. However, that's not the fault of the hotel and it's only a minor annoyance at times. We went into town to the square most evenings during our week's stay but to be honest, we found the best food and best value at Gabi's sports bar and restaurant located just around the corner from the Casa Mitchell. Owned by an Austiran couple, Gabi and Fred who speak German and Fluent English (and Dutch I believe). Great menu choice and portion sizes. Tandoori Nights Indian restaurant is also worth a mention. I didn't particularly care to eat anywhere in the square etc. apart from breakfasts or lunch as we had tip offs from other guests about poor service and food so we just stuck to what we know we liked. It was quite a steep climb from the town back to the apartments but it keeps you fit and helps you walk off the food. I didn't see a taxi cab all the time we were out there. The nearest bus stop was about a 5 minute walk away. It was great not having any children staying there. No offence but now I am older and my family is grown, I appreciate a child free zone. I can thoroughly recommend these small and friendly apartments to those who like to say away from the noise and who appreciate clean & comfortable surroundings."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of August 2008

Usual excellent standard

"Just back after our third stay at Casa Mitchell (previous was 2005) and must say that the excellent standard has been maintained . Suspected it would be with the same owner in charge , but still great to have it confirmed . Very attentive at reception , room , stairs , pool and sun bathing areas all well maintained . Albeit with a minor flooding incident caused by other guests attempting to dispose of articles down W.C.
Bar/Restaurant next door has new owners and is a good spot for lunch , dinner , or nightcap , with no pressure to get your custom just friendly greetings as you pass . Great location for the Old Town where we had excellent meals in O Tunel , Tres Coronas , Cabana Fresca (at Fisherman's Beach) , Beach Basket and Bravas Steakhouse . Not so good meal at O Penedo with a very much ' take it or leave it attitude '
Will certainly retun to Casa Mitchell"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of July 2008

Loved the hotel, excellent location and good value

Good

"The Casa Mitchell Apartments are in an excellent location. I think the following is essential information (bearing in mind we were in a studio apartment).

Kitchen – Studio is smaller and hence the supplies are smaller. The frying pan we had was so small it would only do one egg at a time. We asked at reception if we could have a bigger one and was very impressed to have a brand new one shortly after. I think this shows how flexible they are. Our kitchen was a good size (see the picture).

Bedroom – Personally I thought the bedroom was a good size (for a studio, and it was separate to the kitchen area). My husband was happy too but he did complain that the beds were far too hard. I think that’s quite normal abroad though (I am sure he complains about this in most places we have stayed).

Bathroom – Hot water whenever we had showers, good shower as well.

Balcony – the studio balcony is tiny – the 1 bedroom balconies looked bigger… We didn’t have any sun (or very little) on the balcony and to be honest that suited me, but its probs not for everyone.

Pool – Looks small in the pics, is small in reality however actually thought this was better than other larger pools for 2 reasons.

No kids were there (no splashing). Often there was no one in the pool, or just me. There was no booking of sunbeds (I was the first person at the pool every day at around 9am which is a welcome change from having to get a sun bed at 6am in many resorts)!

The pool was warm (as it has less water to heat up)!

Husband tells me I must mention the lack of sun bed mats (I think he must have a bad back as he complained about the hard beds and lack of sun bed mats). He did ask at the hotel about this and apparently tourists kept stubbing cigarettes out on the mats so they got rid of them!

Supermarket – The hotel is on 2 sides of the road. If you’re in the hotel with the pool (opposite reception), when you come out of the hotel, turn LEFT. Top of the road there is a mini market (overpriced in my opinion at the top which is 10 seconds walk for essentials) turn LEFT. Follow the road down and turn RIGHT. This is Sir Cliff Richards Road (something similar) and after a few mins you will find a large supermarket that sells everything you will need. We only went to this one (and the fresh bread and cakes were gorgeous). This is about 7 mins walk.

Old Town = If you are in the side of the hotel with the pool, turn RIGHT. At the end of the road turn right again. Follow the road down (passing a green statue on your left). Cross over the road and follow the road down. there are some steps in front of you (talking you into the old town) or keep going and turn LEFT when you can SEE a sign for Royal Orchid Thai Restaurant (this takes you into the old town as well). About 10 mins walk from the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of July 2008

our favourite place

"casa mitchel we have been going to these apartments for the last 8 years in fact we went twice last year ,the girls on reception are fantastic nothing is to much trouble.it is so relaxing beside the pool ,with a beutiful restaurant just opened a couple of doors down run by the two georges. overall a top class place to stay we should know! judith and david atkinson harrogate ,north yorkshire"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2008

Does exactly what it says on the tin

Good

"Friendly welcome, above average apartments for this kind of accommodation, and a short walk into town.

Some hilarious scenes with the owner telling a family not to do the towel on the sunbed thing at 7am every morning. To be honest though, the fact that the guests in the hotel opposite also get to use the pool does make the morning scramble for beds a bit tense. Great spectator sport from the balcony!

If we were being critical, they could perhaps look to buy a few new sunbeds as the existing ones are getting close to their sell-by date, and a couple more perhaps, with a few more brollies might be an idea.

Albufeira itself was mad. We may have been in the old town with talk of its fishing heritage, but be under no illusion that this is a mass package resort, and the scary amount of building going on will only make it more so. Indeed, the Fisherman's Beach is no such thing, and a new marina has been built about half a mile outside the town.

We hired a jeep and fled to the mountains, enjoying the quieter places such as Monchique (the highest point in the Algarve), Silves with its castle, and Alte with its... err... well... lack of people, but freshly squeezed orange juice from a tree in the cafe owner's garden was worth the trip.

Overall, the accommodation was a plus point for the holiday as a whole, and we would recommend it."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

Fantastic value

"What a superb set of apartments in the centre of the old town of Albufeira. They were immaculately clean. The owner was a delight to speak with, and she was extremely helpful.

I arranged car hire through the reception, which is based in the hotel opposite the apartments. This was heavily discounted, and I got a Fiat Punto for €86 for 4 days, which is far cheaper than booking direct. There was plenty of on-street parking on Rua do Tenis.

We stayed here in March, so the pool was a bit chilly to use, but the garden was lovely to sit in to enjoy the sun. The whole area was spotlessly clean.

During the summer season, the apartments are given over to First Choice, but out of season I booked through Alpharooms, and it was extremely cheap for a winter sun break.

I'd have no problems recommending these apartments to anyone, except those with trouble walking, as it is quite steep on the approach to this part of town."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of March 2007

excellent value

"Superb position. Rooms tremendous value for money. The owner was a charming lady and would I would unreservedly recommend this establishment to anybody. When compared to the Sol e Mar (lousy breafast and poor service) there is no comparison regarding value."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of October 2005

Excellent, would love to go back

"Small complex of apartments, they are spotlessly clean and a very relaxed atmosphere around the pool. The pool area is quite small but there are plenty of sunbeds and it was never packed, and we were there in July. They could have done with a few more umbrellas, that would be my only criticism. The apartments were really modern and about a 5-10 min walk from the centre."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of September 2005

Practically Perfect in Every Way

"My friend and I stayed in a Casa Mitchell studio apartment and we were both highly impressed. Our room was spacious and very clean and each member of the staff was friendly and helpful. We even managed to find out the history behind the name of the building. I would recommend Casa Mitchell to anyone looking for a quiet, peaceful base near a very lively town. The best of both worlds. Only thing that stopped me from awarding a 10 was the lack of hairdrier and clothes drier in the room. Otherewise it was perfect."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of September 2011

"burnt too bits"

"Very clean and spacious apartments. Nice pool area. air con and tv were free of charge, only used the tv to listen to vh1 music.good self catering equipment fridge freezer, spotless microwave, hob, loads of crockery and utensils. iron and ironing board. massive sized bathroom with 4 piece suite.reception was across the road, we only used that to check in and out, ameila on reception was very nice. cleaners done a very good job aswell. nice balcony with upto date furniture.would definately recommend this accomodation. weather very hot and humid hence burnt too bits. when venturing out everyday had to go uphill and downhill, in the heat this was quite breath taking, abit like the views. overall a good holiday but to many banks and steps to want to return."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of July 2011

Hotels near Casa Mitchell Apartments

Stayed at Casa Mitchell Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Casa Mitchell Apartments

• Katie Scarlett by Katie Scarlett

"Needs somewhere to hang wet towels etc. "

Casa Mitchell Apartments is also called