Don't do if

Reviewed Wed 9th of July 2014

"We stayed here in July 2014
Staff are rude- they made a big deal & almost reduced me to tears when I was using the hotel towels 2meters from my room on the sun lounges
I explained we are only staying a few days& not brought a towel and staff just said 'I don't care - I am telling you you are not allowed- go and read the papers in your room?!'
Tried to use the swimming pool at 10 am & told I can't because it's not opened
Rooms are very basic and you have to pay for everything from wifi to having a remote control in your room
Towels are only changed twice weekly
Rooms are not cleaned everyday

The strip is 30mins walk away- it's in the middle of now where so if you don't have a car- you are pretty stuck

I would much rather pay more to stay somewhere else!
I have been to lots of hotels, self catering places and I can confidently say this is the worst!

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2014

Balaia sol

Reviewed Thu 22nd of May 2014

"I have just returned from Balai-Sol Apartments for the third time, I cannot fault anything very clean , and the staff very friendly. I have just re booked for October, not ideal for children but lovely and peaceful food and drink reasonably priced. Adelaide is lovely and nothing is to much trouble can't wait to go back. "

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2014

I stayed at the Balalaia Sol for 2 weeks...

Reviewed Wed 9th of July 2008

"I stayed at the Balalaia Sol for 2 weeks and if I had stayed one more night I would have been taken home in a basket. The complex is clean and tidy but very small and miles away from anywear except for the tennis club at the nearby Qinta De Balaia. Situated in what was a field before it was develooped is the Balaia Sol. The main town and beach are a good half an hours walk up and down Cardiac Hill and in 90 degrees of heat it feels more like an hour. My best advice is give this one a miss although it was a nice little complex and the staff are great the place is just to far away from anywear and taxis are 3.25 euros every time you get one into town try that twice a day for 14 days plus they charge 2 euros for ordering you one at the Balalaia Sol although they do run a mini bus service from the hotel at 2 hour intervals from 11am till 5pm in the afternoon that picks you up at the town for about 3 euros but not at night. P.S the nearest Mini Market is at the Quinta de Balaia tennis club about 300 metrs away and when I say Mini I meen Mini."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

I took my boyfriend here for a weekend a...

Reviewed Mon 7th of July 2008

"I took my boyfriend here for a weekend as a birthday treat. As a weekend stay I can give it 10 out of 10, but i wouldnt stay here for my main holiday. It is in a lovely quiet spot, yet it is only a 20 minute walk from the main strip in albufeira (or a 5 euro taxi ride from the old town). It is clean and basic, but the drinks are expensive. The pool is small, but clean. All I can say is if you are looking for a quiet retreat and you do not enjoy big holiday complexes then you have found it here. There were kids in the pool every day we were there and they were having a fab time, but if i was to take my children i would choose somewhere busier. "

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

On the plus side the staff were very fri...

Reviewed Fri 24th of August 2007

"On the plus side the staff were very friendly and helpful and the accommodation was clean.

On the negative side the complex is almost claustrophobic and very noisy during the day. The three studio apartments myself and my friends occupied were very small. The toilets are so small that the toilet seats act as a door stop, or if someone's on the throne they become the door stop. You can stretch your arms out and touch the walls on both sides. The shower cubicle, which has a curtain rather than a door, is about two foot square. I am small and struggled to remain within its confines. There was a line of dirt along the bottom of the cubicle, my only complaint regarding the cleanliness of the studio.

There are no drawers in the apartments and very little in the way of storage. The single beds, that double as seating, are no more than camp beds, though the mattresses are not too bad. Jamie Oliver would find it a challenge to cook breakfast on the two ring cooker, which sits on a tiny work top alongside the kettle and toaster.

Thomsons gave the complex three stars and based on other Thomson accommodation I have used I feel it is worth only two stars.

Any person with a large frame or mobility problems would struggle with the beds shower and toilet and the latter with the steps on the path leading in and out of the building, there are no ramps. Don't bring much in the way of clothes, we lived out of our suitcases. "

• Travel date: Fri 24th of August 2007

Booked this holiday on the advice of the...

Reviewed Mon 16th of July 2007

"Booked this holiday on the advice of the travel agent as a 3 star complex.

The complex was very very small the rooms were tiny and the rest of the facilities were no more than the pool bar.

The bar area was about 25ft x 10 ft which includes the bar ,kitchen , dining area and shop.

The location was in a field about 2km from the Strip so taxies and the complex bus were the mode of transport.

The confusing thing is that with the Sol name we expected a certain standard, however this is not part of the Sol group. Definitely not a 3 Star."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

These apartments are situated on the out...

Reviewed Mon 2nd of July 2007

"These apartments are situated on the outskirts of Albufeira in a very quiet area. They are not suitable for people with walking difficulties as the surrounding roads are currently under construction.

The complex was spotlessly clean and all the staff were very friendly.

The amenities consist of a medium sized swimming pool and a toddler pool, both with ice cold water.

The bar is a bit pricey and the choice of food is limited. The nearest supermarket is located on "the strip", about a 15 - 20 minute walk away. There is a minimarket in the Quinta Balaia complex just up the road to get your basic bread, milt & water - but not much else.

The walk to the nearest beach is up and down hills and takes about 30 minutes. It costs 15 Euros to hire sunbeds for the day on the beach.

A trip to the old town will cost 2 Euros per person on the minibus but only 3.9 Euros in a taxi for upto 4 people. Infact you can go anywhere in resort for 3.9 Euros in a taxi, which I thought was very reasonable.

In my opinion, these apartments are only suitable for people wanting a relaxing holiday away from bars and entertainment - it is not a place for teenagers or young children.

I personally wouldn't go back, but I couldn't fault the cleanliness."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

Booked this on the advice of the travel...

Reviewed Tue 26th of June 2007

"Booked this on the advice of the travel agent. Location in a "field" about 2 Kilometres from the start of the resort.

Facilities on site very poor for a 3 star.

Beware of the Sol name as it has nothing to do with the "SOL" group.

Studios are really small, 2 camp size beds and table/cooking area all in a room about
14x 12.

The bar/dining/kitchen was the pool bar. Reception was a room about 8x8."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of June 2007

Great resort, great spa next door

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"This is a great resort in a perfect location. The best part was a spa at the resort next door. Nita and Sandy own a spa and hair salon and you could not get better service. They are located at the Paraiso da Balaia Aparthotel. The best facials, pedicures, waxing and hair highlights I have ever had - and amazing prices!"

• Travel date: Sat 27th of November 2004

Converted garages?

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Studio apts can be compared to garages of the multi bedroom apts converted to studios. Poor air circulation, no ventilation, no a/c. Costs you 15 euros per week for a fan!!! 25 euros a week for security box!!! At 2 euros per person for the bus (which finishes at 8pm) plus approx 7 euros taxi from town back you're better hiring a car before you go; at around £7 to £10 per day it's worth it to see the rest of the Algarve which is much more scenic than Albufeira.
On a positive note the apts are very clean and staff helpful, pool cleaned every morning."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of August 2004

Lazy holiday

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Our week was intended to be a really lazy holiday doing nothing, and it was just as well! The minibus should have run every hour and should be free/cheaper than 2 euros pp. The tiny shop could sell more items and not be so hidden (it took us 2 days to realise it was there!) To charge 2 euros to phone for a taxi was a bit steep, as was the walk into the town. We didn't even see the sea! Cooking equipment in the apartments too basic but nice and clean. Staff not over-friendly. Very pleasant location but too isolated."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004

too far to walk

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My experience of Balaia Sol apartments is that there were a lot of rules and regulations that were not suitable for a holiday resort and it was miles from town and all amenities and cost a fortune in transport .Even the courtisey bus had a charge of 2 euros for using it and that was per person.No complaint about the actual apartment clean and satisfactory but not all the staff were friendly.
Would not recommend it for anyone who wants a lively holiday ok for older couples who want a quiet time away."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of July 2004

Hotels near Balaia-Sol Holiday Club

Top traveller tips for Balaia-Sol Holiday Club

• Viv74 by Viv74

"Need a car, make sure you got your own shower gel/shampoo as they only give you a bar of cheap soap! "

Balaia-Sol Holiday Club is also called