oct at Cerro Malpique

Reviewed Mon 12th of January 2015

"My wife and I stayed 6 nights in Oct 2013. Lovely weather,we were both 73 and did not find the walk back unreasonable. Handy for Lidl. Good value for money."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of January 2015

october sunshine 2010

Reviewed Tue 2nd of November 2010

")My daughter and I have just spent a week at Cerro Malpique 1 and found it good value for money.The accomodation is clean and reasonably comfortable,though it is in need of updating(especially the pool) but the location excuses any faults. Going down the steps to the square is no real problem unless you have a buggy for a child or if you have walking difficulties but the upward journey is more of a challenge unless you are fit. The reception staff were friendly, efficient and most helpful and arranged our return transfer with no problem. There was a tv in the room and we could access BBCs 1 and 2 without problem (just to check on the UK weather!) There was no problem getting to Lidl's supermarket and we found everything there that we needed for the week-I'm glad that I heeded the advice to take my hand luggage to wheel the shopping back, as the large water containers are really heavy and as the weather was gloriously hot it made the job a lot easier.The old town is really lovely and we found more than enough to keep us busy for a week, had we been there longer we would have gone further afield, there are lots of escursions to choose from."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of October 2010

Cerro Malpique 1

Reviewed Tue 11th of August 2009

"We booked this holiday last minute and the reviews for this apartment were very good, however there are two different buildings, Cerro Malpique II and Cerro Malpique I, but both are listed as one review. When we arrived we were allocated Cerro Malpique I, dont be fooled by the joint reviews as Cerro Malpique II has been newly renovated. The location of the building is fantastic and we were not put off by the famous steps down to the old town but I couldnt imagine my parents enjoying these steps as we are in our thirties. The staff are lovely especially the young lady who works on reception. I was very disapointed by are apartment it had obviously not been cleaned there were remains of crips on the floor from the previous people. The kitchen floor was filthy and I had to clean the rusty fridge. The beds were literally floor level and there was dust on all the lamps and bedside cabinets. The lounge carpet was stained beyond belief and was covered in huge rips and holes and the sofas were covered in grains of sand. The bathroom was clean but I was nearly sick when I saw the state of the toilet brush. the balcony had a lovely view over looking the pool and sea but was full of cobwebs and a stained table. The pool area was lovely and there are plenty of sun lounges and a good atmosphere. Albufiera is beautful and its just a shame we were in Cerro Malpique I. "

• Travel date: Sat 8th of August 2009

We loved these apartments. Our room was...

Reviewed Sun 31st of August 2008

"We loved these apartments. Our room was very nice, overlooked the pool. The pool is small, but was adequate for the amount of sunbeds there was. And there is toilets under the pool area, which were handy for our last day!

Lidl is only approx 8 mins walk away, and the bridge that you had to walk to, to get picked up for trips was only 10 mins walk, just up from Lidl. To get to the old town took you 5 mins walk. Would recommend Dom Jardin in the old town, nice sea bass and steak. Castel do bispo near the Marina is good for food and also you get a good view of the Marina.

Albuferia has quite a few hills so probably not recommend for those with mobility difficulties. We certainly came back a bit fitter than when we went!!

It's approximately 20 mins walk to the "Modelo" supermarket next to the Brisa Sol. It's very cheap, and you can cash travellers chqs. Although you can also do this at reception. It's 30 mins walk to the Strip. We ate out a few times at the Strip, we loved the Portfino Restuarant. Pork porteguese style very tasty. My hubby had the Monkfish rice with Clams,Prawns and Mussels which he really enjoyed. Nice pleasant staff too.

Would recommend Slide and Splash, we ended up going twice because we ended up enjoying it so much.

All in all, these apartments were in a good position, it's nearer the Old Town but there is plenty of restuarants, bars and shops to keep everyone entertained. Also the beautiful beach is beside the Old Town so probably only ten mins away. There was no entertainment at the apartments and no bar, but wasn't a problem for us as we would just pop to the apartment for refreshments. And we were out most evenings.

I would certainly recommend these apartments to anyone."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

I stayed at Cerro Malpique 11 mid Octobe...

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2007

"I stayed at Cerro Malpique 11 mid October 2007 with my parents and aunt. Just wanted to say that the apartments were excellent - probably the biggest and most modern that we had visited in some time, and we generally go on 2/3 holidays a year.

It was great to have a toaster and microwave in the apartments - which is not always the case. It was lovely and quiet when we were there - no trouble with sleeping at night due to noisy neighbours! The balcony was a good size and got the sun nearly all day which would be a bonus if you did not want to travel too far.

My parents are in the 65 - 70 age group and had very little trouble with the steps down to the Old Town - its definitely not a big problem. Also this apartment is one of the nearest to the lovely new bus station - roughly a 20 min walk - this gives you some independence to explore further afield (such as Faro, Lagos etc) without hiring a car or being restricted to tours.

The only downside for tours is that if you book one the operators pick you up at the bridge on the main road (a five min walk away) and do not come right to the apartments - so we did feel rather discriminated against, in that respect! All in all, an excellent holiday and would have no qualms about returning."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of October 2007

We stayed at the Cerro Malpique during t...

Reviewed Fri 21st of September 2007

"We stayed at the Cerro Malpique during the 1st week of September, apartment was lovely, really clean and spacious. The guys at reception were great really impressed at how down to earth they were. Only facility is the pool, no night time entertainment there, but all that was catered for in the old town just a few mins down the steps (not the best apt to stay at if don't like steps). I wasn't mad about the steep steps but they're not that bad!

The old town is lovely, although I think the area was winding down from the summer which wasn't great for myself (age 21) or my boyfriend (age 24) who would have liked a livelier atmosphere, but the new town is really buzzing if that's what your into.

A great holiday all round, the area was just a bit boring, it may have had a lot to do with the time of year. I would greatly recommend the slide and splash park for a day out!

For any Irish tourists looking for any Irish bar you'll be disappointed with the selection."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of September 2007

Quiet area away from the busy town. The...

Reviewed Sat 15th of September 2007

"Quiet area away from the busy town. The town was a 10 minute walk away down some steps.
The apartments were clean and had everything you needed. Plenty of free sun beds, no need to get up early to put your towels out (this may be different in high season) and there was even a sauna.

There was a little shop 5minutes walk away and sold most things, for a bigger shop there was a supermarket 10 minutes away. 24 hour Reception, staff very friendly and helpful. There also was internet access in reception.

Downside
The rooms weren't air conditioned so had to keep the balcony door open on a night. The pool wasn't in the best of condition, there was quite a few tiles missing from the bottom.

You had to vacate your room at 10am, no courtesy room was offered. There were poolside toilets but no luggage room or changing rooms. Luggage was left in reception. There were showers near the sauna in a closed area but they were cold.

I wouldn't recommend this place to people with young families as there wasn't much to do and it was quite a hilly. More ideal for couples who want a quiet relaxing holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of September 2007

We have just returned from the Algarve,...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of May 2007

"We have just returned from the Algarve, staying at the Cerro Malpique 1 apartments.

I was very well pleased with the accommodation. Very well equipped with everything one needs even a dishwasher although I do not know how to use one.

The only drawback was the steep steps down to the square (5mins) walk. Night life great there also the new Marina. Quite a walk but very pleasant.

Buses frequent to all parts of Albufeira old and new town. If you are looking for something to do at apartments, sorry to disappoint only the swimming pool.

Little supermarkets everywhere around. Modelo Lidles etc.

A very good holiday and will be going back in Dec for Xmas and New Year."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of May 2007

We stayed here a few years back on a fam...

Reviewed Sun 20th of May 2007

"We stayed here a few years back on a family holiday this included a 14 year old.

I have to say that although the accommodation was basic the standard of hygiene, and service we received was fantastic.

We were made aware of the hill that it was on hence the name of the apartment, and also it was listed in the brochure, we didn't have a problem with this.

We were welcomed and enjoyed every minute of our stay; we still talk about that holiday to this day and are planning our next year’s holiday to the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone without walking difficulties. This hotel is not on top of the hustle and bustle of Portugal but is in easy reach of it, if that’s what you fancy."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of May 2007

I also have stayed at the Cerro Malpique...

Reviewed Sun 13th of May 2007

"I also have stayed at the Cerro Malpique I and have to say that it was possibly the nicest holiday I've had, and I have been on many holidays to many countries.

Yes, the apartments are based on top of a steep climb - I do believe this is explained in the brochure. We prepared ourselves for an enormous climb but upon actually walking up and down the hill it was actually quite a pleasant walk, certainly gave you some exercise for the day but not quite a 'hiking holiday' as previously described.

It’s simple really; if you do not want to have a steep climb to get to the town then don't book a hotel/apartment that is situated on top of a hill and states in the brochure there is a steep climb.

The apartments were clean, well maintained and staff were friendly and helpful. We didn’t see much of the rep but that didn't bother us as they only want to sell you things anyway, we did however go on the jeep safari day which was fantastic - highly recommended!

Lidl (the nearest supermarket) is quite a walk away, about 20 mins in the opposite direction of the town. I wouldn’t recommend it in the blazing heat so try and go first thing in the morning, we always left about 8.30 in the morning and were back relaxing by 10.

You can always use a taxi if you would rather and if you have young children with you I wouldn’t suggest you trying to get them to walk it. We just did a weekly shop same as we do at home and so only had to go twice as there are plenty of local shops around in the town anyway!

I would highly recommend Cerro Malpique to any couples and families - probably more suited to older children and not so much toddlers as yes, there is only a pool and so more difficult for little ones to stay entertained, but that’s what day trips are for!

We are now in the process of planning our 2008 holiday and we have Cerro Malpique as one of our choices. I would not hesitate in returning despite that our daughter will only be 3."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

I am back from Cerro Malpique 1 a few we...

Reviewed Wed 13th of September 2006

"I am back from Cerro Malpique 1 a few weeks now but just had to say that our apartments were basic but all you do is sleep and shower there as you are out all day. I agreed with the last comment about the cleaners being noisy but I didn’t complain as they were very polite and always spoke to us.

I felt the receptionists were a little off hand and didn’t want to be hassled. The hill coming out of the apartments was a nightmare it’s a wonder we didn’t break our necks as I slipped more than once they really should do something about this! I found the "bar", a joke in the description in the brochure the description was the bar for Cero Malpique 1 and 2's is in Cero Malpique 1..what bar?! It was a row of shelves behind reception with a few bottles on it!

The pool was miniscule so we went to our friends pool every day. On the upside Cerro Malpique 2 was beautiful, we had our family stay there and they were most impressed, it was modern, stylish and bright with a good size balcony which you could sunbath or just sit out on. The pool was also a good size. On the whole I would go back but not to 1. The steps to the old town were a challenge in its self but we took it in our stride as being all part of the experience!

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

We have just returned from a week in Cer...

Reviewed Fri 18th of August 2006

"We have just returned from a week in Cerro Malpique apartments and I can honestly say this was the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in.

The basic problem was continual noise from the second we arrived until we left. We arrived at around 23.00 looking forward to a relaxing holiday and within an hour had to complain to reception about noise from other residents. Hoping that we would feel better in the morning we had a sleepless night and then eventually fell asleep just as the sun was coming up BUT then the cleaning staff started and we were again woken up with continual banging of doors scraping of chairs on tile floors and loud talking etc (Cleaning staff noise continued all week)

I complained to the rep but was brushed off with the advice that we were just tired as had only arrived. The following week was just a sleepless nightmare. The basic problem with Cerro Malpique is it has appalling design flaws and the slightest noise echos throughout the entire building.

The facilities for kids are non existent so what happens is that they start kicking footballs around and playing in the only small flat area which happens to be just outside the resident’s balcony area. This area is between Cerro Malpique 1 and 2 so the noise is incredible due to it echoing between the apartments. The tiny pool area is also just outside the balcony area so we were unable to use the balcony as there was continual noise all day and night.

To compound matters there is some building work literally next door and what appears to be a new hotel is being built with the usual cranes/workman/noise during the day etc!! Other couples I spoke to had exactly the same complaints so I not being over sensitive. The staff are OK but not interested in talking to noisy residents although the hill issue was not a problem (See previous reviews).

The day we checked out we heard that one apartment had been broken in to!!
We were bitterly disappointed with Cerro Malpique and and as a result did not enjoy Portugal and will not be returning. AVOID AT ALL COSTS

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

Hotels near Alfagar Cerro Malpique

Top traveller tips for Alfagar Cerro Malpique

• ben and alex's supernanny by ben and alex's supernanny

"I'd like to go back so it had to be good! "

• melville by melville

"research whereabouts of everything(google earth) "

Alfagar Cerro Malpique is also called