Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa

Corcovada, Areias de Sao Joao, Albufeira 8200-664 Portugal

great holiday!

"my sister and i booked our hotel at last minute and as we literallt left about a week after we booked it and got a very cheap deal we weren't expectin alot!!

our expectations were completly outdone! the hotel was fantastic and our apartment wonderful, we had a beutiful view over the pool and then could see out 2 the sea! the apartment was clean and had everythin we needed for the week!!

it was also in an great position so that we could walk 2 all the clubs, pubs and resteruants without being distrubed by the noise of them all! we were also close 2 all the pick up points 4 days out!!!

the only bad thing i can say about it is, u can not pre-book a taxi unless u are travellin over 15 miles, so in the mornin we wnated 2 travel we were a bit worried as all the taxis were busy, not so much the hotels fault as the taxis! also at one point in the week we had a maintenence man come into our room whilst we were in it to measure it and put up nails! we felt this could have been done whilst we were out or after we had left the apartment! i also believe rooms without a pool view dont get such a spectacualr view! but overall awesome holiday!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Excellent all round apartment

"We stayed as a party of 3 girls for a hen weekend in late June. We had looked at the reviews on this site first, which were mixed but we took a gamle, and it paid off. We were very impressed with the staff, the apartment, the cleanliness, and the pool was large enough to actually swim in which is rare these days.
The location was perfect, just a 5 minute walk to the strip (and we felt safe with the walk, which was an important factor for us) The beach was 10-15 minutes away, but we only went once because the pool area (and snack bar) were perfect.
One thing I will say is there are not enough sun beds, but we went to the local shop and got 3 lilo's to lay on, so it was not a problem.
If you want a good price apartment that is clean, well equipped and spacious, look no further."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of July 2007

noise noise and more noise

"We stayed at Dom Pancho for a week and during this time we experienced a few problems. Having read the other reviews i realise these must be of people who had a pool view room...lucky for them,as we didnt. We stayed on the back side to the hotel on the first floor,as i took my 1 year old daughter.

Rooms were very clean i must admit, but on this side of the hotel we were awoke every morning around 2-3am by the metal bins being collected by the bin men. it sounded like they tipped the bins into the wagon and then got a large stick and started whacking the side of the bins for about 5mins. This was every night for a week. we asked if it was possible to move to another room specifically asing for a different side to the bins,as it was waking us and my daughter up. We were assured that there was a room and it WAS on a diff side to the hotel. so we packed our things and moved up to our new room,only to find it was on exactly the same side a few floors up and directly above the bins! As you can probably tell we were more than annoyed at the fact that we were told we would not have the same probem. we ended up moving again,yes on the same side but on top floor. stiil awoken by the bin men but too tired to argue again. We wouldn't have minded if the receptionists had told us the spare rooms were on the same side then we wouldnt have lost a whole day with this mess. Instead they moved us without telling us that it would make no difference.

Staff were very unhelpful at the front desk and quite rude. They could not even phone a taxi to the nearest beach. Not a very good experience at this hotel at all. Good luck to anyone who does not get a pool side view :P

Other than that loved the surroundings of the strip,restaurants etc. and the Zoo Marine is must for anyone!!! Fantastic day out."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2007

Good choice for the Algarve

Good

"Stayed in the Don Pancho first week in July, like so many this was a late deal (8 days before departure) we stayed in an appartment which was excellent, everything is brand spanking for this year, so new kitchen, new bathroom, new furniture.
Although ther pool is large, the local beach is 10 mins walk away and is very beatiful with lovely golden sand, however the sun beds and brollies on the beach are £10 per day (per 2) to hire so someone is making a killing.
There is a local tourist bus (small charge) that also takes you to the best beach which is called fishermans beach some 20 mins away, a must vist if you like beaches.
The Don Panch is 10 mins walk from the entertainment and eating places called "The Strip" a mile long never4 to dissapoint whatever you are looking for."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

A Welcome Return

"We returned to Dom Pancho having had an enjoyable stay 5 years ago. The apartment had been renovated to a high standard and was clean and spacious.
We had a pool view and enjoyed evenings out on the balcony as well as many evenings in the bar downstairs.
Being close to the Strip was ideal for us as my Mum struggles to walk too far but still wanted to enjoy the nightlife.
Would highly recommend these apartments and am already saving for next year."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of July 2007

brillant location, spotless apartments

Good

"we stayed in these apartments for 2 weeks, we had a brillant time, the apartments were spotless and the maids cleaned the apartments every day. great location a few minutes walk to the lively strip, and a cheap taxi ride to the old town, plenty to do and loads of entertainment in all the different pubs on the strip. lovely restaurants, would definately go back there again and stay in these apartments."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2007

Everything you need and Very Clean!

Good

"Hi, I have just returned from the Dom Pancho today, I booked through a late deal with Thomson, I have never done this before so was anxious as to what accommodation I would be landed with on arrival. However, I was quite happy on arrival at the Dom Pancho.

I have just read previous reviews and noticed that some people experienced damp and outdated decor. Maybe they have changed things then as I didnt think this at all! There was no smells that I noticed whatsoever (though I did not venture into the sauna area). Also the kitchens were modern and very clean.
I was disappointed to find that there was not an electric kettle (there is one you can put on the hob) nor a toaster, but was surprised to find a microwave!

The swimming pool area was fantastic and very very clean, there was a man out every morning raking out the dead leaves and things. Also, there was a good number of sunbeds around the pool.

I was also impressed by the cleaners of the hotel, they came every day to mop the floor and we always really friendly, they would always chat and smile and even tucked my daughter's teddy to bed, which she was thrilled to find on our return!!

The location of the hotel is good, not too near or far from anything, there is a supermarket about 1 min walk away which was very handy! Also, The Strip was only a 5 min walk away.

There is a pool side cafe which I felt the prices were reasonable, not extortionate, which is what I was expecting!

Other things to do during the day was to play on an outside snooker or fuseball table (at a cost of 1euro per game), there was a slide and swing set for children, they also had a library filled with english books that you could borrow for free (this was very handy towards the end of a holiday when you may have run out of reading material). Also advertised in the brochure, is a health club with turkish bath, gym and sauna etc. However, it doesnt specify that you actually have to pay extra for this. I cant comment on the facilties available here as I never used it - it was too hot outside!

If you want to go to the beach it is about a 20mins walk away, whilst the walk there is fine, the walk back is a little harder as it is all uphill. I would also warn those going to the beach that there were charging 10euros for an afternoon use of 1 sunbed!!!! Thought this was over the top!!!!

The only main complaints that I would have about this accomodation is the lack of evening entertainment. They had an event on almost every night, though most of these didnt start until appox 9:30 and were mainly things like a Live music singers. There was no entertainment for anyone under the age of 50, certainly none for families with younger children. As there were quite a few families there I felt that this should have been accommodated for.

I also felt the reception staff were very miserable and unhelpful. If you had an issue with any aspect of your holiday they told you to see your rep and simply pointed you in the direction of a Folder containing details of Thomson, if you needed to contact Thomson, they expected you do this from your room and wouldnt really help at all and didnt want to know!

I also stayed in a room on the 3rd floor facing the mountains, however, there was a house below that had 3 dogs. I was kept awake quite often by the dogs barking late into the night, I did complain to the reception about this but was simply told that there was nothing they could do unless they were stray dogs.

Overall, I felt that this hotel did offer me what I needed for the holiday I was looking for, for the correct price. I would rate it a 3 star. My only big disappointment was the evening entertainment."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2007

great holiday

"the location of the hotel was really good for the bars and restaurants as it was only a few minutes walk but wasnt so good for the beach which was about a 20 minute walk away. we had a really good holiday but the hotel definately needed refurbishing! it was comfortable and the pool was great but the rooms were very dated and the bathroom and kitchen weren't too nice, although it didnt put us off too much! the hotel was quite lively, however it was mainly families and we expected more younger people, also the bar was usually quite empty which was disappointing. overall, was nice and would definately go back.
one last comment - girls...theres no hairdryer so make sure u definately pack yours...we forgot!"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of June 2007

Take your earplugs!

"The complex is in an OK position. The design of the building means that any noise reverbs all around the building.

Good swimming pool & friendly staff.

We had a choice of pool view or mountain view. We chose the later but
had a view of the main road and the noise of the traffic & the local bar opposite, that had live singers on until the early hours.

Insist on a pool view & you should be OK"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

fab hotel, great location

Good

"i had been to albufeira once before but was definitely pleasantly surprised to see the hotel. we had a room with a pool view which was nice and all the furniture was finished to a high stanard. the rooms had everything you would need (apart from a kettle).

the hotel is literally a five minute walk to the strip which has something for everyone. the top end had bars for those who want a quiet night and the other end has the usual disco bars. head to matt's bar for a good night then finish at la bamna's or reno's for a good old boogie.

i enjoyed my september holiday so much i returned in october. a bit cooler but still fun!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of January 2007

Holiday from Hell!

"We have just returned from our holiday to Portugal to the Dom Pancho hotel in Albeferia. I have to tell you it was nothing short of a holiday from hell.

Every single night we were woken up anytime between 2am and 4am, some nights for 2 hours at a time. There was at least 4 or 5 groups of stag parties in the hotel from England, one of which consisted of 50 men. They ran through the corridors at night shouting and chanting, banging on doors as they went. Baricaded up doors along the corridor with suitees and left empty waste all along the way. I have to tell you this was very frightening at that time of night when you have a young baby.

We complained to the hotel while we were there, along with many other people staying in the hotel at the time, but nothing was done about this.

During the day these stag parties drank by the pool chanting football songs all day long.

My problem is that this hotel obviously always takes bookings for stag and hen parties, and does not seem to care that the rest of the guests are woken up constantly during the night. I really wish you had not recommended this hotel to me. Our first holiday with our baby was a complete nightmare.

I definately would not recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of May 2011

Great Hotel

"My family stayed at this hotel for 10 nights. 3rd - 13th August. Hotel was excellent.
Would go back again. Not too far from the strip - maps available at hotel reception.
The old town is even better but is a taxi ride instead of a walk. No to Spain next year back to Portugal!!! Staff were very helpful and friendly."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2009

Hotels near Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa

Stayed at Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa

• Victoriapike by Victoriapike

"Visit the old town, you can walk or there is a train from the strip "

• ADRIAN1 by ADRIAN1

"Its a great place, but watch your kids at all times. "

• aprilstracey by aprilstracey

"I loved the Old Town and the beach "

• aprilstracey by aprilstracey

"plenty of lovely restaurants "

Albufeira Sol Suite Hotel & Spa is also called