Albufeira Jardim - Apartamentos Turisticos

Cerro da Piedade, Albufeira 8200-916 Portugal

Really Enjoyable

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"After reading all the bad reviews about this place I can honestly say that people expect far too much for the price they pay. We arrived at the hotel around midday and did have to wait for our room but there was somewhere to leave your luggage. We then ventured up towards the pool area and restaurant and like I say I was expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised! The pool area was nice with two rather large pools, and good sunbathing facilities the mattresses were supposed to be 1.50 euros but we never paid and were never asked for any money. The poolside bar was charming and the restaurant served really nice good quality food, the breakfast was also very nice and at a good price of just 11.00 euros for two full English breakfasts inc tea and orange juice. The entertainment wasn’t the best but the night was what you made it! We really enjoyed the old town at night and went out most nights with one of the barman from the hotel David! We thought that it had a lot more to offer than the strip! The rooms themselves were quite dated but they were extremely clean and spacious and I did not see one cockroach! The beds were sofa beds but they were quite comfy and no different to a single bed really. The hill wasn’t to bad I have bad legs and I managed but we mainly got a taxi at 2 euros. Overall we had a fantastic holiday and loved the Algarve. We would definitely consider going back again to the same hotel and place! TIP: Don’t rip a towel the cow on reception charged us 15 euros they were barely worth 2!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2007

We got used to it!

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a 5 day stay at these apartments. We booked a last minute on the web and were wary to say the least. We love Portugal having been regular visitors over the past few years, and this has not put us off, though I think we will find somewhere nicer next time!

On arrival we were filled with gloom at the 70s style reception and grumpy male receptionist. We were taken by mini bus to a studio block at the back of the complex. Our studio was on the 3rd floor! It was horrid to say the least, dingy and gloomy and very dated. We complained and were moved. Our new studio was nearer to the pool and reception areas on the 2nd floor. Still dated, but cleaner and had a new shower (over bath) and bath fitted.
There was no kettle, to make a brew you had to use a metal pot. The gas stove took an age! We didn't bother getting a remote for the tv, but you had to pay. Everything was rickety, the balcony door handle came off in our hands! The furniture is probably from the 70s when this was probably a decent hotel.
The pool area was not so good. It was clean but probably the worst pool area I have used. We only went there on our first day, peferring the beach. The beds were more expensive but the food was a lot cheaper at the beach bar (1.50 euros for a ham sandwich) than at the pool, so it balanced itself out. The furniture back at the pool was old and broken and the eating area although clean, was tatty and unkempt. The food was expensive and it took ages to come.
The staff in general were lovely - apart from the first receptionist guy who we didn't encounter again. We had no problems with them and found them helpful throughout our stay.
If some money was spent updating this place it would be brilliant. Despite the walk up the hill the location is spot on and the grounds are well-kept and very nice. All this place needs is a lick of paint and some new furniture and it would be a decent place to stay. It isn't ideal for those who are unfit or have walking difficulties. The walk from the square to the hotel is bad enough but depending where your room is you could have another uphill walk!! We were only there 5 nights so we put up with it, it was somewhere to put our heads down - don't think we could have done more than a week there!!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of September 2007

Enjoyable and relaxing holiday

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Jardim 1 August 20th 2007 for 1 week. 2 adults three children. On arrival the reception staff were very helpful, booked in no problem, then the minibus took us up to our apartment. Was very impressed on entering after all the bad reviews we had read. Nice and clean and very spacious. two toilets one with the bathroom. Very large balcony overlooking Albufeira and all the coast gorgeous view. Cleaned every day towels changed daily and bedding twice. The maid was really nice.The pool is very spacious one downside you have to pay 1.50euros a day for your mattress for the sunbed, but we bought airbeds. Not much for the children except small games room, and the odd night entertainment. But they loved the pool. Albufeira is lovely and the people really friendly. The hills are a bit of a drag but you can always get a taxi back up. Eddys bar is great for full english breakfast. You cant beat billiards restaurant for a gorgeous meal very reasonable. We found dining out very cheap, and good food. will definetley go back."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of September 2007

You get what you pay for!!!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We recently stayed in the Albufeira Jardim, I was a bit weiry after reading some of the reviews. When we arrived our apartments were not ready so we had to hang around for a few hours, it was'nt too bad as we could leave our luggage in a room in Reception.
Our rooms were very basic we had to sleep on 2 sofas.. We had no kettle so when we wanted a cuppa we had to boil water in a pot on the cooker and when we turned on the cooker on the t.v would go off..
It is true about the hill to the apartments, I have muscels in my legs like Arnie after walking up and down it for a week.
I would recommend the restaurant in the apartments the Steak in it is just FAB they cook it in front of you My partner loves steak and would be very weiry about eating it in different countries but he has admitted that it was one of the best steaks he has ever tasted..
All in all the apartments were ok for us but we would not recommend them for anyone elderly or who has a problem walking up steep hills..."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of August 2007

Nice apartment, good location

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"After reading previous comments on these apartments I was very wary of staying there but as it turns out it was very pleasant. My wife and I stayed from Jan 9 to Jan 16 in a studio it was very nice and had everything we expected but were a bit dated in places. The staff were very pleasant and the services were good (cleaned and fresh towels daily). We did not try the restaraunt on site as there were many other (cheaper) places to eat. (I Reccomend 'Buddy's Bay' in the square). The apartments are ideally located very near the old town which is very picturesque. However the new town area with lively nightlife, bars, etc is quite some distance away (about 2-3 KM). There are two shops within 50 metres of the complex and bars/restaurants within 400 metres. I would reccomend this complex and indeed will probably stay there again in the near future."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of January 2007

Be careful what room they land you in !

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Booked through "Holiday Nights" via going on holiday.net, What a mistake! At first the guy was great, got to Portugal - placed at the back of beyond in the complex with no bedroom, studio room which is NOT what we paid for. Expected to sleep on sponge cushions for short people and no sheets ! terrible. Asked to change as reception but they wanted more money. Called the holiday company - verbally and email promises were made that they would pay the difference. Been chasing since September, still owed for the difference, be warned and don't get Studios. Even took photo's but have been really dissapointed by false promises and avoided through all communications."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of January 2007

12 September - 26 September

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"My partner and myself stayed in these apartments for two weeks from 12th September until 26th September. After reading the various reviews before travelled, we were worried sick about what we were going to and we had no doubt in our mind that we would have to go and book somewhere else if they were as bad as people were making out, but we arrived at 12.30 in the afternoon, our room wasn't ready so we went a walk about to see the place and we liked what we saw so far, but we were still dreading entering our room, after an hour or so wandering around we then went back to reception and were told our room was now ready, we were in one of the blocks directly opposite reception on the lower ground floor, we entered the room and found the apartment quite dark but this was due to the fact that the big wooden shutters were closed and there was not much light coming in, along with the dark red flooring etc this didn't help. We opened the shutters to let light in, went into the bedroom and moved the bed etc to inspect the cleanliness. The apartment was absolutely spotless, and it was this way for the fortnight.

We never saw a single cockroach in our apartment the whole time we were there, we found these apartments were great value for money, although we did give in to the hill by the second week and refused to walk any more.

I would recomend anyone to book these apartments as we had a great time and found them to be very clean and staff on reception very friendly. (We didn't use the hotel restaurant at all as there are so many good ones down in the town and at the strip)

The only gripe we had with the apartments were with the beds at the pool, you had to get up early to ensure you got two good unbroken beds as majority of beds were broken, but we also understand that being end of season these will not be replaced so it didn't bother us too much."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of October 2006

Good value for money

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We have just returned from 10 nights in Albuferia, where we stayed in the Jardim self catering apartments.

The apartments are rated at three star and were very cheap to book. Although the apartments on first impression appear tired, the stay was really enjoyable. We stayed in a studio apartment, which was very spacious. The apartment was very clean and remained so throughout the stay as the maids cleaned daily, changed towels every other day and bedding twice per week.

The reception was open 24 hours and the staff were really helpful. There was a snack bar and bar which served a wide variety of food and drinks. There was one main pool with other smaller pools for children. The view from the pool overlooks the Albuferia Old Town and is excellent. Sunbeds and umbrellas were available to rent at 3 Euros for two beds, which was very reasonable compared to the cost of 15 Euros on the beach. However my partner went out early most mornings to get a decent bed, as some were broken and not all had a shade.

The complex was at the top of a hill, the resort itself was very hilly, so there was lots of walking. The centre of the old town and beaches were a 10 minute walk, and the strip was a bus/taxi ride away. However there is a bus stop outside the complex which will take you to the old town and taxis are available.

Overall we found the apartments very comfortable and would reccommend them for a good value holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

absolute nightmare

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Myself my wife and 14 year old daughter stayed in this accomodation from 21 August until 4 september 06. The apartment was an absolute dump no kettle or toaster out dated furniture and 2 sofa beds pushed together. The electricity supply was what you would call unreliable, when we turned the cooker on a plug socket or the water heater would go off. I have no complaints about the resort it was gorgeous but the prices of the food at the complex bar and restaurant were extortion. 4.50 euros for a bottle of beer. Also i didnt like the pool cleaner hosing down round the pool and soaking our feet while we sat having a drink. People were going in to the town to buy their own booze and then sneaking it up to the bar because of the prices. The apartment we stayed in reeked of raw sewage and was very basic. To get to the town or beach was a 20 minute hike down steep cobble stones which i think were made of flint slipping all over and coming back was a killer felt sorry for the old people and kids etc. The nearest supermarket was a 10 minute ride in a taxi which was 3 to 4 euros one way. Then you cant be garunteed a taxi back because they are so busy. the beach when you got there was vey good but packed must get there about haf 8 to get your towel down. Another insult was the arrogant guy from the pool bar charging everybody 1.50 euros each just for the use of a wafer thin mattress for your sunbed over a 2 week period that amounts to 42 euros if you want to lay by the pool. The staff were arrogant rude and unhelpful the only one with any manners was carlos from the panorama bar. The worst was yet to come we made 6 calls to the uk from the apartment phone and was presented with a 50 euro bill when we left on top of our bill was some writing in portugese which when translated said beware these people could run without paying what a cheek. The apartment was cleaned daily but watch out for the maids they wer raiding bins to see what everone had thrown out i saw them trying peoples gear on while they were cleaning apartments also smoking other peoples cigarettes. If you want to watch tv its 20 euros deposit and 4 euros daily also for a safe box 20 euros they are out to squeeze every euro out of you.We had a very difficult time sleeping very hot and very noisy. There was alot of construction sites close to the jardim with tall cranes most starting work at 7.30 am. Like i said the resort was great but very expensive even in the town. I would never go back to jardim 1 i have never been happier to be on our flight home.

Mark Wendy and Carly from Humberside"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

would never go back here!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"After five years of studying for a degree my family and I were really looking forward to a fortnight's holiday in Portugal to a place we had never been before. Flight and transfers went smoothly and on first impressions the apartments looked OK, but when we entered realised how unclean and unkempt they actually were. After moving furntiure etc to make the beds up we discovered how dirty the floor was and there was no way that I would be cooking in the kitchen area!
The town really was beautiful especially the 'Old Town' but unfortunately it was a real climb back to the apartments at night and there was no way we could even begin to attempt this trek during the day (due to the heat) which disappointed my children as we spent so little time on the beach. I now feel very disappointed that we spent all that money just to sit around a poolside where there was no entertainment (day or night) and you had to pay one euro fifty to use a mattress for the sunbed (that's if you could get one that is!)
The food in Portugal was lovely and we ate out every evening but this was spoilt because when we arrived back to the apartments we knew that we would not be sleeping properly due to the club on site where locals would party into the early hours and keep my children awake. (You would have thought they would have gone straight to sleep after climbing all those steps!)
After complaining about the noise we were moved to another shabby apartment but to be honest I would have rather have had my money back and caught an earlier flight home.
We spoke to others and they were of the same opinion. It is such a shame as we were so looking forward to a relaxing fun filled holiday ...."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of August 2006

you get what you pay for and this does apply to this hotel

Reviewed Fri 30th of October 2015

"We arrived about midnight and was given our room number and was told to follow the steps round to A9 room 245

As stated by others it was 110 steps to the block and then another 27 steps to our actual apartment.

TBF I had read that it was in a mountain and had lots of steps but really didn't expect that many.

The rooms are very dated and could do with some tlc but the beds were made every day, clean towels and floor cleaned each day, so can't fault the cleanliness.

The food was the same every day, and all I managed each morning was a bread roll and some bacon and scrambled egg (not the best)for lunch and dinner i usually had a few chips and would try some of the meat or soup, but I found that the food was very bland and had no taste. If this is the Portuguese way then fine, but it wasn't like this in the old town restaurants.

The eating area in the hotel again was very dated, but I found to be clean, and the pool area was kept pretty tidy, considering they didn't seem to have that many staff.

The staff were all pleasant and helpful

All in all not a place I would rush back to (the steps are really putting me off) but you don't get 5* for 2* prices. I paid £205 for 5 nights A/I which included my transfers and flights so the fact that I had to eat out most days didn't bother me too much.

• Travel date: Sat 24th of October 2015

Lasted an hour

Reviewed Fri 23rd of October 2015

"We turned up and prayed it wasn't our hotel, walked into a dirty, stained and very smelly reception with ripped blinds and stained seating area, we had to wait an hour for our room so decided on some lunch....hmmmm, maybe I expect too much but all there was, was old salad, soggy pasta/spaghetti, chips....well soggy ones plus other stuff that my cat wouldn't eat.
After talking to a few guests, they said the food is much the same of an evening, they also said good luck with your room
We ate a few bread rolls as they looked ok
Anyway...got to our room....disgusting, was like a dark, dingy £5 a night bedsit, didn't even want to sit on the toilet seat
We have no idea where the nice pictures are from as they do show the true identity of the hotel
We literally lasted an hour....as went online and booked another hotel

Asked reception to book a taxi, very helpful lady.....but didn't question or even ask why we wanted to go elsewhere

So please please read the reviews ......as what you see is NOT what you get "

• Travel date: Tue 20th of October 2015

Hotels near Albufeira Jardim - Apartamentos Turisticos

Stayed at Albufeira Jardim - Apartamentos Turisticos? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Albufeira Jardim - Apartamentos Turisticos

• camason by camason

"Zansi resturant, Picadilly bar "

• john2604smith by john2604smith

"Too many too mention, fav bars Rock Cafe, Bank, Sir Harrys Bar, Snoopys, Bhuba Bar, Central Station, "

• dnash by dnash

"Avoid resteraunte 54! "

• dnash by dnash

"Relly nice indian/egyptian resteraunt in the old town. Best food we had all week "

• sue peerman by sue peerman

", 'old theatre' restaurant worth a visit live music while you eat. "

• adman_21 by adman_21

"slide and splash was good fun, "

• Finn by Finn

"Loved Alufeira, would go back just not to these apartments "

• merlin by merlin

"The supermarket is best used for essentials only .Cheaper to eat out "

• Sleepless in Albufaria by Sleepless in Albufaria

"Stay on other side of town "

• Christo by Christo

"Site shop is rubbish. There's a better one 10 mins walk down towards town. "

• Joanne M by Joanne M

"i would not stay here "

Albufeira Jardim - Apartamentos Turisticos is also called