quality place

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Regularly stay here before cruising. It is calm, quiet and in a great position. Restaurant is good but expensive but there are plenty of alternatives within 100 yards (we do`nt do metres). I find corridors a little dark but no problem. Breakfasts and view from breakfast veranda are great, Staff most polite and fairly efficient. Good shopping centre next door and down escalator"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Loved the Metropole

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"The Hotel Metropole is wonderful.

The staff were so friendly, and speak good English and Italian, as well as French. The were so courteous.

The food was beautiful. You are served breakfast from a lovely choice. We had room service one night, which was delivered with a portable dining table, flowers in a vase, etc. The bar was really cool. Most drinks are approx £10-£15 each.

The hotel itself is very fancy, and would recommend dressing smart at all times, to blend in.

The location is wonderful, being a minute away from the casino, and cafe de paris. Approx 10-15 mins from the harbour. Very easy to find your way - we walked the whole of monte carlo, and visited all the attractions.

Would not stay anywhere else, and would definitely go back."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

Sheer Bliss

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I'm fortunate enough to stay in a lot of luxury hotels, but the Hotel Metropole in Monaco...every minute, every detail was absolute perfection. Recently redecorated by Jacques Garcia, the rooms are the perfect size and decor, and the showers are large enough to park a car in. (I've never taken so many showers...or experienced so many jets in my life). The pool was gorgeous, perfectly heated, the deck was always immaculate with tons of towels and attentive service. The bar....worth the trip to Monaco just to hang out in this lush, worldclass bar with amazing, in house cocktails, friendly (and handsome) barmen and a stylish clientel. The restaurant was declious as all Robouchon restaurants are. The maids came three times a day (always when we were out), replenished everything, tidyed up, turned down, always with impeccible attention to detail. Combined with the fact that every single person we encountered was friendly, chatty, warm and just nice, thoughtful people.

It's expensive, but quite honestly, a bargain at twice the price.

And best yet...the friends that I've sent have all had excellent experiences as well.

All hotels should take a cue from the Metropole in Monaco."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of November 2005

Great Hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We stood at the Monte Carlo for two nights and it was great! Very clean and spacious rooms with the most comfortable beds i've ever had in a hotel!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of November 2005

Never quite recovered from the disappointing arrival

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I fear that this is going to sound picky, but it is proof at least that first impressions count. Despite a long and tiring drive and a desire to have a kip fairly urgently we had noted that check-in was not before 3pm and so dallied en route to arrive at around 3.45pm. The valets who took our car and led us to reception were charming and efficient but the receptionist who dealt with us (after some delay) did for the hotel I'm afraid. Having spent time taking our details and doing all the bureaucratic bit she then informed us that our room was not ready and that it would be a 20 minute wait. I politely exclaimed that we were disappointed to hear this as we were exhausted and needed to get into the room. Cue some sensitive head nodding and some apology you'd think. Instead we received a huffy and abrupt rejoinder telling us that we'd just have to wait as we couldn't get in to the room till the housekeeper had checked it. She then said why didn't we just go and have a drink in the hotel and return later. Again, a better customer service approach would have been to offer us a cup of tea, as opposed to leaving us to find the pool bar and order and pay for one ourselves.

Because I was tired, this made me annoyed and for the rest of our trip I kept noticing things that weren't up to standard for a top class hotel. The public areas are fabulous as others have said, but the corridor of the third floor where we stayed was definitely shabbier and in need of a lick of paint. Breakfast was good, although I've seen better buffet spreads in lots of other hotels and one kept having to ask for things that were missing, (serving spoons and the like). They served our tea in a lid-less tea pot which meant it went cold really quickly. Generally my complaint is made up of these small things really, so it's not that I don't recommend the hotel which is in a fantastic location and has an amazing, though extortionate, restaurant. It's just that I spent the whole stay feeling that it didn't quite live up to my expectations of a top hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005

Great Location...Very Nice Hotel!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"We were very happy with this hotel. The staff were pleasant (the desk staff do escort you to your room upon registration as someone mentioned earlier on this site), and the rooms were exceptionally clean (and I am very selective)! A good nights sleep was had in the very nice large comfortable bed. This hotel was the perfect place to recover in luxury from jet lag! It was for the most part quiet and peaceful. The rooms are a nice large size, and have plenty of space to stow away luggage. The bathrooms were a very good size too.

Located across from the park, it was within walking distance (just two short blocks) to the Casino, and Cafe de Paris! ...and we walked EVERY where from this location! Even up to the palace and aquarium!!...which is a bit of a walk - but a GREAT way to experience the magnificent views and get to know the city better!

As this trip advisor site was so helpful to us in planning our trip, we were certain to snap a few photos of the hotel for others to see! (The bathroom image was snapped as an after thought...they actually do a beautiful job presenting the room when you arrive (not seen here), providing a slight "spa" feel to the space.) Enjoy!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of August 2005

Great Location, Great City!!!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Beautifully remodeled lobby. The service was wonderful. We had an unrefurbished room and it was still a terrific place to stay. The restaurant in the hotel was amazing. The fresh baked breads were a special treat. The hotel is across the street from the casino. It was great!!"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of April 2005

Great place!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Spent 2 weeks during February 05. Great hotel, excellent location and the most efficient and customised service i ve ever had in a hotel. Great bar. Wonderful people. From april a brand new spa will open. Cannot wait to be back!"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of March 2005

Cool Spot

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Stayed 5 nights in August 2004. Hotel excellent, first class service & excellent food .Brill location. actually one evening in the dinning room fellow diners included Bono & Robert De Niro !! cool spot"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of October 2004

5 Days of Heaven

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"From the moment we arrived we were looked after, but in an unobtrusive way. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, all of whom were friendly and efficient.
Our room was spacious, the bed was huge, and the bathroom was amazing - I could happily have spent the whole of the time in the jacuzzi. I would never have thought that a hotel in the centre of Monte Carlo could have such a decent sized garden and swimming pool, but it did. The central location meant that we were ideally placed to visit many of the places of interest in Monte Carlo, or to just go and drool at the yachts!
My only complaint is that this has to be a (very) occasional treat, rather than a regular destination. Oh well, perhaps we'll win the lottery!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of October 2002