A truly personal touch

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"First of all, the Hotel San Andrea is situated in a wonderful location, right at the water's edge, with a beautiful view over Xlendi Bay.

Secondly, the food is mouth-wateringly gorgeous, especially the fresh, locally-caught fish. I tried other restaurants in the area and they weren't a patch on the San Andrea's own restaurant.

However, what really made the difference for me was the personal touch. From Jason Galea - who runs the hotel - to the patient, attentive yet non-intrusive waiters, to the efficient, smiling and helpful reception staff, to the chambermaid who tidied up my mess every day, the service was excellent. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble.

Just one example: When our large party asked if a barbecue were possible, the answer was an immediate yes. And what a barbecue! Enormous heaps of barbecued fish and meats, which we watched being cooked, and umpteen bowls of salads and side-dishes. Tables were laid for us outside where we could watch the sunset over the bay.

We regarded ourselves as just 'ordinary' guests, a bunch of people out in Gozo for a swimming holiday, yet we were treated as - well, I can't decide whether to say 'royalty' or 'family,' since the service was not only far in excess of what we had expected but unfailingly cheerful and friendly.

And no, it was not expensive. So far as I could tell, prices were comparable with other establishments in the area: it was just that the food and service were better.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't posted this: now you'll all want to go there and I'll be squeezed out!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

Excellent

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Just back from Xlendi as part of a SwimTrek holiday (including swimming from Gozo to Malta !). Very friendly staff that bent over backwards for you. Nice, clean room (perhaps a little on the small side though), good food in the restaurant, and right on the seafront !"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of May 2007

Super... just wonderful!!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Stayed at the San Andrea for 4 nights, and the experience exceeded all of our expectations. Coming from Malta, we visit Gozo regularly and I can clearly state that this is the best place to stay... it has so many good points that they’re difficult to be mentioned all, but I’ll try : )

First of all, the hosts go out of their way to help the guests in a professional way, but at the same time in a friendly manner which makes you feel most welcome.
The hotel /rooms are clean and everything functioned well, from TV to heating. The location itself is brilliant, just a step away from Xlendi Bay (by the way... go for a seaview room), and an ample carpark just beside the hotel.

But the real surprise of the stay was the cuisine. We opted for halfboard, (were a bit skeptical at first), and the food was simply fantastic. Different menu every night.
I know it sounds as it was too good to be true, but I also know that the next time we visit Gozo we’ll stay here again. Well done Hotel San Andrea!! From Christian & Jeanette, Malta."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Great Xmas break at San Andrea

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"The hotel was impeccably clean. The restaurant food was exquisite including a lavish Xmas lunch buffet. However, the most striking feature of this small family run hotel was the service with a smile and the positive CAN DO attitude adpoted consistently.
Thank you Jason and Sharon we will definetly return."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of December 2006

Super!!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Just been there for a two-night stay with my family and I can tell you it's one of the best hotels you could get on the island, hands down. I've been to a couple of hotels in Gozo, some with higher ratings, but this one stands out in that the owners, Jason and Sharon, go out of their way to see that their guests get the best. It's an unpretentious smallish hotel, which however will surprise you in a positive way. It's good value for money and if you really want to maximise your deal then I suggest you go for half-board. We had dinner at the hotel and I was very impressed. The menu changes daily and the quality is very good. I was rather cautious at first about going for half-board because I'm hard to please and Gozo can be a bit tricky when it comes to dining out, but here it then turned out to be the highlight of our stay. I hope they manage to keep it that way! We'll be back."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of November 2006

Great Holiday

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Gozo is a lovely small island, and our stay at this hotel was superb. The staff was very friendly and professional, the food was mouth watering! Jason and Sharon make you feel relaxed and at home..
Will surely go there again!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Saved the day!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"My friend and I arrived in Gozo and on finding the hotel we were booked into so disgusting that we did not wish to stay, we walked to Xlendi bay and found San Andrea Hotel! The manager and his wife were wonderful! Unable to give us a room for the night they took us to one of their apartments and then collected us in the morning to take us back and stay in their hotel.

We had a wonderful week. The room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel. The staff were so friendly and helpfull. We were going to eat in different places but the food was so good at San Andrea we had our evening meal there every day.

We had a much needed relaxing break and I would certainly go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of October 2006

Jason is a winner

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Gozo is a wonderful place, and a stay at the San Andrea hotel in Xlendi made our holiday one to remember.The positive,friendly attitude of the staff was first class and a credit to Jason the manager, who was always on hand,for a joke,a smile and a sensible decision when required.,nothing was to much trouble.
The food was also a credit to John Pierre the chef who never let us down.
PS.Jason ,please get a new toaster!"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

A very Relaxing Holiday

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"It has only been a few days since the lovely week at your hotel and we miss the great food and beautiful sunsets already! We would like to thank you and all your friendly staff for your hospitality. We sure needed this relaxing holiday and the excellent service and attention to detail made it all possible. We will definetly recommend your hotel to our friends and family, and we will definetly be back very soon.

Regards and Thanks
wj & amy"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of August 2006

One of the best hotels that I have ever been to!!!!!!!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Just home after a marvellous holiday in Malta and Gozo.
Stayed in San Andrea hotel 8 nights - and I must say that it really is a great place to stay.
I have in beforehand read some of the bad reviews - and I indeed were a little worried.
But indeed I could not recognize anything from the negative reviews.
I found a hotel - small, yes, but very clean, a very friendly staff.
The room was small - but indeed clean and very nice. The bathroom was with a bathtop and a shower in the bathtop - and indeed it was ok. The ventilation did work the way it is supposed to do so - even the aircondition did work the right way.
The hotel is situated just by the habour - having your dring and your feets in the water.
I only have lots of roses for the hotel and the staff.
And indeed I will like very much to stay at this hotell again.
arne - denmark"