Location

About Grand Harbour Hotel

• rooftop terrace

Good

Why you want double bed?

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"We stayed for a week in October. The only plus points (apart from the location) were that the room we had was large, with a good ensuite bathroom, and the room was clean. My first impressions of the room were that it was very shabby (I've stayed in several different types of accommodation throughout Europe, so for the price and class of hotel I was expecting a degree of wear and tear and basic furnishings / decor). However, instead of the double room we had requested when we booked online, there were only four single divan beds with loose springs. When I asked the man on reception, his response to me (a woman) was, "Why you want double bed?". I pointed out that a double room was what we had requested, and by this point my boyfriend had followed me to reception and showed the receptionist a copy of our booking, which admittedly stated "double room preferred", which meant we weren't in a position to argue. The receptionist suggested we "take it up with our tour rep" (presumably the Turkish based website that my boyfriend booked the hotel through)and push two single beds together to make one (uneven and unstable) "double" bed. I wouldn't recommend the hotel either if you want a non-smoking room. I don't mean a left over smell of cigarrette smoke, but very strong fresh smoke constantly coming into our room through the ventilation shafts from the bar on the ground floor and presumably from other rooms. Other reviewers have mentioned the breakfast, which was basic, but the lady serving was friendly and the breakfast room had a view over the harbour. Unfortunately, the episode over the "double room" and the overall shabbiness and stink of cigarrette smoke managed to spoil my only visit to Malta."

• Travel date: 5th February 2006

Not worthed

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"I stayed in Grand Harbour two times during 2005 and they were both terrible. First time the room was perfectly renovated but located next to some staff WC/facilities room used all over night and respectivelly very noisy. Second time the room was old, looking abandoned and even when cleaned not making better expression than abandoned one. It was just above some stock facilities and all the night to Saturday people down were preparing for a wedding party! The receptionists asked what do I want, they can't go there fight with them! In general - if you need a rest, forget it, this is not the place! And yes, they charge extra for the view (in a 29 km island such is the view everywhere!) and for being alone in a double room, while one makes the reservation for a single! So the second time i switched to ASTI Guest House - the best price, place and service!"

• Travel date: 10th December 2005

A good place to stay with friendly people

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"From Johannes Mayer, Austrian Federal Environment Agencyn in Vienna A great view from the seaview rooms in ancient Valletta over Malta's Grand Harbour. A nice simple place with friendly people and reasonable prices, a good choice to stay both if you are here on holiday or as myself regularly on business. I particularly enjoy the calm historic surroundings and quiet nights on an island where everywhere else the cars seem to dominate. Here the bells of St. Paul's shipwreck church next door are the most prominent sounds."

• Travel date: 5th December 2005

Grand Harbour Hotel - better than at home!

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"I've stayed there again and again - for four years, every summer. What makes me do so? First of all, the location - Valletta - Malta's cultural and economic centre. Next,wonderful views from the hotel windows. One can admire breathtaking views of the Grand Harbour and the Three Cities (particularly romantic at night). If you like you're always welcome to visit the very top floor of the hotel - its roof, and relax there watching big ships entering or leaving the harbour. In addition, the staff is always very friendly and nice (reception, room and restaurant service) I've made friends to almost all of them. You can also have a nice chat with some of the hotel guests and some of them visit the hotel every now and then (another opportunity to make international friends!) The rooms are nice, clean and cosy. If you happen to be 'thirsty' in the evenings or at nights, the bar downstairs offers you a variety of soft drinks or alcoholic beverages. There's also 24-hour freezer service if you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night. And finally - the prices. Affordable for everyone! Every time I go there I feel better than at home and I don't feel like going back to Poland, where I live and work. The hotel atmosphere makes you a regular guest there. The hotel also offers you taxi service both to the sea terminal and to the international airport. They will only charge you LM6, which is less than the regular taxi service anywhere else on the islands. Well, go and try yourselves! Robert from Poland, a great lover of Malta."

• Travel date: 21st November 2005

Not worth the money

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"The hotel is much too expansive for what they offer. The rooms are clean but the extra charge for the sea view (3ML) is not worth it. You have sea view outside for free. Furthermore, it is not possible to sit at the empty best view tables in the breakfast room. Better not spend a word on the (so called) breakfast. The walls are thin like a tent and the rooms/bathroom need renovation since decades. You have to pay 5% extra when paying with Credit Card. Recommendation: Go to Asti guesthouse (just opposite). Less than half the price (6ML per person), no extra charge for single use, very nice ladies, recently renovated, better breakfast."

• Travel date: 15th November 2005

Great view, great location.

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"The Grand Harbour hotel is in a great location & has fantastic views providing you pay for a sea view room. We did & enjoyed the experience. This hotel (and the British Hotel 2 doors up) have a unique selling point. They are the only hotels that have this view. For 2 days, I would gladly put up with the minus points of the hotel. Narrow corridors, small lift, doors that do not lock, bad decor & bad maintainance were just some things we noticed. One particularly annoying point is the breakfast. To have to pay extra for anything other than bread rolls & tea is a bit much !"

• Travel date: 9th October 2005

Great views but ...........................

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Our room was poorly maintained with a dripping shower all night and windows not being able to be closed properly. The room was not clean. Breakfast was not worth the trip to the top floor for a couple of bread rolls and very unfriendly service. The foyer always smelt of stale smoke. On 2 occassions we were told that a taxi had been booked for a morning departure to the airport and ferry terminal but surprisingly never turned up, and one of the proprietors provided the 'taxi' service at a cost more than the quoted taxi fare. The Hotel has a great view but the experience was poor - Try elsewhere"

• Travel date: 2nd July 2005

mixed

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"The views are magnificient, and the staff very friendly - when they tried to book a cab for us but failed one of the staff drove us to the airport themselves (at 3:00am!). However, some rooms are far nicer than others. I stayed twice. For the same price, the first time I got an en-suite room that was great. The second time I got a room with a shower but no toilet (it was shared down a hallway). That would have been OK but when I used the shower it was blocked and leaked everywhere! Not a nice memory. NB: the rooms aren't doubles - they are all twin, regardless of what is said."

• Travel date: 19th September 2004

Best view in Malta

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Wonderful stay, friendly and courteous staff. Magnificent views. My stay was over all too quickly so I'll have to go back."

• Travel date: 15th April 2004

Definetly the best choice

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"This family run hotel is located in the best spot in valletta possesing breathaking views of the grand harbour while it s only 2 minutes walk from the center.The hotel have a Bar & restaurant wich is on the seventh floor where breakfast/lunch & dinner are served .Most rooms have a balcony with fantastic views.Staff is so friendly& rooms are very clean & well mantained by the 4 brothers who run this hotel.Price is under 45Euro for a double including breakfast & all taxess. This definetly is the best choice for Valletta accomodation. We keep on coming every year to this place is so unique. Brian & Betty Spires."

• Travel date: 4th January 2004

Hotels near Grand Harbour Hotel

Grand Harbour Hotel is also called

• grand harbour hotel malte
  • grand harbour hotel valletta
  • grand harbour valletta