Excelsior Grand Hotel

Great Siege Road, Valletta, Island of Malta FRN 1810 Malta

2079

Objective review

Good

"The Excelsior Grand Hotel in Malta is a very nice hotel. The building and surroundings are beautiful. The pool are is spacious and very nice. The view on the harbour is stunning. For me, big downside is there is no grass around the pool, I personally do not like concrete pool areas. Service: Extremely helpful and kind staff. Rarely seen such friendly people. Anything you ask, they try to accomodate. Downside is that they seem to be quite new and inexperienced at this and while they try, it is not always what you ask for. Rooms are really nice, also very good bathroom. Do make sure to ask for a seaside room at the end of the hall as we had a garden room and that means your room gives out onto the parking.
Yes, the hotel is not completely ready yet but it is barely noticeable and did not bother me at all.
All in all, a very nice stay, very nice hotel, would definitely go again."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of May 2008

R.F

"An amazing property with out standing location and to top it all the staff is well trained and capable to handle all situation, I was very dimanding cos had a familly memeber with special needs and all the staff was willing to help. The Excelsior is still new and is still not fully operational as a 5 star hotel but when you feel that all the managment and staff are really caring and after the customers needs you can say that they know how and when to deliver to a five star standard, The food was an unforgetable experiance the amazing variaty that one can find is undiscribible I had the oportunty taste the Asian, Mediteranian and the Sunday familly buffet and no one of my familly or friends walked out disapointed, it was a life time experiance we enjoyed the Excelsior and Malta"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

Excellent

"Superb 5* Hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. Indoor and outdoor pool., health and fitness centre and all you require from a first class hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of May 2008

Great Hotel

"We stayed here for 6 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. Staff were very attentive and helpful. Room was comfortable and quiet. Free wireless internet was a big plus. Many nice amenities, such as indoor and outdoor pools, spa, sumptuous buffets for breakfast and dinner. Everything brand spanking new. Location was terrific for our purposes (though not so much if you come to Malta to hang out at the beach). Old Valetta and the main bus station were just minutes walk away (though up numerous steps, so elderly and disabled be advised)."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of April 2008

Not quite there yet

"Hotel in good location for Valletta. Rooms all new so excellent, Front room views are better than side rooms. I would avoid rooms overlooking the pool area, as it is used by kids for continuous football. You won't enjoy your balcony (unless they are your kids)

Food is not 5 star but OK. They still need to work on the pool area as very basic hard landscaping. Need to soften it to make it more pleasant to be there. Biggest area is lack of control, people are allowed to play music at varying levels making relaxation difficult. Also if you want to eat by the pool you have to avoid the constant footballs from the kids. Was there on business first, leisure for a couple of days afterwards. Not quite sure it gets either right yet.

Finally they are booking large party groups and on one night (Friday) a large group +50people moved out on to the pool area and had a shouting/singing session for nearly an hour at approaching midnight.. The management did nothing to curtail it.. If they can improve the mangement of a few areas, it could be good."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of April 2008

Excess in the Excelsior

Good

"Spent three nights here over the particularly early Easter this year. Greeted at the front desk by people with hot towels and a cool drink (quite a shock after flying Ryanair). Assigned a lovely room with a waterfront view - see pics. All staff were exceptionally caring and helpful. Breakfast has EVERYTHING you could possibly want. Didn't eat there at night as we wanted to vary our experiences. Bar very pleasant at night and got great tips and information from barman Ray Celeste - a history graduate who filled in our knowledge gaps (extensive). Didn't see ANY kids there so I don't know how how it would suit families. One downside, the hotel is a 10 minute uphill walk from the city gates plus 89 (yes, I counted) steps from the ornate front gate to the door (you can sense the height difference in my 3rd photo). It is expensive, but does provide exceptional service, facilities and style. I used it for 3 out of 7 nights on Malta and was glad to have the variety - much more luxury and I wouldn't have made it up the steps at all!"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of April 2008

Fantastic stay, highly recommended

"The Excelsior Grand is a 5-star hotel in Valletta. As an executive summary, staying at this hotel was a superb experience and I would highly recommend it.

Location: The hotel is just outside of the Valletta city wall, about 10-15 mins walk from the main attractions. It is a great base for exploring Valletta. To get there, either take taxi or bus. To reach it from the main Valletta bus terminus, walk directly away from the city gate past the Phoenicia hotel, and turn right. The Excelsior Grand is a short distance down the hill on the left (look for the black wrought iron gate, there is not a prominent sign). Thumbs up for location.

Staff: Staff were very helpful. The check-in staff were pleasant and the process was smooth. The concierge was quite knowledgeable about the local attractions, and made good restaurant recommendations. The bellhops were also friendly. Thumbs up for staff.

Room: My room was spacious and well-appointed. There was all the "nice" stuff you would associate with a high-end hotel, like a robe and slippers laying on the bed upon evening arrival. Quality seemed good - there are very few rooms that I walk into with shoes on and notice that the carpet and pad are sufficiently high quality to feel good underfoot. The hotel provided two complimentary bottles of water (it is suggested not to drink the Valletta water). The bed was large and comfortable. The room was equipped with a larger flat-screen TV, and a fairly standard channel lineup. The hotel provided free WiFi (get instructions from the reception); the signal in my room was fairly limited, and the speed was on the slow side, but it worked fine. The room was very clean; I only stayed for one night, so I can't really comment further about housekeeping.

Bathroom: My bathroom was large and very clean. It had a large free-standing wash basin, and tub/shower. Washcloths and amenities such as shampoo were provided, and of upscale quality.

Facilities: The hotel has a superb pool with a view of the harbour. The hotel restaurant also offers a view over the harbour, quite amazing. The buffet breakfast was of good quality and decent variety. I also ate at the hotel restaurant one evening, when they had a Mediterranean buffet (every Saturday?). The buffet had reasonable variety, quality was so-so and it was on the expensive side. Restaurant staff are (like the other hotel staff) very helpful and attentive.

Miscellaneous: As noted in other reviews, the Excelsior Grand has recently undergone renovation. There is still some work ongoing, but it seems to be confined to common areas and I understand all the guest rooms have been completed. I could still hear drills from the restaurant, but never from my room. There MAY be some facilities unavailable (gym), but generally I would not let the reovation put you off.

Summary: The Excelsior Grand was a truly great experience, and I recommend it both to fussy travellers and those looking to splurge a little. I paid 100 Euro for my room, including breakfast, which I regard as a bargain. In summer, you could pay twice that and not feel cheated. I would definitely stay at Excelsior Grand again if in Valletta."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2008

Superb in all respects

"We stayed for four nights early in March 2008 and I consider it one of my best hotel experiences. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. The hotel location is magnificent, nestling against the outer walls off Valetta (although it is a bit of a steep climb to the entrance of Valetta city). We ate at the hotel three evenings and the food was superb. Our harbour view room was first rate. To summarise for any future visit to Malta we will head straight for the Excelsior."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of March 2008

Brilliant stay in soft opening

"When we visited the Excelsior, it was in the soft opening stage. As a result, we got the rooms for an absolute steal (on a p.p. basis, 42 Euros/night) for one sea view room (first two photos) and a sea front room (last photo). Both were exquisite - the views amazing, the rooms very well appointed, obviously recently renovated, all mod cons etc.

I know there were renovations going on - at times you would see someone ducking through a side panel, they were furnishing a room up the hall etc, but so quiet! You would never have known. The loud music from a nearby club (which only penetrated through glazed doors because I had my door wide open to let in the breeze) was more penetrating.

The negatives? There are a few bugs eg they were still setting up wireless in the rooms, in my friends' room the tv was not working properly (which controlled internet, tv etc) and took a while to fix, one morning there was noone at the concierge's desk and we were kept waiting 10min, and the first morning breakfast wasn't outstanding (but it was the other days!). And the only REAL negative is finding the way in when you come in at 1am - the little turnoff to get to the front entrance of the hotel is not marked, nor is the hotel, and it took us a while. Of course, this was a foretaste of Maltese signposting, but is easily fixed.

The service was high class, rooms great (did I mention huge, comfortable beds and massive bathrooms?) and location great whether on foot to Valletta, to the buses or driving. Malta is a truly special place.

In summary, the excelsior beat the pants off the other "5 star" hotel we stayed in (in Sweden). Well worth it."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of March 2008

Soft Opening -Benefit of Doubt

"Having taken advantage of a British Airways sale by purchasing two flights very cheaply, we liked the look of the Excelsior Grand, in particular the location overlooking the harbour, and the fact it was fully refurbished having changed ownership

Book a deluxe sea front room -you will not be disappointed with the amazing 180 degree views of the harbour even though the rates are slightly higher and facilities the same as other deluxe rooms.

A lot of facilities eg restaurants/spa are not yet available but as we were expecting this did not affect our level of enjoyment

There were very few guests in the hotel so would have expected the service to be excellent. However this was not to be and quite often staff were happier for instance polishing cutlery rather than attending to serving guests/removing dirty plates etc

At breakfast on each of the four days we had to request and wait for a member of staff to be retrieved from the kitchen to man the "egg station". The variety of items available was excellent although because they chose to fill up the hot food containers fully at the start of the service, because there were so few guests the quality began to deteriorate -it would be better in such circumstances to top up little and often

Room Service comprising Burger & Club sandwich took 40mins

Housekeeping hit and miss with regard to replenishing towels etc

The hotel has a great location on the waterfront and is only 5 mins from the Bus Station which connects the whole island -the drawback being the hill you have to negotiate to get there or alternatively there are over 140 steps going the "quick" route. However I understand in due course there will be a shuttle bus and even a water taxi in due course

On checkout Reception were not aware of the special tarrif we had booked "Global Mastercard" but after making enquiries the correct charges were applied

All in all there is great potential at the hotel but the inexperienced staff need much training in all aspects before it achieves the expected standards of a 5star hotel"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of January 2008

Great Experience.

"One will agree that a Good Hotel makes it nice and attractable are the rooms the main lobby, pool space and location.

But then, you find Hotels which have that edge and I think that the excelsior has it.

We visited the ADMIRAL LANDING last night, we were 14 people celebrating the graduations of our girlfriends.

First of all Mr. Alfred ( duty Manager I suppose ) was really helpful and really threated us very well. Also the staff was very friendly and were always avialable when we needed.

We took the SET-MENU of the day, which consisted of Antipasti ( amazing ), Main Course Fish, Chicken or Ribye and Rivioli, and Deserts. All this for EUR 28.00 and considering for what we took, it's Value for Money at a top Hotel in Malta.

The Girls enjoyed the night very much and once again I would like to thank all the staff at Admiral Landing.

Yes, and Thanks goes to the Porter, which he was so patient with us taking some photos with the Limo.

Best Regards,

Mr. Williams"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of December 2011

Loved Malta, Adored Valletta, Grand Excelsior Hotel Amazing!

"We were made to feel very welcome from the first moment we arrived until we left. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Lavinia on reception deserves a special mention as too does Simone our maid.
It was my birthday whist we were staying and i was treated like a queen. The room and balcony were kept spotlessly clean and tidy, coffee and tea topped up every day as too were the good quality toiletries. View from the balcony stunning ( room 928 )
Breakfast was a feast in it's self. The late opening times were most welcome.
The spa was lovely and the girls working there a delight.
Area around the pool was clean and easy to access, lots of sunbeds available and a very welcome drinks service.
We enjoyed our stay so much we are planning on returning to this hotel next year!"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of May 2011

Hotels near Excelsior Grand Hotel

Stayed at Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your insight.

Excelsior Grand Hotel is also called