The spirit of Malta

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed there the last week and it was wonderful. The reception manager is the best person we've ever met abroad! He wanted to let us stay at the hotel (because our plane was at 2AM in the night) for late check out without paying anything but we insistede because is not possible to stay in a hotel for half a night and not pay anything. The breakfast is perfect and the juice is the best of it. They also have good orange jam which is so different than the one I've tryied in my country. The view from the breakfast room is breathtaking - you can see all Valletta from the top of the hotel. The cleaning is good and they have 2 lifts. The hotel is authentic inside - as a real small castle...If you want to have a larg and sunny balcony ask for room number 25 - the one where we stayed - is the largest balcony in the hotel and has a view to the harbour and to the Upper Barakka gardens."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

a memorable vacation

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Castille for 10 nights, through New Year 2008.

Outstanding location, 5 minutes from the Valletta bus terminal.

Historical building. The rooftop restaurant offers the absolutely best vantage point I've found in Malta, ovelooking Grand Harbour, just across from Birgu and Senglea. Spectacular.
Very friendly and accomodating staff. Service with a smile and a joke. Breakfast and restaurants most pleasing. Cleaning and housekeeping very good.

Granted, the building is rather aged and so are the furniture and room decorations. Did not bother me one bit, it actually helped me tune in to the majesty and charm of historical Valletta.

I found the Castille not only great value for money, meeting resonable requirements in the highest degree, but also genuinely charming - an older sentinel from past, more civilized times."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of February 2008

A Base in Valletta

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My wife & I needed accommodation in Valletta recently on a couple of occasions to accompany our daughter as she moved back again to Malta to work . 5 Star hotels are both too formal and too expensive for us!

The Castille has a good central location. The hotel is not luxurious, but clean and spacious. Most importantly, all the staff are courteous, kind and attentive. Our above average rating is not for the standard of rooms & decor, but for the friendliness of the service. The coffee shop and vaulted basement restaurant are excellent.

We would have no hesitation in booking in at the Castille again next time we visit Valletta."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of December 2007

Home away from home

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Just stayed at the Castille for three weeks. I have been staying at the Castille, for both long and short stays in Malta, over the course of twelve years. I love the views from the roof-top restaurant, the great location, and the large and CLEAN double rooms. I've probably stayed here 20 times. The staff are the most personable and helpful people I've ever met in a hotel -- and that friendliness is especially what keeps me coming back, year after year. The Castille has been a 'home away from home' for me.. It is a great value in a great city."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of November 2007

Severe Bed Bug Infestation!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I stayed here for one evening on the 8 sept 2006. The hotel seems very nice but after one night here, I flew back to London to discover very itchy welts all over my body. I soon worked out these were the result of bed bugs. There were hundreds of itchy welts all over my body - hideous. I called the hotel to complain. The receptionist transferred me to a Manager, who never bothered to answer the phone.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Cockroach in room

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Just got back from a night's stay in the Castille. The hotel was in a good location and in a nice building but other than that it was awful. Our room was supposed to be a double but was just 2 singles pushed together, the telephone didn't work, the lightbulb in the lamp was broken. Our room must have been next to the main water tank in the hotel because every time someone had a shower we could hear the water running very loudly from about 6 am so couldn't sleep much after that. Went into the bathroom in the morning to find a huge cockroach scuttling towards me! We complained about this and the response we got was a half hearted apology. They didn't seem shocked at all! The breakfast was very poor, very little choice. I decided on cereal only to find the milk had gone off. There was an additional charge for any cooked food eg. eggs, bacon sauusage which I was surprised at given the amount I had paid for the room. The breakfast room was shabby and I spotted a few ants on the serving table. Not impressed - I strongly reccommend anyone considering staying here to rethink."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of May 2005

Simplicity, charm, and character

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"The Castille is a hotel with real personality and charm, as well as a lovely staff. The location is terrific as a base for going all around Malta, as one can walk to the island's main bus terminal. I loved sitting outside and looking over the city while eating my breakfast...Malta is very special, and Castille, to me, is "true" to its location."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of February 2005

Great place to stay

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I was a month long gest of this hotel. I had a great view and the service was wonderful first and foremost. The hotel may be ageing but I think it is a fitting way to stay in a city with so much history. Give it a chance and you won't be disapointed."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of February 2005

Great location, away from the package tour crowd

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"The Castille is a once classy hotel now crumbling a bit around the edges... Very conveniently situated at the entrance to Valetta. All the Malta buses leave from the terminal 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Rooftop restaurant is decent. Breakfast uninspiring. Restaurant in ancient wine cellar in basement is good. Staff are very nice, helpful. Ask for a room with a view."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of July 2004

Unprecedented views and location

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Just returned from our second stay at the Castille. Hotel offers unprecedented views across Grand Harbour and whole Island and is located on same square as Prime Minister's Office and Malta Stock Exchange. Although rooms can be best describe as having 'faded charm' they are still clean and basic. Hotel offers excellent value half board and staff are very friendly and helpful. Thankfully Valletta is void of nightlife which makes one feel as though you have the whole 'World Hertiage' City to youself in the evening. Those requiring nightlife are only a few miles away from the 'ready made' tourist resorts."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of June 2004