Superior Room

1928 reviews

Dead Spider Cockroches Uncooked food Disgusting hotel please read my review

Reviewed 1st June 2016

"Hello  I stayed at San Pawl Hotel i arrived Tuesday and left Sunday and Like to make a complaint regarding the overall stay there. I have also attached images Worst Hotel in Malta The Food - We had all inclusive and lets just say i skipped breakfast and lunch and dinner and ate outside the hotel. Soon as you walk in the canteen its small old fashion and not many choices you see customers full of shock. Uncooked food no taste at all ..we saw customers faces and everyday people requested chips or something 2 be made as food presented was that bad. Not many options expect 6 trays of food only. 3 deserts which are just cakes no fruits available. the orange juice is brown (images attached ) 3 people while i was at the hotel withing the week got sick and got taken to hospital due to food poisoning on our last day we could not have lunch they closed it due to managements family hiring the canteen out for lunch. Customers were in shock by this and had to eat out so missed out on a lunch. Room - I have images of the room so you can see for yourself. a brothel is more appalling. Old fashion designs. Balcony looks unsafe you have a view of broken buildings a closed and shutdown hotel and just stones its a pretty crap area. Dead squashed spider on wall. No air con in toilet or window . housekeeper doesn't change your towels i had to leave a note to request new towels she changed it once within the 7days.Not many channels on TV only 1 channel that shows English films in English the rest of channels.are not English. You have to pay 10euros for a remote but yes u get it back. tap water doesn't run well had to use hot water to brush my teeth. state of toilet view images yourself for that. Entertainment- its for old folks only i went to the old fashion bar which smells of mold and the entertainment is old fashion songs.The lift also did not work properly Swimming pool - There is 2 pools indoor and out. Indoor pool was empty everyday i wondered why? when i went in i noticed because you have to pay to use Jacuzzi and the pool viewing this it was dirty water. i notice they never changed the water or cleaned.it and took a image of my arrival and wen i left and notice the dirt was still sitting at the bottom of the pool. images attached too. Broken tiles on floor.outdoor pool is boring no music nothing sadly the building is under shade so u cant get any sun on you and you notice builders building too because the place seems.like its under construction but in the wrong places. Area- The beach which is near is horrible its full of mud stones man made sand and can only fit 10 people its full of bricks and stones its so bad.Go to golden bay its about 1 hour away though. The area is very trampy and there is a hotel opposite hotel which is shut up and closed. that's a red flag and may mean they may not be making any money.Jesters is the restaurant opposite the hotel do not go into there rude staff members and uncooked food cheap drinks though. when complaining about the uncooked food waiter rolled her eyes and stamped her feet.Customers have been sick due to their food too. On the beach- booked with on the beach, we requested to move hotels they said it would be 200pounds and plus it was half board only.We refused and other customers left the hotel and moved but they booked with Thomson  so avoid on the beach Overall View: Catering manager from what i was informed of is English, he should know better and really needs to improve and have a bigger canteen and options.Its embarrassing.When we had a introduction meeting with a rep the English manager was sitting next to the meeting discussing business very loud over talking the meeting its was disrespectful he could of took his meeting somewhere else. The manager and owner needs to stop pocketing the profit and needs to look at maintenance and customers needs.It was selfish to have closed lunch time for your family to have a brunch.Its not for kids i felt sorry for a little who had to request certain food to be made for her and there is no kids entertainment. Malta in general is not for kids. hotel was aimed at elder people who are retiring.Also please note the guy who tells you about the bus tour etc please do your own research and get outside hotel,they will charge 56 for a tour to Gozo. you can get a bus to it for 1euro 50 and ferry.And i advise you just get buses to places like fireworks etc as you spend 1.50 euros for bus and you pay 50 pounds instead for tour bus there and they don't even tell you where you are. I am opening my own hotel and have a lot of knowledge and do think this hotel will close soon by the reviews and problems and the state of it. 3policemen was going into the hotel on my last day there and one of the policemen was talking to me and told me everything about the hotel as i had told him what the condition was like and food what he told me was shocking...please avoid. lovely staff would suggest they look for a job else were. "

• Travel date: 31st May 2016

worst hotel in the world

Reviewed 25th May 2016

"This hotel has to be the most disgusting place I have ever stayed at. The Living conditions in our room are extremely unhygienic and an environmental health hazard. I've have seen pest/ rodents in the dining area. I have photographic evidence of the drainage waste room attached to our "superior" room that send waste fumes into our room that we have to breath in and has made my girlfriend unwell. The bed sheets are dirty and a hazard. After bringing this to the attention of he manager he was extremely rude to us and dismissive and said he didn't care if my girlfriend was unwell. He said he would deny any comments I make on trip advisor. He has also blatantly admitted that he will charge certain people for an upgrade to a superior room and give it to others for free and I quote "I will do this at my own discretion" He has charged me an extra €180 for an unhygienic "superior" room whilst he has upgraded others for free. We had to pay for this upgrade (if you can call it that) as the standard room was unfit for an animal to stay in. This is the the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at and it has very serious environmental health issues both with the rooms and with there food and pest concerns in the dining area. I dread to think what the inside of the kitchen is like and the major food poisoning hazard for guest. "

• Travel date: 25th May 2016

No wonder they're closing this hotel

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Our first holiday in 9 years-what a disaster! Miserable staff from checking in to checking out. Food average. Room filthy. Bathroom smelt of sewage. Double bed had one single sheet across the middle??? Charged for everything eg use of kettle, towels. Paid for a sea view - nowhere near the sea! The view we got was a derelict building opposite! We paid a lot of money for what is rated locally as 1 star max. Star rating not changed for 12 years we were told by locals! Being closed down - wonder why? No-one we spoke to liked the hotel. Locals thought it was amusing us staying there! Wish I'd know before. Thomson/Thomas Cook should have checked out this hotel"

• Travel date: 31st October 2012

what a dump

Reviewed 20th September 2011

"1 patio door did not lock 2 fan didn,t work properly 3 toilet seat broken 4 bath was very dirty and dated. 5 deck beads were worn and unsafe to lie on. 6 bed bases were made out of a couple of planks and screwed together 7 wardrobe was very small and falling apart. 8 net curtains were very dirty and cigarette burns on them. 9 any problems we had with the above were ignored by the thompsons rep. 10 entertainment was very poor and based round locals. 11 food was average. 12 hotel deserves a 2 star maximum. 13 surrounded area was like a ghetto and dirty 14 malta itself was very nice ,but don,t have the urge to go back again.."

• Travel date: 17th September 2011

What a dump! Do not go here.

Reviewed 23rd August 2011

"This hotel is not in nice area, it is in a intimidating built up residential area, with most of surrounding shops shut down or smashed. The street are covered in household waste and dog mess. The staff were not friendly, not prepared to listen to complaints. All they were interested in was how much money they could make, although this was obviously not put back into the maintainance of the hotel. Everything was like it was good in the 60's but it has remained that way. Nothing for children except the pool. Entertainment was dreadful (imagine blackpool in the 70's, man on an organ and a constant stream of bad elvis renditions)rooms were so unbeleivably hot the ceiling fan did nothing except blow the hot air around. The food was average, and was not self serve buffet style. If you like watermelon you're in for a 2 week treat! kids meal consisted only of chicken nuggets and chips, but you had to ask for it. As soon as you layed your knife and fork on your plate when finished your plate was whipped away, some may say efficient i thought it rude and hostile. Pool area was nice though small. Residents were welcome in the evenings so much so if you wanted to listen to the dreadful entertainment you couldn't get a seat, and to top it all their drinks were charged at a cheaper rate! theft was rife! not a pleasent experience, just glad we went with such good friends that we were able to laugh! Noted that since we have been back this has been downgraded!"

• Travel date: 18th August 2011

Never Again....

Reviewed 5th July 2011

"Dirty rooms never got cleaned everyday, had to ask for towels, and when we got them they were soaking wet, paid for superior rooms, fridge,air,condition, like many other guest,s they were quite happy to take your money but can not give you what you have paid for...first and last time we will every stay at san pawl, will never return to this hotel,food was ok, but not a lot of choice at breakfast., was not looking to be staying in a palace but all we wanted was clean sheets, and the room cleaned, a lot off people were unhappy the same as us. still love malta, but not this hotel..............."

• Travel date: 2nd July 2011

worst hotel i have ever been to

Reviewed 31st August 2010

"24 Aug 2010 couple birmingham stopped for one week that was enough ,television only with a remote none were available we were told we should have supplied our owen ,tried to change money at reception they had any , head waiter raymond was only interested in single young women, the pool area was filty and most of the sun beds were rotten , the chef needs to go on a cookery course ,out side the hotel looks like a red light area "

• Travel date: 31st August 2010

A clean, tidy & friendly hotel!

Reviewed 25th August 2010

"We stayed at the San Pawl Hotel a few years back and found it ok. We decided to go back there this year and must say that we were very impressed with it the minute we stepped foot inside. The first impressions were of it being clean and tidy. All staff were very welcoming and friendly. The corridor areas being the same. Our room was spotless, together with the bathroom and no damp to be found. The service of the maid each day was good. We found the bed & breakfast to be brilliant and you had a good choice to eat & drink each morning, together with the pool bar, food, drink and service alike, also the bar staff at the pool were very friendly, we had a laugh and they made the holiday even more enjoyable!! As for the swimming pools, both the childrens and larger pool were very clean, and would see staff cleaning them and the surrounding area early every morning from our balcony. This is certainly a hotel that we shall be staying in again when we have our annual visit to Malta.....For anybody who is thinking of slating this hotel, we sugggest you take a look at some of the others first!!"

• Travel date: 25th August 2010

Never be tempted to use this hotel in the summer

Reviewed 26th August 2010

"The San Pawl hotel was an average 2 star hotel, the rooms were tidied every day (never cleaned) food was not too bad with a good choice. Raymond contrary to most opinions I found amusing, the other dining room staff were very friendly and helpful as were all the staff I came into contact with (including Sandra on the desk). The entertainment in the hotel was fair. The main drawback and the most discussed point amongst hotel guests was the absence of air conditioning, the heat in the rooms was horrendous and no one we spoke to managed to get any more than a couple of hours sleep a night, some resorted to sleeping outside on their balconies but that put you at the mercy of the mosquitoes. I would not advise anyone to use this hotel whilst they rely on a ceiling fan in temperatures of over 34c combined with high humidity. Possibly the hotel would be acceptable in the cooler part of the year. "

• Travel date: 24th August 2010

Do not use this Hotel.

Reviewed 2nd August 2010

"We booked a late holiday as my job is in a state of flux at the moment and paid a very reasonable price, so my expectations of the San Pawl Hotel were not high to begin with. However room 4061 is graced with a filthy grey brown 'carpet' held together with tape, decrepit furniture and a shower which only just deserves the name. The staff have that studied pleasantness which seems nice at first but you soon realise that they are not going to help you in anyway unless it involves reliving you of more cash. The 'gym' would be poor if the equipment worked but as only the cross trainer and a sit down bike function adequately it does not deserve the billing received. The 'games room' consists of a sloping pool table, video games and an ancient pin ball table all aimed at creaming off just a little more of your cash. Breakfast is the highlight of the affair, while basic, it is at least tasty and decently presented in the over crowded dinning room. However it’s clearly aimed at the bacon and eggs brigade, fruit would be a use addition and the ‘little Hitler’ who greets you and orders you to a table of his choosing does not make for a friendly atmosphere. Everything about this Hotel does not live up to the advertising. It is poorly run, disastrously maintained and not worth even the lowish price we paid. Take my advice, as I will in future and book earlier, pay the few hundred extra and go elsewhere!! PS Malta itself is a friendly and intriguing place. "

• Travel date: 2nd August 2010

Great value for money

Reviewed 29th October 2009

"Booked a last minute weekend break direct through the hotels website where all room types where available to book we however deceided to book the cheapest room that was available . Upon arrival at the hotel we where suprised at how friendly the reception staff was it took a few seconds to check us in got our key and went to our room laughing as we where expecting the broom cupbroad for the price we paid, so when we opended the door to the room we very relieved to find a normal clean room, fresh towels on the beds, we thought it was too good to be ture so we checked the sheets clean crisp sheets, the bathroom was a bit old but clean, furniture ok room had a balcony onto the street which lets lots of natural daylight in, when we went in for our evening meal we didn't know what to expect but there was a good selection and food nicely presented on the buffett, food was tasty however if you have a sweet tooth the deserts are to die for, not being breakfast people we went in for breakfast on our last day and regreted not going in before ass there was a nice selection of hot food, cerals & cake :-). seeing the previous reviews on here we went to the San Pawl Hotel not knowing what to expect but I guess if you want a five star hotel one should pay the price and go to a 5star hotel we where very happy with the staff and hotel in general and will return."

• Travel date: 29th October 2009

Worst hotel ever

Reviewed 30th July 2009

"This hotel is probably the worst hotel I ever stayed in. The room were grimey, all the furniture were worn down and ill fitted. The beds had horrible matresses withs springs poking my back. When I made my complaint about the bed the receptionist promised that maitenece would have it changed for me. When a maitenence guy eventually showed up he changed the bed to one exactly as bad as the first one. I suspect he never acually changed te matress. Very rude man by the way. The staff were with few exceptions rude and totally uninterested to be at service, especially in at breakfast, where waiters patrolled the dining area like prison guards to quickly snatch the plate of your table as fast as you had amptyed it. Very stressful and quite bizarre. The “hot and cold breakfast buffet” were discusting. I know brits like a full dinner with fried eggs and bacon for breakfast but for us others there were not much to eat. Coffy- and juicemachines were usally out of order. After a quick inspection we decided to never use the pool or the sunbeds availeble. Grimey, cats drinking from pool and so on... The hotel offers “entertainment” in the outside pool bar every night. This usally consists of some guy singing “hits” horrably to a prerecorded background from 21.00 to 23.30. This would´nt be a issue if our room were airconditioned. Since it wasn´t we had to keep the balcony door opend. Add to that the pub across the street blasting away and well... To conclude, do not stay at this hotel. "

• Travel date: 29th July 2009
  • ...

Hotels near San Pawl Hotel

Top traveller tips for San Pawl Hotel

• by xnyx1988

"Use the profit to go towards maintanceRefurbish the hotelGet better entertainmentGet new chef and sort out the drinks they are cheapChange p..."

• by Anan Anan

"stay well away from this awful hotel, it will ruin your holiday and makes you want to leave Malta as soon as possible "

• by elaine, nottingham

"Change the staff, send a rep out to see how bad it really is - oh sorry it's closing down! Surprise. Will be following this up personally ..."

• by JamesB

"Never be tempted to use this hotel in the summer"

• by malena321

"Bakkura gardens - great for views and lunch."

San Pawl Hotel is also called