Good

Basic,Tired and Shabby!

Reviewed Mon 2nd of April 2012

"Self catering apartment very basic, with very few catering facilities and equipment - not really able to use for cooking other than the basics. Everything a little shabby and old - thin sheets and blankets, lumpy pillows and no real home comforts. Indoor pool was cold and dirty, jacuzzi didn't work and outdoor pool area closed for refurb which we didn't know about. Staff helpful and friendly. Not a bad location, although very few amenities in the immediate area."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2012

Don't unless 120% sure

Reviewed Mon 6th of June 2011

"DON'T PAY these people unless you're absolutely sure and DON'T give them your bank details.Club Malta staff took my money £139.00 from account even after cancelling.Once they took my never heard from them, didn't reply me e-mails,before this they were calling me on a daily basis. I have been chasing for a refund and I have given up."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of June 2011

Porto Azurro Hotel 9 - Club Malta 0

Reviewed Thu 5th of May 2011

"Having read previous reviews of this hotel, I went with an open mind and no great expectations. Happily, my fears about tired rooms and poor food were unfounded, as the room allocated was a studio with much better facilities than I had expected, and there was a new bar/restaurant manager, Brian and a new chef, who both went to a great deal of trouble to ensure not only that food was of the highest quality but that we enjoyed our stay. Reception staff were also attentive and helpful.

The hotel's link with Club Malta, through whom this holiday was first booked, is an unfortunate one. Once Club Malta had taken payment for the holiday, I was unable to get a response from them regarding confirmations, and never got a receipt for money paid.
Understandably, I was very concerned prior to departure and eventually, I phoned the hotel direct the day before I travelled, to find that there wasn't a reservation for me, however, they assured me that it wasn't a problem and did have everything ready on arrival.

I will return to the Porto Azurro Hotel, but would recommend any approaches from Club Malta (who actually said to me during their 'presentation' that this hotel was rubbish) to be disregarded as the hotel isn't expensive, is good value for money and can be easily booked without the hassle of timeshare pushers.

• Travel date: Wed 4th of May 2011

False Promises.

Reviewed Thu 18th of November 2010

"Having been contacted by staff of Club Malta, who said the were linked to "Malta Tourist Board" I thought I would be safe in booking a 10 day break with them. I did check out The Porto Azzuro out on internet and after reading comments which were at most favourable. The mistake that I made was taking the word of the staff of "Club Malta" who I would recommend to others "DON'T" unless you get everything in writing before you book, you are asking for trouble, in fact I am still owed £32.00+ which I have kissed goodbye too.

The hotel itself is, Yes its tired and a little bit run down and is at the present is being spruced up but still offers rooms or apartments at reasonable prices, the staff from cleaners to reception I would give 10 out of 10 for what the have to work with. The food is a bit repetitive but OK, but I will warn you the Maltese like their "Salt" so if you have a problem with this warn the staff and the chef is only happy to oblige to any requests and I nearly forgot, they also like very large portions. If you have any problems "Please" tell the staff they are not mind readers.
Please also note there is "NO" entertainment at this hotel while we were there.

On the whole the holiday could have been better if "Club Malta" staff on not told a pack of lies and listened to my concerns over my wife's and my mobility and health problems (Having to climb steep hill to return to hotel) and received the accommodation promised.

One final warning don't overprice the holidays that you have taken if you attend a time-share presentation, as you will be offered the time-share accordingly.
We got offered one for £4000.00 less discount(LAUGH) while a couple we met was offered one for £8000.00( LAUGH) for the same accommodation and same holiday periods because they said the spent twice as much as us on previous holidays. "

• Travel date: Thu 18th of November 2010

Dont get what you pay for

Reviewed Thu 12th of August 2010

"As it was our first time in malta we did not know what to expect, our first impressions of the complex were great but on booking in we were told that half way through our 7 night stay we could not have the room allocated to us which was a 1 bedroom apt as they had put other people in our due to them complaining about building work nearby. We arrived on the tuesday and said that they will be moving us on saturday, we appreciated that but when they did move us they tried to move us into a hotel room, after seeing the room we went to reception to complain as we booked and paid for a 1 bedroom apt this was at 11.30 am and we were told we would have to wait till 2.00pm till the next receptionist came in, so that was half a day wasted there as we were not prepared to unpack and stay there. After again speaking to the receptionist showing and explaing that we booked this 1 beroom apt she told us she had no rooms left,after a long debated discussion we asked to speak to the manager who unfortunately was not there as it was the weekend. The receptionist then got in touch with the manager then they moved us to a studio apt which was ok for yougsters but a come down for us. The receptionist then said we could speak to the manager at 10.30 on monday morning but that would have taken up yet more of our holiday and as we were going home on tuesday we thought forget it. "

• Travel date: Fri 6th of August 2010

Faulty Towers

Reviewed Thu 17th of June 2010

"When we arived at this hotel we were quite hopeful we had an apartment instead of a room on the top floor so we had a lovely big balcony.
When we went down to breakfast, there was no fruit, no yogurt and the English breakfast left a lot to be desired. The toaster kept stopping and someone would hit it to make it go again.The second week of our holiday the toaster stopped and a young child was putting metal tonges in it to get the toast out, we told the waitress what was happening and that someone was going to get hurt but she said she know's and had told them, we left the resterant as i did not want to see a child get hurt.
The evening meals were a disgrace most of the time i ate nothing. ( no imagination and no international quisine)

The sheets and towels might have been changed once.But the floors and bathroom were never cleaned.

We booked a trip got up early had breakfast, waited for the transport nothing came, when we asked at reception she phoned up the company and they said it had not been booked.(we had a reciept for the booking).

This is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in, while we were there people were asking to be moved.I have to say i blame the tour operater for sending people to a place like this. If we cant trust them what hope is there .

Malta is an nice place to visit but we would never go back to this hotel or recommend it to other people"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of June 2010

dont believe the website

Reviewed Fri 23rd of April 2010

"WE have have recently returned from the porto azzurro (6th april)and fel compelled to write this review.we took this half board deal with Thomas cook as it was so well presented to us by them and the hotel itself!! we were like many other families that arrived at the hotel that we were not in St.pauls bay as advertised but in Xemxija Bay which is miles away from the main towns they will tell you when you complain that its all the same area not likely try walking to Bugiba as suggested by the staff.when we arrived to a very old and shabby hotel we were very disappointed but decided to make the best of it but unfotunately when we got to our room which was through 2 buildings to a lift that nevr worked properly the whole time we were there,(you had to get someone to go up a flight to bring the lift to them and then bring it to the ground floor so that you could get up to your floor) the room was disgusting and filthy not just from previous guests but from many previous guests when we coplained we were told that the staff would have it cleaned and new bedding and towels would be brought to our room. we decided to go out and exolore the area to give them time 5 hours later we returned to find the room had not been touched when we went to recption we realised the cleaning staff had gone for the day!! we demande another room which was ready for guests 2 doors from the one we had been allocated it was relatively clean that was until we seen the other side of the old fashioned nylon cover it was covered with brown stains as was the only blanket we used only the sheets as they at least seem to be clean!butthe room was nevr cleaned once the week we weree there and no clean towels unless we went to recption to get them if they had any as the were alway waiting for a delivery!!the half board did not live up to expectations either as it was to be buffet meals no they dont do buffet meals the catering staff told us but maybe later in the week.it was a set meal in the evening and a disgusting breakfast of turned up ham and salami for continental breakfast and powdered scambled egg boiled bacon beans and tomatoes for english oh and 2 cereals nothing for small children for breakfast of evevning meals,most familes ate out.we were advised on our last day from the Thomson rep that as we had to leave early in the morning that we could have an early breakfast the reception told us we had to make arrangements with catering staff they saud they dont do early breakfast for guests but after some persuasion as we only wanted tea and toast they agred,we came down in the morning to be verbally abused by the chef and he tried to throw us and other people out of the the resterunt. I could go on but as you can imagine we have complained to Thomsons as yet no reply to our complaint.In closing can I say that Malta is beautiful country and the neighbouring towns are great we ate out at the local Greek and Italian with lunch at cafe on the main road they were all great and would reccomend Malta but not this hotel"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of April 2010

Poor value "Club" rip-off

Reviewed Mon 22nd of March 2010

"We were persuaded, in March 2009, to purchase 6 weeks to be taken over the next 3 years. We booked to take two in March this year (28 Feb to 13 March). The one bed appartment was adequately sized for 2 people, although supposedly capable of housing 4. As someone else has said 4 adults would struggle to live in this space.
The standard of cleanliness left much to be desired. It could best be described as shabby. Whether because it was off-season (some adjacent apartments were being redecorated) or for some other reason, the curtains were needed a good clean and the bathroom tile grouting was thick with grunge.
On the plus side, when we discovered, after attempting to clean it, that the frying pan was rusty it was replaced with a brand new Tefal pan within a few hours.
The gym equipment was ancient and most didn't work. So either get rid or at least don't advertise it's availability as a "facility".
The restaurant food was adequate but not good value. The location is OK if, like us, you are not interested in evening entertainment (the buses stop around 8pm). Otherwise there is good access by bus to most of the rest of the Island.
There was another Club sales pitch - increase your contribution by 150% and get access to the "New" "Club Malta" and 4 star luxury at The Riviera for only £69/week.
They must be joking!
The beach rating below is for Mellieha and Golden Bay, both of which are within easy reach on the bus. Xemjia does not have a beach and the bay is a "No Swimming" area."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of March 2010

Reviewed Mon 8th of March 2010

"We had a week at this hotel as part of a promotion package, for Porto Azzrro Resort Club, it cost us £59 B&B each for the week. The breakfast was acceptable and set meals in the evening (at a special rate)were reasonable apart from being served on cold plates.
The beds were cheap and uncomfortable, could feel the springs. the maid service was good. There were no tea/coffee facilites in the rooms.
But for £59 a week we accepted it.
The hotel staff were in general very helpful and pleasent to talk to.
Thelocation was OK busses to Valletta and then all over the Island were cheap and frequent, 11euros for a 5 day pass!
But I would warn people about the Resort Club side of things,
This is Time Share and although we have asked for our deposit back within the 14 day cool off period, They do not reply to our letters.
They are pretty good salesmen, I always thought I would not fall for a sales pitch, They don't give you time to think it out, and you get caught up in the idea.

• Travel date: Fri 5th of March 2010

alarming, day and night

Reviewed Fri 28th of August 2009

"My wife and I did not have high expectations of Porto Azzurro before arriving on the 7th august, as we had read mixed reviews after booking, but what can one expect for £500pp for 12 nights half board in 3star accomodationin at the height of the season.
"Well that is what we were telling ourselves in the taxi on the way to Porto Azzurro from the airport."
At the very same time that we arrived at the hotel desk, a family who had arrived the previous night were being transferred on request to another hotel because they were dissatisfied with the "PA", so at the cost of another £900, which was virtually the price we paid for our 12 day holiday, they were transferred to a 4star hotel.
To cut a long story short, we stayed in the hotel section which was in need of re-decoration, as it was tired and drab, but Rita and the cleaning staff made a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as the room was spotlessly cleaned and tidied everyday.
Likewise the pool is tired,dated and in need of bringing into the new millenia, but George was up before 6am every morning cleaning and scrubbing, and we could'nt fault his hard work.
The restaurant is newly refurbished and Sam, the Australian girl was a ray of sunshine at breakfast and evening mealtimes, as well as being worked off her feet.
The only thing we can say about the food is it is edible, but with limited finess and imagination, starters and puddings were non existant except for soup and a cream flan.
The idea of a roast dinner everyday might appeal to some people but it was just too much for us unless you wanted a very tired salad instead.
The bar next to the restaurant was in desperate need of re-modeling and never thought I would say that I did not like the smoking, but it was awfull.

Overall, we can say we had great value holiday for our money and we had a really lovely stay at Porto Azzuro and would give 6 to 7 for value, but the major issue which was deeply disturbing was the faulty FIRE ALARM, system, which which was NOT repaired in the 12 days we were in Malta.
In fact after experiencing four false alarms over 3 days and nights when everyone evacuated, by the third time only a hand full of people evacuated. The fire panel was emmiting a constant fault signal but instead of getting it fixed, the hotel management actually decided to turn off the system, to silence the fault signal and silence worried hotel residents complaining at the reception desk, whilst managers hid in their office.
Because of this major issue I would advise that no one stays at Porto Azzur until there is an assurance that the fire alarm is fixed and the management are prosecuted for negligence. PS. Two days before we arrived there was a real fire caused by a lighted ciggaret on the top floor of the apparment block.

• Travel date: Tue 25th of August 2009

Don't believe all the bad reviews

Good
Reviewed Wed 12th of August 2009

"My son and I stayed at the Porto Azzuro for 2 weeks and had a superb time. On arrival we were given the wrong room (hotel instead of s/c) however after discussing with the manager this was soon rectified. The staff were extremely helpful and ensured that all was to our satisfaction after the mistake. What can I say, mistakes do happen but if you don't say anything and only whinge about it around the pool to other holiday makers then so be it! We were not expecting 5 star luxury, however for the cost of the flights and accommodation we were pleasantly suprised. Yes the gym area needs attention but who really goes to the gym on holiday?! The indoor and outdoor pools were both clean and the pool bar serves refreshments all day. The apartment was clean, spacious and everything worked in the kitchen. We were lucky to be given a top floor which meant that the balcony was huge, with views down to the pool and across the bay. I guess the type of apartment you get (if not timeshare) is mearly luck of the draw. I think a lot of the bad reviews on this site are from timeshare owners so take that into consideration when reading! The bar and restaurant is open all day and food served well into the night. While the menu may need to be updated, you pay for what you get! The staff are fun and cheerful, get to know them and you'll have a great time! While the resort is a bit out of the way, buses make travelling to other areas easy during the day but be aware that buses back to Xemxjia finish about 7.30pm however taxi's are reasonable. All in all we had a wonderful 2 weeks at the Porto Azzuro. It's a shame that some people on this site didn't enjoy their stay but maybe they were expecting too much..."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of August 2009

unexceptable

Reviewed Tue 23rd of June 2009

"We are owners at the porto azzurro and this was our first and last time staying here, the appartment we were shown on our sign up was not what we got.
we kept being woken up ever night by the sound of a rouster/chickens/and ducks that were under our window.
we stay'd for two horrible week's,we booked for half board for the first three day's so as to settle in,but the food (if you can call it that) was uneatable i would not have even given it to a starving dog.
The only entertainment we got was crapy-okie three nights a week.no transport ie:busses after 7 o'clock. taxi's are expensive upto 7euro's per person,
the room was sort of ok excepet the pull out bed, which had a bent frame so you had to be carefull how you sleep or your feet landed up in the air. the sun beds around the pool were falling apart, if we stayed in for a night just to watch tv all we got was a tv that kept cutting out and only had german programs (excepet sky news)the only good thing around was the hungry moose bar at the bottom of a very steep hill (no good for someone with week legs)as for the porto azzurro it say's that it is a 3star complex. i would rate it as (-3).the staff however are brillent considering what thay have to work with,the maids are fantastic nothing is to much for them and the reception staff are just as good,they try their hardest to help but hve no back up.
while we were there we had a power cut for the day,so no electric i would have thought they would have had a generater so as to use the lifts (but no) poeople on sticks had to walk up and down stairs disabled people had no chance and had to stay in the rooms.
so all in all. the porto azzurro is totaly unexceptable. "

• Travel date: Sun 21st of June 2009

Hotels near Porto Azzurro

Top traveller tips for Porto Azzurro

• "Porto Azzurro is in Xemxjia Bay but the area is nice "

• "well away from Port Azzurro "

• ian&katy by ian&katy

"swimming with the dolphins at the mediterraneo marine park "

• guglielmi by guglielmi

"comino, blue lagoon and Mdina "

• TonyC by TonyC

"OK as a base to tour around Malta "

• F & F by F & F

"Think twice and look at other places in St Pauls or Mellieha "

• Arwin by Arwin

"dont believe the website they are sowing you the timeshare apartments and old pics of other rooms "

• Eddie by Eddie

"Don't expect 5* for 3* prices. Hotel a bit out of the way, there is no night life. "

• Emma H by Emma H

"Just use as a cheap base and get out as much as possible. "

Porto Azzurro is also called