About The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta

• casino
  • butler service

Fantastic holiday

Reviewed Thu 16th of June 2016

"The Westin Dragonara Resort Hotel is in a lovely location overlooking the sea. It is in an ideal location, away from the hustle and bustle but close to every amenity.
The staff were fantastic always helpful and polite , a real asset to the hotel. The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed and everything you may need for a relaxing stay.
It was my birthday while we were there and a fantastic birthday cake was delivered to our room, a lovely touch.
The breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice.
We will look forward to returning next year."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2016

Misleading Advertising and Deplorable Customer Service

Reviewed Wed 19th of August 2015

"Having stayed at this hotel before I was very excited about the prospect of returning this year because it really is an wonderful place to stay (the location, cuisine and the accommodation are all absolutely fantastic) however, this year I have been left very disappointed due to their completely misleading website and largely due to the poor customer service I have received. I have given the rating of 4/10 because the property itself is absolutely wonderful in so many ways however in the event that something goes wrong, you can count on receiving no help and a completely unprofessional approach to customer service. It is the people who have seriously let this establishment down.

Having checked in the website that the offer I wanted was available right before booking flights, I continued to book flights (due to how changeable Ryanair can be and unfortunately, there aren't any other options for flying to Malta that don't cost a fortune) and then returned to the hotel's website. I was taken all the way through the reservation having been able to choose my room, input credit card details and confirm the reservation; it was at Thia Point the system crashed with a 'The system is temporarily unavailable.' message. I called the hotel to check if my reservation may have gone through or if I had been charged for an unsuccessful booking and was told that the offer I had chosen on their website was no longer available. The telephone operator was less than sincere and really did not seem to suggest anything else at to help the situation either. The frustrating element to this is that we actually navigated away from other offers on the website because it said they were no longer available; if that was the case for the one we chose, why was this not communicated in the same manner?I have attached an image of 'Step 2' of the booking process (if the was not available we should never have been able to progress to this stage; we could not get to this stage on the other offers we looked at on their website); I have not included 'Step 3' as this includes personal details.

I had chosen to return to this hotel and to Malta based on the fact the offer I chose was available on the website and now have flights and no hotel due to how misleading and rather terrible the hotel's website is; at no point was I alerted to the offer being unavailable and I was allowed to proceed through the entire booking process until the end.

We are all busy and I am no different; my stay at this hotel last year really helped me to unwind from the two very demanding jobs I have at home and I actually need this time again and am now left incredibly disappointed and rather frustrated by the fact that this may not happen this time. Had the hotel's website communicated the status of their offers and room availability properly, I would not potentially be £450 out of pocket in flights.

I complained to the hotel who maintain that the 'uncontrollable' website error is not their fault. I was offered a discounted rate per night as a 'gesture of good will' that ultimately would end up in us paying more than the the value of the offer that was advertised in the first place. When I responded to them saying this and asking if the original offer we had been led to could be honored (being that it had been falsely advertised) I was basically met with an attitude of 'there is nothing we can / will do'. The only reason I have found myself in this situation in the first place is because of this false advertising, whether it intentional or not and the hotel is fully responsible for this as far as I am concerned. I am truly so disappointed as I really did think that this hotel (and the chain itself) had a higher degree of professionalism and customer care; evidently I was completely wrong about this. I am also dumbfounded and completely irritated by the fact that this is how they treat returning customers.

The 'feud' has been going on now for three days due to nobody taking ownership of the complaint. I have received responses from different people each time which has created a high degree of inconsistency about what is on offer and how much rates now are. They seem absolutely satisfied that this complaint has not at all been resolved; what we are asking for is for the offer that was advertised when we were booking be honored and not a penny more as we do not believe in taking liberties in situations like this.

This is severely disappointing and both mine and my partner's holiday of re cooperation has been tainted before it has even begun. We are frequent travelers to Malta and will not be bothering with this hotel again in the future purely on the basis of the terrible customer service we have received; I believe we will find better customer service at some of the other five star hotels in this and other areas of the island. In all my years of travel to various different kinds of accommodation, I have never come up with this level of dishonesty and such abundant determination for somebody not to take responsibility for their actions; after all, I would not be resorting to writing this here had they not falsely advertised in the first place.

*Please note that the 'When did you travel?' box below is irrelevant because we haven't actually traveled yet."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of August 2015

This was my first time that I visited Ma...

Reviewed Wed 30th of August 2006

"This was my first time that I visited Malta, and although I have stayed in Westin hotels before, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised with the Westin in Malta. The service is truly brilliant. Although the hotel was full, the staff was always very nice and jolly, always willing to help.

The hotel is in a lovely location, right on the sea and there are two private lidos, with pools - plenty of room for everyone! There were loads of kids while we were there, however they weren't a nuisance to us. The animators kept them all entertained with various games, and although music was played rather loud during these games, it was quite fun watching them. I almost joined in myself!

Our room was lovely - really spacious and airy with a large balcony and sea views. It was always done on time and we did not encounter any problems with cleanliness. Actually all the resort seems spick and span.

We were on bed and breakfast basis, and breakfast is really a spread. The buffet is huge and seriously, it keeps you satisfied till late afternoon! We only ate once at one of the Wesitn's restaurants, at Palio's, which is a casual Italian restaurant. I had meat, nicely cooked to perfection - medium to rare, which is rare to find!

My fiancé had a bowl of pasta and when I say a bowl, I really mean a bowl! It was huge! The area around the westin is full of bars and pubs and perfect for night outs.

There's a lot of life around and lots to see in Malta. I was truly impressed with Valletta, the capital city, the three medieval cities (and the inquisitor’s palace with all the torture tools!) and the old capital city of Medina. I’ve never seen anything of the sort. The beaches are small but beautiful and the sea is gorgeous, warm and clear. I really and truly recommend Malta and I myself will go back next year!!

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

great hotel

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I had read some good and some bad about the Hotel, but it still seemed to us like the best possibility on the Island... so we went, unsure of what we would find... But what a good surprise! You honestly have to be really difficult to dislike the place: the infrastructure is lovely, it's clean and full of light, it's a pretty large resort: you barely need to go out for anything. It offers a lot of activities: diving, watersports, casino, outside bars... There is also a huge gym (and it's free!). It's surrounded by the sea: wherever you are in the Resort, you always have a beautiful view! You can really relax here... But what we really liked is that as soon as you go out of the property, there are plenty of bars and discos to have fun all night... Whatever style of holiday you're in for, you'll be contented. We don't have children but we saw the outside playground of the kids club when you enter the outside pool area... and it seemed like a great one too. About the room, we were really impressed: so much light once again, the beds are so comfortable, the view is breathtaking and they are really large. And we had only a standard room... I'd be curious to see the suites: it must be fantastic. We would like also to take this opportunity to thank all the staff: they are always in a good mood, helpfull and smiling, they make you feel like nothing can go wrong... so if you read this and you are soon going to the Westin in Malta, give our best regards to all of them, especially to the concierge team: an asset to the Hotel. Great People. Great Hotel. Thank you!!! Jan and Marika"

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

So friendly!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"although our trip to the island started off with a glitch as we had a flight delay all was quickly resolved when we walked into the fabulous westin hotel in St. Julian's as we were welcomed by Joseph at front desk who welcomed us with 'welcome to the westin family!' - it felt so right.....our kids were thriled as the hotel has a set of wooden steps setup against the reception desk so that the kids can do their own check in and feel just as important and grown up. the room we had was very spacious and full of light with great sea views of st. julian's bay and we have 2 large american queen sized beds which suited us more than fine as we were travelling with our two kids. the stay was truly wonderful as thanks to the fantastic services of the complimentary westin kids club my wife and I were able to enjoy our evenings out at the hotel restaurants and at the Casino at the hotel. Michael and Martin, the Chef and restuarant managers at quadro (which has outstanding food in a breath taking setting) were stars as they helped me organise a great private and romantic dinner for my wife's 35th birthday. We were also very surprised to find that the hotel has 2 private beach lidos with 2 pools and private access to a beach...one also has a very pretty little sandy beach which our son liam particularly enjoyed. On one event carol our 5 year old had a small incident when she stepped on a sea urchin and pricked her toe. The lifeguards were extremely kind and professional and had the problem resolved in not time.....the wonderful thing about it was that all the hotel staff learnt about the incident and went out of their way to make carol happy again - they even sent baloons and chocolate cookies to the room. St. Julians's is very pretty with some great restaurants in the spinola area. Malta is a total surprise - so small, yet to rich in culture and so much to do.....make sure you visit mdina truly magical!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of June 2006

Perfect holiday!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I've stayed at the westin in malta with my girlfriend for a few days and i must say that i had an excellent stay. the hotel is in a beautiful locatiom, close to the sea and in a town that is so full with nighttime entertainment. it is also very close to the best attractions in malta.
we had a large room with a balcony and amazing sea views. the bed is absolutely amazing! the best bed i've ever slept in! the service and food is also excellent. the staff are all extremely nice and helpful and they do anything to please you, especially the concierge Malcolm who is so funny and helpful. at the end of the holdiay we became firm friends and used to stop by his desk for a chat everytime he was on duty!
the restaurants are also very good. portions are huge and prices really reasonable. the pool area is beautiful and there are two outdoor pools on two different lidos. really spoilt for choice! there is also a gym and indoor pool but we were too busy relaxing to do try out the gym!
Well done to the westin! 10 points!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

Fantastic Resort!!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"my family and i stayed at the Westin in Malta just last week and we returned back so relaxed and happy that we want to go back for more!! it is really an excellent hotel and a lovely location, with the sea all around. The room was amazing! my husband and my two kids shared the same room which had two large double beds and the kids were free of charge! My girl is 7 and the son is 10. the view from the balcony is simply breath-taking and teh staff are all so pleasant and nice that you become firm friends with all of them! they all smile and are very polite and did everything to please us. the kids loved the kids club and they were very well taken care off by the child minders who also organised lovely activities for them. we could relax by the pool while the kids had the time of their lives in the kids club and made lots of friends with other kids.

the food is also extremely good especially at quadro. the service there is certainly more than five star! the breakfast which is buffet at the terrace is so vast and full of different food! we used to spent hours just having breakfastg!
i really recommend the westin. it is amazing and too beautiful!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of June 2006

They Aim to Please

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We have never stayed at a hotel that has worked harder to please the patron. This is a 5-star hotel and while we loved our stay, there were a few things "glitches" that I would not have expected from a 5-star hotel. When we arrived, we were told check-in was at 3pm. It took them until 4pm to get us checked in. Not a big deal, but not what I would have expected. The room we were given was on the 7th floor of the South Tower. The room faced the less scenic side of the hotel, and the service road to the Casino runs along this side of the building. My one suggestion for anyone staying at the Dragonara -- do NOT let them put you in any room that faces the service road. It is noisy in the morning with all the delivery trucks and the view is not nearly as nice. Our first night there was horrible as there was a wedding reception across the service road at the Beduoin Bar that played loud music until after 1am. When I called to asked if I could get another room, the manager told me they were full. The next morning at 8:30am, I asked again for a room change and was accommodated immediately. They brought us a complimentary bottle of wine for our inconvenience. This time we were given an interior room facing the pool with a much better view and much quieter. Joseph was the person at the front desk that worked with me and made sure that I was "happy."

The staff is truly friendly and goes above and beyond any other hotel I've stayed in. When the air conditioner was not working properly, the maintenance chief was there in 5 minutes to fix it. The concierge was wonderful, too. So friendly and helpful and willing to do anything for you.

The hotel is lovely for sure. The location in St. Julian's is perfect. Lots to do and lots of places to eat with easy access to the rest of the island.

When we checked out, there were a couple discrepancies on our bill which they rectifed without question. I told them that I had never stayed at a hotel that worked so hard to make me happy. The staff person's response was, "Madame, that is what we live for.""

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of June 2006

Fantastic Sea Views

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Spent considerable amount of time reviewing all the comments on Trip Advisor on the various hotels in Malta and Gozo. It was so difficult to make a decision since my wife and I wanted a fantastic week in Malta without worries about our stay. Finally chose the Westin and booked the hotel through Starwood's 800 number. Got a tower room at the price of 122 maltese lira or approximately $340 US.

When we got to Malta, we were pleasantly surprised with the location and our room was in the tower with a large balcony facing the sea. The amenities in the room were great, very comfortable beds, and a rather large room. The hotel lobby, the gym, spa, breakfast, and service was good. Overall we were pleased with the stay with the exception of a few things. When we checked in the carpet in our room had been recently steam cleaned so the carpet was still wet. The outdoor pool was not heated. Neither the outdoor nor the indoor jaccuzzi was heated during our entire stay. The one day where there was some sun and we tried to utilize the outdoor pool and lay out, hotel construction staff were repairing various things around the pool and the noise of all their tools and machinery was bothersome.

The positive aspects included its location. The hotel is located within walking distance to a casino and Paceville, where the majority of nightclubs, bars, and restaurants are located. My wife and I are younger with no children so we enjoyed this as we had the opportunity to go out dancing and visit the various bars. My wife booked a massage and she could not stop talking about how it was the best she had ever had. The facilities that included the outdoor& indoor pool and jaccuzzis, tennis courts, and the fantastic gym were all great attributes. I would recommend this hotel to other younger couples or those who want to fully utilize the facilities and have the convenience of clubs, bars, and restaurants nearby. However, if you are older and these types of amenities or conveniences are not that important to you, then I would highly recommend the St. Julian's Hotel. We had dinner there one night at the Meze restaurant and found the hotel service, lobby, and overall location to be fantastic at one third the price of the Westin.

Also, we rented a car and drove around both Malta and Gozo. We had the opportunity to visit Ta Cenc and Kempenski hotels in Gozo. Had coffee at Ta Cenc and lunch at Kempenski. Both are somewhat remotely located with not many options in terms of restaurants or attractions within walking distance. Overall Gozo is much more of a quiet island with not many entertainment options. That is why I believe the Westin was an ideal location for my wife and I. Cities of Valletta and Sliema were just too busy and crowded so St. Julian's was perfect area and the Westin by far the best location and amenities. Only draw back, the Westin did not live up to a five star standard of American hotels where absolutely everything about the hotel would be rated excellent. In other words, I do not believe you get value for $340 US or 122 maltese lira.

Final comment, the concierge George was incredibly helpful in booking dinner, car rental, and extremely knowledgable about anything and everything. Take good care of him and he will bend backwards to get you what you need."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of May 2006

First calss service in a warm and friendly atmosphere

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We have just returned from our fifth visit to the Westin, and, as usual, we had a great time. As we were getting married during this visit, we decided to treat ourselves to one of the luxury suites - and it was absolutely wonderful, particularly as we were able to negotiate a very reasonable sum for the upgrade.

We have stayed at several hotels in Malta (seven in all) over the years, but the Westin is the one we keep coming back to. You have to understand that five star in Malta is not necessarily the same as a five star in, say the United States, but staying at the Westin is still a really top class experience.

In terms of accommodation, the luxury suites are fabulous, but we have also stayed in Royal Beach Club Rooms and Junior Suites. To be honest, I don't think the Junior Suites are worth the extra money, but the Beach Club Rooms are enormous and really well equipped.

The staff are competent and friendly. They make eye contact with you and greet you pleasantly (unlike the staff in another, recently opened, hotel on the island). So many of them took the time to look for us and congratulate us on our marriage that it made us feel real individuals and not just the room number that you sometimes feel in hotels. The young concierge did wonders ranging from making dinner reservations for a lot of people at short notice, through to finding out when the Marriage Registrar was open for us to collect our certificate. Joseph Sammut on Reception was warm and welcoming as always, and did a great job in packaging our wedding cake (and so much of it!) for the flight home.

Match your expectations to the location and you will not be disappointed with the Westin. I have stayed at other hotels in this group throughout Europe and the US, and styles and standards vary considerably (and Malta does not come at the bottom of the list by any means). We were, in fact, very sad when we realised this would be our last stay there as we are buying a house and moving to Malta later this year. But as a sign of the friendliness of the staff, knowing this, they asking us to pop in and say hello from time to time - and we will be sure to do that."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

great kids club

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"The best thing about the Westin for us was the kids club (ours kids are 7 and 5), the staff were extremely friendly and the club was very flexible (not a 2 hour slot between 10-12!) after all a holiday is for parents too. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. We were half board for the first week, breakfast was fine but the dinner was a non-event, and not 5 star - we've eaten better in a 4 star. In my opinion you're better off going b&b and finding a nice restaurant in the evening. No nearby sandy beaches and not much entertainment except Edmund the pianist who was wonderful. If you've never been to Malta there is a bit of sightseeing to do, I would recommend 1 week here."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of April 2006

The luxurous bay suites are wonderful.

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed in a luxury bay suite facing the casino last September and had a wonderful time. The housekeeping was exellent and the staff very helpful and nice.
We had a fully equipped kitchen for four people, but did not use it. Two bathrooms and a lot of space in the livingroom. Of course it was not one of the cheapest suites - but still - we enjoyed our stay.
A bit too far from Valletta, but easy to get into town by bus, and in walkind distance to Spinola Bay which is a very scenic bay with a lot of good restaurants.
No lack of sunbeds by the pool, and easy to get into the ocean if you wanted to have a swim in the Med.
The Quadro Restaurant served exellent food and wine !!"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2006

Hotels near The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta

Top traveller tips for The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta

• Lynzy M by Lynzy M

"I would avoid using their website because it does not at all reflect true information of what the hotel has on offer. "

The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta is also called