Superb Hotel

Reviewed 30th June 2012

"Very helpful staff - my son had hurt his leg just before we arrived, and they offered us a wheelchair for the duration of the stay. Good hotel, yes its large but not impersonal and it doesn't feel like there are so many guests. Previous reviews had suggested the location was an issue because its so close to Paceville - we liked the location because there were facilities outside of the hotel as well as inside. Only negative point was the parking, which seems expensive."

• Travel date: 30th June 2012

Fantastic hotel

Reviewed 12th July 2011

"I have visited the hotel several times over the last few years and love it! The club lounge is fabulous the team there can't do enough for you. It is great to have some pre dinner drinks and watch the world go by at the top of the hotel. Although paceville is next to the hotel you would not know it when in the hotel One of my favourite hotels"

• Travel date: 8th July 2011

Not really a 5 star

Reviewed 3rd August 2009

"Thea hotel isn't really as described in the brochure..they may have a private beach..but it's very small,overcrowded and very dirty..the staff in the hotel was very helpful,any time.The hotel was overbooked with italian teenagers,the result was very much noise(even during the night),sth the staff couldnt control at all.anyone could enter the hotel at night or even use the pool, witohut being controlled by the security.Too bad, because the service was really good(except for the staff working at the beach and by the pool).i've been to many hotels with less stars that were really better.Wouldnt really visit it again..and would never stay in St Julians again..ever!"

• Travel date: 31st July 2009

Best Holiday Ever! The room we were boo...

Reviewed 5th January 2008

"Best Holiday Ever! The room we were booked into was initially a bit disappointing but we were moved after first night. The Hotel staff could not do enough for us. My daughter has a nut allergy and the catering staff were very helpful always offering us an alternative if needed. Had some items on mini bar bill that we had not had but the reception staff just adjusted the bill with no question. The beach is a little small, but the pools in the hotel are lovely but get very busy during August. The area is great if you want everything on your doorstop ideal for teenagers - multiplex cinema very useful at 2pm when it’s good to get out of sun for hour or so. Great shopping complex opposite hotel. Loads of restaurants locally. If you have young children or want a quiet holiday this is not the place for you the north of the island has lovely beaches. Good bus services. We hired a car for a week and travelled up to Mellieha Bay beautiful sandy beaches. Cannot recommend Malta enough - lovely people. "

• Travel date: 5th January 2008

Absolute nightmare! Booked with lastminu...

Reviewed 27th August 2007

"Absolute nightmare! Booked with lastminute.com. They booked us into the wrong hotel in the first place, and then we had to last minute find a hotel. We then booked into intercontinental; they sold us a sea view suite with balcony. Top 3 floors which are supposedly the best. Not for us. First night someone smashed alarms around the hotel 3am had to go to hotel entrance with 2 baby twins in the middle of the night. We were told in the morning sorry and told we could have our room changed, this never happened. The 2nd night we were woken with screaming outside the window, I could not go on to the balcony as there were nightclubs all around the hotel. Great for teenagers wanting to vomit on the street !!Etc but not for a young family. We came home the next day as it was such a nightmare our room was horrible and the noise was terrible. The view was like Beirut! There was building works going on all day also. I didn’t get to see the manager I was told he was in a meeting! Will not be going back!! "

• Travel date: 27th August 2007

One of the best hotels I’ve stayed in....

Reviewed 2nd February 2007

"One of the best hotels I’ve stayed in. I would go back again and again. Staff are so helpful, and breakfast is out of this world. Hotel has its own beach and a number of pools, 1 indoor 1 large out door pool. Very close to bus stops so easy to get around, hotel is also next door to a shopping complex which has a McDonald’s and clothes stores so always something to do."

• Travel date: 2nd February 2007

Intercontinental - a flop of Malta

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"We stayed in Intercontinental Malta for a week in the beginning of August and except the hotel we enjoyed everything in Malta. We got really disappointed by Intercontinental, basically it's a wannabee 5 star hotel with 1 star rooms. We had different problems with our room. Carpet was always heavily wet at the entrance, so it was a great joy to walk through our own stinking marsh every day. Later air condition started to "rain", it was trickling from the top. In the bathroom water temperature was constantly changing from normal to hot, so we had to look everytime having a shower to not get burned. Not to forget our little ants, appearing time to time. Damn, even in a stable we would have got better conditions. On the top of these things we had to report our problems about 4-5 times, then they "managed" to solve something, basically they only stopped the trickling and that's all. And some other minor things: they put the welcome wine in the room without an opener ( we got it 1 day before our last day :) ), the inside swimming pool's water was pretty dirty..etc We asked for another room, but they said to be 100% booked. Most probably all reviewers had no problems with their rooms, we were just "lucky" to get a jolly joker room for 270 EUR a day (it was a club room, nice club, eh ?). I believe they simply have very low or no maintenance in their hotel, so 1 room out of 10 is a latrine. Staff was very kind, nice and understanding about our problems, but in the end they got solved almost nothing. I was really pissed off by this hotel, next time I'd rather set up a hut at St George's bay. I stayed in several 5 star hotels in the World during my business trips, and never had any problems, but this was one was a big flop."

• Travel date: 28th August 2006

Had a great stay at the intercontinental.

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Have just returned from a two week's holiday at the Intercontinental and had a very enjoyable stay. The hotel was extremely comforable and we liked the modern spacious surroundings. Hotel staff were very courteus and helpful. However, we did have a couple of niggles.We hired a car and found that there is nowhere to park on the streets outside or anywhere near the hotel. There is a multistory carpark next door which the hotel tried to charge us for which would have cost arround £70 for two weeks. After words with our travel agent and hotel management they agreed to give us complimentary parking. Our argument was that our travel agent should have warned us about this when we booked our hire car and when you stay at a five star hotel you expect to be able to park your car. Driving in Malta is an intersting experience. The local drivers don't use indicators and they don't bother stopping at junctions they pull out in front with millimeters to spare. The road surfaces are riddled with pot holes and the surfaces are uneven. It is very easy to get lost as the signposting is very poor. Major routes are not indcated at all of the relevant junctions. The other complaint about the hotel is that it advertises that it has a squash court which is the major reason I booked this particular hotel for our 15 year old twins. It failed to mention that it doesn't allow under 16 year olds to use it because their insurance would not cover children. Despite the critisisms we loved the hotel and would stay there again. The interconnecting rooms worked very well for us and the breakfasts were wonderful."

• Travel date: 4th August 2006

Fantastic hotel!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I am a seasoned traveller to Malta, being part Maltese by birth. I travel to the island on average at least once per year and for the last 10 years have tended to stay in hotels rather than make my own arrangements with family or rent apartments. The island has undergone radical change over the past few years and many new (or completely refurbished) hotels have appeared. There is a cluster of 5 star hotels in the St Julian’s area and I have stayed in the Hilton and Dragonara (Westin) recently. Both are great hotels in their own right, but now that I have two children over the age of 2, these resorts insisted that I book 2 rooms for a family of 4, with one child and 1 adult in each. Both also seemed to have an issue with guaranteeing interconnecting rooms, but putting this to one side for a moment, the cost of 2 rooms (each with a supplement as there was only 1 adult) was horrendous. I could have obtained a suite for less! I shopped around and the Intercontinental were fabulous from the start. They were the ONLY company to reply to emails by next working day. They were happy to accommodate all 4 of us in a twin room, promised a free cot and offered a SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper room rate. They were happy to organise an early check-in to coincide with a 9.00am flight and also offered very flexible terms on half board - let them know each morning if required and it was added to the bill for that day. I booked an Executive Club room with panoramic view and stayed for a week at the end of May/beginning of June. The hotel is located in the very centre of the Paceville district, almost directly opposite the bowling alley and the Bay Street shopping centre. There are a considerable number of bars/clubs/discos in the area, which operate right through the night. At weekends, the road outside the hotel is closed to traffic as there are that many people milling about. Knowing this in advance, I was a little concerned that it might be noisy, but the location is very convenient for all of the local attractions. First impressions of the hotel were reasonable, although it lacks the impact of the landscaped gardens at the front of the Dragonara, or the magnificent marina flats by the Hilton. However, once inside, the design of the building is extremely modern, with large open atriums, floating walkways, great walls of glass etc. It feels very spacious, is spotlessly clean and the design is a million miles away from the far more traditional Hilton. The InterContinental’s main garden and landscaped grounds lie in the centre of the development and feature mature palm trees, a cascading river with live turtles and fish and (in summer) an alfresco restaurant. There are modern chrome and glass elevators to all floors, each of which is fitted with a TV, for reasons that escape me entirely. Lobbies and hallways are simple and functional, but fully carpeted and air-conditioned. The hotel's main pool is located on the roof of the front building, above the reception area. The pool is reasonably large and of a lagoon design - it is 1/2 inch deep at one end, getting gradually deeper towards the other. An adult would be able to touch the bottom at all points, so not suitable for diving, but well suited to kids. There is a very large pool terrace, with toilets/changing rooms, palm trees, ample sun loungers and parasols. There is also a pool bar serving drinks, snacks and ice creams. There are views from the pool area over the bay, although you also get to see the roofs of the adjoining buildings, which are flat and a little messy. There is a small bay a hundred yards or so from the Hotel, which has been covered in imported sand - most of the island is rocky and almost all of the sandy beaches are man made. The hotel has about half of the bay to itself, sperated from the remainder by a rope barrier. There is hotel security on duty at all times to keep out the great unwashed. There are also a couple of staff to hand out towels (free) and set up sun loungers and parasols (also free). I suspect the beach gets busy in summer, but at the time I went it was very relaxed with plenty of room. The sand is a little more gritty than a natural sandy beach, but just fine for sandcastles! You do have to walk out of the hotel lobby and down the main road to get to the beach, but it really isn't a big deal. In fact, the beach is probably closer to the accomodation that many of the beaches (usually rocky) used by the other 5 star resorts. There is an indoor pool located adjacent to the gym. This is heated and has changing rooms, but is small in comparison to the pool at the Hilton. However, it was never crowded during my stay, despite a few brief periods of rain and fairly strong winds. Hotel guests have the use of the adjoining gym free of charge. This facility is privately run, but is probably one of the biggest on the island. There are a reasonable range of cardio machines (mostly lower spec'd Life Fitness, but with a few others) including treadmills, x-trainers and cycles. There is a full range of resistance machines and a fairly good free-weight section. Gym staff were happy to spend a few minutes showing me the basics and there are info cards on most stations for general guidance. They have an interesting motorized climbing wall, which can be seen on-line, but I ran out of time before being able to try this. My only gripe was the lack of a water fountain; the gym expect you to buy water from their juice bar, or bring your own. The room I stayed in was well decorated in neutral shades, with twin queen sized beds. The fittings were clean and in good condition. TV worked fine and carried the usual range of local and international stations. It also acts as an internet terminal and billing system. The charges for internet use were (in my opinion) high, but if you have a laptop with you, there is a wired access gizmo in the room, or wireless throughout the hotel. Wireless access is chargeable, but wired access was free and high speed. There are also room safes large enough for a laptop and a generic power cable to suit most laptop power supplies. The Executive Club rooms are on the upper 3 floors at the back of the hotel. From what I can make out, the top (15th) floor is suites, 14th floor double rooms and 13th floor twins. All have amazing balcony views and as they are located well away from both the pool are and the main road outside the hotel, are blissfully quiet. Club rooms also have access to the Club lounge on the 15th floor, with a huge terrace, free full breakfast (buffet style with every possible option) free afternoon tea & pastries and free pre-dinner drinks/canapés. Non alcoholic drinks and beer are limitless and free all day. The relatively small supplement for a Club room is undoubtedly well worth the price and should not be missed. All the usual 5 star equipment is present – iron/board, wardrobes, hotel laundry etc. each room also has a balcony and mine had 2 easy chairs and a small table. There is a minibar, but this does relentlessly bill each time you remove an item for more than 15 seconds. I used mine to store food and drink for my 2 year old, keeping the original stock safe for return. The system did bill me, but reception refunded the charges without question on checking out – they did tell me when checking in that it was ok to remove non perishable items. En-suite bathroom was a good size and had a full shower in addition to a tub, which is a little unusual for Malta. Again they were spotlessly clean and, as one would expect, cleaned each day with new supplies of towels, soap, shampoo etc. We had a few niggles with the room on arrival and were initially shown to a room with a single king sized bed, despite having specifically booked a twin room with a baby cot. This was sorted out with a few minutes. There were a few further issues with maintenance matters – defective lock on balcony door, light bulb blowing and tripping circuit breaker – which were again all fixed within a matter of minutes. I guess we were a little unlucky, as the hotel is generally very well maintained. I am a Chartered Surveyor and notice these things! Even though I didn’t complain formally, I did receive a personal apology from the general manager, who as genuinely pleased to receive constructive feedback. There are a wide range of restaurants offering everything from a simple pasta dish (loved by my kids) to eastern fusion (loved by me). The Eastern breeze restaurant has a children’s menu, making it accessible to families, which is a nice touch and the staff there were some of the most attentive I have seen on the island, without being intrusive. The facilities and rooms offered here are, in my opinion, at least comparable to other 5 star hotels on the island, but what sets this hotel apart from the others is the staff, who were universally friendly, helpful and seemed genuinely concerned to ensure we were all enjoying our stay. 5 star hotels routinely instruct their staff to acknowledge guests when passing in corridors, but staff here went much further, engaging us in meaningful conversation, offering tips on days out and going out of their way to show us everything the hotel had to offer. When walking through the town I happened to pass an off duty receptionist, who took the time to stop and talk to me, offering suggestions on places to visit and eat. There are staff from may different nationalities, speaking most European languages, with all speaking fluent English. The staff made a fuss of my kids, bringing them sweets, offering special breakfasts and generally making them feel at home. This gives the hotel a relaxed, informal atmosphere, with none of the stuffiness I have come across at certain other resorts. The concierge knew his stuff and was very pleased to assist. Check out was straight forward, with no nasty surprises or spurious items. It was also nice (and remember I say this as someone who is part Maltese) to see good security in place and use of facilities limited to guests only. I’m afraid to say that at some other hotels, the locals have out-numbered the guests in the swimming pools on occasion. This was, without doubt, the most enjoyable stay I’ve had on the island. This is a great hotel for families and couples, as well as those wanting a hign quality but relaxed holiday. We are already planning a return trip to the Intercontinental next year."

• Travel date: 16th July 2006

Wonderful, Cannot Understand Other Reviews

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"Last year my husband and I had our first holiday without the kids. As my husband has Maltese relatives, and as it was sometime ago that we visited them we decided to go back to Malta. The holiday was a last minute booking and so we had to take what was available and I can honestly say we were not disappointed. The Intercontinental was very deserving of it 5 star awarding. The buffet breakfast was second to none with a vast variety of food on offer. The staff were very accomodating and curtious and the hotel was very clean. My mother in law, who is Maltese, would certainly be very proud of her people. As we had such a good time last year we are going back this yearand have already booked the Intercontinental, not only for us but for other family members who are returning again."

• Travel date: 11th July 2006

Nice rooms - if you are lucky - but not a five star

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"The Intercontinental in Malta seems to be suffering from plain poor management. Totally inconsistent approaches across the hotel. 1. Different items produced for the bathroom each day. Sometimes no flannels, sometimes a shaving kit, the next day a sewing kit would appear and the shaving kit would disappear. 2. Asked to report if the shower leaks. Report given the shower floods every day - no response so stuck towels and bits of loo paper in the edges to stop the leak. 3. Two ciggie butts lying in the carpetted corridoor for some 24 hours. Told housekeeping at which point one is removed and the other is left. This suggests no one is cleaning the carpets each day. 4. At 10.00 am a pint of beer was left lying by the lift doors in the lobby! This must have been there all night. 5. The swimming pool was dirty and there appeared to be no control over behaviour. Children allowed to jump in on top of swimmers - balls being thrown across swimmers heads and no life guard on duty at all. Further the swimming pool area was cleaned with a power hose at 10.30 in the morning. Not ideal for the sun bathers but hey. 6. The bars and restaurants were never advertised. No special events. No notice of whether they were open or closed and the prices were stupid. 7. A cocktail ordered by the pool should have contained, Amaretto and Vodka but ended up containing Gin, Rum, Vodka, Malibu and a number of other splashes. When asked about the Amaretto the waiter said he could not find it. Clearly could not read as nothing in the drink should have been in it except the Vodka. Malta is fantastic. Valetta and the Silent City amazing. Restaurants in Spinola bay very well run with good food at fair prices. The rooms were good and the pricing was not out of measure but for my money I would probably stay here (discounted prices only) and I would then drink in the badly advertised bar to the right hand side of the front entrance of the hotel as you come out. A fantastic bar with a very wise owner called Adrian who has the best kept wine in town and who can serve cocktails that make the Interconn ashamed. I forget the name but please do go in and visit you will be impressed - better later in the evening than early and few young young people in here."

• Travel date: 8th July 2006

Definately not a five star!!!!

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"The Intercontinental is supposed to be a five star hotel but having stayed at other five star hotels in Malta, this certainly is not worthy to be one of them. The rooms themselves are very good - clean,spacious and nicely furnished but none of them have a particularly nice view. We stayed in one of the junior suites which were lovely and had three balconies, however you would only want to sit out on one of them because the other two had views overlooking the roof of the next door building complete with rubbish and ugly vents. The hotels 'private' beach' consists of an area of imported sand on the edge of the bay which has been cordoned off on one end so as to make it 'private' and a few palm trees and sunbeds have been put on them. This is your private beach!! To get there you have to leave the hotel and walk through a dirty, unpleasant part of Paceville and cross a busy road. Not ideal if you have children or are trying to negotiate a pushchair on the rough pavements. The Bay itself is not pleasant and is more suited to fishing than swimming (obviously the local people use it for this purpose as it is strewn with fishing boats). When we were there, several people had been stung by jelly fish in the water and hundreds of the jelly fish had been washed up on the beach. The service at the hotel also leaves alot to be desired. It seems to cater more for conferences and business groups. One of the restaurants had been closed off and was only available to conference delegates. The indoor pool was very dark and the water quite cold. Overall, this hotel is a very large impressive building, but it has no soul and you do not feel as though you are very welcome. It has a very empty and cold feel about it. If you are looking for a large modern hotel with lots of mod cons, this is OK - but if you are looking for friendly, welcoming staff and a five star service, lovely views looking out over this beautiful island, a pleasant location without tacky shops and bars, this is definately not the hotel for you. We love Malta, but next time we will stay at the Corinthia San Gorg or the Hilton."

• Travel date: 1st July 2006

Hotels near InterContinental Malta

Top traveller tips for InterContinental Malta

• by osborne,staffs

"Ask which side of the hotel your balcony faces."

InterContinental Malta is also called