Perfect Location, Good Price

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We stayed for 4 nights in November. Overall, this is a good place to stay, it is close to the center of St. Julians and we also chose it for its price, the area was very quied till friday night 23:00hrs (nightlife starts in Paceville, get out its fun). The room was very clean, well maintained and had a good size, the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpfull, breakfast was included and okay. The area is surrounded by many bars, and restaurants. The bus stop to Valletta is just 3 min. away (ticket is 0.20 ML per person), you can walk to Spinola Bay in 10 min. to St. Georg’s Bay also in 10 min."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2007

Mostly good...

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Valentina for 8 nights in September. We were pretty happy with the place... it was in a fantastic location. It was just a short walk to Paceville if you want nightlife, a short walk to St Julians Bay where all the restaurants are scattered around the bay which is so beautiful at night, a short walk over the bridge to St Georges Bay where there are also some nice restaurants. For those taking buses I think it would have been pretty convenient. There is also a huge parking lot not far from the hotel for people who rent a car and need to park it overnight, like we did. The area was pretty quiet, but occasionally you could hear people yelling on the streets at early hours of the morning - this only happened once while we were there though. There is also a supermarket about 2 mins away from the hotel which is really handy. The lobby has a really cool, colourful decor. The whole feel of it is very funky. I think one side of the hotel (the side closest to the entrance) has been refurbished and the rooms are really colourful and new-feeling, but the other side feels a lot older and more rundown. So try to stay on the side closest to the main entrance! The breakfast was only okay. We stayed at so many hotels during our trip and they all had breakfast included, so I guess some places put more effort into it than others. For a quick breakfast though it was fine... toast, cereal etc. The rooms were cleaned perfectly each day which was really nice... The only thing that REALLY annoyed us was that we paid for our hotel room in advance and were given a fairly crappy room when we arrived. I guess they just figured it was assured money since we'd paid in advance, which we were really annoyed about. We had a room on the first floor right next to the stairs, where you could hear the reception phone ringing throughout the night, cutlery clanging around etc), which also was two single beds, instead of the double room we had requested. However when we asked to change rooms, the staff were fairly accommodating and we managed to swap rooms after a couple of days. It's just annoying when you look forward to something, book in way in advance, and they just shove you in the crappiest room because they know that they have your money. I just have to mention their restaurant too - the best food we ate in Malta, no doubt! Out of 8 nights there, we ate there 3 times and if we went back i would go there any night I wanted a great meal. We ate at lots of expensive restaurants down around St Julians bay which were just not that great... but the Avenue restaurant always had excellent food, the wine was great etc etc. All in all, it was good value for money - we paid 210 maltese lira for 8 nights and about 10 lira i think for a taxi from the airport to the hotel. The Westin Dragonara and other hotels right nearby looked really gorgeous from the outside, and the lobby was amazing... but of course these places cost a lot more! So if you want to save a bit of money, stay somewhere pretty good, this is the place for you!"

• Travel date: 9th October 2007

great place

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Ive stayed here twice now. Its a lovely hotel. The rooms are spotless, staff good, and you get discount at a lovely restaurant just down the road. I shouldn,t really be telling anyone about this place, cos when I booked at first they never had rooms for first 2 nights, But Rodianne being really good, Emailed me when they had a cancellation, to ask if I wanted the room."

• Travel date: 6th October 2007

smart boutique hotel

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"hi there everyone. we stayed at the valentina for 5 nights end of june 07. the weather was a total opposite of march when we were last in malta. this time instead of rain for 5 days, we had glorious sunshine and temps of up to 39 degrees. my partner even had to run for shade this time..lol.. anyway, back to the hotel. this is a beautiful small hotel with good staff to match. we booked late and ended up in room 204 in the new block which was the biggest room on the floor. the bathroom was big, new and totally adequate for anyones needs. no bath though but a big shower, but no probs for us. next time we use this hotel we would request a room on the front to be able to have a balcony. it would have been perfect to sit chillin between the dead times of 3 til 7 because there is not much open between those times in malta. now to the resort. first of all we LOVE IT AND WE LOVE MALTA. we are frequent visitors and always stay in this area. this time these places and people deserve a mention.. hiccups bar with your host charlie. he is a lovely guy who has a smile even for first time visitors. he even buys you a few beers which is not familiar but a great gesture none the less. next up is the smooth jazz inc bar near the dragonara hotel. this is a more relaxing bar with frequent live music and a very romantic beer garden at the back.. the owners peter and shirley made you feel very welcome and we stood talking to over a few red wines and cocktails about various things. now for the restaurants... we usually visit old haunts like zest and zeris which we did once again and it adds to the feel of the island when they actually recognise you and welcome you back as friends not just customers. this time however we visited the hilton hotel and discovered the quaterdeck bar which is lovely being on a balcony 5 floors up overlooking portomaso marina. and now for the crowning glory of the week, the BLUE ELEPHANT thai restaurant in the hilton. what a fantastic place this is.. personnel service and attention. the food is devine and they take the formality of a nice place away by never leaving you stranded for ages and knowing everything about the food and drink they are serving. the surroundings and smells are to die for. there is koi carp inside a pool and there is not a bad table in there position wise. overall another fantastic time in st julians and the valentina. hope we will be visiting again very soon... paul and dawn. mansfield."

• Travel date: 30th June 2007

Great base for an active trip to Malta

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"I must commend the Hotel Valentina for the superb level of service both my brother and I experienced at the Hotel and their brilliant Avenue Restaurant recently. Our room, like the rest of the hotel was immaculate and spotlessly clean and the staff were all helpful, courteous and very friendly (more than I can say for some of Malta's bus drivers). I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone fed up of dirty hotel pools (the hotel is small and does not have a pool), breakfast queues, and cockroachs in the bathroom (which I experienced during my last stay in Malta). Don't be put of by the hotel's location in the heart of Paceville, it's in a quite street on the doorstep of the awesome Portomaso complex, including the tower and curious funicular lift. There's also an Arkadia supermarket nearby and the bus terminus for Valletta and Mosta is just up the road. Well done Hotel Valentina."

• Travel date: 10th May 2007

Good value, nice location

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"My partner and I enjoyed a five-night stay at The Valentina in the middle of March. We were part of a large wedding party, some of whom were staying at the nearby Westin Dragonara Hotel. Having originally booked to stay there ourselves, we were recommended to stay at the Valentina by the bride and groom who stayed here on an advance visit. We were not disappointed. We had a room in the new wing which was spacious and comfortable. The large king-size bed was comfy and there was a single bed in the room as well. Bathroom was large and clean, although we did find the lack of shelf space a little awkward. My only complaint would be, that as the hotel is tiled throughout with hard floors, others guests could be heard walking around, moving furniture, flushing lavatories, etc. at all times. Occasionally, it was rather noisy inside, but mainly early in the morning or late at night when people were wandering around and using their bathrooms. As mentioned in previous reviews, the breakfast was poor. It is perhaps not to the English taste to eat chicken or ham sandwiches for one's breakfast! However, cereal and toast were on offer as well. Fortunately, we found a marvellous pub/cafe up the road called Huggins n Friends which served a delicious full English breakfast for the princely sum of 99 cents. Nonetheless, the hotel is a great location, with a nearby car park that only charges 1 Lira each time you use it and there were plenty of pubs and restaurants within easy walking distance. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We would recommend it to anyone who wants a decent, comfortable and clean hotel and value-for-money prices. Our five nights cost us £143."

• Travel date: 25th March 2007

Ssshhh! We want to keep this a secret!

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"This hotel is a rare find in Malta and having lived there and been an overseas representative there, I think I'm qualified to make that statement! This hotel is exactly what it looks like on the pictures - a small family run boutique hotel. There are 2 wings to this hotel with the newer one obviously being the more desirable and having only stayed in this wing, I'm unable to comment on the older rooms. However our room was very clean, albeit with a broken shower, which can I add was fixed immediately with a brand new attachment - super! And the general design of the bathroom was clean and modern. We found the way they had placed the furniture in the bedroom a little bizarre as it did not make the most out of the space but we actually rectified that ourselves and moved things around! The balcony was compact and bijou with enough room for 2 chairs. The only thing that lets this hotel down is the breakfast! We thought that there would be an abundance of Maltese bread which is so cheap to buy but instead there was only sliced bread which when toasted is like "Melba Toast"!! Still, this is just a minor niggle and don't let it put you off! The staff are all lovely too, especially Karl in reception who will go out of his way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. This hotel is excellent value for money in the residential area of the busy nightlife district and is surrounded by lovely restaurants, trendy bars and out of ear shot of the clubs! But hey...don't tell anyone...this should be our secret!"

• Travel date: 20th March 2007

Great place to stay

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Valentina at the end of June/2006 for a few days. It is very close to the center and also getting there is easy from Valetta by bus. There is a bus stop right in front of the main street. The hotel itself is just as it seems in the pics. The rooms are clean and well-maintained. Some of the staff are exceptionally kind and helpful. It's clearly cheaper comparing to the others. It basically meets all the expectations you might have from a 3-star hotel. The area is secure and it takes about 15 mins to get to the beach on foot. Even though it is very close to the center, you can manage staying away from the crowd and loudness if you prefer. Not all the rooms have a balcony. And the breakfast service is ok, they don't provide so much of a variety, but it's not bad. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again without any doubt."

• Travel date: 10th January 2007

great find!!!

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"great hotel... In a great part of St Julians without being noisy.. very well priced.. breakfast was great...also the restuarant which is recomended by the hotel is one of the best in the area.. I would advise though do not use the laundry service through the hotel as we recieved a huge shock when we got the bill 32 maltese lira which equates to about $120 austalian dollars....It is an outside laundry service so it is not the hotels fault....we had the same amount done in greece and it only cost $15 australian dollars...be warned!!!"

• Travel date: 25th November 2006

Hidden Gem in St Julians Area

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"In March of 2006 I made a last minute flight booking to Malta, seeing as it had the best 5 day weather forecast in comparison to London. I didn't have any hotel reservations, but armed with my Lonley Planet guide, I managed to navigate my way to St Julians/Paceville by the public bus system. Roaming around the small streets in Paceville, I accidentally fell upon the Hotel Valentina when I was actually looking for a completely different hotel. To my delightful surprise, they were able to accomodate me in their cosy but lovely little boutique inspired hotel. The hotel rooms were nicely appointed and clean, in a great location with friendly and accommodating service. For 12ml per night, it was great value. I felt lucky to have found it. If you like cosy intimate and quiet hotels, then this is the place."

• Travel date: 22nd April 2006

Hotels near Hotel Valentina

Hotel Valentina is also called

• Valentina Hotel
  • valentina hotel saint julians