Good

Awful Hotel

Reviewed Mon 21st of July 2014

"I have been to Malta several times, but this has to be the most awful experience in my entire life! The breakfast gave me food poisoning. This then made me have to eat out every day just so I didn't get a dodgy stomach and then refused to refund the breakfast vouchers. The breakfast was a complete joke the cups had residue inside them and the cutlery was dirty as well as the plates. This hotel is struggling as 99.9% of the hotel is exchange students which didn't have any consideration for anyone apart from themselves as they knock on peoples doors in the early hours of the morning and playing music and getting drunk until the early hours in the corridors. On top of this the pool was constantly crammed with students diving in shouting and splashing and pushing everyone out of the way just to get into it. The rooms were also nothing like the pictures and we also found 5 cockroaches in our apartment yet we were on the 7th floor it was also infested with ants and the hotel room some times smelled of stagnant urine. The pool bar was a complete joke the bar man had no manners never smiled and constantly moaned and was just a **** if you ask me. The reception was another joke! Such as yours faithfully Sandra! This woman has never heard of customer service skills or manners in fact she was probably one of the most rudest people I have ever encountered. For example asking her where the luggage room was, well this was too hard for SANDRA and she didn't acknowledge anything you said! All the staff are just complete jokes including the management! Finally my room then started getting robbed by the cleaner preferably as my partners sisters bikini and other clothing went missing as well as some of my partners Diesel t-shirts were also stolen! We then confronted the management and followed procedure and they told us that they would sort it and then the management was never around or busy when we asked and then was told that it was sorted and the cleaner was dismissed!! Then we saw the cleaner working in the other block! Then the manger was only due on our last day when our Taxi was due when he arrived at the last minute and said "bye".

Malta is an extremely beautiful place and would recommend anyone to go but if you have a brain and read some of these reviews you may not want to give your money to such a dive of a place where you're not wanted and treated like filth! Although I would advise anybody not to stay here and I am not the kind of person to moan about anything but this hotel took the entire biscuit!

p.s

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Overall this might as well be a students hostel otherwise it wouldn't have so many foreign exchange students which shows that the hotel is completely suffering.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2014

maltese magic

Reviewed Thu 2nd of January 2014

"Remember you get what you have paid for but some times you can get a bonus - having visited Malta in 2012 we stayed at the Paradise bay hotel by the Gozo ferry port this was half board for a week and only £65 each ....yes really. Sadly I wanted to by closer to Valletta when we returned in April 2013 and we were drawn to the PLAZA / REGENCY ,we had paid the minimum for a room at half board but ...bonus we were upgraded to a superior with sea view ,it was just newly refitted and the air con system had a leak on it making the ceiling wet in the bathroom , reporting this to staff was easy as no language barriers with our Maltese family ... you will see photos of the ceiling tiles on trip adviser which someone found distasteful as they now have a little mold on them ....really , on the ceiling !. I have just booked again here , great food ,weather,rooms and most of all the staff attentive ,warm and friendly. See you there ! "

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of January 2014

no catering

Reviewed Wed 11th of August 2010

"I swore I would never go on holiday with Thomas Cook again so I booked through Bath Travel. After I paid I found they had booked it through Thomas Cook! When we got there, the Receptionist said 'you booked the no meal option' She was right, the 'Self Catering Apartment was up to Thomas Cook's usual standard ie. no catering. There was no oven or Grill. There was a Microwave but it was complicated with no instructions. No seive for rice, two very large saucepans of about 5Litre size but no small ones, no deep dishes for cereal, no teapot or milk jug, no medium sized spoons. The cutlery was stored in two plastic bins next to the two rings. There was no work surface for preparation, no drainer on sink, no tea towels or washing up clothes or liquid. If you wanted beans on toast there was a toaster but you had to put it elsewhere as there was no where to fit it. That was just about all you could cook with a bit of flair. If you want real meals forget it and as it is expensive to eat out in Malta be prepared to take a lot of money.
In the main room there is Air Conditioning but it is either off or on. If it is on it is not regulated and blasts all the time so you need to wear a blanket over you. We both ended up with colds because of this. Luckily the noise of the Air Conditioning drowns out the noise of all the Apartment doors slamming all through the night as the closers are all mis-adjusted. There are many foreign students that use this Hotel so be prepared for much noise. I wore ear plugs. The floors were mucky at all times so you need to take slippers, the cleaners just move the mess around from day to day. There was no light over the eating area so I couldn't see my beans on toast any way! Forget TV unless you want to watch BBC News all night or True Movies or unless you speak Maltese which even some Maltese people don't. Oh yes, when you wake in the morning you will find the sheets have gone AWOL as the sheets are not long enough for the bed and so move a lot in the night.
The Bathroom Extractor Fan didn't work, same for the light over the wash basin. For some really weird reason there were two showers but don't worry as the head on one of them was blocked any way so don't get too excited.
The Cleansers do clean sort of every day but don't be surprised if they knock on your door at 8am, that is presuming you have managed some sleep by this time. The Reception staff were surley in general and didn't really seem interested in helping it was all a bit too much effort. The Indoor Pool was locked at all times and could not be used and the Roof-top Pool was always crowded. If we wanted to use the Roof-top Pool it was actually quicker to go across the road into the sea as you had to go down seven floors in the lift, along a corridor and then up seven floors in another lift. The lifts were small and very stuffy and made some very strange noises if you got four people in them. The on site Restaurant only serves a set menu so if you don't like their choice for the night it is bad luck.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of July 2010

no catering

Reviewed Thu 12th of August 2010

Would we stay again? I would have to say yes! why? the position is perfect, right on the bus route and with wonderful views from the seaward facing balcony but next time I will have to take even more money. This Hotel is a three star and struggles with this. If it were in a different location no one would go back because it is vastly over priced for the standard. I just wish they had more competition. oh yes, I am never going on holiday with Thomas Cook again!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of July 2010

exellent service, and brilliant food

Reviewed Tue 15th of September 2009

"Hi We Went To The PLAZA For 2 Weeks, Me My Wife And My Mother In Law, And I Cannot Say Enough About The PLAZA, Its Got To Be One Ov The Best Hotels Ive Been To, And Its Not The First Time In MALTA, The Staff Are Exellent, Cant Do Enough For You, ESPECIALLY THE KITCHEN STAFF,,,They Where BRILLIANT,,,The Food Was Brillant And They Have Entertainment On The Roof Most Nights, We All Had A Great Time, I Will Be Going Back To The PLAZA, And I Would Recommend It To Everyone,,,,,10/10 For Service Food, And Being Exellent Hosts What A Laugh We All Had With The KITCHEN STAFF,,BRILLANT,,,,,,Thank You Peter,Doreen And Nina"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of September 2009

Not as expected

Reviewed Tue 15th of September 2009

"Arrived at midday. Asked to sit down until room ready. Waited half hour, asked reception when it would be ready, told 2pm. Why not say so in the first place? Then put in room with NO OUTSIDE WINDOW and a shower hose that did not attach to the wall.Can't believe that rooms like this are allowed. Luckily there were others free, so able to change. Room was small but let light in and had a good shower. Reception staff were very helpful and pleasant and cleaners did a good job. I cannot comment too much about food as I am a fussy eater. But I was very surprised that they would not even give customers water with their evening meal. We had to pay 1.6 euros for a 500ml bottle. Evening meals gave a reasonable choice incl. a great roast beef dinner but two poor fish choices, bony or tasteless.
As for breakfast, they can't think this very important. Very small plates, hot food had either sausage or bacon on alternate days but never both. Cold meat was the same one type every day except one. They seem to be cutting costs where possible, but I think they go too far. Peppi's across the road gave good food and cheapish drink if you could did not mind the slow service.Another we tried( I will not name) but we walked out because they just let us sit there although not busy. Would return to the area but would not choose this hotel again."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of September 2009

excellent

Reviewed Wed 9th of September 2009

"we were ther for 5weeks,and we enjoyed every second that we stayed.The staff were always helpful and friendly.All the girls at the front desk were fantastic and their manager Silvana needs to be commended the way she organises everything and her staff.COULD NOT RECOMMEND THE PLAZA ENOUGH,AND I COULD NOT PICK A BETTER POSITION.I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO BOOK THERE AGAIN.GREAT VALUE."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of September 2009

I wasn't going to bother posting a revie...

Reviewed Tue 7th of October 2008

"I wasn't going to bother posting a review regarding my recent stay at the Plaza, as I didn't really have any issues with the hotel. It's in a convenient location, the breakfast was adequate, the pool and terrace was OK, a little cramped when busy and if I wanted to use any other facilities they were there if needed. Coffee shop on ground floor is excellent by the way.

The reason for this review is because when I looked on the hotel website, it gave various options for the type of rooms available and the type of view that came with that room. What their website doesn't tell you is that if you go as a single traveller, you will be put in a room that I can only describe as a large cupboard with a bed and furniture in it. There is a window but it serves no purpose as there is no view from it other than 4 internal walls, and the base of the floor above. My booking was described as an inland view, which I assumed would mean a view of the street or side view, which wouldn't have bothered me. Other single people I spoke to had been allocated similar rooms, and I don't see why solo travellers should be penalised in this way.

I did manage to secure a change of room through the rep (the hotel reception were less than helpful when I approached them directly), otherwise I feel my holiday would have been spoiled."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of October 2008

We have just come back from the Plaza at...

Reviewed Wed 1st of October 2008

"We have just come back from the Plaza at Sliema, never again! The staff were friendly and helpful- they are the only good points. Where to start, 3 lifts? 2 from pre world war 1, size of a red phone kiosk, 1 really modern which worked for one afternoon only. The restaurant was on the 6th floor so up to 15 mins wait for a lift, when it did arrive you walked into a restaurant serving area which was very small indeed. The choice of hot breakfast was very limited, eggs, fried bread, cold beans and one day warm sausage the next bacon. The rooftop bar, pool and entertainment(!!!!) were only accessible by leaving the Plaza going next door to the sister hotel and using their lifts (which worked) and going over link walkway back to the Plaza. Although the room looked OK upon arrival the toilet/bathroom was not cleaned very well, and the floors were lightly dusted moving the fluff from one end to the other. We had cigarette buts on our balcony and we don't smoke, The loo roll must have been on ration and was very very thin, which matched the towels.It is not mentioned in brochures that there are steep steps leading up to both the Plaza and the sister hotel, which is not good for anyone with walking difficulties. This part of the resort has beautiful scenery but not tourist shops, cafes etc., quite a walking distance to the centre or St Julians."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

Had a lovely time everything was 1st cla...

Reviewed Fri 12th of September 2008

"Had a lovely time everything was 1st class
Took my eight year old grandaughter who really enjoyed herself especially
rooftop pool .
Hotel near the beach and shops.
Would not hesitate to book again"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2008

flight delayed so got to hotel late, mix...

Good
Reviewed Thu 7th of August 2008

"flight delayed so got to hotel late, mix up with room (someone with the same name), next day within 1 hour sorted. I would recomend to up grade to supervior sea view. room lovely, great views. Food alright, i was worried about the pool on the roof, but it was lovely and very clean, checked each day by porter. bus stops right outside hotel and about 30 mins walk around bay to slimea harbour and shops. staff very friendly. great holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2008

Basic hotel, could do with updating, ver...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of July 2008

"Basic hotel, could do with updating, very noisy, road noise nearly 24/7, very small pool area, freindly staff, not much to do in this part of Sliema, v.poor choice of resteraunts so wouldn't advise b&b or self catering in this area"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of July 2008

Hotels near The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels

Top traveller tips for The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels

• SAM ZEAFA by SAM ZEAFA

"DON'T BOTHER TO LOOK ANYWHERE ELSE "

• SAM ZEAFA by SAM ZEAFA

"BARRACUDA and PICCOLO PADRE. JUST BEING AT THE SLIEMA FRONT,JUST STROLL FOR MILES. "

• gary13 by gary13

"Peppi's restaurant . Buses to anywhere. "

• peterjohnson by peterjohnson

"lovely people lovely place,,,,,,good shopping "

• peterjohnson by peterjohnson

"blue lagoon,,,,medatarinneo, the food in the plaza is exellent,,,,,,, "

• Kim by Kim

"This is not Self Catering "

• Kim by Kim

"This is not Self Catering "

• Darren D by Darren D

"BOOK ELESWHERE, WATCH THE HOUSE KEEPERS - BOOK ROOM ONLY AND EAT OUT!!!!!!! "

The Plaza & Plaza Regency Hotels is also called