This hotel is now closed.

New Tower Palace Hotel

Tower Road , SLM 12 , Sliema , Malta , Europe

Hotels near New Tower Palace Hotel

Good

Bad hotel, bad service

Reviewed Sun 1st of July 2012

"I was with my wife from 26 to 30 June 2012
Air condition works only from 18:00 and very week.
They explained - We are not operating the air condition during the day because the cleaners are leaving the doors open.
Internet works only in some rooms and cost a lot.
The hotel is dirty! Smell bad.
Shlomo"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2012

Don't bother unless they read reviews and act on them

Reviewed Mon 8th of August 2011

"Generally dirty and not cleaned well. Holes in curtains, bedspreads & towels, which were often grey. Stained chair covers and broken balcony furniture. Air conditioning inefficient & street view room was extremely noisy almost all night allowing for little sleep. Glass pieces, dirt & dust found behind the door & along skirting boards where the room had not been cleaned well. Insufficient pillows (3 for 2 people). Bath uneven & each time a shower was taken we had a paddling pool at one end of the bathroom. No bath mat provided during whole stay. Unacceptable charges made for use of television & for tea facilities which should have all been standard provisions. No fridge in room - just an empty dusty dirty housing for it. Breakfast was unexciting & had to pay extra for anything cooked. Unfortunate to have stayed there when it was being used as a Youth Hostel for students learning English - what a lot of rude youngsters! No respect at all for fellow guests. Location however is good and the waiting staff & the night duty receptionist were friendly & helpful. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for the day receptionists who were quite abrupt at times. I could go on but will the management take any notice???"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of August 2011

Budget hotel but relatively clean and reasonable-only stayed one night due to delayed flight

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed here for one night as our flight was delayed.
We were looking for a budget hotel just so we had somewhere to sleep.
The hotel was ok, relatively clean, and the staff were helpful.

Our room looked out onto a road so it didnt have a good view although there are rooms with bay views. The room was clean but we were only given one set of towels.
To use the TV you needed a remote as the buttons to turn it on had been glued down. Remotes were available from reception and usually required a deposit. (although we were given the remote for the night as we were only staying one night).

The hotel was in a good area looking out over the promenade in sliema. there were quite a few bars and restaurants nearby but the hotel was quiet in the evenings. There is also quiet a few shops and plenty of local buses into valletta.

Breakfast included bread, chese, cold meat and cereal no hot food provided, expect toast (which you had to ask soimebody to cook for you). A cooked breakfast could be ordered for around 5 euros.

I would only recommend this hotel for people looking to stay on a budget holiday"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of February 2009

Rip Off City. Watch Out For The Restaurant Thieves!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"The restaurant at this hotel is a blatant rip-off and is stealing from the clients. I dined here in June 2008 ordering a bottle of wine from the menu and notating the price. When the check came the price was FOUR TIMES HIGHER than the listed menu price. I complained to the waiter and said I would not pay the overcharged amount and was told it was a misprint and I would have to pay for their blatant mistake. As I refused to pay the incorrect amount but did offer to pay the listed price on the menu, the waiter threatened to call the police! I have NEVER IN ALL MY LIFE IN ALL MY TRAVELS been treated and so obviously ripped off and stolen from fraudently by a restaurant as I was at the New Tower Palace. I advise all to stay away from this hotel (note the horrible reviews) and the thieving restaurant. Food was disgusting as well."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

Give this one a miss

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"When I arrived at the hotel there was no-one on reception after wandering around for a while I called into the adjoining cafe to ask. The person who arrived was the Manager who was doubling up as a waiter. I was given my key and told where to go. It seemed a very nice room , twin beds single occupancy.

The evening meal seemed to me to be warmed up, the vegetables were obviously frozen and very meagre portions. Breakfast was 3 different types of processed meat, processed cheese, 3 or 4 different breads. tinned fruit and yoghurt. there were also some fresh oranges cut up in a dish. You could also ask for toast if you wanted some. If you wanted an English breakfast you paid extra for it. This is my 5th visit to Malta and the first time I have not had a choice of breakfast as standard. The two waitresses seemed to be run off their feet, they never stopped. I just hope they have more staff in the summer if they get busy.

On about the 4th day I noticed when I emptied the wash-hand basin my feet got wet, I discovered the 2 pipes from basin to waste did not meet. Reception said they would send some one up to see to it, They did.....the Manager....who doubled up as the plumber, he fixed the pipe but it went again the following day, I just made sure the pipes were sitting on top of each other after that. I also discovered the Chef doubled up as the Handy-man.

About the beginning of the second week whilst having breakfast a large white van drew up at the side door and delivered,,,,,,Meals on wheels.....my suspicions of frozen meals seemed to be true.

The last week of my holiday the Irish Youth football team arrived.I have no complaints about them they kept them-selves to them-selves, it was the hotel that was the trouble. they altered all the residents meal times. for the convienience of the team, with not even an explanation or apology.

Were there any good points for this hotel?

Gallons of hot water day and night
Clean towels daily.
Clean sheets almost daily.
Friendly staff.

Would I recommend this hotel ? No way.

I cannot see how this hotel is a three star. As I said earlier this was my 5th visit to Malta and whilst it is not the worst hotel it was very near to it."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of April 2008

So, so bad ...

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I had to write this review because I have never been in wors hotel in my life. I have no idea where to start... maybe with the owner or boss, I dont know exactly what that lady presents, but she was more like a slave owner. She was in charge that no guest gets some good or extra service. I heard she was sicilian.

When we came we had to pay for the TV, referigiator, radio, safe, receptionist tel. calls, the food was very, very bad quality, totally not eatable...The glasses and plates were dirty, such as table in very small dining room. One waiter did not want to give my little brother a plate for melting ice cream because we did not buy it in a hotel where we had a drink!

At the end when we were paying our bill with euros, the receptionist gave us a change in maltese liras, where the hotel counts 8 EUR equals 0.32 maltese pennies!!!!!!! Can you imagine this?!

Overall, Malta was OK country and it fullfilled our expectations but this hotel, I can not describe everything that we have survived there..."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2007

Excellent location with some problems

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I stayed here for a week as part of a package tour October 2006.
Location: excellent for me, at the sea front but with walking distance to Sliema harbour/center. LOTS of buses stop near the hotel. Great swimming in the sea right across the street if you don't need a sandy beach.
Clean rooms, shower room/toilet worked fine. all rooms have balconies. Elevator a bit shaky but did work.
TV in room has to be paid for extra, about 7 ML one week for the remote, and the same for water cooking equipment ( ok there were tea bags and such things included).
Breakfast served as buffet but a simple one.
Top floor pool was closed from early evenings.
Air condition did not work, it made noise but did not make cool air. I told the staff twice but nothing happened, so I had to let the mosquitos in at night when I simply had to open the windows for some air to be able to sleep.
I did not use the bar or restaurant and did not need any more help from staff than told above so can't tell about service or helpfulness.

With some hesitation I can say this is a good budget choice if you are willing to pay extra for about everything besides room and breakfast AND can manage without the air condition."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of March 2007

Christmas in Sliema

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I found this hotel through the Valetta tourist office.

Reception was excellent, very helpful and managed to get me into a good room with an excellent view. The room was generally OK but the maintenance was very poor. Light bulbs need changing, a degree in electrics to get the bathroom lights to work, door falling off the fridge which never worked, air con very noisy, TV with the most boring English programmes but Italian TV unbelievable to see the Christmas dancing contests was amazing!

Bar - Excellent service from the lady (Great Coffee, beautiful smile) - rubbish from the guy.

Restaurant excellent service - rubbish A la carte chef beware if you order fish its only half cooked. Chips with everything. Nice wine

Breakfast - the worst orange juice - its orange squash The coffee is horrible and always a milk shortage. Usually very dark - electricity must be expensive in Malta.

Internet very slow and charged in 15 minute blocks so don’t do anything complicated.

All in All OK but with a little bit of effort could be a goldmine. Just improve the quality."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of January 2007

Not up to 3* standard

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"This hotel looked good from the outside and when we entered reception it seemed very pleasant. We had a room with a sea view, which was lovely, unfortunately, that was the only good thing about the hotel.

The room was grubby, the bathroom was filthy. You had to pay extra for absolutely everything, tv, room service, tea/coffee making facilities in the room, internet access. We found the staff offhand, and frankly it seemed that they could not be bothered. The loud sighing from the daytime receptionist when approached by anyone for information was frankly rude.

We did not enjoy our stay in the New Tower Palace, Malta one bit. The lift was scary... the floor was bowed inside, and it stopped and then dropped a few inches when you reached your floor. I found it particularly nerve wracking, but as I am disabled I could not climb the stairs.

Room service stopped at 11pm each night. On one night, following a busy day, my partner called for 2 sandwiches & 2 coffees at 10.15pm. He was told that the service was unavailable. On pointing out that the hotel specified it was until 11pm, he was told he could come down and collect something himself!!

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We only had a 3 day booking - there is no way we would have stayed there if it had been for any longer!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of December 2006

Yes -- by Montenegran standards

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"First thing about Malta one should consider a hotel, and in my case New Tower Palace in Sliema presented a controversy. «We’re so small and independent, have a heart», its coed styled lady receptionist implored in her impeccably Oxfordian English. The place’s bad points: at +30 C, air conditioner next to none (which is especially hard on the glands having to meet with lotta slush gulped down daily), dinner dishes semi-prepared outside and not particularly appetizing (not hopeless either), no animation nor dancefloor… well that’s it Good points: nice continental breakfast and invariably amicable service (down to taking trivial order against a menu card and fetching a Tawny Port to save you walking up to the bar), the stately (albeit rubbed) structure and decor to what glory was «inaugurated by Prime Minister», the pop establishment background repertoire oozing from your bed and rooftop pool speakers (yep!), the exactly middle-of-the road location (silencer-defeated trucks at 6 a.m., bad-bad point!) which is terrific to take panorama pics and walk the embankment any direction (not to forget, make love!) with no disco blasting nor crowd yelling about, the family hotel (not the stable) atmosphere, the interesting stone-bed berths opposite, the fantastic garment shop (discounted to US$6,00 per decent hi-heels and succulent minis!) and wine cellar (!!!) next door."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2005

Sadly, an inadequate hotel

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"SUNSPOT TOURS -- POOR RATING NEW TOWER PALACE HOTEL, MALTA -- POOR RATING CALYPSO HOTEL, GOZO -- OUTSTANDING, UNBEATABLE RATING!
23 March 2005
((((((This was sent to Sunspot Tours on 16 and 9 March. Neither time did they respond. So it appears they don't care about customer feedback))))))

We recently returned from Malta-Gozo, patronising Sunspot Tours in Kent (Mercury Direct). We're very dissatisfied.

We would have liked the van driver transporting us from the airport to wait, and make sure we got into the locked hotel door at 0200, rather than just driving away immediately.

The representative on Malta was offhand, casual, more interested in selling a tour and cashing money. She had an inadequate and erroneous grasp of local knowledge -- or simply could not be bothered to be accurate.

The New Tower Palace Hotel (Sleima), 7 nights: There were some very nice staff, but the management was uncaring, disregarding our plea about faulty heating; a sympathetic receptionist finally moved us (later, another staff said that they were having heating problems on the entire floor – in the worst winter there in 42 years .)

The catering was extremely unsatisfactory. Breakfasts were the same, small selection, only-continental every day. The brochure did not prepare us for there being absolutely no cooked items, not even hard boiled eggs as in some buffets! That seems misleading advertising. The dinners were of child proportions with the same frozen peas-carrots 5 of 7 meals. We joined others counting the number of chips given. I got 5. Once I got one sprout. A main course of fish would measure about 3 inches. Our last supper of beef curry was on a bed of half cooked rice, with 4 - 5 thumbsized bits of gristly meat. Oh, the receptionist said, "just ask for more". Really? Would you expect to have to, in a real restaurant -- why does the patron have to be embarrased to ask for an adult portion, to be overheard in a very small dining area that was truly packed cheek-to-jowl. Isn't that the height of poor customer relations? And the staff had their serving up area immediately next to guests' tables, with dishes being washed in an immediate door-less side room. The cook would come out and gossip -- never smiling at or greeting the diners, but just to gossip with staff for long periods! So amateurish. And to boot, there were signs saying outside food and drink were forbidden. The "lounge" was smaller than the small hotel rooms, honestly! The TV had no remote control. As I say, most staff were very nice, but the hotel needs an infusion of professionalism.

Value for money: 2 out of 10.

The rep on Gozo also gave us erroneous information, and tried to deny that we were entitled to the expenses-only hire car in our package deal.

The Calypso Hotel (Marsalforn) was Outstanding, first rate! Excellent staff -- reception, maintainance, wait, and bar -- too numerous to name; personable manager Mr Muscat; highest quality accommodation; and the best food and drink in dining room and coffee bar. We cannot compliment the Calypso enough, and will return often.

Suggest you try Malta Direct, or Bellair Holidays. They received good reports from those we spoke to."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2005

Hotels near New Tower Palace Hotel

Top traveller tips for New Tower Palace Hotel

• sstern by sstern

"Check the bad, aircondition and internet befor getting the room "

New Tower Palace Hotel is also called