This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Imperial Hotel

Lobby at the Imperial Hotel

FAULTY TOWERS IN DISGUISE

Reviewed 3rd December 2014

"Very run down hotel.dirty tables at breakfast,stale cakes,terrible bacon etc....room was on a par with the Psyco film,bathtub was small, be prepared to have your knees touching your chin if you use it...other reviews i have seen say it is a charming hotel....unfortunately i was not charmed in fact I couldn't,get out of the place quick enough.....look around in the restaurant and you will find serious patches of grease and dirt...this is the worst hotel i have visited in Malta and for the price a complete con.....old world charm? more like faulty towers."

• Travel date: 3rd December 2014

A holiday to make you smile.

Reviewed 7th October 2011

"What a treat to stay somewhere with old world grandeur and staff who obviously enjoyed both their workplace and their jobs! Everyone, without exception, was friendly and as helpful as possible. We upgraded to a room with a small balcony which was very spacious and was cleaned daily with fresh bedding & towels; tea,coffee,creamer & sugar replenished daily too. A hairdrier can be obtained from reception(refundable deposit). The swimming pool was a must for cooling off!(Towels available from snack bar.) The fruit shop on the corner sold 2litre bottles of frozen water for 80cents - great! We would recommend both the Serafino and the Ta' Kolina restaurants for delicious food in lovely surroundings. Also recommend Williams garage for prompt efficient airport/hotel transfers. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay; liked the location - easy access both ways down to Sliema; & hope to visit again. "

• Travel date: 7th October 2011

Nice simple room overlooking the quiet s...

Reviewed 15th February 2008

"Nice simple room overlooking the quiet street at the side of the hotel. Varied menue and excelent service in the dining room. Good local wine at a fair price. We will be going back again in 2008. "

• Travel date: 15th February 2008

I found that this hotel exceeded my expe...

Reviewed 14th February 2006

"I found that this hotel exceeded my expectations. Every aspect was more than satisfactory and the building itself is a gem. It’s location on a hill could be a problem for the unfit, although there is a bus stop outside the hotel with a half hourly service to Valletta. Children would probably not be happy here. Staff were friendly, rooms large (but bathroom small) food good (a cooked breakfast is an option) and there was a pleasant garden. The dining room would do credit to a 4* place. Rooms do not have an open view due to the town location. For the right clientele this is a fine choice. I thoroughly recommend it."

• Travel date: 14th February 2006

Special Christmas at the Imperial

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"This was our first visit to Malta and, based on our experience at the Imperial will not be our last! We found the accommodation extremely comfortable, clean and well within our expectations. The hotel has a unique charm and the staff are friendly courteous and helpful at all times. We stayed on a half board basis and found the meals varied and always enjoyable. Breakfast is buffet style with ample choice for most tastes. Dinner offered a wide selection each evening catering for all tastes - although more fresh vegetables would be appreciated. If you have a specific requirement - ask! - the staff and management are more than willing to oblige. In particular, we found the management, Joseph and Keith extremely helpful, as are any of the staff - housekeeping, bar-restaurant and reception alike. We have seen the 'dilapidated' review and whilst they are entitled to their opinion, we are saddened that the style of the hotel and what it can offer has not been appreciated but has been clouded by the desire for a 'Blackpool' experience. Rest assured - we shall return!"

• Travel date: 31st December 2005

Love Malta, Love the Imperial Hotel Sliema

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"We stayed at the Imperial Hotel in Sliema on Business for one month. I found the hotel very comfortable and clean and yes the rooms are quite basic, but are you traveling to malta to stay in a hotel room the whole time? I should think not! The Staff are very friendly and will do anything to make your stay a good one. The hotel manager is extremly friendly and helpful. Yes, the hill is steep but not overly and you do get used to it. I was very fit by the time i left Malta. I fell in love with Malta and have been back on a number of occasions. I am visiting my beloved Malta in January and Yes I will be staying at the Imperial Hotel Sliema."

• Travel date: 28th December 2005

Resided at the Imperial 18th to 25 Octob...

Reviewed 4th December 2005

"Resided at the Imperial 18th to 25 October 2005, could not fault it, Beautiful old building in the quiet part of Sliema, if you want peace this is your place. Very good obliging staff. Rooms were clean and fresh towels every day, cleaning staff very friendly also. But would advise if visiting Malta in October to bring some sort of Mosquito deterrent. Found the food adequate and well cooked and menu changed every day, think it is ideal for British tourists, only a continental breakfast was served but this I found fine, with cereals, fresh meats and cheeses and scrambled eggs, I did hear a full English was available at an extra charge but didn't see anyone take up this offer. Swimming pool and garden area was very quiet and relaxing, not the place for noisy kids. Bar area was fine with steady entertainment most nights, also we felt completely safe when out at Sliema and St. Julian's waterfront after dark, (very nice stroll from the hotel). Transport from the Sliema bus station was fine to most parts of the Island and about 10 minutes to Valletta, they seemed to run every few minutes, if you are in Malta for a week or more get a 5 day or 7 day ticket which allows travel anywhere on Malta for about £7 unlimited. I would definitely stop again at the Imperial and look forward to the next time (Aged 58,slight hill no problem)."

• Travel date: 4th December 2005

dilapidated ??? are these guys for real?

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"I've just read the review entitled 'dilapidated'. Just a remark..... are these idiots for real? Lucky Malta for not having to put up with such negative, pathetic, chip-loving and presumably unfit specimens again. We stayed in this hotel in Dec 2000 and had a great time with the staff who are friendly, down-to-earth and unpretentious. Shame we can't say the same about all the hotel's guests. a piece of advice to the moaners....do everyone a favour and stay at home with your chip pan!"

• Travel date: 4th November 2005

Very Good

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"Resided at the Imperial 18th to 25 October 2005, could not fault it, Beautiful old building in the quiet part of Sliema, if you want peace this is your place. Very good obliging staff. Rooms were clean and fresh towels every day, cleaning staff very friendly also.But would advise if visiting Malta in October to bring some sort of Mosquito deterrent. Found the food adequate and well cooked and menu changed every day, think it is ideal for British tourists,only a continental breakfast was served but this I found fine, with cereals, fresh meats and cheeses and scrambled eggs, I did hear a full English was available at an extra charge but didn't see anyone take up this offer. Swimming pool and garden area was very quiet and relaxing, not the place for noisy kids. Bar area was fine with steady entertainment most nights, also we felt completely safe when out at Sliema and St. Julian's waterfront after dark, (very nice stroll from the hotel). Transport from the Sliema bus station was fine to most parts of the Island and about 10 minutes to Valletta, they seemed to run every few minutes, if you are in Malta for a week or more get a 5 day or 7 day ticket which allows travel anywhere on Malta for about £7 unlimited. I would definitely stop again at the Imperial and look forward to the next time (Aged 58,slight hill no problem)"

• Travel date: 4th November 2005

Very noisy

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We have just returned from our trip to Malta, and unfortunately we spent 4 nights at the Imperial. The hotel is very noisy, we were woken up several times each night because there is a steady come and go. The breakfast is not great and the stuff at the reception not very friendly. The rooms are big but the furniture and the bathroom are in a 60s or 70s look, maybe to be in harmony with the mainly old people staying there."

• Travel date: 11th October 2005

no english breakfast at the Imperial

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I have recently returned from 10 days in the Imperial Hotel, Sliema. My wife and I wanted a small quiet hotel and that is exactly what we got! The hotel, to put it politely, is somewhat "faded". It is after all a very old building. We found the staff to be pleasant and very helpful. The breakfast left a lot to be desired as they appear to cater solely for European tourists. You could get eggs and bacon, but you had to pay extra for it! The rooms were very basic and being on the top floor meant that the water pressure in the shower was very low. The rooms were very clean if lacking basics, a fridge was available but at extra cost. The hotel is located off a narrow road in Sliema and the only way to get to it is uphill, OK for youngsters but I would say quite a challenge for elderly guests. The pool area is quite rundown and could use some renovation, the water however was very clean, the only showers are in the nearby toilets but again they were very clean. It is a noisy hotel in some ways as there are no carpets in the corridors to deaden the arrival of new guests in the middle of the night. Entertainment is aimed at the more "elderly" guests and it is definately not a hotel to take young children and teenagers. A very basic but clean hotel!"

• Travel date: 19th September 2005

Basic, but relaxing and friendly.

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"My Fiancee and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Imperial. We had an fantastic time. I'd read all the reviews on this site and was quite apprehensive about going, but once we'd arrived I was more than happy. The hotel has been in use for over 140 years and as such is NOT a kids or youger persons hotel. It is quiet and peaceful and for those seeking a relaxing and "Maltese" holiday. Someone has written that there is no English Breakfast or chips!! In case you hadn't noticed, this is not England! If you want that go to Blackpool. Breakfast is continental and Dinner is 3 courses. We stayed 1/2 board and found that both were more than enough and there was variety of choice at both meal times. The rooms were basic, but there was a TV with English Channels, that should keep the chips and English Breakfast hunters happy!, and Air conditioning, which we did leave on at night and sleep fitfully. The hill is not that bad, and you do get used to it, remember we do have hills in the UK. Joking aside, you do have to be of a certain level of fitness to get about in Malta there is a lot of hills/slopes. The hotel is in a great location to visit the local shops and bars/restaurants. Its a stones throw to the ferry to Valletta and 5 mins from all the Islands bus routes. To summarise, its a very friendly hotel, that is basic, but value for money. The only thing that let us down was Thomas Cook, (they didn't pick us up for our return flight to the UK, we had to use a very cheap and friendly Maltese Taxi Driver!) The hotel staff bent over backwards to help us get to the airport."

• Travel date: 17th September 2005

Hotels near Imperial Hotel

Top traveller tips for Imperial Hotel

• by R&J

"Remember this is 3* not 5* accommodation."

Imperial Hotel is also called