Fortina Spa Resort

Tigne Seafront, Sliema, Island of Malta SLM 3012 Malta

Wonderful hotel and holiday

Good

"To any of you out there that were put off like us from the bad reviews on this site! IGNORE THEM. Like someone else said - I think they may have been mixed up with another hotel, or they are just purely borne whingers! To be honest we were having very mixed feelings about our stay at the Fortina so I write now to put all your minds at rest. We were a party of 7 incl a 3 year old. We had deluxe rooms over looking the gardens, beautiful. Rooms were clean, nicely decorated, nice bathroom, stocked mini bar that was replenished. Plenty of room, air con and lovely view from balcony. Didn't even notice the building works, ok the site next door wasn' t the prettiest, but it didn't bother us, plus we all said ..... what restaurant in the world had such a wonderful view as the buffet restaurant looking out across the sea to Valletta. Food was brilliant - not so sure about the Italian as you could only get pizza, but the Thai was great. Did not have a problem with the lifts - there are 8 in the hotel altogether - you expect to wait for a few minutes sometimes. Reception and all staff were very pleasant. You do get hasstled outside the dining room a little bit to go on tours of the new spa rooms, they do not give up!
All in all we had a totally wonderful holiday - perhaps a shame the children are not allowed in the tropical gardens but can understand it. Enjoy your holiday as we certainly did. Do not hire a car - parking is great outside the hotel but Sliema is a nightmare to get in and out! Buses are more than adequate. Thanks Fortina!"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2005

Absolute Indulgence in the Med

"What a break, it was my wife's birthday and i felt inclined to give her a break with a differnece.

We had fabulous Tower rooms interconnecting as we took our two children but still had some space. The restaurants were too nice, the beauty treatments my wife had made her feel a million dollars. I was more than happy with the massages.

There were festas going on also but the pinacle for my daughter was a trip organised to swim with the Dolphins! Dolphins in the med can you believe it. I couldnt resist the urge to have a go too.. Fantastic!!!

We were reluctant to go home but hey thats the beauty of being under 3 hours way, we are going back in two weeks for a long weekend."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2005

my sanctuary

"On the 6th. of June I returned from my seventh delightful escape to the Fortina Spa. As ever, the staff, in the restaurants, spa, gym - in fact, everywhere - were friendly, couteous and unfailingly helpful. The Spa, which has an unbelievable range of treatments, most of which I've sampled, left me totally pampered, rejuvenated and relaxed.
The spa room with hot-tub on the balcony (!) was so luxurious that I could not recommend it enough, and definitely not to be missed.
It should come as no surprise that I have already booked to return for yet another breathtaking experience at the end of the month!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2005

Mass Hypnosis

"If you want to hoilday on a building site, go to the Fortina Spa, if you want to pay 4/5 star prices but stay in a 3 star hotel go to the Fortina Spa, if you want to be served by at best indifferent staff and at worst surly staff go to the fortina spa. There is no doubt the spa roooms are exceptional as are the pool rooms, by and large the food is excellent especially the Japanese restaurant, but this is not a relaxing break with internal building work underway and external work with heavy plant and equipmwnt starting up at 7.00am. The public areas are tired and scruffy and need a serious update, heavy pressure from the time share team.

If you could move the good bits to another hotel with better staff and more polished surrondings it would be a winner"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2005

Don't waste your money

"I couldn't agree anymore with some of the letters other people have sent. We went to the Fortina for our 3rd wedding anniversary, booked through Mercury Direct. The whole experience was a huge disappointment and disaster.

It took us three hours to get into our room, we had paid extra for a deluxe jacuzzi suite for the occasion, the first two rooms they offered us were just tiny standard rooms. In all the years I’ve been travelling I never had to complain to get what I had already paid for! The girls at reception although they were trying their best didn’t have a clue of what was going on, we went from room to room for three hours until we ended up in the one that we thought it would be ‘the best we could get’. Nothing deluxe about it, we couldn't even use the jacuzzi, the jets were so dirty that the water was turning brown!!

There was building going on everywhere you looked. The pool at the back wasn’t open to the public, the children’s pool at the front was being repaired and painted. Everyday there would be workers painting, sanding the pool, repairing… even the rooms were being redone, carpets changed, builders going up and down the lifts. Please don’t mention the lifts, they could not be any smaller! You can be waiting for them for 10mins and also get stuck between floors! The pool that they advertise in the brochures is located in the middle of four of the restaurants at the back of the hotel, as there was so much work going on around it, we couldn’t sit outside to eat as we would be sitting next to the builders, it was just too dirty, too noisy and too dusty. My back garden in London is a thousand times quieter and cleaner!

The front pool had also painters and workers; it was just the most horrible nightmare lying on your sun bed surrounded by all these workers.

Maybe the most frustraiting thing is to think that Mercury Direct are still happy to ruin people’s holidays without mentioning any of the problems that are going on! We sent photos and already 2 complain letters but apparently they consider this just as ‘minor repairs’ and after more than three months we are still waiting for some kind of compensation. This was certainly not our kind of holiday. The hotel is not worth the star raiting. I would like to know when they had the last cleaning inspection. We won’t go there again or use that operator."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2005

Fantastic

Good

"We had a great time.Service not quite as good as last time we were there about 4/5 years ago. But still very good. Food excelent and good veriety
Joan & Jim Jefferson.Essex"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2005

Fab Fortina

"We have just returned from the Fortina Hotel and Spa. I wasn't actually expecting very much, but was delighted with the standard of accommodation and generally excellent level of service.

The food in all the restaurants ranges from good (buffet) to excellent (chinese and indian). You have to book for each restaurant (apart from the buffet) for evening meals but this did mean you would not be disappointed when you turned up.

The only down side I could think of was the poor service in the indian restaurant. The staff (with one exception) are rude and have a superiority complex! This didn't stop us eating there (several times) but it did take the edge off the enjoyment.

The spa bedroom with private pool is excellent, and I cannot recommend it enough. The terrace where, the pool is, has good quality sunbeds, a shower and barbeque area.

We will definitely be returning to the Fortina soon."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

A Great Experience

"Every student needs a break, to get away from the work and stress. And even though student life means struggling with finances, parents always come in handy when you want to a plan a luxurious trip! And luxury we did get. We spent a week at the Fortina Spa Hotel in Malta and we had the best time of the year! The whole group would start off the day at the gym and the spa. It was always a good laugh at how we were simply pampering ourselves. Every evening we experimented with different restaurants, which suited our international group. The location of the hotel worked very well for us, it used to take us around thirty minutes to walk up to the nightclubs in St. Julians, it was always a pleasant walk along the sea strand. We also cannot forget to mention that the girls indulged in the shopping sprees in the malls and stores in Sliema five minutes away from the hotel. On the whole, we had a memorable week and we have decided that we will return to the Fortina Spa Hotel once we graduate to rekindle memories and simply because it was a great experience living there!

Students from Nottingham University UK"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of June 2005

Perfect relaxation

Good

"I have been to the Fortina Spa resort on 2 occassions and it just keeps on getting better!
On my last trip I travelled with a group of friends (male & female) and there is indeed something for everyone. We stayed on an all inclusive basis.
We stayed in the tower - our rooms were of a good size and the bathrooms are great. Very clean and comfortable.
I indulged in a couple of treatments in the spa and they were worth every penny - I had a facial and my skin remained glowing for a week. Definately one of the best I have had.
The food is amazing - there is so much choice - we ate in the Japanese, Indian and Thai - you certainly won't go hungry.
All of the staff that I encountered were extremley friendly and helpful.
I would highly recommend this resort and will be back soon!!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

Fantastic Fortina!

Good

"Having read some of the reviews I feel compelled to write and pass on my own experience of the Fortina Spa.

I am shocked to hear about any negative reviews as my recent stay in April was a truly wonderful holiday. The atmosphere was relaxing, the accommodation was exceptional and the standards of Customer Service were outstanding: everything I could have wished for in a luxuy Spa resort.

To be more specific, the rooms were clean and tidy and superbly furnished. As I had special requirements, (i.e. due to my handicaped wife needing special facilities), I received a courteous and speedy solution by the resort Management who quickly re-arranged accommodation with no questions asked.

I fully intend to revisit Malta and the Fortina Spa in particular again soon."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of May 2005

Excellent Hotel and a Great Stay

"Having been to Malta before with my friends 4 years ago which I really enjoyed it. I decided to take my Mum and Dad. We stayed here for a week from the 25th March until the 1st of April on a half board basis.

We booked with Mercury Direct having seen an advert in the Daily Mail. I thought it was an excellent offer as it included so much in the price. We had originally booked a deluxe garden view room at the 4 star Fortina Hotel which is the sister hotel.

Two days before we were going my mum and I went to the Vitality Show in Earls Court in London. It was just a coincidence that the show had a stall advertising both the Fortina Hotels. I got to speak to the owner of the hotel (Mike) and the Manager (Cliff) who were there and when I mentioned that I am coming there and staying at the 4 star hotel. Mike told me to give him my booking details and that he would upgrade us to the 5 star hotel. I thought that was very nice of him and was so pleased that we went to the show.

As soon as we reached Malta I knew we would have a great holiday. When we came out of the plane and entered the airport there some traditionally dressed Maltese people playing music and welcoming everyone and giving everyone a Maltese cake.

Once we got our luggage our Mercury Direct representative and driver were waiting for us and we were taken straight to our hotel.

When we got to the hotel we were checked in straight away and found the reception staff to be very helpful. The receptionist also explained everything about the hotel and our room and we were also given a welcome drink.

Room Facilities

Our room was on the second floor and it was a Tower Spa room. When we entered our room it was massive and very spacious. It has a super king size bed, a double sofa bed, a living room area, a TV, coffee making facilities, air-conditioning, balcony with a side view of the sea overlooking Valletta, a foot and neck massager, mini bar and a jacuzzi enclosed within the room,

The bathroom was also very big, triple the size of my bathroom at home, it had a steam shower, a jacuzzi and massage bath with lights, double sinks, and a derma-life machine. There were also plenty of towels, bath towels, hand towels, face towels, bath robes and slippers to use as well.The only thing that was not working was the lock on the bathroom door, but we didn't see this as a major issue and it didn't spoil our holiday.

The room and bathroom was cleaned everyday, with fresh towels and new toiletries been replaced if used. I must say the towels were always clean and of good quality. The girl who was cleaning our room was Maria and she was very nice and always smiling and talking when ever we saw her. Also a cleaner would come again in the evening to check if we needed anything or if anything needed changing.

Food:

As we were half-board we had our breakfast and evening meal included, although if you were out you could have lunch instead and the hotel staff very quite happy for you to do that. My parents and I are vegetarian so there was a lot of choice.

There were seven restaurants to choose from, The Valette which was a buffet restaurant, Hibiki was Japanese, Sa Re Ga Ma was Indian, Can Thai, was Chinese and Thai, Il Giardino was Italian and the Tinge and Taste restaurants were Mediterranean restaurants.

Breakfast (Taste Restaurant)

Our breakfast was served in the Taste restaurant. We were always greeted in a friendly manner by the staff. The breakfast was all buffet style and you just helped yourselves. I would say that there was quite a good choice for breakfast. There was a wide range of cereals, breads, fruit juices, dried fruit and nuts.There were also serving hot food which included, saugages, bacon, mushrooms, scrambelled eggs, potato croquettes, and backed beans. The chefs were also making fresh pancakes, fried eggs, poached eggs and omelettes to order. The chefs were so kind that one went out of his way to get some fresh coriander that I wanted in my omelette. They also had croissants and little pastries for breakfast too.

We also had lunch in this restaurant on our last day, which was very nice, as we had a late breakfast we had a light lunch of soup and a Mediterranean salad with roasted vegetables and cous cous. It was very nice and something different. I must say the portions were quite big.

The Valette Restaurant.

We went to this restaurant twice, on our first night and our fifth night. The choice here is adequate. There was a lot of choice the first time we went as they had a 3 main vegetarian dishes when we went the second time there was only vegetable omelette, I did ask the chef then to make me some vegetable pasta which he did do.The restaurant did have a lot of salad choice and there was always chips and boiled vegetables. For desert they always had ice cream and a choice of 3 other cakes. The only thing I could say is that there could be a bit more choice in this restaurant for all, including vegetarians.

You don't need to book in this restaurant just the others and you can do this from your room or by asking the reception staff.

Can Thai

My parents and I don't really go to Chinese or Thai restaurants here in the UK, But this restaurant was excellent and I can not complain as we went here twice. The food was very tasty and of very high standard. The girl who served us was very friendly and recommended what was good and worth trying as we told we don't eat meet. We could choose any thing from the menu, which included a soup, a starter, main, side dish and a dessert. I must say the wild mushroom and ginger soup was excellent and cooked really well. (I have never tried a soup like that before) There was a lot of choice for vegetarians too.

Il Giardino

We went to this restaurant twice as Italian is one of my Dads favourite as he loves his pizzas. Again in this restaurant you could choose any starter , main and desert. I must say the portions are quite big.they even had cannelloni as a starter, this was very nice and tasty. The first time we went we ordered 2 pizzas between us and couldn't finish them. The second time we went we just ordered one pizza, salad and cannelloni which was more than enough for us as we are not big eaters and do not believe in wasting food. I must say the staff in this restaurant were also very helpful and friendly and did their best to accommodate your needs.

Sa Re Ga Ma

This was an Indian restaurant and we went here only once. I wasn't too impressed with this restaurant as it had a limited choice for hotel guests and I didn't find the owner too friendly although his assistant was friendly. If you wanted to order from the main menu then you had to pay extra. They only had two vegetarian starter and main choices, and it seemed one of the curries we had ordered was frozen and had just been heated. We had also ordered 3 naans and were only given 2. We didn't say anything as we had already decided that we wont be coming to this restaurant again. Having been Indians ourselves we eat a lot of Indian food so weren't bothered about going there.

We didn't try the Tinge or Hibuki restaurant as they didn't have much vegetarian choices, but from what people said they were very nice.

Welcome Meeting

We had a welcome meeting with our Mercury Direct Representative the morning after we arrived. Our representatives name was Jonathan and he was very helpful and gave us lots of tips about Malta and the best way to go around Malta. He was always there at the hotel at a scheduled time if we needed him. After the meeting we were given a free harbour cruise tickets from a lady in the lobby area. She said that she would give us a spa treatment if we went to a talk about the hotel, as we were free we went. It was about a two hour discussion about the hotel, Malta and then a bit on time share, we were not interested in this, and were not forced into anything at all. We did get a ticket for a free spa treatment which was quite nice.

Spa Sante.

With our package we had the spa area included, which included 3 entrances to the spa area. this included, a jacuzzi, heated pool, meditation room, relaxation room, sauna room, steam room, ice room and a water walk. We also had the following included, facial, back massage, cleopatra bath, algae seaweed bath and algae seaweed wrap. All the staff in the Spa area were friendly and helpful and gave a high standard service on all treatments. We also had a free sightseeing tour ticket for a hop on hop of bus.

Location

The location for this hotel is excellent as it overlooks the sea front and Valletta. There are many shops and restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. There is a shopping mall which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel, which also has a supermarket. There are also bus stops near the hotel which are quite frequent. A day pass is only 2.50 euro, and you can go anywhere around Malta, and the buses are so easy to use and you cant get lost, if you do the Maltese are very friendly and helpful and will guide you on the right path.

The sea is just in front of the hotel and it worth doing the harbour cruise which is complementary. We also did a trip to Gozo with Luzzu cruises which was outside the hotel, and we were given another free 2 hour cruise with them which was worth doing.

It is also worth going to Midina, Rabat and Golden Bay beach, blue grotto and the fishing village.

Overall

This is my second time in Malta, last time I stayed in Qwara. I must say Silema was a nice location and I can not fault the hotel at all as myself and parents would definitely come back and recommend it to friends and family. I can definitely say it is a 5 star hotel. I don't understand how some people can give very bad reviews about this hotel and say it is a 1 star as this is not true at all. Like i said the only thing I was disappointed was the Indian restaurant. I would say this hotel is not really for young kids, and there is not much entertainment just someone playing a piano and singing in the evenings. It was very nice though and not having much entertainment didn't bother us at all as we had mainly gone to relax. I enjoyed relaxing in the jacuzzi in our room some evenings.

There is a computer in the reception area for hotel guests to use which was handy. We never had a problem with any staff member during our stay as all staff were always helpful to us when we asked them anything or needed to book the restaurants.

I would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff at the Fortina Spa hotel and Fortina Hotel for a wonderful stay. It was fantastic and my parents were very pleased I bought them

I would also like to say a special thank you to Mike and Cliff for upgrading us to the Spa Hotel and it was good to meet you both at the Vitality show in London. Its a shame we never got to meet you during our stay at the hotel. Hopefully next time as I will come back at some point and so will my parents.

If you would like to know more about this hotel please feel free to email on [---]
******** [
Shital] ******** Madlani"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2012

Don`t expect five star treatment here.

"First of all, the four star part of the hotel is very shabby indeed, more like a two star and the five star part of the hotel is only four star at the very best!.
The reception staff are ignorant and disinterested. The breakfasts are reasonably good and so are the evening meals., but we had to wait a long time to be served.
The spa treatments are way overpriced and it is hard to get a lounger by the pool. The best part of the hotel is the internal garden, especially when it is all lit up at night. The worst part of this hotel, are the time-share sharks up on the 12th floor and since returning home, we have read so many articles of people being scammed by them.
We like Sliema and the view of Valletta is very pretty, but here are far better hotels in Malta than the Fortina and my advice is to avoid this one at all costs!!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of October 2011

Hotels near Fortina Spa Resort

Stayed at Fortina Spa Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Fortina Spa Resort

• Kev Amsterdam by Kev Amsterdam

"Great part of town for beach for beach front restaurants and stunnig views "

• Kev Amsterdam by Kev Amsterdam

"Water Polo matches, The rocks grill and bar, Exiles. "

• kw3 by kw3

"the ice cream bar is great, massive ice creams YUM :P "

• Fortina_Reviewer by Fortina_Reviewer

"If you enjoy nice food and cleanliness don't go here "

• chufferhuffapuffer by chufferhuffapuffer

"Fortina Spa has 5 excellent restaurants "

• Shital M by Shital M

"Make the most of the facilities you have in your room, bathroom and the Spa Sante area. Also enjoy all the lovely restaurants and the walks along the sea front. "

Fortina Spa Resort is also called