Good

Doss hole

Reviewed Mon 1st of August 2016

"Please don't go to this hotel. We made a huge mistake to go four a week in June OMG never ever again . cockroach running around reception the girl on reception tried to hide the fact it was there. Food disgusting and same old crap. Reception staff knew guests were taking ladies of the night back to their rooms but totally ignored this. I have complained but they refuse to admit any of these things. Complained to travel republic whom we booked with they were no better and will never do business with them again.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of August 2016

Double Booking Nightmare & Holiday Ruined by Hoards of Students

Reviewed Mon 13th of April 2015

"We were told on arrival there was an electrical fault in the apartment we had booked and were put in a horrible room facing a derelict building! Another receptionist let it slip that our room had been double booked. It was 24 hours before we got the sea view apartment we had paid for and that was after a lot of arguing with a stroppy receptionist and incompetent manager! (Of course the hotel made double money on that apartment that night but we, despite asking and still corresponding with our travel company have received no refund)! Thus the first night and day of our holiday ruined! Usually everyone likes to get to their destination, unpack, shower and explore...no such luxury for us at the Strand! And the Rep. was nowhere to be found. He contacted us the night after we had got sorted to say he had been busy with other holiday makers!

This hotel also advertises (we since found out) on a hostel website, which explains why it was full of students. There was no mention of this from the holiday company we booked with or on the hotel website which we studied before booking. Every night they partied in the corridor, loud music and knocking on guests doors. When we complained at mid-night one night to security, he said the noise was coming from another hotel! In the end after several nights of this my husband had a go at the tutor and told her the students were a disgrace and she should be ashamed. Things then did quieten down but it was us that sorted the problem - the hotel did nothing!

On first inspection the rooms look clean - just don't look under the beds! My body suffered the springs coming out of the bed and the pillows were ancient, lumpy and horrible.

If you are a vegetarian don't bother eating there, they don't cater for us and besides the restaurant is over run by students, we were even told where to sit, no doubt to accommodate the students (which appear to be the hotels priority, probably because they come in large numbers and are worth more to them). So the window table I made a bee line for was made unavailable.

There is no sign the building work started last year is ever coming to an end! My husband was talking to one of the builders and he said they were only on floor 3, there are 7 floors in the hotel and they are working upwards! The builders also permanently occupy one of the lifts by holding the doors open on the floor they are working on so in this massive hotel there is only one lift available!

Just because a hotel only has 3 stars, doesn't mean it shouldn't be well run and clean - this was neither!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of April 2015

going back

Good
Reviewed Thu 8th of January 2015

"We stayed at the strand in Sept/Oct 2014 and were fortunate enough to get
a room with a sea view. We are in our 70s and had no problems. The staff were helpful and any problems we let them know about were quickly dealt with.Holidaymakers have to take the ruff with the smooth its part of the holiday and fun. If you are grumpy people don't go to Malta, it wont suit you. It you want to stay at this place deal with them direct by ringing them up or e mail don't go through agencies. We enjoyed the strand very much and are heading back there May/June 2015 Jim/Jean."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of January 2015

Too Hot to Handle for all the wrong reasons

Reviewed Wed 12th of June 2013

"Booked Hotel Strand Malta in November 2012 for May 1st -9th 2013. Website as well the Guest book for amenities in the room state all bedrooms have Heat & Air condiditoning controllable as you require. In reality hotel switched off the air condition. No one from the Agency / Hotel prior to arrival advised otherwise and even at check in nothing was mentioned.

I had to raise the issue when heat was coming out instead of cool air. Manager said I was being unreasonable to expect the Hotel policy to be altered for one guest even though it clearly states everywhere they so and no stipulation on dates etc. Even on the front door of the hotel they have air conditioning please close door.

Manager provided a fan not checking if there was a health and safety issue as the lead went across the hallway, so you had to jump over it, together with the leaking toilet so floor was all wet.

When brought to his attention about the guest book in my room and how it stated Air conditioning he declined to comment as he didn’t know what was actually in the book within his own room.
I wrote and complained once back from my sleepless vacation as the room was like a sauna and the agency first ignored my email, then stated well you got what you wanted on paper if not in reality, then they reckon unable to get hold of the hotel, yet when booking they responded in a couple of days.

Now they offer £20.00 compensation for something they had no intention of providing the guest but didn’t even bother to advise the customer beforehand so he can have the choice and think this is acceptable. The agent also try to claim that no one owns their company and have seen others who have had issues when problems occur and prefer to ignore.
As they refuse to offer a reasonable compensation and did ruin my vacation I have take this matter further. But do check beforehand that the hotel does offer all that it says it will.

• Travel date: Wed 12th of June 2013

Fantastic views and great location for getting anywhere in Malta

Reviewed Sun 25th of March 2012

"I have read the reviews of this Hotel .... some good, some not so good. I have just returned from a week in this hotel. The hotel is basic BUT it does not charged massive prices so you get what you paid for and more!

I stayed in a balcony room overlooking the harbour ....... fantastic! The room had everything I needed, although a kettle would be nice but it is a 3 star afterall.

I found the room very clean and the staff were BRILLIANT. The Maltese are extremly friendly people and are genuinely nice. All the moans and groans of people who have stayed here probably felt they were justified however I found this hotel and their staff absolutely brilliant.

Only ate breakfast, which was adequate for my needs. Plenty of places near the hotel to eat.

The sightseeing tour bus is a must!!!! great way to see the island. You can hop on and off whenever you want during the day you book to travel.

The hotel is situated perfectly to go where ever you want and the local bus service is very good.

Overall I feel this hotel deserves its 3 stars. Perfect for couples, singles and older children who love sightseeing.

Thank you 115 The Strand for looking after me and showing me how genuinely nice the Maltese people are."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2012

“ROBBED in the 115 The Strand Apartmanhotel in 2011”

Reviewed Tue 9th of August 2011

"We stayed at the 115 The Strand Apartmanhotel in Malta for one a week in the middle of July 2011. This was the WORST holiday in my life, because we were robbed in the closed hotel room. The thief robbed just money from our closed lagguage.The receptionist was very uncooperative, was not able to deal the situation. At the same time other rooms were robbed too.The receptionist did not give us the complaint book or the guest book. We could not speak to the hotel's manager and they did not give us any compensation. On the other hand the staff was unfriendly and the beach is far away from the hotel.

• Travel date: Thu 4th of August 2011

Don't go there!

Reviewed Fri 28th of May 2010

"After booking 6 months in advance, we were placed in a small cell like room - no window, not surprisingly we complained because the internet site implied that all rooms had a sea view (Ameneties) we were moved, grudgingly to a larger room overlooking the roofs, at least we could see the sun. Room tired but clean, plenty of mould in the bathroom.
Web site stated all rooms with tea/coffee making facilities - none at all, but could rent a kettle. Web site also states restuarant with range of foods, not true. Quality of food and restaurant staffing disgraceful for a hotel, breakfast - baked beans, sausage, scambled powdered eggs. Luncheon meat, garlic sausage, cheese slice, cake and toast. Same every day and the most miserable crew. Evening meal meat/fish, potatoe and one veg, take it or leave it, fresh fruit salad consisted of an apple and orange un-pealed on a plate - disgraceful. We ate in the hotel once only in the ten days we were there, even though we'd paid.
Whilst we were there an elderly lady tripped exiting the lift, no single member of staff went to her immediate assistance, just looked on while guests helped her to her feet and tended her injuries.
This hotel needs a good shakeup,and some serious customer service training, Web site very misleading, no Friday function, no kids games etc.
We have travelled all over the world, both cheap and expensive, this by far the worst hotel we've stayed in for a holiday. We felt let down by the web site information particularly - don't believe what you see. It certainly spoilt are holiday.
Fine as a back packers stop but never a holiday hotel at any price."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of May 2010

Be aware of 115 Strand Aparthotel

Reviewed Sat 18th of October 2008

"Be aware of 115 Strand Aparthotel in Sliema, Malta! This hotel has a really bad mold problem, so especially those allergic to mold should ensure that your travel agency does not sell vacations in this hotel. This hotel is not pleasent also for those not allergic, because the mold has a very poignant smell. Hotel personnel is also really rude because every morning there is a line of hotel guests complaining about their rooms."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of October 2008

Booking Warning. Websites quote one figure, they charge higher.

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I had tried for almost 2 years to book a holiday at this hotel. It's location is prime and the view is superb.
However, when I went to book I used one of the popular booking websites. I wanted a seaview room and the advert didn't make it clear so I called the hotel and asked them to confirm once I had booked.
They told me to place the request in the comments box and that would be ok.
Three days later they emailed me asking for twice the total amount. They say that I either pay or have an inland room at the back.
This is not what we had agreed and it has left me having to find another hotel.

Travellers beware of this practice and get your room confirmed in writing before you to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of August 2008

Great hotel, ignore the naysayers!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I've seen a lot of negative reviews here and just can't understand why - we had the most wonderful time at The Strand during our week in Malta. We went here for our honeymoon and opted to go self catering, as it was cheaper and in our experience, breakfasts at hotels aren't usually worth getting up early for.

The staff were pleasant and helpful and really appreciated our efforts to speak a little Maltese. There was always someone at the desk if you needed help, and they were quite well informed about the area which we found immensely helpful. The premises were well kept and cleaned regularly. Our room was basic, but for the price we paid we got a great deal - clean bathroom with all necessary facilities, small cooking area with some utensils and a fridge/freezer, toaster and kettle, a dining area, a sofa, a comfortable bed, air conditioning, a wardrobe, television with multiple language channels and a small balcony. The balcony looked out into an internal part of the hotel, so you don't get a great view, but we didn't fancy paying for a sea view so were quite content with what we had. In any case, the hotel was mainly just a base for us, so we didn't feel a nice view was necessary (although if you do want a great view, it's well worth going to the top floor and sitting on the roof balcony - wonderful harbour views there!) There's also a small but pleasant spa/pool, but personally I would rather walk a little way to the beach or the lido than stay at the hotel all day! And everything is within easy walking distance, which is a great bonus.

The hotel also has its own little cafe and bookshop, which I thought was fantastic and sold lovely Maltese pastries for a reasonable price, and also has a gift shop. On our last day, we were able to leave our luggage in a small storage area until we were ready to leave, which was very helpful.

All in all, I would readily go back to the Aparthotel - we got a fantastic bargain. The people who have complained about it seem to overlook the fact that it is very cheap to stay there. If you're looking for luxury, this isn't for you, but if you want a pleasant, cheap place to stay for an enjoyable holiday, with friendly staff and a relaxed atmosphere, this is definitely the place for you."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"This was the worst experience i have ever had, DO NOT STAY HERE.. the reception is was very unacommidating, the rooms are dirty, we were told we had a "balcony", but really we had a balcony that opened up to a small opening in the middle of the building about 3 feet wide where sewage pipes ran down and we had to keep it closed and suffocate because it smelled so badly. So our view was the window of the toilet in another room with no sunlight. The breakfast is very poor aswell. Many people paid the cancellation fee and stayed elsewhere upon arrival. Seriously, it is not worth it because its cheap-stay somewhere nicer and cleaner on your holiday it is worth the extra $."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of April 2008

115 cracked us up

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Our 1 week stay over Christmas was a little surreal. From the management hosted sherry parties to the 'entertainment programme' (the highlight being Tommy One Man Band) to the notices stating "It is very important to make as little noise as possible inside your room or in the corridors", this place was like Fawlty Towers on a bad day. The 70's decor, the snooty reception staff, the rubber sausages and flourescent yogurt vats at breakfast provided endless talking points and lots of hilarity throughout the week.

It is difficult to rate this place as it's in a little world of its own. There were a good few plus points: Rooms were large and clean, though pretty basic and cheaply kitted out. My mum had the sea view and it was well worth the extra few bob. The view from the rooftop balcony area is equally good. Location is great, you can't fault it. And best of all, it was cheap as chips..."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

Hotels near 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites

Top traveller tips for 115 The Strand Hotel and Suites

• NEILBAYLES by NEILBAYLES

"check before you go if there is air conditioning "

• smicker by smicker

"Be happy, you are on holiday "

• Phil W by Phil W

"Stay in the lift - it's sound proofed! "

115 The Strand Hotel and Suites is also called