About Sunflower Hotel

• complimentary toiletries
  • special diet menus
  • swimup bar
  • portuguese amenities
  • free public parking nearby
  • evening entertainment
  • rooftop pool

A restful week in Malta

Reviewed Tue 7th of August 2012

"This is a reasonable hotel in a fairly quiet part of town, an easy walk to the bus station and the sea. In Malta the buses give you good access to all parts of the Island. Get a seven day ticket (12Euro's).
The room was large enough, having two windows with balconies, shower/bath with hot water available all day.
The pool is on the roof, clean but not large enough to do any serious swimming,but a good sun trap. We stayed half board, Continental B'fast and dinner.The food was surprisingly good, but we were in the dining room at the start of dinner.
We shall return to this hotel next holiday.
Bugibba does not have much of a beach,but a nice sandy beach is a short bus ride up the coast. "

• Travel date: Tue 7th of August 2012

I will come back!

Reviewed Wed 10th of November 2010

"This was my third holiday at the Sunflower Hotel Qawra and I will return next year.I have been in many Maltese Hotels over the last 20 years and this is the most obliging and pleasant.The choice of meals is very good and the quality excellent.The rooms are very clean.I am surprised it is only a three star.The Staff go out of their way to help.It is not too far a walk to the Qawra bus terminus and shopping centre with a good range of restaurants.It is only a medium sized hotel but the roof pool,bar,games room,and internet area are adequate.The Staff are very knowlegdeable about the island and gave good advice on days out."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of November 2010

Good value

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2010

"We had a standard room with balcony, and had to stay longer due to the volcanic ash. The room was comfortable with a fan and heating/air conditioning. The hotel was very clean. There was always enough hot water.

When the flights were cancelled the staff were very accommodating, despite the crisis the prices remained the same. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times.

Breakfast is mostly continental, but full English could be booked at an extra cost. Dinner involved several choices, meat, fish, pasta for the main courses, with salads or soup starters. Deserts were usually flans/tarts and ice-cream.

This was a no-frills very good value for money hotel, and we would not hesitate to stay there again."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of April 2010

Hotel was average, rooms clean but basic...

Reviewed Mon 1st of September 2008

"Hotel was average, rooms clean but basic, balcony was smaller than expected, and not user friendly, looked out on to waste land, in shade all day, and had no privacy, we never sat out at all. Pool was nice, but holiday was totally ruined by people playing ball games in the pool, the pool itself is perfect for a leisurely dip and to relax, but allowing ball games etc, wasted the holiday for myself and many others I spoke to.
The location of the hotel is a bit out of the way, we did not mind the 10-15 min walk to the local bars and restaurants, but we can understand it will not suit many.
In the whole I would recommend malta, it was not our first visit, but i would not recommend the sunflower hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

Having lived in malta for 3 years in the...

Reviewed Thu 14th of August 2008

"Having lived in malta for 3 years in the sixties I was looking forward to returning for 10 days.
The hotel accmdn was fine. The room was spacious enoiugh and always kept clean. I would gladly return year after year.......if they sacked the chef ! A continental breakfast was provided via a buffet but you could tell that it was yesterdays yoghurt that had been topped up. day 3 & 4 were spent in the room vomitting. Day 5 was interesting. We went down for breakfast at 9am to be told that the hotel wasclosing in an hour for "refurbishment" and would be transferred to the Santana at 10am. I believe guests of HM are given more warnings before they are transferred. Not a happy bunny at this stage as you can immagine but the Santana was 10 times better.
On the up side the staff were really chatty and helpfull..........but then again so are all the Maltese people.
In conclusion Eat Out......but the chef has probably ben changed by now. We can only hope !!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of August 2008

The Sunflower Hotel came as a pleasant s...

Reviewed Thu 22nd of May 2008

"The Sunflower Hotel came as a pleasant surprise - I'd been to Malta before but my wife hadn't, and it thoroughly won her over. The atmosphere at the hotel is relaxed and friendly, and the staff will go right out of their way to help with any queries you might have. We only stayed the week, but would have gladly stayed for months.
The menu is straightforward - a mix of pasta, salad and carvery dishes with a soup of the day and a choice of desserts. Some may want a little more variety, but for most people there shouldn't be a problem.
Our room was next to the staircase, yet we heard very little of people coming and going throughout the evenings. The room was ensuite, with a balcony and patio furniture, with air conditioning and a fan, which is a must after April. Fittings and furnishings are straightforward; stylish they are not, but they are easy on the eye, and everything is clean. There are no sea view balconies, but the promenade at Buggiba is only 10 minutes walk away, or 15 if you prefer a leisurely stroll, so get off your backsides and go to it - it's way better than just looking at it!
The hotel's location is around 10 minutes walk from the local bus station; the elderly or infirm might struggle with the odd broken or uneven pavement here and there, but it shouldn't be a problem for most people. The maximum fare we saw was 1 Euro 16 Cents, and the buses themselves travel to all parts of the island.
Finally, the numerous English or Irish-themed pubs in the locality, with satellite TV for footy or cricket coverage, mean you're never far from a good pint!
I have no hesitation in recommending the Sunflower Hotel - unless you're one of the Hyacinth Buckets or Victor Meldrews of this world, you won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of May 2008

we realy enjoyed our holiday in malta th...

Reviewed Thu 24th of April 2008

"we realy enjoyed our holiday in malta this year we have been before but stayed in another hotel in buggiba.
there was 5 of us me my mum and stepdad and my twin brithers
we all realy enjoyed our stay the facilitys were fantactic anhd the rooms were very clean and the rooms were cleaned every day
the pool was realy warm and the jacuzi was very relaxing.
the food was realy nice and it was a differant specialality every day the weather wasnt that good but it was warm enough to go out for the day with out a coat or jacket.
we used the local busses and the price is very good its better than the prices of our local busses in england they just rip you off.
we went all over the place e.g valleta sleima, ect we didnt go to paradise ba y rhis time becausae the weather wasent good enough 4 that
over all i loved the holiday and i would recomend this hotel to anybody and i would deffenatly go bak again in the future "

• Travel date: Thu 24th of April 2008

We felt that The Sunflower Hotel offered...

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2007

"We felt that The Sunflower Hotel offered good value for money. Our room was clean and spacious and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

There is a small bar selling drinks and snacks on the ground floor and next to the pool bar on the roof.

The location is good for getting around the island, as the bus station is only a short walk away from the hotel. The main tourist street is close by with plenty of bars and restaurants.

Qawra & Buggiba are very much tourist resorts so not as historic or pretty as other areas on the island. There was plenty of building development in the area including on the site next to The Sunflower Hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of November 2007

We stayed at the Sunflower Hotel in Malt...

Reviewed Sun 16th of September 2007

"We stayed at the Sunflower Hotel in Malta in May 2006, which we booked independently on the internet.

The hotels itself, is 20 minute walk to the promenade area, bars and restaurants. So location wasn’t to good.

The hotel pool area is situated on the roof top, which on first impressions looks very nice. But as you adventure into the swimming pools you notice that the pools itself and the water needs a good clean, bugs and dirty floating everywhere.

So we decided to go to the beach area, which was shilled area's no sand. You have to go to Golden Bay, for the sandy beach. Which is 45 minute walk away, or 15 minutes in a taxi.

The resort itself in Malta is beautiful, but if you are looking for lots of things to do, and busy nightlight then I wouldn’t recommend this holiday's for you. "

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

Have just returned from the Sunflower Ho...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of July 2007

"Have just returned from the Sunflower Hotel and I am very disappointed as this was my main holiday for the year.

The hotel in my opinion would have been correctly accredited as a 3* if everything had worked, but unfortunately very little did work.

The air con was pathetic and we believe was regulated by the hotel not the thermostat in your room, it was 35 outside and about 39 inside.

The fan if fastened to the ceiling properly was a little help, if you opened the door to the balcony and the door to the corridor. The Jacuzzi did not work, well sorry one jet did.

The indoor pool was the only cold place in the hotel; this was lovely after the hot walk back to the hotel to jump in to cool off.

The rooftop pool for the first four days was lovely, clear blue, but after that it turned cloudy and did not look clean at all, we did report this but nothing was done right up until the time we left.

The Internet did not work, and the view from all four sides of the hotel was horrible, a building site for two sides and rubbish dump for the other two.

The rooms were clean and the two girls on reception were polite even if they never did seem to get anything fixed, just wrote it down.

I would not go to this hotel again if you paid me."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

This was a very nice hotel in a quiet re...

Reviewed Tue 19th of December 2006

"This was a very nice hotel in a quiet residential area, but only a few minutes walk from the main busy part of the resort.

The best thing about staying in Buggiba is the bus terminal. You can get to anywhere on the island - making sight seeing relatively cheap.

The actual hotel does have a rooftop pool but it is small and rather cold! However it is a pleasant place to sunbathe.

The food was quite good, there was always a big choice for breakfast and for dinner usually about 4 main course choices with a selection of side dishes.

I would stay here again."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of December 2006

Good for what it was

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"The Sunflower Hotel is a decent and mostly well kept hotel in Qawra on Malta. The hotel doesn't really fit into the neighborhood in which it was built. The hotel, in comparison to the buildings in the area, is clean and sharp. The houses and apartments in the area are run-down and weather-worn--typical of inner-island areas anywhere in the world. The best I can compare it to is a combination of Mexico and Hawaii. It has the "dirtier" feel (take that with a grain of salt) of Mexico but more of the laid back attitude of Hawaii.

The rooms in the hotel are slightly on the smaller side, but very good for a two-star hotel. The balconies are a plus. The beds (which consist of mattresses placed directly onto wooden platforms) were just fine for me, but other travelers might find them uncomfortable. The decor is very Mediterranean: light wood, tiled floors, soft-hued walls. Like the rooms, the bathrooms are small, but doable. The electricity is a bit tricky to figure out (you have to insert the room key into a slot in the wall to turn on the electricity in the room). I had to reinsert the key several times sometimes to activate all of the switches in the room. I quickly got the hang of it, though, so it wasn't much of a problem for me. In general, I had a good experience with the rooms.

The restaurant at the hotel could do better. I only ate one dinner at the hotel, so perhaps I did not get a full taste of what the chefs can put out. The cottage pie was a bit dry, the vegetables were not very fresh, and the salad was lacking in crispness. Breakfasts were also on the below-average side. I enjoyed the meat and cheese, but they only had one selection of each, so if you didn't like them, well... The granola was fresh, though, as was the yogurt. Unfortunately (and all you Brits, don't take this wrong), the food I found on the island was all very British: bland.

I would definitely recommend going in more of the tourist season. The hotel was less than half full while I was there (end of November). The cities of Qawra and Bugibba are both within five or ten minutes walking, but there aren't a whole lot of things to do there, mainly due to the lack of tourists I'm guessing. Many of the island tours and harbor cruises were closed for the winter. If I came again, I would want to come with a few more tourists. But if you don't mind being removed from the main stream and in a quieter area, this is a good hotel.

Some other reviews have mentioned that the hotel doesn't even have their own towels or materials to use. They are indeed marked with Hotel Santana, but this is because the Sunflower is a relatively new hotel and sprouted from the company that owns Hotel Santana. Also, other reviews cited a night club next door as a great disturbance. I don't know what has happened in the area recently, but the only signs that there was a night club were a few signs pointing to a completely gutted and overgrown lot.

Things I would recommend doing: visit Valletta and Sliema, eat dinner in St. Julian's, catch the 627(?) express bus from Sliema to Golden Bay (there are excellent views of the sea and the coast on this route).

Overall, I had a great experience. I would most likely stay here again, especially concerning the cost. Remember to buy bottled water!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of November 2006

Hotels near Sunflower Hotel

Top traveller tips for Sunflower Hotel

• Dee by Dee

"No beach here, plenty of buses to explore Malta. Good value hotel. "

• Malteser by Malteser

"A good base for days out "

Sunflower Hotel is also called