It is all true!

Reviewed 9th August 2016

"It doesn't give me any pleasure in adding to the general chorus of disapproval but, if anywhere deserves it, this place surely does. The staff are just unbelievable. They aren't rude, they are much much more than that. Indifferent, arrogant, you pick a word and I guarantee it won't be enough. We booked an apartment - a simple brief - a week in the sun to relax after a somewhat exhausting lead up with our daughters wedding and a number of other stressful events in the months leading up. It should have been so simple. We booked an apartment and expected it to be pretty basic. It didn't disappoint. When I went down to reception to find out how to turn on the air conditioning I was told that I would have to pay an extra €40 PLUS a €12 euro deposit for the remote control. I declined. I did ask if I would have to pay for heating in the winter. in keeping with their general level of service, the manager shrugged his shoulders and walked off. The apartment was not dirty but unkempt. Except the bath. That WAS dirty AND unkempt. The delightful balcony overlooked the stairwell. The pool area was, as many have said, small and grubby. It was also firmly in the shade from 9.30am until the end of the day. Too small to sit by and enjoy. Food - pretty awful and grotesquely repetitive. Avoid the poached eggs at breakfast - they were so leathery it was actually vomit inducing. Initially I was quite OK with the food at lunchtime and evening, but it quickly became apparent that it was, more or less, the same everyday. A choice of a roast (which was a suspiciously odd size and shape) with overcooked vegetables. There is always a rice or pasta dish on and they weren't too bad in my experience. It was hit or miss as to whether anybody took a drink order. If they did it was grudging. The soups were good and there was always bread. Here goes my own personal annoyance from which there was no return! Butter. Yes, butter. At breakfast there were two trays, one with butter and one with that horrible murky grease that is known as spread. No problem, I can have butter on my toast. Butter is ONLY available at breakfast time. At any other time you have yo have spread. I asked for butter and, the first time, one of the waiters brought it. The next night my waiter (Manuel - seriously) informed me that the spread was butter. I told him that it was not but, with his usual courtesy, just stomped off. I beat the butter ban by lifting it at breakfast and sticking it in the fridge for later. The point here is that, when you are on holiday, you should be relaxing and this place made absolutely EVERYTHING a tedious effort. A bit like negotiating a field of quick drying cement in a suit of Armour. You have to fight for absolutely anything that you want at this hotel. Please be warned. It isn't worth it. I most certainly won't ever go there again. Mind you, the beer is good!"

• Travel date: 9th August 2016

The worst hotel ever

Reviewed 27th July 2016

"This hotel is a disgrace. I would not even give this hotel a 1 star never mind a 4 star. I would strongly recommend that you consider a different hotel. In all my time of travel I have never had such a bad experience. I booked this hotel last min for my 30th birthday and it is the biggest regret ever. The staff are not helpful and are extremely rude. Never mind the staff even the manager has no management skills and doesn't care what you have to say. Firstly the rooms are a disgrace. I'm actually surprised that this hotel has not yet been closed down. We stayed 5 nights at this hotel and trust me this is the first and last time. Our bedding wasn't changed for the 5 nights and when we complained to the man at reception he said that the bedding gets changed every 3 days. What?? Really?? When i looked at him in surprise he just shrugged and carried on. The shower curtain is so filthy that you'd rather not shower at all. There is no air con in the hotel at all. I heard another customer complaining at reception and the answer she was given was that she will only get air con in the room if they have the air con on down in reception. However this was never the case. The air con was never on. Our bin for the toilet wasn't changed for the 1st 2days and on arrival there were no towels in the room which we had to ask for. Our phone line wasn't working so we had to go downstairs to reception every time we needed something. The food at this place is worst than school dinners. We booked HB and because we are vegetarian we had to order our dinner at breakfast time. (A complete joke and waste of time). Your drinks are not included with your dinner whether its soft drinks or alcoholic and you are not told this at the time of check in The gym is not a gym. It literally has about 4 machines in there. It has silly opening times as well from 9am till 6pm. Who would be going 2 the gym at this time. The pool is tiny and is again open 9am till 6pm. The water in the jacuzzi is filthy and again you are only allowed to use it between 9-5pm. This whole place is a joke and i cannot understand how this hotel is operating. On the last day when we tried to explain to the manager that we weren't told about the drinks not being included with the dinner. Instead of listening he threatened to call the police over 8 euros and 20 cents. What a joke?? When i tried to tell him about the room he wasn't interested and said well you've checked out now so what you complaining for?? If you want a good holiday then DON'T book this hotel. "

• Travel date: 24th July 2016

2star accomodation masquerading as 4star

Reviewed 22nd July 2016

"So my wife and I booked a weeks holiday here under the premise that it was a 4star hotel on an all inclusive basis. Maybe the Canifor was a 4 star hotel sometime back in the past when Bruce Willis still had hair....certainly the entrance hall looks impressively lovely with marble tiles and nice lighting and if it all was as high gloss as the entrance hall then this review would be dramatically different...but as soon as that initial facade slips away it goes downhill faster than a jet propelled gokart Accommodation:- Firstly please know it's not just us, we failed during our stay to find anyone who was happy with the standard of their rooms, it's not like we held a public assembly on how bad the rooms were, rather it was kust standard conversation between guests Ours had thread bare bed covers, a fan with exposed wiring that wobbled more a Weeble on a jelly trampoline, a toilet with a chipped seat and flush covered in radioactively bright green corrosion and cupboards with broken hinges and in generally terrible condition.  Not to mention a hideous smell like month old sweaty socks and a noise like a harrier jump jet preparing to take off coming from the air conditioning that I obviously can't share here for you to experience. Also we were woken 4.30 to 5am most mornings from rubbish collections by bin Lorries in the street below.... I accept there's very little the hotel can do about this.but it's another good reason to swerve the place. Food:- Once again...we booked this under premise it was a 4 star hotel.. But the food was terrible and barely deserving 1star, varying from unpalatable stodge you could use as wallpaper adhesive to overcooked meat and veg.  Over and over people told us that they, as we, went and ate out rather than eat at the hotel. The food is that bad that even the school dinners of my youth would be preferable.  Genuine Maltese cuisine is sadly absent and has been replaced with unseasoned mush that aims to please the most boring of British palettes and misses even that target a particular irony being that salt production is something Malta is famous for yet it doesn't appear to make it into the Canifor's kitchens. Entertainment:- The only thing worse than the food...... Stuck somewhere in the past the entertainment such as it was included 2 nights of music so dated that most of them were golden oldies in 1986. Elderly locals who had emigrated to Malta from the UK and have embraced the Maltese culture in the same way that west borough baptist church embrace gay rights turn up and line dance the night away. Worse was to come the next night when the "entertainment " was a woman on a Hammond organ playing a variety of songs without managing to hit all the correct notes in any of them accompanied by a man on a tambourine who reminded me of an excommunicated vicar.  The most fun part of that was trying to work out which song she was murdering as she went along. Then there's the hotel's policies and prices. Wifi is a paid for option but you can only get on it half the time. A crazy policy that allows pints of beer on all inclusive but not pints of soft drinks, something that led to one of the barmen snatching a small glassof lemonade from my wife and calling her stupid when she tried to pour said small glass into a larger one with ice in.....yes really......He Upset her whole day over a glass of lemonade. Apparently they are all under cctv to monitor their actions (so someone at the hotel who reads this can watch the cctv back to see what happened ) You have to rent the tv remote (the only two English language channels are cnn and sky news so don't rush to pay for the remote) Pay to use the safe in your room plus a deposit for a key Pay for tea and coffee making facilities in your room (4star hotel and you don't even get a kettle????) Pay to hire a beach towel The public toilets are poorly cleaned and in the gents on the lower floor the soap dispenser is missing the hand dryer broken so toilet roll on top to dry hands with and broken coat hook on the door. The lifts broke down repeatedly during our stay though this apparently was the fault of a large school party from English first who were "misusing" them. The good bits,.. It's close to local amenities, the majority of the staff are very friendly (although some of the older reception staff could give victor meldrew lessons in grumpiness) Seafront is close by but don't expect long sandy beaches as they are more stone than sand Rooms are serviced daily but loo roll is poorly managed and is only slightly more absorbent than the tracing paper type stuff you used to get in school.  Worth investing in something softer from the local shops. The snack menu is limited but it's hot and fresh and tastes 1000% nicer than the lunch menu so if you must eat in lunchtime do the snacks. Children's menu cuts off an hour earlier at night than the adult menu and from what I saw was largely beans and sausages reheated from the morning. Now a message to the owners...  First off.....try some customer feedback at source. When we left on Friday no one asked if we had enjoyed our stay that's a huge opportunity being missed to know where it's going wrong Listen to your staff.. Several staff told us that they aren't listened to about the poor food, entertainment and general running of the hotel. Try some feedback forms asking about how people enjoyed the food, their accommodation, entertainment etc or do an undercover boss and try it for yourself. And don't forget the most important question for any business... Would you use us again? For me it's no way never.  Final note... Don't even consider staying here if you're of colour. My wife is black and she was the only black person there for most of the week. She may as well have had two heads and both on fire for the amount of stares she had there.   "

• Travel date: 22nd July 2016

any good reviews must be written by the management

Reviewed 27th May 2016

"I find it incredible that the Canifor Hotel has not had the health inspectors in and closed it down. The Tourist Authority must have been asleep for the past 15 years. This Hotel is run so badly that it makes one wonder who gives hotels like this a 4 star rating and why? I have never stayed in such an awful hotel even 2 star in the rest of Europe are better,lots better! Be aware booking with Low Cost Holidays / Mercury, they put you in hotels with no knowledge of its condition. And if you complain Tough !"

• Travel date: 27th May 2016

Canifor Hotel, Qawra, Malta.

Reviewed 21st April 2016

"Canifor Hotel, Qawra, Malta. We took a holiday in Malta, 06/03/16 to 13/03/16 staying at the Canifor Hotel, Qawra. Unfortunately our experience of this hotel was not a pleasant one. I found the report and quotes attributed to Paul Bugeja CEO, Malta Tourist Authority in the Times of Malta 08/03/16 article which included the Canifor Hotel very interesting, clearly he has a huge task to improve Malta's image! On arrival at this hotel we found our room was showing signs of wear, children's crayon scribbles on the wall, cracked and chipped wash hand basin in the bathroom, plug jammed in position and to empty which one had to reach under the sink and operate the lever. A repair was effected by a handyman but this failed within a day. Fridge not working, this was repaired, but it was also filthy, at our request had to be cleaned. We requested of the chambermaid that the towels were changed, they were off white to grey and some were frayed at the end and had old bloodstains. Also the pillow cases were not clean, having old blood stains and human hair from a previous use on them. Neither pillows or the mattress had protectors. We found the chamber maid who was apologetic and wanted to help but said she could only supply towels and linen as supplied to her by the hotel. We went to reception and complained, the housekeeping supervisor was sent to our room, where we met and repeated the complaint showing her the towels and linen. Initially she stated aggressively that both towels and that the linen were clean and acceptable. We had to insist, at which she suddenly was able to find clean towels and pillow cases, to say the least she was unhelpful. During our stay 1 of the 2 lifts was not working at most times. The breakfast was just acceptable, lacked imagination, but dinner was atrocious, reluctantly we ate out. At no time was fresh fruit available. We feel that all meals were produced at lowest possible cost, result awful food. Whilst the Maitre d Hotel was courteous and friendly the majority of the waiting staff were sullen and unwilling to communicate with guests. Cracked coffee cups were out for use at breakfast and new cups were placed out by a waiter picking up 4 cups in each hand by inserting his fingers in to the cups. Hygiene training clearly required. The barman was not a pleasant person, managing to serve gusts with out conversing with them. Other than the young ladies on reception the majority of the staff were surly. We heard other many guests complaining of standards and the poor quality of the food. But as the first day of our holiday was lost to complaining and attempting to ensure we experienced reasonable standards of service we decided to enjoy Malta and work our way around our dissatisfaction, eating out at extra cost to ourselves. We felt that what we were experiencing were the norm at the Canifor Hotel, this is not a 4 star hotel, in my opinion it struggles to meet the standards required for 2 star rating. Don't stay in this hotel !!!! "

• Travel date: 8th April 2016

if you,ve booked to go unpack your case and stay at home

Reviewed 8th December 2015

"This has to be the most awful, disgusting place on earth. it's that bad you ask yourself is this for real is there a hidden camera. A scum on the wall and surface of water in indoor pool. Smell of smoke in rooms and bed clothes sickening. food would be refused by pigs. all inclusive is a joke, don't ask for a bottle or jug of water as they will with a snotty reply inform all inclusive are only entitled to a glass of water. Just don't go."

• Travel date: 6th December 2015

Very disappointing

Reviewed 6th August 2015

"I don’t normally write reviews but this time I am making an exception. First impressions of the hotel when we arrived were good. Reception area was nice. We had to wait a while before we could go to our room but that was to be expected. Room was fine, nice view of the see on both sides. On exploring the hotel we went down to the pool bar. Very shabby. Pool table clothes were all torn. Pool side was OK. Pool was a bit off an odd size and was salt water. Beware they put bleach in the pool at night and it closes at around 7pm. Dining room was OK but the food was not brilliant considering it was a 4 star. Not enough selection for children only burgers and beans. Upstairs bar opened on an evening. This was nice and clean. OK so these were our first impressions. As the holiday went on we found it to be quite dirty. Cups and glasses were still at the poolside from the night before with rubbish on the floor. Cups left in reception area for 2 days. Moldy tomatoes in salad bar. Students from Schools First arriving every 2 days and disrupting other guests by throwing plastic bottles from balcony, running around corridors at night and lack of supervision. There were endless complaints from guests about their rooms being dirty, blocked toilets and sinks. Sewage coming up through toilet. Air con dripping or not working. Balcony door with no lock. The location of the hotel is great but a 4 star hotel it is not. Trust me you can do better than this hotel. Quite a disappointing hotel. "

• Travel date: 5th August 2015

Dirty, disgusting 1st wedding anniversary disaster!!!!

Reviewed 26th January 2015

"This is the most horrendous '4*' hotel we have ever stayed at in our lives- We are currently sitting n the hotel room as i type this because it couldnt wait another day.... We came back to the room to find it was being 'cleaned' so we patiently waited and had a walk around to give the cleaner some time to do what she had to do- little did we know that she was usng our toilet for her episode of explosive diarrhea... And i know that sometimes you are sick and i would never hold it against someone - except SHE LEFT THE MESS FOR US TO CLEAN THE NEXT TIME WE ENTERED THE BATHROOM!!!!! I am so disgusted and repulsed by this place!!!! We aren't people who EVER leave bad reviews and are the first o acknowledge a great service but this place is so bad that others deserve the warning..... If you are looking for a 2* stay then the cleanliness is ok- the place is worn but fine. The food on the first night was so horrible that we literally thought that we were being tested for a reaction..... The breakfasts are ok but that's about it. The elevators are an accident waiting to happen as you can actually see down the shaft through the huge gaps in the floor/door... The place is covered in damp walls, filthy carpets and mediocre levels of cleanliness... We chose all inclusive to make life easier- however you still have to pay additional daily funds to even get tea and coffee facilities?? Their were a range of different types of hair all over the bath, the toilet and the bathroom floor... The service ranges from very helpful and friendly staff to people who look like they would rather be anywhere but near you, never mind having to actually serve you... Needless to say that this place should be ashamed to call themselves a 'hotel' never mind trying to disguise a sheer dirty hovel as a 4*!!!! Disgusted visitors, Michelle "

• Travel date: 25th January 2015

fantastic holiday

Reviewed 26th August 2014

"Lovely and clean hotel. not all staff friendly good choice of food short distance to the beach and sea life center good value for money beautiful sunshine lovely places to visit went on open top bus to all local attractions Medina amazing. would go there again.Pool to small as we were family of 5 adults otherwise fantastic holiday."

• Travel date: 26th August 2014

Dont go there.

Reviewed 24th March 2014

"We have just returned from our first holiday in Malta, after staying at this Hotel. My first impression was that the Hotel had a tired look about it. We arrived at 11am and were told we could not have our room until 2pm. We left our bags in a cupboard and had to explore and pay for lunch elsewhere. Our room was a decent size but not clean. rust stains around bath, cracks to floor tiles, toilet stained. The bathroom wasn't cleaned properly for 2 weeks, I had to buy cleaner and cloth to do it myself. The restaurant was definitely not 4*. Breakfast monotonous. and cold. Lunch on all inclusive the same, we ended up having a meal at the snack bar or ate out. Dinner had chooses but was tasteless and cold. It was served by staff so that no one could take too much. The staff were very rude, Reception staff hardly talked. I cant imagine us going back to Malta, and definitely not to this Hotel "

• Travel date: 23rd March 2014

OLD, TIRED AND CREAKY!!

Reviewed 6th March 2014

"My wife organized 4 nights in this hotel as a Christmas/birthday treat for us and indeed a treat it was!!! I have never been to such a rubbish hotel. Okay it was the end of February but the place was heaving with 70+ year old so I obviously (wrongly) assumed it must have a good reputation and be an A1 hotel. The room in all fairness was big and clean. (A rarity reading previous reviews). The food was bland, bland, bland. All British dishes badly made, badly presented and badly served. There was not enough staff after the first 5 minutes of the cavalry charge that was the beginning of meal times so we ended up clearing tables and getting our own cutlery on several occasions. The indoor pool was big enough for about 6 people. The "entertainment" in the evenings was dreadful. It was so bad on our last night that my wife and I bought a bottle of wine and took it to our room to read our books in bed! We were in bed by 9 o'clock. The place needs a whole and full refurbishment not just of the fixtures and fittings but of the staff and their attitudes too. Never, never again. Traveler beware, this place is rubbish. I could go on forever but I hope you've got the idea by now? On the up side we had a really busy 4 days and I think Malta is fab. There's loads to see and it's all cheap to get to. Valetta is intriguing, Bugibba sea front is lovely, the Classic Car Museum is definitely worth 7euros and the new National Aquarium is a real credit to the island. Go to Malta but don't go to the Canifor! "

• Travel date: 6th March 2014

Security risk

Reviewed 28th January 2014

"We have booked in for 28 nights. Found it ok after 10 days we found that the door wouldn't lock. We reported to reception to be told that the doors will lock if the button on the knob is pressed on the INSIDE so we had gone out for 10days without locking the door. Anyone can come along a just turn the handle and get it. My friend had a man walk in her room at 2.20 in the morning aaiid he was sorry, he had got the wrong room. This morning I reported it to the rep. He said he would tell people about it. I also told the receptionist but he said If he went over all 100 rules it would take a long time.and was doing nothing about it. There is no security,people waking in and out all the time. A quick mention to all guests would take seconds. Apart from that the hotel is fine. Weather letting our holiday down but it is warmer than UK."

• Travel date: 28th January 2014
  • ...

Hotels near Canifor Hotel

Top traveller tips for Canifor Hotel

• by MickFaver

"I would suggest spending a little more and stay at somewhere decent."

• by Rehana F

"Don't book this hotel"

• by Steve S

"Stay somewhere else if you're looking for genuine 4star accomodation. Canifor is fine if you think of it as 2 star and set your expectations..."

• by Karan S

"perfect for relaxing holiday"

• by Jennifer N

"Go on an organised tour, you can get a taster of the Island and decide what to go back to."

• by nanazoe

"Just enjoy the sun, if it ever comes out"

• by joleen

"Take your own tea making equipment and to eat out"

• by Tracey T

"if you not happy tell staff they will rectify!!"

• by drofekaw

"use the local restaurants for eating and drinking"

• by Rosemissmoss

"Only pay up to 300 pounds pp for a week with flights as it is not worth more."

• by david f

"Know how much your paying for hotel not the whole package"

• by Ihatemalta

"If you do insist on going at this time of the year. Buy yourselves a halogen heater! And an extra duvet. "

• by Hotelinspector

"Book airport taxi at least one day before"

• by Elaine 169

"Stay away if you value your health "

• by open minded.

"Dont go near it.Worthy of 2 stars if that."

• by The Wanderer AKA Termiborger

"Skip it. At all costs!"

• by Alli

"You get what you pay for!!"

• by sister

"choose another hotel "

• by AC

"A good cheap deal - nothing wrong overall"

• by c.trayhorn

"ideal for boat trips and bus rides"

Canifor Hotel is also called