Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa

94 Triq Gorg Borg Olivier, Mellieha, Island of Malta MLH 1021 Malta

Maritim Christmas

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I stayed here with my mother for 10 days over the Christmas period and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I thought the food was very good. Breakfast in particular was excellent with a lot of variety. The Spa facilities were excellent and the gym was very well equipped.

My room overlooked the main street, which was noisy particularly when buses went up the hill. This noise, however, was only noticeable when the balcony door was open.

My mother’s room was on the ‘inside’ and had a small balcony looking out above the reception desk in the Atrium. There was some noise when things were busy but again only if you had the balcony door open. The room was also smaller than mine and was sold at a cheaper rate. There was a problem with the heat in this room in that it got quite warm even when the heating was turned off. This seemed to be caused by the nature and position of the room in the hotel. There was not the ventilation you would receive from an outside room if the balcony door was open. This together with the central heating in the hotel in general did initially make the room a little uncomfortable until we used the fan I got from reception."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

Super Hotel with gr8 service

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Just returned from a one night stay at this great hotel and was really suprised. Everything was super, from the front office reception , to the room.
Over the past 4 months, I have tried out 4 other 4 star properties in Malta and without any doubt, the Maritim hotel Antonine is miles better than the others ( The Coastline, The Suncrest, Bella Vista, and the Sorreda) .
The room with ensuite was well furnished and the balcony a extra.
The fruit and local sweet basket were also great. Maybe more tv stations can be added, but what was available was ok.
The dinner was good with a very large assortment which will surely be to anyones taste.
The garden was also very lovely.
A super full hot/cold breakfast awaits you in the morning, and it will keep you satisfied for the whole day.
I was so impressed that I just booked a further two nights, and I will be able to try out their spa and other lesiure facilities.
Another thing that really impressed me was the great staff in all departments. Being respectful and well mannered really made us feel welcome.
If you want a trouble free hotel, this is the place for you.
Kevin Zammit"

• Travel date: Tue 25th of December 2007

Great hotel!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a Half term break at the Maritim Antonin and were not disappointed. I agnonized for hours over which hotel to book, finding the range of reviews for some places quite confusing, but chose the Maritim because it seemed to have fewer bad reviews.
We had 2 deluxe rooms on the fifth floor, with a garden/sea view and stayed half board. Rooms were lovely and very spacious, as was the bathroom, also very clean and well maintained during our week.
All staff were friendly and helpful, reception staff gave advice very professionally, and we were allowed to extend the stay in our room the last day for a small supplement without any problem (and we only asked that morning).
Food was fresh and plentiful at breakfast and dinner buffets. Would like to have eaten out more, but this worked best for our fussy boys! Prices for drinks were reasonable as was the minibar. Tea and coffee facilities provided in rooms welcome and replenished.
Agree that is was a shame that one of the outdoor pools wasn't heated as they were really very bracing! Some people were using them though. The indoor pool seemed almost too warm on the other hand.
Overall very happy with this hotel. Location was handy for shops and church etc. Mellieha was more lively than I was expecting, plenty of gift shops and food stores, cafes etc.
Do stay there!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of October 2007

Great Hotel

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"The hotel is right on the main street in Mellieha, and you really feel like you are right in the heart of the action. The beach is a good 20 minutes walk downhill and there is a regular bus to bring you back. Hotel is lovely, food great, but we were disappointed to find that the outdoor swimming pools were not heated - apparently they aren't in the winter. Breakfast buffet was good, lots of variety, and we ate at local restaurants in the evenings. The Trattoria de Buono down the hill served the most fantastic fresh fish, as did Halfway Inn, half way down the hill. Il Mithna, up the hill, has a fantastic set menu for less than 10 pounds, including a glass of wine. Don't bother with the pizzeria in the hotel - the food is Ok but it has the atmosphere of a motorway service station. Very disappointing.

You must go to Golden Bay - the beach is lovely and we went on a fantastic boat trip to some caves where we could swin and take photos. The water park is expensive and shabby - give it a miss.

The rooms in the hotel are weel decorated, spotlessly clean and well maintained. The staff are attentive and helpful, the hotel is good value and I would recommend it."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of October 2007

Nice hotel far from the beach

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Maritime hotel is nice comfortable and professional hotel. Rooms are luxurious and stuff is friendly. Hotel is situated in the village 5 min by car from beach, but shuttle bus is available also. There is two outdoor swimming pools with clear water."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of October 2007

Exceeded all expectations

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We were travelling to Malta for a family christening & having visited the main resorts on a previous trip we were not very excited to return as Sliema was not really our kind of place. I'm a great fan of the less-developed Greek islands so wasn't overwhelmed with the more developed parts of Malta.
HOWEVER, we had a fantastic week's holiday at the Maritim Antonin in Mellieha Bay. The town is a completely different proposition to the other resorts on the island - it has more character & fewer tourists, not only that, there are some beautiful (SANDY!) beaches very near by - Paradise Bay really is paradise which is high praise from us as we are real beach bums.
So the hotel... again exceeded expectations. We just wanted a base & didn't really use the facilities but they were excellent. The great thing about this place is the quietly understated feel of a quality hotel but with some character (it's cleverly positioned both on the main street & on a valley through the town). I don't think we could have done better or asked for more."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007

Wonderful holiday

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Choosing where to stay in Malta was hard as I'd never been before and didn't know much about it either. After reading great reviews of this hotel I decided to book it! I couldn't have made a better choice! The hotel was very clean, modern and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The location was excellent. Ther beach was an easy 20 minutes walk down a hill and a short 50p bus ride back. The bus service in Malta is excellent so going on day trips is very easy, there is a stop right outside the hotel that takes you to all the main cities.

We were on a bed and breakfast rate , the breakfast buffet was very nice and well stocked. We decided to opt out of the full board offer as there was lots of places on the main street to eat. There were a couple of pub/bars on the main street as well but if you were looking for something a little more lively there was a late night bus service and taxis are a fixed price.

All in all, I had a great holiday and I would reccomend this hotel and town to anyone looking for a care-free relaxing break."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of October 2007

High Recommended Hotel

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"What can I say about the Martim that hasn't already been said? It is a fantastic hotel with very high standards and I would definitely go back there again. The food in the buffet restaurant was high quality and of a wide variety. We were on a room only basis and upgraded to half board for two days at a cost of LM8 (roughly £13.00) per person per day . We were given vouchers so we went to breakfast and dinner when we wanted so the scheme was very flexible. We also ordered room service breakfast on the day of departure which was served promptly.

We had a suite on the fifth floor which consisted of two large single beds pushed together, a separate lounge area with a dining table, sofabed, two chairs, a microwave, kettle, toaster, cutlery, plates and minibar. We had two balconies (one off the bedroom and one off the lounge) overlooking the church and sea.

I used the rooftop pool because it was quieter and there was a daily food and drinks service up there even though the rooftop bar was closed. The irish coffees in the hotel bar by reception were the best I've ever tasted and the cocktails were very good as well.

The reception staff were very helpful and when I queried a couple of charges to my account that shouldn't have been on my bill, they took them off immediately without question.

I stayed up the road at the Solana with my daughters last year and this also has a four star rating. The Maritim is far superior and I would not even entertain staying anywhere else in Mellieha.

Having visited St Julians and Sliema (and passed through Qawra), I'm glad we stayed in Mellieha as it's less busy.

Be warned though, there are still holiday ownership touts on the street in Mellieha - outside the Solana and also the Maritim. A polite "no thanks" once seems to do the trick!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of October 2007

Beautiful!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"The minute you arrive in the marbled lobby and sense the calm and serene atmosphere you will have the measure of this hotel. Very efficient in every way - all staff were so pleasant and nothing was too much trouble - a barman helped me erect no less than three parasols before I made my decision on where I would like to sunbathe - all with a smile and helpful manner for 'madam'! All food/dining experiences were first class, the outdoor dining area is delighful, pools lovely, gardens a little haven, rooms beautiful,we cannot say how much we were impressed by this hotel. A previous reviewer said the 'tunnel' (an underground link to another leg of the hotel) was smelly - its actually a quirky, marble-lined walkway - different, and as fresh as a daisy!
The resort/village is very quiet - and full, as is the rest of the island, of steep hills and endless steps to everything. We are late 40's and walk a lot, but this really caused us leg aches - you will have muscles that feel like tennis balls in your calves by day two - definately not for young children/mums with puschairs or anyone with mobility difficulties. In regard to bus trips to Gozo - dont go-zo. Nothing there but dusty villages, no shopping, lots of churches, and at 18lm each (approx 45.00 euro) a rip-off. If you must go, get a bus to the port from your resort and walk onto the ferry (cost 2lm, / 3.00 euro) and bus again at the other end. On an organised trip the bus you get on Malta does not travel on the ferry and you have to pay for your crossing as a foot passenger as well! You can do this trip for about 10 euro. Malta, regretably, is not a pretty island, far from it. It's barren and dusty and yellow - so don't expect lush greennes or anything pretty! The hotel was the highlight of our trip. Visit Valetta - it's interesting and easy to navigate. We did, however find restaurant and shop staff tourist-weary and more than a little curt. Finally, I must say that this hotel has alerted us to the maritim group, and we would seek to stay in one of their hotels again."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

Strongly recommend it!

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We had a lovely week at this hotel and found the staff, facilities and room excellent. Breakfast buffet was lavish and all fresh. The pizzarea was good but the Arches restaurant (owned by the hotel) was fantastic (very high qaulity food and service); a real experience. Both hotel bars were good and relaxing. Only 2 notes I would make for any potential visitor, is avoid the 1st floor (above the bar) and the car park is down a spiral drive and has dents all the way down; there is more than ample parking on the road. The resort had a few other good restaurants (Il Mithna up the road and Trattoria Do Buono down the road) although Giuseppes was very disappointing. Location fo the resort is at the top of the island but quite easy to access everything except for the blue grotto (at the south). Best beach was definitely Golden Bay although if you can manage the 190 steps, Ghajn Tuffieha (right by it) is quieter and in a very pretty bay."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of September 2007

Fabulous hotel and brilliant staff

Reviewed 6 months ago

"This hotel is spotless, the food is absolutely gorgeous and the staff are all friendly and helpful. Couldn't fault the hotel. The rooms were spacious, modern and clean. Never slept in a bed abroad as comfortable as this. The beds are not twins pushed together but massive lush beds. Would definitely go again and the other people we spoke to were all impressed with the food and hotel. Location was good and there is a bus stop outside the hotel to take you all over the island. Over the road was a newsagents that sold a weekly bus pass for 21 euro which allows unlimited travel. Hotel reception will help with maps and information on places of interest. "

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2017

excellent

Reviewed Tue 5th of May 2015

"Great hotel have stayed twice and after a nasty experience in another hotel have to say this was fab, great clean rooms although they clean every day i did not see the need i dont do at home , food was great although brekkie could be little warmer but omelettes cooked while you wait plenty to choose from excellent indoor pool if you time it right you get all to your self sauna and steam room included in price looked forward to returning for a month. "

• Travel date: Fri 1st of May 2015

Hotels near Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa

Stayed at Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa

• keith richard by keith richard

"Very quiet in Winter, not much going on at night "

• keith richard by keith richard

"The historical cities of Valletta and Mdina "

• hilandy by hilandy

"Amigo and Escargot on the main street, Al Ponte bistro in the hotel. Trip on the Fernandez boat. "

• Cardboard_Cockney by Cardboard_Cockney

"Restaurants - L'Amigo and Randi's in Mellieha or Zeus Greek restauant in Xemxija "

• lizziea by lizziea

"Experience the buses!! "

• lizziea by lizziea

"Mdina, great day and evening, lovely restaurants within the walls. "

• Barbara M by Barbara M

"the beautiful church "

• Joanne doncaster by Joanne doncaster

"Just enjoy it. Use the facilities. Watch the sports in the sports bar and definitely go the Italian restaurant within the hotel. "

Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa is also called