Recent stay - disappointing

Reviewed Tue 16th of August 2016

"We have just returned from staying at the Luna hotel and feel rather disappointed. Our room (superior) was basic but some small attention to detail would make a big difference to the stay. On day 4 we returned to find that our towels had yet again not been changed so we phoned down to reception. The maintenance man came up with towels but made it clear it was not his job and we should have asked housekeeping. I explained that we left the towels with the expectation that housekeeping would be in, apparantly we weren't on the system. On the subject of towels they were very thin and small with lots of threads hanging off of them.

The bathroom has a cheap toilet seat which moved each time you sat down on it and had some dubious stains on it. The shower curtain was dirty at the hem and needed boiling or binning! When you stand in the shower there is not enough clearance to have it running down over your head and there was nowhere to attach the shower head to so you had to hand hold it. If you wanted to run the water through the tap and not the shower it would keep flipping over to the shower and would judder quite noisily.

With regards to the pool I think having to pay extra for sunbed mattresses is just money grabbing and we asked the maintenance man for some parasols for shade and he said it was too windy. We said it was not acceptable to have no shade whatsoever especially for the children and he repeated too windy and walked off. We went to the beach and yes there was a breeze but amazingly all the vendors umbrellas were up and stayed up and so were the parasols in my sons hotel which was the Seabank.

We did not use the service for the roof top bar as there were no staff around but a telephone to place an order which I did use to request someone clear up a lot of crockery, food remains and glasses from previous sun bed users and they did come but 2 hours later.

A lot of the staff were pleasant but just not great at customer care. Cutlery and crockery were always running out and you had to go and ask staff or linger for ages. The food was poor quality in comparison to the hotel we stayed in last year on the same basis and the same star rating. We ended up paying to have lunch as our main meal. A splinter of chicken bone was found in my cordon bleu one night and we reported it to the waitress and she never said a word.
We gave up waiting for someone to clear our plates etc and would take them inside to tables.

When we booked in we were advised that for a top up fee we could use the a la carte dining but when we asked a senior waiter he said this was not the case.

The kettle took around 9 minutes to boil. The fridge was dirty inside the door shelves and the door often would not shut properly and the ice box compartment badly needed defrosting.
The apartment door had to be pulled firmly shut or it did not close properly and securely.

There were no facilities to air towels etc but due to apartment position the towels never dried properly on balcony. My son's top blew on to the roof below and the staff did retrieve it for us. The reception staff were very helpful, especially the young trainee member and a lad called Ben.
We would not recommend a stay at this hotel currently but some changes would improve it considerably."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of August 2016

great holiday

Reviewed Fri 15th of November 2013

"We visited the Luna complex in Sept, we arrived at 4 in the morning to a very warm and friendly welcome, our accommodation was basic but very adequate, we stayed half board and our meals were great, themed nights every night, all the staff were friendly. We were being picked up at midnight and although we had to book out of our room for 11am we did not have to leave the hotel until our bus arrived. We are going back again in July 2014. "

• Travel date: Fri 15th of November 2013

Sep/Oct 2013

Reviewed Thu 31st of October 2013

"Have stayed here many many times and each time it was fantastic. Very friendly helpful staff and management. Very clean rooms [although a bit dated] We will be back again and again."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of October 2013

Dirty, nasty rooms. Kitchen awful, bathroom never cleaned.

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"This hotel is all show. The main areas - lounge, dining room, bars, reception were all clean and nicely presented. BUT go to the rooms and they are cheap, dirty and nasty. The sheets and towels are grey. We had no bedspreads. The pillows were cheap and nobbly. The kitchen equipment was only just enough - 3 of everything no more. The beds are chipboard on top of a frame. The toilet was stained and dirty and the shower would only wet you if you shoved the plug under the shower head. The floors were never swept there is a layer of dust or grime on it that was there all week so my feet never felt clean. We overlooked a very busy main road and were on the first floor so that people walking past could just look in. If you opened the balcony doors you were assaulted by noise from the street so we felt like prisoners in our room when we were there. I hated this hotel and will never go back there. "

• Travel date: Sun 21st of October 2012

disapointed

Reviewed Wed 26th of September 2012

"if you get put in block 5 ,run the rooms are disgusting and dirty,after complaining we were moved to a better room but very basic ,what u see ain t what u get,no way is this 3 star hotel ,it is a 2 star minimum."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of September 2012

absoulutely fab

Reviewed Fri 18th of May 2012

"Well what can I say except a fantastic stay.

I stayed from 2nd -12th may with a friend and we have had the most fantastic holiday in the past 20 years.

The staff are amazing and will go out of their way to help you. Amy, Joe, Paul, Sinead, Sam, Mr Galea and Mr Borg are the best.

We booked for self catering and although the room was basic the views were fantastic and the room was spotlessly clean. We had read previous reviews about the linen not being changed regularly, so was happy and surprised when the towels and bedding were changed every 2days.

We ate regaularly in the bar and the food was out of this world, big thumbs up to the chef.

The roof top pool was the best, a bit of a breeze and quiet area as the kids pool is on the ground floor

I wanted a quiet holiday and knew the area very well from previous visits, and this accomodation was fantastic.

Thanks for a good time all"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2012

fantastic

Reviewed Mon 4th of July 2011

"on arrival we were greated warmly by AMY at reception who made us feel welcome as we arrived 2.5 hours early than our check-in time we were soon informed by AMY who came to find us that our room was ready early.although our room was basic it was clean spacious and bright with a fantastic view of the bay.all staff at the LUNAR were warm friendly and gave excellent customer service including the on site supermarket evening meals were buffet style or ala-carte the food was excellent and varied inlcuding the poolside snack bar come out of the hotel and turn right and within a 5min easy walk you are at the beach if fit enough come out of the hotel and turn left and take a 20min uphill stroll and you are at the village or catch a local bus just past the village to the locals supermarket called SHOPPERS where you can purchase a delicious whole cooked chicken with various flavours while also enjoying the superb views we would definately go back we have never experienced such great customer service from ALL staff members we are frequent travellers and we would certainly rate the complex as a 4 star and we will definately be going back.(HAPPY DAYS)"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2011

First complaint about a hotel ever, don't waste your hard-earned cash!

Reviewed Wed 29th of September 2010

"I have never made a complaint before about a hotel, so let this be the first and that is the only thing I can truly thank the Luna Holiday Complex hotel for. So let’s cover the cleaning which I know a number of reviewers have made a point about already. If you don’t know already, bacteria can take only a day or two to develop and is accelerated in conditions higher than 25’C. Our room was cleaned once in four days, which meant a stinky bin, dirty floor, dirty bed linen and dirty towels. This probably explained the higher than usual number of flies that congregated in our hotel room.

Second point to be made was the service (or lack of) I received when I had given to the one of the staff at the hotel reception some change in the form of a mixture of bronze and gold Euro coins (our equivalent of 1p & 2p mixed with some 10p, 20p & 50p). This was just a one off, not a regular occurrence of me trying to be a nuisance. All I wanted to do was lose the excess bit of weight in my pocket by paying to use the internet facility in their hotel lobby. After bringing out his impressively moulded plastic coin holder, standing beautifully at a 45 degree angle to the user, with enough change to provide me a good day on Brighton’s vast array of amusement machines, I was told to go to the nearest coffee shop and change these annoying bits of bronze into gold so that it was more convenient for them to handle, they obviously had no patience. Whatever happened to customer service? Well there practically wasn’t any at this place, believe me, I am quite easy to please and have a high tolerant level.

As most people do, I have saved the best till last. This was a lovely prologue of what disappointment was to follow later in our holiday. It all started once upon a time on the internet where I booked a holiday (10 days, self catering), easy peasy! Got to the hotel, booked in and was told that “we have been assigned to bed & breakfast!” Lovely, but I don’t want to fork out the money on your breakfast (all to respect), I’ve booked self Catering for a reason... I’m budgeting. With 11 Euros (breakfast for 2 per day) I can get enough food to last two people breakfast and lunches for two days. “No, No you’ve been placed onto our B&B list. Ok, if you insist”. Sounded like a good deal at the time, but in actual fact I took me back to Egypt, where the locals would do literally anything to squeeze an extra bit of dime out of you in any fashionable way possible. Well Luna Complex done this there way, it later occurred to them after one breakfast day later that it was a mistake on their part for placing us onto the B&B list. “Oh well, let’s not grieve. I was after the SC and not B&B anyway, I’m sure they would let this go with all good intentions. Ur... but you gotta pay for that breakfast. Wait just one moment” I say to the receptionist, you mean we gotta pay for your mistake?” Just like a politician, they steered the answer in all directions until you was left questioning your own question, asking yourself if you’ve said the right thing or not. I payed the money after a bit of tug of war of course, but I didn’t speak to any of the receptionists for the remainder of my holiday, thanks for dampening the spirits.

Apart from that, Malta was great, the buses, Gozo, cathedrals, food, history, geology, weather, beaches, swimming in the sea every day, snorkelling, the scooter me and my girlfriend hired, the pictures we took, oh and the local beer. Yep I truly and thoroughly recommend Malta, with the exception of our hotel of course. Do not use your good hard earned cash on this place, trust me, I have been too many parts of Africa, Asia, S & N America and Europe. This is the first complaint ever that I have made about a hotel, do you really think I enjoyed spending the last 40 minutes of my time compiling a complaint like this. NO! I got better things to do, so take my advice if you want them stories which you bring back from holidays to stay perfectly in tune, and book someplace else!

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2010

Improved service

Reviewed Wed 1st of September 2010

"Obviously the complex has taken on board previous comments.

Originally booked two single apartments. On arrival we were offered an 'upgrade' to a two double bedroom apartment with seaviews, in return we were given free breakfasts each day.

Room was at the top of the block and therefore hot - extra fans provided with no problem. After two days we were moved to a first floor double, which was cooler.

Whilst some of the pool chairs needed to be replaced the general air of the place was one of care and concern that we enjoyed our stay.

Could not fault the staff. Whilst the cooking facilities were basic, they were adequate - though we did tend to eat out."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of September 2010

Shabby 2 Bed Apartments

Reviewed Thu 29th of October 2009

"On arrival we were pleased to note that, unlike other guests, our apartment was available. However, I then discovered that I had to haul our luggage (3 large suitcases and a pushchair) down some stairs out of the hotel complex, along a road and then up a further two flights of stairs to the room. As my wife has back problems and needed to look after our children, this left me to move our luggage on my own.

My sister, who shared a joint booking, had to move their luggage up three flights of stairs, although after complaining they had some help from the hotel maintenance staff.

Throughout the holiday, we had to climb up and down stairs with our pushchair and bags / equipment for the day. The stone / marble stairs present a hazard for young children should they fall and we had to closely watch them / hold their hands every time.

When we first entered the apartment, my wife immediately burst into tears at the sight of what was very shabby living accommodation. Specifically, the kitchen area was rusty and dirty. We had to re-clean the kitchen area and all of the crockery before we felt comfortable in even having a glass of water.

The kitchen area and the cooking devices fell significantly short of our expectations from the Direct Holidays web-site, especially for a 3 star apart hotel. Key areas of concern, included:

1)A rusty and badly corroded gas hob. Aside from the poor condition of the hob, the cupboard underneath smelt of gas. After complaining to our rep, this was supposed to have been fixed, although a background smell still appeared to be in place. For the safety of our family, I isolated the gas supply on the gas canister on our balcony every time we were not using the hob. The risks were potentially exacerbated by the fact that the ignite button did not work on the hob and instead Luna provided a box of matches.
2)The kitchen did not contain a traditional oven or grill. Instead, we had to use a dirty, freestanding microwave / grill combi. This did not work particularly well and was not suitable for cooking family meals due to its size i.e you could not cook more than one item at a time. Again, we had to clean this item thoroughly before we felt comfortable in using it.
3)The room did not have an electric toaster or kettle. We had to boil water in an old fashioned kettle on the rusty, dirty and smelly hob (refer above.)
The sink area did not have a draining area. It was clear that the work surfaces had been used to place washing up items, as the work surface contained water stains and had cracked next to the sink. In fact water seeped through the crack in the work surface. We had to place our washing up on a tea-towel to soak up any water draining from washed items.
4)The freezer compartment in the fridge did not work properly and some dairy free ice creams that we had bought were spoiled.

Similarly to the kitchen, the bathroom area was very shabby and dirty. The shower floor was mouldy and the toilet flush broke during our holiday. We had to use buckets of water to flush the toilet, although this was fixed by maintenance after we complained.

The room did not have air conditioning and we were therefore supplied with two freestanding fans (one floor standing and another smaller side mounted). Given the time of year and heat in the rooms, I asked reception for additional fans, which they were happy only to hire to me at an additional cost (on top of an additional fee also for the use of the room safe.)

Our apartment did have a sea view, but this was unfortunately ruined by the building site in front of the sea. Further, the evening entertainment comprised of Line Dancing, songs from the 60’s and sometimes Karaoke. This was in my opinion not “ideal for families,” especially with young children. This, combined with the condition of the rooms and lack of a TV, meant that we had to leave the hotel each evening looking for family entertainment.

Overall, the condition of the aparthotel common areas, including the reception and pool areas were to a generally good standard. Also the staff were in the main friendly. However, it is clear to me that the 2 bedroom apartments are not an integral part of the complex. Aside from having to leave to hotel to get to the apartments, the condition of the rooms fell significantly short of the rest of the aparthotel. The ground floor apartments appeared to be let to local Maltese residents and holiday makers.

Having complained to Thomas Cook / Direct holidays they advised that the apartments are descibed as a "simple base" and should not be expected to be more than "basic.

Aside from the condition of the room, Malta was an enjoyable destination. Mellieha Bay had a great beach and snorkelling was fun. The buses / local transport is very manic and unreliable. If you are feeling brave on the roads, you may need to hire a car to get around. "

• Travel date: Wed 28th of October 2009

the biggest [--] hole ever!!!

Reviewed Wed 2nd of September 2009

"what can i say about this dump the place was filty the staff were crap the bar was expensive and music was rubbish they didnt even change towels daily or clean our room we were put n a cubboard first and had to move i wouldnt put my dog in it and we left a day early and we were with friends the staff harrased our friends for a extra €100 after we left sayn we owed it for air con!!! scumbags!!! i would never recommend this place to anyone only wish we didnt stay the 6 nights and walked down the road and stayed in a nicer apartment compllex,, paula the receptionist is a wagon!!!!!!if -1 was on my rating they deserve it mellia is lovely spot enjoyed every other aspect of holiday pope eyes beach was brillentbut here.there was group of 20 in total on holiday and in mixed accomadation but we got the worst but was the most expensive!!!!the dublin girl in da bar needs a shower. i wish i read the reviews before i went!!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of September 2009

would not reccomend this hotel

Reviewed Wed 2nd of September 2009

"me and my partner stayed at luna apartments for a week, our first impressions of the hotel were good as the reception seemed very clean, spacious and modern so we had high expectations of the room. The room itself was okay, nothing special and as we were self catering we were provided with a kitchenette which to our dissapointment had a lack of appliances to cook with. The beds were very hard and uncomfortable and i never got a decent nights sleep. We soon discovered that the cleaning of the rooms was very uncommon and during our 7 night stay the cleaner only cleaned our room once. therefore we didnt recieve any clean towels, our bins were overflowing and our room felt filthy!
i would never stay at this hotel again. "

• Travel date: Tue 1st of September 2009

Hotels near Luna Holiday Complex

Top traveller tips for Luna Holiday Complex

• rachieshroom by rachieshroom

"guissepies restaurant. The english rose cruise to blue lagoon "

• Leelaka by Leelaka

"I would definitely recommend Valetta, Blue Lagood and the Grand Harbour Tours for trips. "

• Anon by Anon

"give it a try, do not be put off by past postings "

• Hummingbird 1980 by Hummingbird 1980

"Love Malta, but do your hotel research first if you want to return without any disappointing stories "

• hotspurs by hotspurs

"take a book sit back relax and enjoy "

• loured by loured

"worth upgrading to sea view although country view are nice also "

• Celia L by Celia L

"take advantage of all the trips from the waterfront, and the ambience of the pool side dining. [they even let us have a pool party for our 9yr grandson!] "

• linny402003 by linny402003

"Would like to be offered a single room for the last night when not being picked up until early the following morning "

• BMizzi by BMizzi

"Go self catering and eat at the many local restaurants. "

Luna Holiday Complex is also called