View from our Sea View Rooms & Rooftop / Deck Area

Good

Sub-standard 2 Star Facilities & Services at best: No Value for money at all.

Reviewed 25th November 2014

"What a nightmare to stay in this hotel. I have no idea how they ever managed to get a rating of four stars given the standard of their uncomfortable unhealthy beds that feel like they are made of straw and are certainly NOT recommended for people with any kind of Orthopaedic requirements or complications as you end up with a bigger problem after one night in their beds. Then there is the absence of a complimentary kettle, mugs and daily tea and coffee supplies despite the cost of their accommodation being that of other 4 star hotels who offer these as a standard inclusive facility for all their guests. You can be sure you will be expected to pay extra EU's (daily), should you request a kettle and mugs and even MORE if you require tea and/or coffee to accompany same. No value for money there. This hotel also does not enforce any degree of acceptable noise limits when guests like that of MHSA Students spending the week-end, get out of hand or noisy and keep other guests awake until after midnight and into the early hours of the morning by screaming, laughing, shouting, moving furniture around without picking it up off the floor, therefore failing to show the required consideration and respect for other guests around them. What an unruly bunch of disrespectful students with uncivilized upbringing's. Any hotel hosting this bunch can expect to flush their reputation and future business down the toilet guaranteed. And don't bother complaining to Management as NO constructive action will get taken and you will waste your breath. I definitely recommend you take your business elsewhere and never consider staying at this hotel as it’s not worth the PAIN & DISCOMFORT for what you pay for your stay unless you enjoy being uncomfortable and staying in a disruptive environment. Moreover, their toilets in their rooms need to be PUMPED before flushing so totally ineffective and no tissues are supplied in the bathrooms either. The buffet breakfast was so disorganized that we ended up waiting in a 15 min. queue before being served due to waiting for people to receive customized omelets, we couldn't help ourselves either so by the time we sat down our food was cold and we sat in an unventilated dining area that was full of smoke to the point that my eyes started burning. 2 star hotel at best. No value for money, even the "Pineapple" labelled juice ended up being an unappetizing grapefruit flavor... Last but not least, the air con in our room didn't work.... What a CON. NEVER AGAIN. "

• Travel date: 25th November 2014

Forget 4 Star - 2 star services at BEST

Reviewed 26th November 2014

"What a nightmare to stay in this hotel. I have no idea how they ever managed to get a rating of four stars given the standard of their uncomfortable unhealthy beds that feel like they are made of straw and are certainly NOT recommended for people with any kind of Orthopedic requirements or complications as you end up with a bigger problem after one night in their beds. Then there is the absence of a kettle, mugs and complimentary daily tea and coffee supplies despite the cost of their accommodation being that of other 4 star hotels who offer these as a standard inclusive facility for all their guests. This hotel also does not enforce any degree of acceptable noise reduction when customers get out of hand or noisy as we were kept awake until after midnight on the first night of our stay, by people moving chairs and tables without picking them up on the floor above us whilst organizing the seating format for a conference being held on their 6th floor over the week-end. Oh and you can be sure you will be expected to pay extra EU's (daily), should you request a kettle and mugs and even MORE if you require tea and/or coffee to accompany same and don't bother complaining about noise levels of screaming and shouting guests and other activities taking place as NOTHING will get done and you will waste your breath. I definitely recommend your take your business elsewhere and never consider staying at this hotel as it’s not worth the PAIN & DISCOMFORT for what you pay for your stay unless you enjoy being uncomfortable and staying in a disruptive environment. Moreover, I don't know HOW this hotel acquired its 4 stars since the toilet in our room had to be PUMPED before flushing, totally ineffective and no tissues in the on-suite bathroom either. The buffet breakfast was so disorganized that we ended up waiting in a 15 min. queue before being served due to waiting for people to receive omelets, we couldn't help ourselves either so by the time we sat down our food was cold so we sat in an unventilated dining area that was full of smoke that my eyes started burning. 2 star hotel at best. No value for money, even the "Pineapple" labelled juice ended up being an unappetizing grapefruit flavor... Last but not least, the air con in our room didn't work.... What a CON. NEVER AGAIN. Calypso Hotel Management should take the time to go and stay at the San Antonia Hotel in St. Paul's Bay Malta, and learn about what basic standards of a 4-star service and hotel amenities are meant to be."

• Travel date: 22nd November 2014

What a total nightmare

Reviewed 26th November 2014

"What a nightmare to stay in this hotel. I have no idea how they ever managed to get a rating of four stars given the standard of their uncomfortable unhealthy beds that feel like they are made of straw and are certainly NOT recommended for people with any kind of Orthopedic requirements or complications as you end up with a bigger problem after one night in their beds. Then there is the absence of a kettle, mugs and complimentary daily tea and coffee supplies despite the cost of their accommodation being that of other 4 star hotels who offer these as a standard inclusive facility for all their guests. This hotel also does not enforce any degree of acceptable noise reduction when customers get out of hand or noisy as we were kept awake until after midnight on the first night of our stay, by people moving chairs and tables without picking them up on the floor above us whilst organizing the seating format for a conference being held on their 6th floor over the week-end. Oh and you can be sure you will be expected to pay extra EU's (daily), should you request a kettle and mugs and even MORE if you require tea and/or coffee to accompany same and don't bother complaining about noise levels of screaming and shouting guests and other activities taking place as NOTHING will get done and you will waste your breath. I definitely recommend your take your business elsewhere and never consider staying at this hotel as it’s not worth the PAIN & DISCOMFORT for what you pay for your stay unless you enjoy being uncomfortable and staying in a disruptive environment."

• Travel date: 21st November 2014

poor quality room, very poor service

Reviewed 21st March 2014

"Hotel looks very nice outside but the room quality was very poor. the staff was not helpful at all, we were treated as unwanted guest. some how we spend 2 days there and were glad to leave the hotel. we used Travel republic to book the hotel, the are equally bad."

• Travel date: 21st March 2014

Myself and my young Daughter stayed here...

Reviewed 29th August 2008

"Myself and my young Daughter stayed here last summer and it was excellent all round. The staff are lovely and nothing is too much trouble for them. The hotel is spotless. We only booked b and b but would have booked in half board after tasting the food on offer. Really high standards all round. Marselform is gorgeous and full of lovely bars and restaurants. It is a bit pricey to stay here but well worth it trust me. I would go back anytime."

• Travel date: 29th August 2008

LOVED IT !!!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"My partner & I stayed at this hotel in Aug 2005 and would say it is the best hotel in this area, It was expensive but was well worth the money, the staff are lovely and very helpful. The breakfast is to die for, although I am not a big eater myself there was so much choice, everything you could wish for and more. We only ate in the hotel resturant once which was the evening we arrived as it just seemed easier. The food and service was very good, it is a little more expensive but we enjoyed what we had. The hotel is in a great location with plenty of resturants on the doorstop. We had a car so mainly went further afield in the day & evenings, but there is enough here to keep most people happy. The little cafe/bar under the hotel was lovely and pretty cheap we had a drink there most evenings when we got back and its nice just to sit there and people watch. We only used the hotel pool once, there were loads of empty beds and its views over the bay are lovely. The only thing I would say is, we booked a room with a side seaview but there was no view it looked onto another building so it was a view of a brick wall. I would def book one of the hotel rooms at the front of the hotel with great sea views next time. Also we were expecting a balcony but it was just a terrace you could stand on but there were no table or chairs so unable to sit outside on an evening. Overall a really nice hotel, we are planning on going back in 2008."

• Travel date: 12th October 2006

Definately recommend this hotel and Marslaforn

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at The Calypso Hotel in September. We highly recommend it and there are a few things that may help if you are planning to go there. We were allocated a room on the 5th floor but had to be moved to the 4th because of the intermittant droning from the AC units on the roof [you may not notice the noise but we did!]. The room we had was lovely and sheets/towels/room done daily. All staff were polite and helpful. The terrace is nice with a lovely view across the bay but the pool is small and if it gets windy make sure the parasols are tied down as they can go flying! Food was excellent in the hotel and there is so much choice for breakfast! Likewise all the food in the local restaurants and they all have a really wide variety of wines. We can highly recommend Erizo de Mar, Otter's and Il Kartel in particular. You get large portions of food everywhere ! Somewhere really special we went for my birthday was Auberge Ta Frenc [pronounced French] that is a lovely restaurant just outside Marslaforn set in a 17c farmhouse. Though we don't have children it appears that they are all welcome in all the restaurants. The cafe under the Calypso is nice [fab cakes!]. Beach and swimming areas are close and nice and safe. The buses are very cheap and old but they are an experience! One thing worth mentioning if you stay at Calypso ..do not book a taxi through the hotel..it is exorbitant. It cost us four times as much as if we had booked direct. We hired a car for a couple of days which is recommended. Make sure you get AC as it can get humid. Some of the drivers are manic and the roads are not good but the churches are absolutely beautiful [particularly The Rotunda in Xewkija, St George's Basilica in Victoria and Ta'Pinau]. Xlendi is a nice little resort and we had good food there. We went to Malta for the day and visited Valletta which is a bit of a journey but worth it. There are a lot of steps so not good for anyone who can't walk easily but if you do go, try to see St. Johns Co Cathedral. Even if you are not religious this is truly spectacular and was a highlight for me personally. We took a boat trip to Comino for the day which is lovely for swimming but gets busy. My husband recommends Atlantis Hotel Dive Centre and was really pleased with all the dives that he did on Gozo. All in all The Calypso is lovely and Marsalforn is quiet but gets busier at weekends. There are no clubs/discos so its perfect if you want a nice relaxing break. We thoroughly recommend it!"

• Travel date: 29th September 2006

Well worth it

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"Excellent hotel, very polite staff, lovely location if you want to relax away from a main resort. Very good breakfast and good restaurants nearby. Roof terrace is nice to have a drink and look over the bay though it does get windy and the pool is small. Overall would not hesitate to go back."

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

Wonderful Hotel!!!

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"I am not sure when the previous reviewer stayed at the Calypso, but my experience was completley different. I was there from 12-19 August 2005. The hotel was easily a 4 star hotel. I do say that lightly. The service was wonderful and the hotel was clean and in top condition. Our room had great air conditioning, mini bar, hair dryer, etc. You could really tell that it had been recently renovated. Our maid did a great job of keeping the room clean on a daily basis. The room was cleaned quickly everyone morning (usually when we were having breakfast). Marsaforn was a great location. The beach isn't the best but the location is great for a selection of restaurants. We would recommend Il Cartell and Travolita. They were great! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyohne I know. We would go back there again."

• Travel date: 21st August 2006

Aweful - not recommended

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"Aweful hotel whose parts are under major construction. There are workers banging before 7am every day. Bathroom drainage leaked from room above leaked into our room along the bathroom walls. The cleaners have opened and tested my wife's cosmetics and perfume. Not easy to find a good hotel in the area. Cannot trust these people! No service - 100% rude."

• Travel date: 7th August 2006

Best place to stay on Gozo

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"The location is great and the view over the water is excellent. The breakfast is the best you will find in Malta. We stayed at a more expensive hotel on Malta that bragged about their"extended English breakfast". They could not compare with the variety and quality of the food at the Calypso. If you have teenagers this is where to feed them a good breakfast that will not break the bank. We drove all over Gozo for 4 days and I did not see a hotel we would rather have stayed at."

• Travel date: 30th June 2006

Need to Relax?

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Have just spent a week at the Calypso Hotel, Marsalforn Gozo, with my daughter and two young grandchildren. If you want a quiet relaxing holiday this holiday is a must! The hotel has got to be the cleanest and most friendly hotel I have ever stayed in. Nothing is too much trouble for the chambermaids or the waiting staff at breakfast time, and the breakfast was excellent too! Will be sure to go again."

• Travel date: 6th June 2006

Hotels near Hotel Calypso

Top traveller tips for Hotel Calypso

• by Cheri S

"Do NOT stay at the Calypso Hotel"

• by Cheri S

"Don't stay at the Calypso if you want to remain happy and comfortable"

Hotel Calypso is also called