Hotel View

Good

The Grand Hotel is anything but grand. A...

Reviewed 8th April 2008

"The Grand Hotel is anything but grand. Actually it is a shabby run-down hotel. Rooms need to be refurbished,bed linen and towels need to be replaced. It is not acceptable to offer threadbare beach towels en lieu of bathtowels. Breakfast is acceptable,though no fresh juices are available. Bacon consists of strips of fat and gristle.Stewed tea comes from massive teapots and is often cold. The coffee is weak and has a burned taste. Dinner is somewhat better,though portions are hopelessly small....close to children's portions in fact!! This is not a 4-star hotel by any manner of means....in most European countries it woud struggle to make 2-star status Never again!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 8th April 2008

Grand is great

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"Great hotel. We stayed for 4 nights off season in November. We got an off season special offer with free upgrade to superior class rooms with sea view and a big terrasse. All staff members were friendly and very service minded. A single thing we suggest you avoid is the room service burger. Grey and tasteless... Really strange considering the great quality of everything else. Order the club sandwich instead!"

• Travel date: 7th May 2007

Outstanding hotel but beware the plight of Gozo's birds

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"The Grand hotel offers grand style, space and service for a very reasonable price. We stayed for 2 weeks in March, and found the food outstanding in quality and variety, the rooms incredibly spacious, and the staff extremely helpful. The rooms that face the harbour are the largest, with large balconies as well, and it's worth the extra price to have one of these. The hotel is fairly small and quite old, so has an intimate feel and authentic style that is lacking in many modern resort hotels. My only disappointment was that there is little to do in the evenings, in Mgarr, and I guess when we stayed, in March, there was even less choice than at other times, with being dark early, and cool in the evenings. We went for a few walks but Mgarr did not have a great deal to offer at that time of the year, after dark. The hotel does have a small cinema but it only operates 2 nights a week, and of course you are restricted to one choice of movie. In the daytime though there are many beautiful walks to be had using the hotel as a base - along the coast or inland. However, beware going to Gozo if you are a bird lover, as the cruelty of the hundreds of hunters who trap small birds and use them as decoys to aid their hunting is quite shocking. Thousands and thousands of migratory birds are slaughtered every year by these hunters, and you cannot avoid seeing both evidence of the hunters' 'hobby' and the trapped birds. I was not aware of this problem before going to Gozo - Malta is the same incidentally - and I could not recommend it to anyone due to my environmental concerns. Apart from this issue, I would certainly recommend the hotel."

• Travel date: 24th November 2006

Wonderful rest in great hotel

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"A wonderful week in a wonderful hotel. Following advice from other reviewers, we upgraded directly with very helpful reception staff, who also arranged taxi pickups and ferry transfers. Upon arrival, welcome drinks and full explanation of amenities before being personally taken up to our room. The room was extremely comfortable and large with large bathroom with plenty of towels, robes, slippers and toilettries. Very comfortable beds, sofa. two armchairs and table, leading to large balcony with loungers, table and chairs. The view was over to Comino and Malta with the ferry terminal just below the hotel. So well built that hard to hear guests above walking or flusing toilets. Service in the hotel from the room maid, reception,dining and bar staff was excellent, always cheerful and ready to advise or arrange. The pool was very clean and the pool loungers very comfortable. Snacks were brought up to the pool and the wine list very good. Free coach to Victoria and the beach are also provided although local buses were plentiful, cheap and great fun. When the weather was inclement, the room was very comfortable to be in and the food was varied and very good. A great place to relax in with high standards of service. Well worth visiting and would return."

• Travel date: 24th October 2006

Second time visit

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"A pleasant place to stay on the wonderful island of Gozo. Seaviews rooms are large and have excellent views over the harbour and across to Comino and Malta The staff are very friendly and attentive. The food is consistently good and value for money. Alterations and large additional building was work-in-progress during our visit - hope this extra capacity doesn't spoil the feel of the hotel. The 'original' hotel could do with some touching up to keep it at 4* standard. Plenty of good quality restaurants in walking distance of the hotel (fish, pasta and Cantonese). Would also recommend a visit to the Maji restaurant in Victoria - outstanding service, food and location (over the rooftops of the capital)"

• Travel date: 22nd October 2006

Lives up to it's name

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"The hotel is a very short walk from the ferry, but the hotel arranged to come and meet us and help with our bags. We were welcomed with a cold drink, a very useful explaination of meal times, hotel amenities, trips etc. Room was very large, huge comfy bed, tea & coffee. Also had a large terrace with sun loungers and table and chairs, just perfect for watching the boats in the habour. Housekeeping was very good, thorough clean every day. Beach towel are also provided. Swimming pool a bit on the small side, but plenty of umbrellas and loungers around the pool. Food is restaurant was of a good standard, both the reasonably priced set menu and the a la carte. Staff were friendly, helpful and seem genuinely pleased to stop and help. Service was quick and was always with a smile. Hotel runs a free mini bus into Victoria each morning and also to Ramla Bay in the afternoon. There is some building work going on, but it did not interfere with our holiday at all. We would certainly stay here again."

• Travel date: 16th October 2006

Value excellent

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Modern hotel carefully built around old house. We were upgraded to a large sea-view room and the views of the harbour and distant Malta were certainly perfect. Extremely comfortable bedroom and bathroom. Excellent dining room and food quality. Service very good, particularly in the dining room. Easy bus transport to Citadel or ferry to Malta. Very good value for money."

• Travel date: 15th October 2006

Beware this rip off

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"Beware of this hotel. We have just returned after a week there. The hotel plays the old game of downgrading the room you have booked and claiming that the travel agent has only paid bottom price. If you want to upgrade you have to pay in sterling (in my case over £85. You cannot talk to a manager as they are protected by the rudest most unhelpful receptionists who trained at the Dachau charm school. This is the only hotel in the port and they are able to rip guests off at will. Views are great and the food ok (which has to be since there are many better eating places within walking distance. BUT BEWARE"

• Travel date: 18th September 2006

Great Views- Brooks Essex UK

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"I stayed at the Grand during the Festa of Ghajnsielem, which is only a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. I booked a standard sea view room. The room was much smaller than expected, and my one complaint was there were no drawers to put your clothes away, only a wardrobe. I advise you to take a superior sea view room or to book one of the newly built rooms that will overlook the pool and harbour. The restaurant served excellant food. The newly built swimming pool is positioned on the 4th floor. The hotel should consider putting a bar/snack bar in this area. Food and drink has to be brought up from the ground floor, so you can be waiting quite some time even for 1 drink !. My overall stay was good, the position is excellant and the views are fantastic looking down at the busy harbour. As a travel agent I would recommend you booking the Grand, and would have no worries sending my clients here."

• Travel date: 10th September 2006

Grand Hotel Fantastic

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"We have just arrived back from Mgarr in Gozo and stopped at the Grand Hotel. It was a wonderful hotel with fantastic views over the harbour. There is some building work going on both in the hotel and at the harbour but it is all very well contained and did not spoil our stay. The staff at the Grand were so friendly and courteous including the bar staff and the cleaners. Any request that we made was granted immediately. The cleaner used to bring us jugs of fresh milk to our rooms every day as we didn`t like powdered and our rooms were kept spotless with clean sheets and towels every day. The bar staff have a good sense of humour and again, no request, no matter how bizarre, is ignored, inlcuding hot chocolate and coctails at midnight! The food in the restaurant and in all of the restaurants in Gozo, is outstanding. Food and drink are cheap as are most products. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. The only thing I would say is to not go in the peak period as it is too hot to walk anywhere. Although the journey is tiring - an hour from the airport and half an hour on the ferry - the views are worth it. If you want remote with fantastic scenery, food and people, then give it a go."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2006

Loved the Grand Hotel

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel for a week at the beginning of June and thought it was excellent. They have refurbished the pool area which is quite a small area but still very nicely done. There is still some building work going on to extend the hotel but it did not have a negative effect on our stay there. The hotel is very close to the ferry and we received welcome drinks on arrival. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and a porter brought our bags to the room for us. The room was a very good size (we had a country view with balcony) and nicely decorated. I think I would recommend paying a little extra for a superior sea view though as those rooms had a magnificent view over the harbour. The room was cleaned daily and the hotel offers other services such as dry cleaning and laundry service. They have a complimentary bus to Victoia and Ramla Bay baech which has to be booked in advance. The hotel offered a wide selection of food to cater for all tastes and the breakfast is buffet style with lots of choice. I enjoyed my stay and my time on Gozo although I would recommend hiring a car if you are staying on Gozo as it isn't easy to get around on foot."

• Travel date: 7th June 2006