About The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Good

fabulous

Good
Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I booked the above and was very worried after reading the reviews afterwards. However, they were unfounded. The hotel was fabulous, the staff were faultless, the room just lovely, the location couldn`t be better. Yes the food was only good...you could eat much better at heston blumenthals, or raymond blancs for the same price and recieve the 3 satr michelin food....BUT you wouldnt be in venice, you wouldn`t be able to walk around the city afterwards with your mouth open in amazement. Personally i`d rather have 1 meal in the gritti and be able to wander the amazing streets of venice afterwards, rather than have 2-3 equally nice meals in Bracknell, birmingham or leeds."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of November 2005

Delightful and romantic

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"My wife and I stayed prior to christmas in Dec'03. We were treated exceptionally well and the room was delightful, although a little tired. The view of the Grand Canal was fantastic and room size more than adequate. Bathrooms very 1960's but clean and very spacious. Food was above average, but not to the standard we would expect for the grade and price of the hotel. I would reccomend the Gritti for a romantic stay for people who have tired of the sleek and technical boutique hotels, or brass & glass of the modern chains."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of October 2005

A Hotel Living in the Past

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I have to agree with previous reviews about this hotel being past its prime and living off its reputation. After seeing the pictures on the Starwood website I too expected opulence and luxury. I was sadly disappointed.

The lobby is lovely and the staff is helpful and efficient even if they are not overly friendly or warm. And the location is good. But the room was not at all what I expected. It was stuffy and generally uncomfortable. The bathroom was tiny. The bedding was like sandpaper. It was as if the room had not been updated or spruced up since the hotel's hayday.

I think if it had been inexpensive I would have felt ok about staying here. Understand it wasn't a bad place, it just wasn't what you'd expect given the hotel's image as a luxury hotel. We used points and still felt it was completely overpriced. I would not bother to stay at this hotel again if I returned to Venice."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of September 2005

Excellent Location, Elegant and Graceful

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Gritti Palace is an ideally situated hotel near all the sites and sounds of Venice.

The concierge Service is very helpful..... Thanks Enzo !

Beautiful hotel, and grand rooms and bathrooms. Only complaint would be the expensive breakfast which we did not have at Euro 50 per person. Nice Cafes closer and breakfast in the Florian is cheaper!

Highly recommended...."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2005

Beware Gritti Palace

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Gritti Palace for a special once-in-a-lifetime trip. We thought it would be the best hotel in Venice - wrong. The photos on the website of the rooms are very deceptive - try for example Room 314. It's a 3 star room (at best) for a 6 star price. They amazingly describe it as a "Grand Deluxe" room.
Everything from lack of computer connections to 1950s joinery is excused by the line "the hotel is 500 years old".
The hotel is mind-numbingly expensive and, notwithstanding some nice antiques, way overpriced."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of May 2005

Neglected Hotel Living on Past Reputation

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My husband and I wanted to vacation in Venice again after a pause of five years. In former times we had stayed at the Metropole and once in Il Palazzo, but good freinds of ours recommended the Gritti, raving on and on about the Gritti's grandeur, luxury, one-of-a-kind dining, etc., etc., etc., to the point that I thought by staying anywhere else we would be cheating ourselves. So, even though our friends had not stayed at the Gritti recently, my husband and I decided to take them up on their suggestion and plunk down 620 EUROs per night for a deluxe double room. One week after our stay, I am still shaking my head. Sure the lobby and public areas were opulent (except for the dining terrace facing the lagoon, which featured the same plastic garden chairs as on the Hotel Danielli terrace making me think that the Starwood chain got a bargain on plastic chairs), but our rather large room was a complete letdown. It had been remodeled but only in a half-hearted way. The Murano chandelier and marble bath were there, but the expected silk wallpaper and fine furniture and Venetian decoration were missing making the space look almost empty. Plus what furniture there was was old but not antique and had been repainted in the manner of my grandfather for our family cottage on the lake. As for the breakfast on the terrace? We can laugh because ours was included in the room price, but the poor souls who shelled out 50 EUROs for cereal, yogurt, bread, a little fresh fruit and cold cuts must want to kick themsleves. Shame on Starwood. Shame, shame, shame. Despite the rather kind and helpful staff (how depressing for them to have to repeat the Starwood sales pitch day in and day out), my husband and I won't be returning to the Gritti. Worse, we will have to spoil out friends' fond memories and tell the truth -- Starwood is using Gritti's former days as a truly luxury hotel (Queen Elizabeth, Winsten Churchill, etc. were guests) to fleece their customers. What's the good news? Venice is a wonder -- fabulous and unforgettable -- and it can be experienced in all its splendour for less than half of what the Gritti charges."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of May 2005

Don't bother.

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"When I look at the photos of The Gritti Palace Hotel on your website, it looks like a great place to visit. All you see is a small, fancy looking hotel and beautiful city from afar. You don't feel the grime and stench of the canals. The service was stuffy, if not efficient. The room looked like Disneyland or Vegas cheese. The prices for everything from breakfast to drinks in the bar were laughable. The funny part is that we used airline miles to pay for our room and I still feel like I was taken. Having just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip to London, Paris, Florence and Venice, I can safely say that Venice is the fleecing capital of Europe. I felt the same way backpacking 16 years ago. Don't bother!"

• Travel date: Sat 9th of April 2005

Phenomenal Place, Great Staff

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I've written 20+ reviews for Trip Advisor, and this is the first time I've given a 5 'star' rating to a hotel.

From check in until check out, the service was nothing short of perfect. When we checked in, we said we needed an additional cot in the room. The reservation had been messed up by Starwood central reservations, so the hotel had us in a room that wouldn't have been good for a cot (too small). The front desk clerk was very apologetic, and immediately switched us to a great room on the back of the fourth floor, repeatedly apologizing that he was unable to get us in a large canal view room.

Three to four minutes after we arrived in the room, there was a knock on the door, and house keeping came in with the cot. The housekeeper left and returned in under a minute with extra towels, bathrobe, and even slippers. We hadn't mentioned anything about wanting those, but the hotel just took care of things they knew we'd need, no prodding or asking on our part.

The conceirge staff was also excellent, from the restaurant recommendations, to helping us reconcile our train tickets back to Rome and overnight accomodations to Nice.

I can't say enough good things about the staff."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of March 2005

Change the ownership/staff and it would probably improve

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Reviews of this hotel seem to vary wildly, which suggests that the overall experience there is variable. We stayed here last month and found the accommodation charming but the staff perfunctory, the admin slipshod and the catering substandard - especially given its very high price. We would not therefore regard this as 'somewhere to come home to'.

Luckily, we were on B&B terms (although they at first tried to tell us that breakfast was not included - until we produced the internet confirmation) but 50 euros for a buffet breakfast is ludicrous, especially when the coffee tastes like dishwater.

The staff had a 'Fawlty Towers' type attitude to guests, from fawning on the one hand to supercilious on the other. On checking out we had to argue that we had not used the minibar and the removal of this item was extremely grudging.

NB The references to the free launch to the Lido do not apply in winter."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of January 2005

Not worth it...

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We recently stayed at the Gritti Palace in December 2005 and let me tell you, you can spend your Euros elsewhere. We are Starwood Platinum Members who felt that the Gritti Palace was completely overrated. The room was very small, (although we did look over the Grand Canal, there are rooms that do...unlike other visitor's comments), in addition, it smelled mildewy (covered up by extremely strong room freshener), the walls were so thin that you could hear everyone's conversations in the next room and outside the hall. They even messed up on our bill, charging us for items from the mini-bar when we never touched it. The concierege was a bit uppity, however, reception was pleasant."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of January 2005