About Pensione La Calcina

• italian amenities
  • desk

Beautiful oasis in Venice

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Thank goodness for Trip Advisor that put us onto this charming little hotel in Venice. It is off the Grand Canal which was great as the city was so busy and noisy. Excellent service, lovely room although small and breakfast and dinner just right. We will be going back."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of September 2004

Far from the Maddening Crowd

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I can't imagine finding a better accomodation in Venice than La Calcina. I first visited Venice 30 years ago, and the city has changed in character so much that it's important to find a peaceful location, and La Calcina has it -- for now. First-time visitors must understand that Venice has become a major tourist destination. From my window at La Calcina, I could see all the incoming sea traffic, and I saw at least eight cruise ships enter the port during my two days in the city. These ships dump 3,000-5,000 daytrippers on the city, and the Venetians have responded by running up prices while lowering quality of services and goods (including food) delivered. La Calcina, located a 15-minute walk from St. Mark's, offers a respite from these maddening crowds. The staff at La Calcina are friendly and extremely helpful. They hold your hand during your visit. The rooms are clean, with pressed linens. If possible, get a room with a view. It's worth it to see all the boating traffic. La Piscina, the restaurant, has a somewhat limited but interesting menu and a next-door pizzeria offers a decent pie. At the risk of droning all, I highly recommend La Calcina."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of September 2004

A very charming hotel -- try to get a room with a terrace!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We loved this hotel! We stayed in Room 38 which has a large terrace and a partial view of the Guidecca Canal. It's a beautiful room with white linens, lots of windows and beautiful antiques. The staff is warm and helpful.

Breakfast was very pleasant at their canal-side terrace restaurant. We ate a dinner there -- it's a bargain at 20 euros for hotel guests for 3 courses plus one glass of wine, but we did find the food only average. Still, the view and atmosphere are very good at the restaurant. The roof-top terrace is also a wonderful perk. Sit up there, order a prosecco, and watch the strollers and the boats pass by.

We had to move to room 9 on our last day, because we added on a day & 38 was unavailable. Room 9 was dark with no terrace. If you can reserve it, try room #4. It faces the canal and has a very large terrace. The only negative we found at the hotel were the sheet-like bath towels."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of September 2004

Bellisimo

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"What a great place! We loved La Calcina. The hotel is so quaint -- with three floors and the neat decorations in the rooms. I loved our balcony, too. I began my morning there each day , reading a magazine or newspaper that I picked up and sipping my coffee.

I loved going to breakfast at La Calcina and the wait staff were friendly and knowledgeable. They appreciated our efforts to speak their language. We ate lunch on their dock one day, too. The food was tasty and affordable. I loved staying at Zattiere! It has so many larger boats along its canal -- and this was fun to check out.

The Pensione is about a ten minute walk to St. Mark's Square, which we enjoyed taking because it allowed us to visit Venetian neighborhoods and restaurants. I'd definitely stay at La Calcina again. You should, too."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of September 2004

What a great place!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"My daughter and I stayed at La Calcina for four nights in July, 2004. We had high expectations based on what we'd read from many sources and were not disappointed.

The location is tops, right on the Guidecca Canal, which in our opinion is more interesting than the famed Grand Canal. You see all manner of boats on this larger canal, from vaporettos to the larger auto taxis to barges to large cruise ships. There's always some action going on. And it's only a 10- or 15-minute walk to St. Mark's and the touristy areas of San Marco.

Even if you aren't lucky enough to get a room facing the canal (which we weren't because we only booked five months ahead), you get to enjoy the Guidecca Canal with your breakfast every morning at their floating terrace restaurant. There's also a rooftop terrace that you can sign up to use for an hour to an hour and a half at a time if you want an even better view.

The food at breakfast was great, but even better is their 20-euro-per-person three course dinner served on the floating terrace. That's a special price for hotel guests and includes a glass of wine each. It was our best meal in Venice.

This was the best hotel we stayed at on our month-long trip to Europe. We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Venice."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of August 2004

Loved it!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Spent 3 nights at La Calcina in July and loved it. The best thing about the hotel is the outdoor terrace built over the Guidecca Canal. Guests can enjoy the free breakfast buffet in this lovely setting. They also offer guests a discounted dinner for 20 euros that was excellent. The hotel has a perfect location on the Guideca Canal which parallels the Grand Canal but is on the quiet side of Venice. The room was large, clean, well kept and with excellent air conditioning which was a huge plus in July. Staff was most friendly and helpful. I checked out several hotels in the area, including some 2 star hotels which cost about the same, and La Calcina (which has 3 stars) was the best. None of the others had a terrace on the canal."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of July 2004

Perfect hotel in Venice!

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"What a wonderful hotel! Lovely rooms and very quiet, this hotel was perfect for my husband and I. The breakfast was great and the restaurant was wonderful and very romantic! The hotel offers dinner at a special rate for hotel guests and the service was great! We did not experience the deposit issue- we booked with a credit card. We will be back!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2004

A quiet spot in a bustling city

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I stayed at Pensione La Calcina on several trips to Venice while researching my travel guide, Venice In Context- The Independent Traveler's Guide to Venice. (see -------------------------) While I agree with a prior TA post that the hotel's requirement of making you send a personal check to hold a deposit is very archaic, it is still a lovely and quiet place to enjoy the beauty of Venice without having to deal with the noisy crowds that pack the central tourist routes to and from St Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge. It is near the Academia Museum, and close by is the last gondola shipyard in Venice. The hotel is easy to get to as it is quite near the last stop made by the waterbus service running between the Marco Polo Airport and Venice, which makes it very convenient to get to and from the airport, especially if you are dealing with luggage! For waterbus schedules see: www.-------------------------. The rooms are small, but pleasant. There are canal-side restaurants nearby with great views."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of July 2004

Our own apartment in Venice!

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"This is a wonderful, simple little hotel in a quieter section of Venice, yet still within easy walking distance of all the main tourist areas. It's a great location. We stayed in one of the hotel's apartments located across the side canal from the main building. Nothing fancy, but it was great to have a separate living area and bedroom, plus a coffee maker. Felt like we had our own apartment in Venice, yet still could use the services of the hotel like the free breakfast. They also have a beautiful outdoor dining area on the deck out in front of the hotel. Two cautions: they do have a strange deposit policy and require you to send a personal check. Also, if you stay in one of the apartments, it can be a bit of a hassle to get your luggage over the bridge to the apartment. But once you're there, it's great! We'd stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of July 2004

Deposit ripoff

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"As charming as the hotel sounds, their policy for deposits is terrible. I had to send a personal check for $210 (US) for a one-night deposit. Unfortunately our dates changes and the hotel was unable to accommodate us, so we were told we would receive a full refund. The refund was handled through Moneygram services, and the amount I received back was $162. That means the cancelled reservation cost me $48. I called Moneygram and they said that only Euro 143 were deposited, not Euro 162, as the hotel's email told me. There were only 2 months between deposit and refund, so the exchange rate had not changed much. This system is definitely not guest-friendly, especially in this age of internet reservations and credit cards. As appealing as the hotel looked, I will not attempt to stay there--it is too high a price to pay for the possibility of changing plans, especially when the hotel guarantees a full refund."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004