Good

One of the best weekends of my life.

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I am with the US Department of State Foreign Service and have lived outside of the US for twenty years. We travel extensively, and have stayed at some of the best hotels around the world. My husband and I just visited Venice for the third time, and stayed for the first time at the Hotel Canal Grande which just opened in October. It was one of the best weekends of my life.

The hotel is located within a five-minute walk from the train station; this was an important factor for us since we were arriving from Rome (where we are currently stationed at the US Embassy there) and we planned to do a lot of shopping in Venice and thus did not want to walk a great distance back to the train station when we departed. Also, being so close to the train station, getting local "bus" transportation (i.e. water public transportation) was easy and reasonable to any part of Venice, as well as to Murano and to Burano.

The hotel does not have a sidewalk between it and the Grand Canal--from our corner room, we could have dropped a stone straight down in to the Grand Canal. The beauty of one of the most romantic views imaginable from our window--in one of the most romantic cities in the world--was perfect.

Although the room was a bit small, it was exquisitely decorated with amazing detail. The bathroom was large with a window. Lighting for reading in bed was great. There is a flat-screen TV in the rooms. Breakfast was wonderful--plentiful and beautifully presented.

Most importantly, the staff could not have been more accommodating or friendly. When we took a cocktail outside to the lobby balcony to watch the passing boats, staff immediatley brought chairs outside for us to sit down. When we requested recommendations for dinner, the staff took time to ask what we were looking for and sought to match a restaurant with what we wanted.

Internet access is available in the lobby, and I understand the rooms are connected for wireless access.

We can't wait to return to Canal Grande. If you want a beautiful, small hotel, with impeccable service, a drop-dead romantic view, and a fantastic location, you cannot go wrong choosing this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of November 2009

Opulance and style

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We spent 5 nights. For us, being close to the bus station meant we did not have to drag our bags too far. There is a vaporetti stop within 2 minutes walk from where you reach St Marks Square in 30 minutes. It is situated in a quiet square away from the thronging crowds but at the same time on the banks of the Grand Canal. The room was spacious and extremely comfortable. Breakfast was good. Our guide book said you get better value for money if you do not take breakfast in the hotel. It could not be more wrong. The dining room had a view of the Grand Canal. The marble flooring, the tapestry wallpaper and magic mirrors all added to the overall satisfaction. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I would certainly return to this hotel if visiting Venice again."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of November 2009

Far nicer than some of the top, 5 star, 'grand hotels' in Venice.

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Like most of the other reviewers here, we were originally booked at the Antiche Figure and were offered a free upgrade to the Canal Grande upon arrival, the manager (of both hotels) explaining that the Canal Grande had just opened a few weeks ago and all that was asked in exchange was a review, good or bad.

I'm happy to report that there is absolutely nothing bad to say about this hotel! The rooms are beautifully furnished and decorated in traditional Venetian style, the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms beautiful and the flat screen TVs discreetly hidden in a way I won't reveal, for fear of spoiling the surprise for future visitors!

The hotel also offers free WiFi internet access and if I have a quibble about the annoying login process, it is outside the control of the hotel, as (I know from previous visits this year) a subscription to the registration service appears to be obligatory throughout Italy now. To their credit, the hotel went out of their way to help by providing me with as many 2 hour login details as I needed.

My wife and I are frequent visitors to Venice and have stayed in every quality of hotel, including top hotels like Bauer and the Danielli but the location, modest size and especially the friendliness of the staff at the Canal Grande make it a far more attractive and welcoming proposition.

We would be happy to return in the future and can recommend it without hesitation."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of November 2009

excellent hotal

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"we were transferred to this hotel like other reviewers on here, and it was fantastic. Clean, excellent rooms and very good staff with just the right amount of breakfast made for an enjoyable stay. There is a vaporetta stop a block down the canal so access isn't too bad, but I guess for some it could be a bit of a slog getting cases etc to the hotel. we had no problem, and as I say there is a vaporetta stop close by. Would definately stop there again, and recommend it to others"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of November 2009

This is the PERFECT HOTEL

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My wife and I recently visited Venice while in Europe for the first time. We arrived a day early, and did not have a place to stay for the first night. The staff at the Hotel Antiche Figure were very understanding and kind - and offered us to stay at a nearby 4-star hotel operated by the same owner and opened in Oct 1st of 2009. We were very skeptical at first, but the staff and service at the Hotel Canal Grande absolutely blew us away. UNBELIEVABLE SERVICE!

Location of the hotel is great. Very close to the train station, to major restaurants and of course...on the Grand Canal.

Our room was breathtaking and brand new. All services lived up to the 4-star rating, and even exceeded it due to an amazing level of service. The manager gave us several hours of wifi for free and included breakfast.

Overall, this was the nicest hotel we stayed in over the course of a 3 week trip to Europe. FANTASTIC!

[One small note is that the hotel has a program to give guests a free taxi ride to the island of Murano, which is the main glass blowing producing island in Italy. The trip takes you to one factory and showroom for a short glass blowing demo. While we were okay with not buying anything, some people may feel pressured by the sales team at the factory (not the hotel). We did stay on the island to visit other shops, but had to pay our own way back to Venice. Also recommended was a restaurant on the Grand Canal that failed to meet expectations.]"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of November 2009

The Place to Stay in Venice

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We had a day before and after a Mediterranean cruise that left from Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Antique Figure on the first leg and was so impressed that we asked for rooms on our return after the cruise. Antique Figure was unavailable but the staff offered us a junior suite at the Canal Grande which would sleep four for less than the two rooms we had booked at the Figure. We accepted the offer and were glad we did. The Hotel Canal Grande was extremely nice and the staff was very helpful. The junior suite was fine for a family of four with a separate sofa bed that created two twin beds that were comfortable. The bedroom had a king size canopied bed and both rooms had flat panel TV's. The TV in the living room was cleverly hid behind a gilded mirror, The marbled and glass tiled bath was spacious and had double sinks and a full tub. This was my fourth trip to Venice and had always stayed closer to San Marco and because of the distance always booked a water taxi. You can save that $175 each way by staying here and taking the shuttle bus #5 from the airport to the Piazza Roma for about 3 euros and walking less than two blocks to the hotel. If you choose to walk you have to carry your luggage over a small stepped bridge but my 5 foot tall 100 pound wife did fine with her 45# wheeled suitcase. I also found the area near the hotel along the Strada Nova to be the most enjoyable section of Venice. There are many restaurants and the shops and gelatto stands are less expensive than those close to San Marco. Of course you will want to go to the tourist areas and it is about a 30-40 minute walk that is well marked and you see much of Venice with piazzas and churches all along the way. We will stay at the Hotel Canal Grande on our next trip to Venice."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of October 2009

New hotel in a great location

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Hotel opened beginning of Oct . Located in a great location close to the train, bus & water bus stop. Was concerned because there was no reviews when we booked but glad we tried it out. Nice breakfast ,free internet .Staff are helpful . Nice tastefully decorated room .
I find merchants around Venice rude & crabby . That part of the trip is a turn off."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of October 2009

Beautiful Hotel and Warm Hospitality

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"My wife, 5 month old son and I recently stayed for two nights at the Canal Grande. Overall, this is an absolutely beautiful hotel with very warm hospitality. We originally tried booking with the hotel in late September through the hotel's website. But our two e-mails to them asking about availability went unanswered, and the folks at hotels.com told us that it appeared the hotel was not yet operating. So we booked at the Hotel Antiche Figure--the Canal Grande's sister property. Upon our arrival my wife mentioned these difficulties and immediately the staff sprang into action. They apologized profusely and offered us a room at the Canal Grande at the same rate. Carlos escorted us to the Canal Grande (and helped with the stroller over the many bridges) and they had our luggage brought over from the Antice Figure. When we asked for a crib for our our baby, they did not have one. But they gave us a room that had a sitting area with a single bed, which we used as his makeshift bed. Everything in the hotel was beautiful and new, of course. The decor was lavish, but not gauche. The bed was comfortable and extravagant. The bathroom was modern and large. Each and every staff person was extremely nice and helpful. Still, they have a few things yet to work on, which is no suprise considering they've been open for only a couple of weeks. The electronic key system was tricky, but I think they're working on that. Because breakfast was not included in our rate, and it was cheaper at the Antiche Figure (7 euro pp vs. 15 euro pp), they gave us breakfast at the cheaper rate. That was very nice, considering that 15 E for the buffet seems a bit steep. There was a little bit of confusion about breakfast too. The first morning we dined on the breakfast buffet including yogurts, cheeses, meats, breads, muffins, cereal, juice, milk, unlimited coffee, hard boiled eggs, and eggs cooked to our liking. The second morning we were told that they were awaiting the printing and delivery of the menus, and that having eggs cooked to order would be an additional charge (3 euros for a scramble egg!). We politely declined and stuck with the ample offerings in the buffet. The only other negative was getting to the train station at the conclusion of our stay. Water taxis are very expensive, so the only alternative they suggested was hoofing it on our own to the train station. Dragging your suitcases over the several bridges encountered along the way can be exhausting. They will hopefully devise a more convenient way to get their guests comfortably to the train station in the future--perhaps they can get a boat themselves for just such occassions. I am confident that once these minor kinks are worked out that this is going to be one of the top hotels in Venice. We would not think twice about staying there again. Indeed, my wife concluded that this was her favorite hotel during our two week trip to Italy."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of October 2009

Welcoming staff to a luxurious hotel

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"The hotel had been open for a week before our stay, and everything was gorgeous. The staff, particularly Giovana, were extremely welcoming and friendly, and did all they could to ensure our stay was as comfortable and perfect as possible. We stayed in the Rosalba Carriera room - a room richly decorated with gold brocade fabric, on the walls and on the bed. Good views from the bedroom of the small square beside the hotel and the canal, and also good views from the light-filled bathroom. The room comprised a small entry, bedroom, reading alcove/desk, and bathroom. Beautifully furnished and decorated including the magic mirror! The shower had loads of hot water with good pressure. A cold breakfast with good variety of food on offer is served downstairs overlooking the canal. The hotel is close to the railway station and the Piazza Roma (where the bus from the airport stops)....so lugging the suitcase is not too arduous. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of October 2009

Bellissimo! The best of our trip!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We were originally booked at another hotel but to our surprise, the 3-star Hotel Antiche Figure gave us an upgrade at their brand new 4-star "sister" hotel; the Hotel Canal Grande. It was spectacular! We were greeted by Johnny Tiozzo with a warm welcome which included complimentary Bellini cocktails for the 6 people in our group. When we were shown our beautiful rooms overlooking the Grand Canal we couldn't believe how lucky we were to be staying at this luxury boutique hotel. The rooms were gorgeous! Johnny made dinner reservations for us at a very nice restaurant and without my having to make the request, he asked the restaurant to prepare a birthday toast for my husband at the end of the meal. My luggage was lost at the airport in Rome and Johnny, Lorenzo and Enrico were extremely helpful in staying in touch with the airport and checking on the status of the situation while I enjoyed Venice. Our stay at this hotel was unforgettable. The manager, Johnny and the rest of the people who work here went out of their way to please us. Thank you, Hotel Canal Grande! We wish you great success."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of October 2009