Private Jetty at the Beach Hotel Du Lac

Good
Good

Stylish, comfortable, exemplary service, spectacular views

Reviewed 10th January 2013

"We stayed at the Hotel du Lac in Malcesine for two nights near the end of April and absolutely loved it. It was renovated in 2006 and the building is beautiful - all marble and glass yet warm and inviting. We had a junior suite that was spacious with a large bed and a sitting area at one end with wicker furniture which looked light and airy but was very comfortable. The patio was huge with a patio table and 2 chairs and 2 sunning chairs and the view from it was truly priceless with palm trees in front of the lake and the snow covered mountains far in the background and the castello in the foreground. The hotel is a short walk (1/2 a mile) from the ferry dock along the waterfront and we had no problems wheeling our suitcases along it, or walking to and from for meals, sightseeing and catching the cable car ride to Monte Baldo. A lovely hotel in a breathtaking place. I would highly recommend it - the food is very good as well."

• Travel date: 2nd May 2008

Friendly and efficient

Reviewed 9th January 2013

"Although we arrived at the hotel late (around 9:30 pm) due to flight delay from UK, the manager/owner was there to greet us on arrival and had a selection of hot and cold food ready . The room was clean and comfortable. We have stayed in nine other hotels in Malcesine over the years and found that the general attitude of the staff, the facilities available, and the efficiency of the management of the Hotel du Lac is well above the standards found at the other four star hotel on the same promenade. It's true that the hotel has no entertainment in the evenings - what a relief! A quiet, comfortable hotel with no talentless noise makers but with a pleasant terrace for having a relaxing drink in the evenings. We didn't have a table near the lake for dinner as these are alocated to people staying in lake view (i.e. more expensive) rooms. Tables are NOT allocated on the basis of nationality, but on the cost of your room. Get up early for the best choice of seating at breakfast! The buffet breakfast is extensive and varied - cold meats, cheeses, fruit, cereal, juice. Evening meals had a more than adequate selection and were of a high standard. OK, the place is a short walk into the town but you can always check these things with your travel agent if this is a problem for you - they do have maps of resorts with hotels marked on them, after all. Definitely will return and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel"

• Travel date: 10th April 2008

Perfetto

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"This was our 2nd visit to the Hotel Du Lac having previously stayed in another hotel in the same resort. We would not stay any where other than the Du Lac in future. The staff are curteous, obliging, efficient and will try and meet any request to ensure you have a perfect stay. Having flexibility regarding half-board is a bonus - but it is such good value that you would be foolish to miss it. Staff have remained the same during the time and they are super. We cannot speak to highly of this hotel. If you have a room facing the lake you are put to sleep by the lapping of the water. A perfect view, friendly professional staff, what more could you want."

• Travel date: 7th October 2007

The best hotel.

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"Koppel, Danmart We were at Hotel Du Lac in the 2nd week in september 2007. We have 7 fantastic holidays in the hotel. We got en very modern og cleanly suite, with a big terrace whit lakeview , deckchairs and privat exit to the lake. The personal was very kindly and very serviceminded. The food in the restaurant was very good, to he price of 10 euro per person. We have been at "the Garda Lake" many times, but this time was the best because of the hotel. We will certainly be back."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2007

This hotel ruined my holiday

Reviewed 30th December 2012

"I stayed at Hotel du Lac during the first week of September 2007. I asked for the air conditioning to be switched on in my room. For this I was charged 50 euros for the week. When I questioned this with the Thomson holiday representative she said that the cost was at the discretion of the hotel. In other words, they could charge what they like. They also charged me 10 euros for the tiny safe in my room. The hotel is definitely NOT a four star. My bedroom was cramped and dark and below pool view. The balconies were very close and there was little privacy. The room was painted magnolia and there was not even a picture on the wall. It was like going back to some sort of cell in the evening. There was a kettle and a cup and saucer in the room and nothing else - no tea, no coffee, not even a spoon. I tried to heat some water in the kettle and it wasn't working. I looked into the fridge. It was switched off and smelt musty. The jacuzzi was out in front of the hotel, right next to the dining tables and looking onto the public pathway into town. Again, absolutely no privacy and what a strange place to have a jacuzzi. I never used it, nor did anyone else to the best of my knowledge, apart from the owner himself. This hotel was, in fact, the most boring place I have ever stopped in. To a certain extent, it was a regimented establishment. You were given the same table each night (at the BACK of the restaurant as I was British!). Your bill was always placed on your table (and this was when I got my first sight of '50 euros for air con' written on it). The food, at times, left a lot to be desired, particularly breakfast which seemed to be centered around sweet cakes and cold boiled eggs. There was not any entertainment in the evenings so you had to walk back into Malcesine, which was a good 10 minute walk along the lake. Malcesine itself is a beautiful little place, although it is quiet and not a lot happening in the evenings. I was thankful that I had not booked this hotel for two weeks and was glad to leave it. If you want a dreary and horrible hotel experience, then this is the place to go."

• Travel date: 29th September 2007

Super views and good for vegetarians

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"We loved this hotel. The view of the lake is one of the loveliest in Europe. The walk along the lake side is tranquil as well as beautiful. The cafes and restaurants of Macesine are a 15-20 minute walk away but we found the lake-front restaurant at the hotel just as good, better value, with a better view and nicer staff. We're vegetarians. The hotel tried very hard to provide 4 course dinners each evening. There's a buffet of tasty starrters, most of which are vegetarian, and the hotel is flexible about providing suitable pastas, salads and cheeses. The desserts were delicious. The swimming pool is out at the back near to the road, but it is quite new, very clean, has shade, and you get a free towel and lounger. There's a grassy area too. Out at the front, a part of the pebbly lakeside is reserved for hotel guests, and there's a handy paved walkway into the water so you can swim without hobbling painfully over the pebbles. Don't miss the cable car up the mountain at Malcesine, but go early to avoid queues. The hotel still has a family feel but it is smart, modern and clean. We loved this hotel and intend to return."

• Travel date: 15th September 2007

Lakeside Views

Reviewed 29th December 2012

"This Hotel was recently renovated and now features acres of yellow marble. The rooms are excellent and it does make sense to upgrade to the Junior Suite .The dining room overlooks the lake where you can have a leisurely breakfast with a wide choice of items. The Junior suites are similarly smothered in marble and feature designer bathrooms . For those on half board ,the meals are excellent especially as the cost is just 10 euro per person for a four course meal plus salad bar. Meals are selected the previous evening from a choice of at least three but if that is not enough the staff will do their best to provide something else. The Hotel is used by Thomson and Inghams and it did seem that those guests got a table at the back whilst the independent travellers were at the front. Don't moan ,either ask to be moved or book it yourself! It's a 20 minute walk into town where you will find loads of shops ,bars and restaurants. What a great holiday."

• Travel date: 13th September 2007

Perfect position by the lake

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We returned this year to the Hotel Du Lac and found it was even better than before. We have been going to Malcesine for almost twenty years and a few years ago discovered this hotel. The hotel itself is perfectly positioned just by the lakeside and a delightful stroll away from Malcesine itself. The views are magnificent and from our room on the 3rd floor we could see both lake and mountains. One can hear traffic by the pool, as the road is nearby, but it did not spoil our enjoyment as again the views out over the lake are wonderful. The rooms have been completely refurbished and it truly deserves its new four star status. Breakfast was our favourite time of the day when we could sit outside by the lakeside and enjoy the wonderful views and the staff were always attentive and very friendly. On arrival at Bergamo Airport the arranged transport did not arrive to meet us due to a delay/accident on the motorway . I phoned the hotel and they told us to get a taxi and they would pay for it - which was a substantial amount - and which they paid immediately and without any fuss. The hotel is excellent, the staff are excellent and not only will we return but I have no hesitation in recommending the Hotel Du Lac to my family and friends."

• Travel date: 8th September 2007

Fantastic hotel, best in Malcesine

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I have to strongly disagree with most of the previous review. We have just returned from the Du Lac (25th Aug - 1st Sept) and it was a fantastic place. There were no large groups of any description, perhaps the previous review writer was just unlucky. The hotel is very peaceful - music in the bar, but not loud and certainly not till midnight. We live in a very quiet, rural area in England and so any loud noise keeps us awake. We slept like babies at the Du Lac. Renato (owner), and the rest of the staff are fantastic and will do anything for you. Have to especially mention Rikke and Giorgia in the dining room. Fantastic girls, impeccable English, and very professional. Beautiful room, 3rd floor. Have to agree about the 1st floor suites, yes the rest of the hotel does look down on to the patio, and also there are some trees that block out some of the view to Malcesine. But the view to the other side of the lake is out of this world and you only have to step onto the hotel patio or onto the lake beach to enjoy the view to Malcesine. There did not seem to be another hotel that had everything that the Du Lac did. Either they were the other side of the main road, so a lake view room overlooked not only the lake but the VERY busy main road, or they looked in the other direction (specifically the Maximillian - which looked down the lake towards Sirmione and did not have the dramatic mountain views). The Du Lac lake view rooms simply look over the promenade, beach, jetty and then lake. Couldnt be better. And they are beautifully renovated, very simple but nicely done. I do have to agree about the kettle in the room though, a bit pointless if they dont provide anything to go with it! The food is very good, though you do have to choose off a menu the previous evening and it is mostly plated up and brought to your table so portion sizes are controlled, but there are 5, yes 5, courses, so you couldnt possibly be hungry by the end. And you can always help yourself to the salad buffet and plenty of bread too. Wine list very good and the 'carafe' wine is not bad at all. Personally, it was the most relaxing and scenic holiday we have ever had and both of us would go back in a heartbeat. Malcesine, for us, was definitely the best town on the lake, Riva coming second. Not too keen on Limone (very busy) and Torbole seemed ok but quite small. I cannot think of anywhere better to go and for the 'peak season' week, it was very peaceful."

• Travel date: 2nd September 2007

Such a disappointment

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"This hotel is NOT worthy of a 4 star rating - yes the rooms are refurbed but very basic and small.The top floor balconies have no overhead protection from sun so too hot to sit out in the late afternoon plus the dividers between the balconies are only waist high bits of wood that give no privacy. The evening meals were awful - bland and uninspiring - had to rely on salad bar although the salad and sweets were laid out at least an hour before dinner, uncovered and not all in a chiller. If you like to be quiet when sitting by the pool take an IPOD to drown out the traffic noise. There is no bar service at the pool and you have to traipse through the hotel to get to the bar or your room. Our 2nd week was ruined by the arrival of a very large group of Irish teenagers that the Hotel claimed to have been "tricked" into accepting reservations from! The drunken behaviour, foul language and arguments went on until after 4am most nights. The hotel staff did nothing to stop it despite compaints from many guests who, like us, had booked an expensive holiday and expected peace and quiet. There is no lounge in which to chill out after dinner. The "reading room with library" is a narrow, dark area next to the bar, furnished with the most uncomfortable orange plastic bench seating. The library is 2 shelves of paperbacks left behind by guests! Having said all this the views are fantastic and the staff very pleasant and helpful but we won't be going back!"

• Travel date: 30th August 2007

No longer a quiet place

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"When this was a tired 3 star hotel prior to it's makeover to a 4 star, it was a peaceful and friendly hotel, well worth the cheap price to stay there. However, there have been some developments since then, the most significant being, if you're a snob travelling in Italy like me, the hotel is now taking group bookings and therefore large parties are tuning up, disrupting the tranquility of the whole area, let alone the hotel. When I was there, a large group turned up from the North of England, so we had to put up with what I imagine they put up with in Benidorm. In short, shouting, all day drinking, no regard for others enjoyment, fighting amongst each other, swearing, adults childishly playing with a rubber football whilst everyone else were trying to enjoy themselves, quietly. The hotel management seemed not to care - although they are extremely nice people, I must stress that point. 3 years ago you could enjoy a nice evening here with a glass of wine, in front of what still is (obviously) one of the best views in Italy, enjoying the serenity of the lake - now the barstaff at the hotel play loud music from speakers - mostly English music, cheap, e.g. "The Backstreet Boyz", and it continues past midnight, the volume constantly being turned up and down, much to my annoyance. I booked a junior suite - expecting the best view, but their junior suites are on the first floor, so keep clear, they are noisy, being closest to the bar and noise from above. With a junior suite you get deckchairs - but the whole hotel is looking down at you sunbathing, not nice (!), and you don't get any sun here anyway, because the trees to the left hide the sun!! There is a kettle in the room, but when I asked for a sachet of coffee and a small carton of milk, they said I could not have any - hotel policy. (I was paying nearly 200 euros a night for a room - and I don't get a cup of coffee in the morning in my room!! Although I've said everything bad, the good things have been mentioned in other reviews, and there are many plus points to this hotel. However, it is now less suited for the romantic couple seeking 'la dolce vita', the package tours seem to have occupied an area that has enjoyed their absence until now."

• Travel date: 26th August 2007

Fantastic wedding hotel

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We got married in Malcesine in Aug this year and 16 of our friends and family also came with us. The hotel was great esp as everyone wanted to stay different dates and it was really easy to organise via email. We stayed in one of the suite rooms which was lovely and perfect for all the girls to get ready in on the big day!! The pool area is a good size and really clean. The breakfast had a good selection and the food on an eveing was excellent esp for 10 euros per person. It is about a 10 min walk to the centre along the promonade which is picturesque. Overall i thought the hotel was excellent."

• Travel date: 25th August 2007

Hotels near Beach Hotel Du Lac

Beach Hotel Du Lac is also called

• hotel du lac malcesine
  • beach hotel du lac malcesine
  • du lac malcesine