About Villa Nicolli Romantic Resort

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

DO stay here

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed for 10 days in early June and the hotel was excellent. The staff were very friendly and very helpful and knew alot of information of things to do and went out of their way to help. Which is why I am really surprised by another reviewer saying not to stay at this hotel as the staff were rude and unhelpful. Surely if we stayed there for 10 days we would have picked up on these vibes? But each to their own.

The pool in the hotel is good. There are sun beds in the gardens and pool, but i think the htoel should buy some more as there did seem to be at times a bit of shortage. You are about 10 mins walk from the heart of Riva, about 5 mins walk to the lake and beach. Recommend spending some time at the beach, mainly pebbled areas.

The hotel is in a quiet location most of the other hotels in the area are nearer to the town centre and on busy roads.Our hotel room was good, we stayed in the main building in a superior room with a balcony view looking out over the mountains. I have read elsewhere that the Annex building is not so good so recommend if you book a room, go in the main building. But hey you don't go on holiday to stay in a room do you? Its just a place to sleep. Get yourselves out, lots to do in RIVA and around. Go on a day trip to Venice and Verona.

The meals were fantastic and service good. Alcohol epxensive but then again what hotels in England don't charge a fortune?

RIVA is a good base to explore the lake, busier than other areas and seems to have a lot more going on. Recommend hiring out a push bike and go off on one of the many cycle tracks. The track to Arco is nice and flat follows the river (occasional part of the trip you will go on the road). Cycle shop nearby to hotel- hotel staff will show you where. Its around 10 euros for a full day, about 2 euros for helmets.

I suppose we did go early season and I expect the hotel and RIVA to get busy in mid summer. I would defo go back to this hotel and RIVA a really special place."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

disappointing

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Only just returned from 1 week in Riva, Lake Garda staying at the Villa Nicolli and we will not be returning to the hotel nicolli.

It is rated as a 4 star but a 3 star rating would be fairer.

The rooms are small and ensuite very small. if you are a larger size or over 6ft be careful using the toilet and shower as thier is restricted access to both. Our garden view bc actually overlooked the carpark. we did have A/C but i did hear some guest complaining that they had none. So be careful when booking.

We could live with the room, as really how often are you in it but the restaurant was a disgrace. We were half board, on our first morning we arrived down for breakfast at 9am, we were not sure of protocol (wait to be seated or give room no.) we were ignored by the restaurant manager so we sat ourselves. There was very little left and no milk for tea/coffee.

The dinner restaurant is indoors at the back of the hotel with blinds on the windows. we really did not want to spend our entire evening in this darkly hit room when the beautiful lake garda was outside, so every night we went down at 7pm. Service in the restaurant was non-existant, our dinner took between 1 1/2 to 2hr every night. Tables that sat down after us got their food before us and time between courses varied from 5mins to 45mins. on the last evening after waiting 30mins for final course we told the waiter we were leaving as we did not want to wait any longer, he shrugged his shoulders and walked away!

The food was not up to much either. thier was horse and cured meats and one night i had a rather raw piece of turkey. not really to our taste and portions are very small. also as others stated get your veg/salad at 7pm or miss out. Also if you don't order the overpriced wine don't expect to get any cheese. (the cheese board is included in the half board meal). And no veggie option or pizza.

When we checked out we told the receptionist that we were disappointed with the service in the restaurant, she went and got the restaurant manager . He dismissed our complaints and really could not have cared less. he said we should have said something ealier, we did try but they never had time to listen. I told him that never once were we asked did we enjoy our meal or asked was everything ok, his response was that there are too many guests to ask.

With no time to ask your guests if everything is ok, it is no surprise that we will not be back at the Villi Nicolli

Also get your sunbed early but be careful it is in the sun as the large trees block the sun from the pool area for most of the day."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of July 2007

DO NOT STAY HERE

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My financee and I stayed at this hotel in late June for 4 nights. I would just like to say at the outset of my rant that I have used TripAdvisor for recommendations at numerous hotels across Italy and have always been delighted with my choice. Unfortunately, I booked this hotel on the recommendation of my sister who stayed here a few years ago. Needless to say, I will not be accepting any other recommendations from her in the future.

On arrival at the hotel reception, there was a very irrate gentleman arguing with the hotel staff. I thought to myself that really is not necessary and not a nice way to deal with people. However, 4 days later I found myself in exactly the same position, totally exasperated with the unpleasant and incompetent staff. I will not repeat all the problems highlighted in the previous reviews which are very much on point but would just like to elaborate on the thoroughly unpleasant staff. In particular the 'manager's daughter' who was so rude I was struck speechless. The other staff at reception were pleasant enough but seriously lacking in any intelligence - they just stared at you with a vacant expression and explained they couldn't answer any of my questions because they had only been working there for a few weeks.

All in all a thoroughly unpleasant stay. I really would advise all those reading this review to stay elsewhere as I would not want your holdiay to be soured by staying at this hotel.

Setting aside the hotel, the town and area is lovely."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Best Hotel Ever

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My family and I stayed for a week in summer of 2006. I felt compelled to right a review after reading the negative comments. I think perhaps they stayed in a different hotel! The one we stayed in was welcoming, organised, clean and beautiful. Our rooms were clean everyday, the food at night and for breakfast was the best we've ever tasted. Perhaps it's to a select taste, but there's a wide variety, and it's all gorgeous. My brother was 13 at the time, and he ate dinner, and enjoyed it. Not only was it all freshly cooked, but because it's owned by a family, they personally get to know you, and it's the most amazing experience. The pool is a decent size in respect to the size of the hotel, and the surroundings are the most beautiful landscapes. Our rooms were a very good size. A fantastic holiday. Brilliant hotel all round."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

Be sure you get the room you booked from the Beetroots!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"On arrival at the Hotel we were given a room with a balcony but unfortunately it was sunk into the roof of an extension of a lower floor and therefore was similar to a bunker (room 105). This made the room very dark and dingy. Since we had previously paid extra for a superior room with a balcony and view etc, we immediately asked to change rooms and were given a 2nd floor room facing the pool. This was far better. In discussion with some other guests, it seems they had similar experiences, in particular those that were accommodated in the adjacent annexe, which, from the outside, looks more like a prison than hotel accommodation. The room we were given was fine and kept relatively clean, while there were two chairs on the balcony there was no table or outside light, so we were unable to sit and read once it started to get dark. The food was reasonable but as other reviews have indicated, once the desserts had run out they were not replenished so you had to get in early to ensure you had a dessert, or at least a choice of dessert. Fortunately, in the dining room we were placed between two fantastic couples who were great company and made evening meals very enjoyable. The breakfast finished at 10:00, even on a Sunday, which seems a bit early in comparison with other similar hotels. The hotel does not have a shop to buy papers etc, (can't think why?)although there are shops about 15 minutes from the hotel. We have stayed in better 4 star hotels but the staff were extremely polite and helpful and the location is good. Lake Garda and Riva are stunning and there are so many places to visit around the Lake. There are a number of good places to eat out in Riva and all reasonably priced, but beware there is no significant evening entertainment other than the occasional bar with live music. We would go back to Riva and overall this was a reasonable hotel but we would advise you contact the hotel before arrival to ensure you don't get annexed or a room with a useless balcony!!"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Pretty good but watch out for the annexe !

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"The hotel is generally okay and the food is good but not exceptional. I agree with previous reviews that you have to get down to the dining room pretty sharpish for the salad and dessert selections but the food in our experience isn't that bad. Our real gripe was the accomodation. They claim that it's a 4 star establishment and if you are in the main hotel it may well be, but clarify (if you can) on booking that you won't be occupying the awful annexe that is adjacent to the hotel. We, along with other 30 and 40 somethings had the misfortune to be placed there. We were regularly disturbed by banging doors (not deliberate, just that the place had an echo about it). However, the worst aspect was the abscence of any air condtioning, just a ceiling fan. The room was dark and the view pitiful, with a load of tab ends outside the window area.
On a positive note, the hotel has a small gym and the swimming pool was nice. The staff are friendly and the buildings were kept clean by the hard working maids. Riva is a great place too, possibly the best resort on the lake, but malchesnine and Limone are certainly worth a visit along with sirmionne in the south. With regard to the hotel, you could do worse, but try and avoid the annexe !!!"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2007

Hotel Villa Nicolli

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Hotel: Very good. Staff were always very pleasant and helpful. Room was good size and clean. Our air conditioning worked very well. Garden and pool were lovely - very well kept and the pool was very clean. We only ate breakfast in the hotel but there was a good variety and you won't go hungry.

Downsides: The reception was often unmanned so you had to wait for your key. The pool faces the wrong way for suntanners - the beds are sometimes in the shade and the sun is behind you. Also, not enough sunbeds for when the hotel is full.

Riva del Garda: The old centre of the town around the lake is very nice with old streets behind going back to the city wall. There are a lot of restaurants to choose from and a beach a 10 minute walk along the lake. Unfortunately the town is geared more towards Germans
rather than British or Irish holidaymakers. Most of the beer on tap is German with the remainder French - we didn't see any Italian beer on tap all week . If you want Italian beer then you need to ask for bottles of Nastro. The range of foods was quite limited - all the main restaurants seemed to have near identical menus. Service appeared to be better in the back streets way from the lake. One exception to this was Osteria de L'Anzolim located in the far corner of the main square. The food and service were both excellent although
it was slightly more expensive than other restaurants.

We did a lot of exploring during our week and decided that Riva was the best base around Lake Garda and that Hotel Villa Nicolli was the best hotel to stay in - if we were to go back to Lake Garda this is where we would stay."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2007

Hotel Villa Nicolli

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Have just returned from a week's holiday in Riva del Garda. We stayed in the Hotel Villa Nicolli which was absolutely fantastic. It's a 4 star hotel but the service we got deserves 5 stars! The food was gorgeous from the breakfast buffet with its various breads and jams, croissants, pain au chocolat, danish pastries, fresh fruit, omelettes, boiled eggs and various meats, to dinner, which was quite exotic at times but beautifully prepared and cooked. The flavours were marvellous. As for the desserts, they were incredible and I only wished I could have resisted more. We ate there 4 nights out of 7, spending the other 3 in the town itself. The hotel was extremely clean (and I'm very picky!), rooms were good - we had a junior suite which was ok except for the twin beds pushed together (I had expected a kingsize) and the airconditioning, which never seemed to cool the bedroom. My son's room seemed to be far cooler and he got a double bed!

The pool was well maintained but sunbeds became a little scarce whenever the sun shone as more guests arrived. The service was the icing on the cake. Nothing was too much trouble, the reception staff were brilliant as were the bar staff and everyone else was so polite and friendly. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Riva itself is very picturesque but our memories are overshadowed by the fact that we only had 2 sunny days out of 7. The rest was rainy and cloudy and as a result, unless you were a mountain bike fanatic or a water sport enthusiast, there was little to do. We hired bikes but got drenched, we went to Malcesine and Limone and shopped and booked a trip to Venice but were let down by the tour company (Limon Tours) who appear to have overbooked the trip, leaving us stranded at 7.45 in the morning at the pick-up point! Be very careful if you're booking with this company and get your hotel to confirm that you are booked the day before you travel.
So, ten out of ten for the hotel and maybe 6 out of 10 for Riva."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

Terribly Disappointed!

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"As this was going to be the first holiday abroad that my partner and I would share together, we carried out a lot of research on both the resort and the hotel before going. The resort of Riva Del Garda was beautiful, picturesque and everything we could have hoped for, but the Hotel Villa Nicolli was a real disappointment!

I don't know how people on this site can say that the food was delicious unless they enjoy eating foods such as veal, wild boar, quail, pheasent, and ocopus tentacles on a regular basis! The meats we did attempt to eat were obviously processed and very poor! For example, one night my partner and I had beef, which turned out to be some sort of white meat! Even if beef is rare, it is pink, never white!!

Also, the salad and desert buffet were nearly empty every night unless you went down to eat at precisely 7pm and filled your bowl before you even ordered your food! And this is what we saw several people doing each night!

It does not say anthing about dress code anywhere in the hotel literature, nor is it mentioned by any member of staff when you check in. So my partner went down to dinner in smart 3/4length trousers and was embarressed by the head waiter in front of a table full of people to be told to go and change as they required men to ware full length trousers to dinner. I thought this was discraceful!

Our standard room was so dark that we needed all of the lights on even in broad daylight! There was only one window in the very corner of the room which was obscured by a roof outside. It just felt depressing being in there!

The pool and the rest of the hotel were nice and so were the staff. I would strongly recomend visiting Riva and if, for some strange reason you do decide to stay in this hotel, then make sure you pay the supplement of 20euros per person per night and upgrade your room. Also, do not go down to dinner any later than 7pm!"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of May 2007

never again

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"we booked this short break with friends going on the reports on this site. When we got there the hotel/reception looked very nice, but when we got to our box room in the corner of the hotel, we were very disappointed. The room was very dark and our window was blocked with a roof located right next to the room. We had to have all lights on in the room during day light and night time hours.
Regarding the restaurant, my advise is to get there at 1900hrs when the restaurant opens,otherwise you run the risk of having no food left. Portions were small and not very appertising, On one occasion our evening meal turned up on the starter buffet the following night!!!!!! I have travelled all over Italy and have never been so disappointed with a supposed 4* hotel, I would rate it a 3 star. Apart from the hotel Riva is a lovely resort,i will definatley be returning,but certainly not to the Villa Nicolli."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of May 2007