About Hotel Villa Diodoro

• shuttle bus service

Breathtaking view of Etna

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We had a very comfortable 4 days at this hotel early in the season. We had paid more for a superior room and balcony and were not disappointed. Had several steps to climb to get to our room (not for the faint hearted maybe) but the view of the bay and snow capped Mount Etna were fabulous. Before going out for our evening meal we would sit on our large balcony with a glass of local wine and savour the warm setting sun over the bay - bliss! The Hotel Receptionists were professional and helpful and the breakfasts were excellent, with the service very efficient and quite charming. This hotel has a spacious feel to it with several large lounge areas and a beautiful pool, with surrounding well kept gardens. It is also in a very good location in Taormina, close to all the main shops and restaurants and easy walking to the historic palaces and main amphitheatre. This is a very pretty medieval town built on a hillside that is a delight to walk around but I would imagine that it could get very conjested in the high season."

• Travel date: 17th April 2006

Loved the Villa Diodoro and Loved Taormina

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We spent two nights at the Villa Diodoro. The room was a little small, but heck, the view of Mt Edna from the private balcony made up for it. The hotel was very comfortable, and I felt the staff were very professional, and helpful. (When traveling, I don't want the staff to be my friends, I want them to provide professional services.) The room was especially clean, the bathroom was more than adequate, and the linens were first rate, and the bed very comfortable. Sitting on the balcony in Jan and having a drink was wonderful. The breakfasts were large and ample variety. I loved the selection of local breads, meats, and cheeses. I thought that the staff setting up the buffet was unfriendly, until I asked her a question, and she smiled and was helpful in explaining what a certain food item was. Taormina was one of my favorite places in Sicily. The public park next door was so interesting, and restaurants, the shops, the greek theatre. My only regret is that we only spend two days there. I am very picky about many things, and my high standards were met, and I was a "happy camper" - both with the Villa Diodoro, and the beautiful gem city of Taormina. I hope to return and spend more time. It was wonderful!"

• Travel date: 21st February 2006

Nicely situated

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"The hotel has a really beautiful location overlooking the bay, with Mt Etna in the distance. Most (all?) rooms have terraces, hut not all have views facing the water. Next door to the hotel is the very lovely and restful public garden, and the town center (Corso Umberto) is a short uphill walk away. Taormina is hill town with narrow streets; one should expect up and downhill walks in most locations. My room was traditionally furnished. The shower facility in the bathroom was weird; it was a curtained-off corner area, rather than a genuine stall. This was apparently unique to my particular room. Food in the restaurant was above average. The breakfast was generous. Much of the criticism of this hotel in previous reviews has centered on service from the staff. Since I was in the hotel as part of a tour group, I did not deal directly with the staff very much. However, the front desk staff was not very helpful when I sought information on how to mail a postcard."

• Travel date: 8th December 2005

staff needs improvement

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"My husband and I had a very difficult time finding this hotel since we drove. When we finally reached the hotel they gave us a room without a sea view. Our documents stated a sea view, We went to the desk and expressed our dissatisfaction and were told the hotel was totally booked. We stood our ground and insisted on a room with a sea view. Low and behold they found us one even though they were booked solid. The rest of our stay they we not friendly to us at all, as a matter a fact I felt the were very cold. The room and the view were great. The pool area was nice, and the lifeguard was the only friendly person we felt worked there.They really need to improve on there public relation skills."

• Travel date: 22nd October 2005

Villa Diodoro deserves a higher rating!

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"Recently returned from our third visit to Taormina and this Hotel and loved it (we like to twin Taormina with Sorrento.) Okay, the Reception staff don't try to be your best friend but who wants them to? We e-mailed them before we went to request a particular room - as we have done before - and they came up trumps once again which is all we could ask of them. We found all the other staff friendly and helpful - particularly the 'lifeguard' down at the gorgeous pool area. Our room was very spacious and clean with a lovely corner balcony and stunning views overlooking the sea, swimming pool and Etna. We didn't eat dinner in the Hotel (you can exchange dinner for lunch) as we prefer to experience the atmosphere of the restaurants in the town, but lunch was certainly very good. Position of the Hotel is built into the cliff next to the lovely Public Gardens - it should be noted that it is a steep walk into town and also down to the Hotel pool. We have looked around a number of other Hotels previously and didn't find any that we preferred to the Diodoro - will be back."

• Travel date: 16th October 2005

A superior attitude

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"The Hotel Villa Diodoro is situated relatively near the centre of Taormina, however, it is a steep climb into the centre of town. The town (city?) is charming but there is little to see after a day or two's exploration. Visits to other places of interest (Etna, Castelmola, Agrigento) I would consider to be essential. The Villa Diodoro, according to the brochure I looked at, is considered to be a superior 4* and some respects it is. The public areas are elegant and well-maintained. The room facilities are of a good standard with quality soaps, lotions and shampoos - but why no bathrobes? The rooms are very small and the bathrooms barely adequate in size. However, the room was spotless. We had a cheerful and helpful chambermaid. Unfortunately she proved to be one of the few members of staff who was. The balcony was a very useful feature. It was unfortunate that a tree blocked part of the view. Nevertheless, it was a delight to watch the sun descend on an evening. Reception proved to be very haughty. I felt that asking for my key was ruining their day. I was tempted to remind them that I was a guest! The bar staff proved to be even more arrogant. My husband and I enjoy a G&T before dinner. As we felt so unwelcome in the bar, we had a glass of wine in our room before dinner. If we'd have had good service in the bar then a good tip would have been forthcoming. This was one area in which we saved money on a holiday. The food was adequate and on occasions very good. We did notice that as we ordered good wines for dinner the service became more and more attentive. At the end of the week I felt as if I was the restaurant manager's long lost relative. I think the tip was not only anticipated but expected. The Villa Diodoro would not be my first choice of hotel in Taormina - try the Miramare."

• Travel date: 12th October 2005

Perfect Honeymoon

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We stayed at the Villa Diodoro for our honeymoon last week. For us the hotel was in a perfect location next to the public gardens. We reserved a sea front view and stayed in a suite with a panoramic view of the Ionian sea and Mount Etna. We found the staff very friendly - it certainly makes a difference if you are interested in their culture and try to speak a littke Italian. The room was immaculate, the balcony immense, the swimming pool was great and the views also wonderful overlooking the bay. We found the food to be of a good overall standard and would definitely recommend the Villagrande Etna red wine. It is true that after a few days the menu becomes somewhat repetitive but all the restaurants in Taormina serve the same menus anyway. We would certainly recommend our room 216 to everyone - the view certainly made a big difference. Taormina is really a perfect destination for a honeymoon and a trip up Etna is a must."

• Travel date: 2nd October 2005

What are some of you complaining about?

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"Having read some of the previous reviews we too were not sure what to expect but I don't believe the hotel warrants some of the criticism it has been given. Didn't have a problem with any of the staff they all seemed perfectly normal to me. Yes the rooms are small (but no different to others we have stayed in in Italy and Continental Europe) Yes the bathrooms are small (how long do you want to spend in the bathroom anyway?) Breakfast was pretty much standard for Italy. I think you have to remember that this is Italy and if you want a huge bathroom and sausage, waffles and pancakes for your breakfast, best stay in the USA because you won't get it here however much you complain. When in Rome...........? The views from the rear rooms are beautiful and the pool area does have a great location right on the cliff overlooking the bay and Mount Etna. Always sun loungers and towels available. The location of the hotel is great, only a short (if very uphill) walk into town so not good for the less mobile. Restaurant food in evenings was good although you could eat out in a different restaurant every night for about 6 months in Taormina. Our only gripe was that the hotel bar closed ot 12pm on the dot, so we stayed in town longer and spent our Euros there instead. Would go back."

• Travel date: 10th September 2005

Nice hotel, shame about the staff

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Moody, hormonal staff spoilt which is otherwise a nice hotel with fabulous views of the coast and Mount Etna. Rooms not large, but clean. Make sure you get a sea-view room, and eat in town – much much cheaper and better. Also, don’t rely on staff for assistance – we lost our luggage and they assured us they’d chase Al-Italia for us. for 2 days they shrugged their shoulders and said there was no answer or the phone was engaged. Each time we called (3 times) we got through first time. On our final call we were informed the luggage had been located, but when we then asked at reception we were told there was no news. On returning from an outing 3 hours later, we were told again –with a shrug – there was no news. When I told him we had already got confirmation that the luggage was located and that he clearly didn’t bother calling, he suddenly lost the ability to speak English. I took the matter up with the Assistant Sales Director who was equally dismissive (even though she’s English). Don’t be put off going to Taormina as it’s a beautiful, safe and impressive town, but don’t expect 4 star service from the Villa Diadoro."

• Travel date: 4th September 2005

Perfect for what we wanted from a hotel

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Villa Diodoro as part of our honeymoon and found it perfect for our needs. I had read reviews on tripadvisor before booking so emailed ahead and confimed a room with balcony and sea view on one of the upper floors. The room was nicely furnished with parquet floors with a lovely balcony and a great view of the Bay of Naxos and Etna. We went on a B&B basis. Having visted Italy before on half board I find it better and cheaper to eat out in local restaurants. The breakfast was standard fare for Italy - I never find the breakfats great there. The staff were perfectly nice. We were out and about most of the time so didn't see them a lot but when I needed some prescription medication urgently the reception staff, (an English lady) was extremely helpful in dealing with the local pharmacy and arranging it for me. The location is good, a short walk from the town with some lovely public gardens adjacent. It has a great pool (the poolside drinks and food are overpriced though hence my 4 star review) and towels are available free of charge. However the pool is located down some steep steps so not great for those who have mobility problems. I found that most of the 4 star hotel in Taormina are pretty expensive. I found that the Diodoro was one of the most reasonable at the time of booking. I think if anyone is going to Taormina you have to accept that 4 star accommodation comes at a price which is more expensive than other holiday destinations."

• Travel date: 30th August 2005