Good

Very fine hotel, excellent service, very friendly staff.

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We have stayed there for 7 nights. I highly recommend this hotel. Very clean with great atmosphere and good location (2 blocks from the main street). All staff are very friendly and helpful. Hotel is maybe not cheap but definitely worth the price."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

Great Value, Great Location

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"After spending a few days on the coast in Sicily for a business meeting, I decided to follow the advice of this site and book a couple nights to at the Liberty hotel before heading back to Canada.

The hotel was everything written here plus a little bit more. The room was very large, with very high ceilings. Everything was clean with very beautiful furnishings. The breakfast has a good assortment of food, but nothing hot except the Cappuccino (which I learned is a breakfast drink only!).

One ammenity which I found very important was the free internet. Internet service in Europe (unlike N. America) is ridiculously expensive. Be prepared to spend anywhere from 3 Euros per hour in Italy to over 5 pounds per hour in the U.K. The 24 hour rate is usually the equivalent of $30 (US) per day. So when Liberty offered free internet, I was able to video skype back to my kids for an hour at a time..for free. A huge savings!

The location of the hotel is great. Within five minutes of Via Aetna, and less to the ruins of an old Roman colliseum. The city is very walkable, and the churches are spectacular (although not as rich as Northern Italy). There are free museums and lots of inexpensive or expensive shops and markets close by.

The only down side was the view. I was on the ground floor, and had two doors that opened to a wall. But I wasn't in the room enough. Earlier I stayed at a hotel on the coast (Baia Verde). It had a beautiful view, great pool, but cost $75 euros per night more, and you had to pay 3 euros per hour for internet.

All and all, this hotel deserves the #1 spot, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of May 2008

WOW

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"All the travel my wife and I do makes us reluctant to complement a hotel or restaurant. The Liberty changed that. This hotel by far is the best we have ever stayed at, the staff and the facility are of the highest quality. They make you feel as though you are the most important person there. The recommendations for dinners were exceptional. This is the type of hotel you would see in a 1930s movie. Finding the hotel with out GPS would be a challenge, but that’s Sicily. The breakfasts were standard Italian fair but the staff made up for that.

Look for Francesca; she has the best locations for gelato."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2008

best hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Wow! the Liberty Hotel is an Oasis in the big city of Catania. I cannot help but to think this is the best Hotel in Catania, if not Sicily. Beautiful rooms, exceptional staff, all made our trip that much more wonderful. you cannot go wrong here.
Scott Albanese"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

Fantastic hotel. Decor unbelievable. Staff friendly and helpful

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"The Liberty Hotel is a welcome haven amist the hussle and bussle of the city of Catania. Transportting you into a luxurious World of elegance and indulgence. Staff could not have been more helpful. Everybody on the reception desk spoke excellent English and nothing was too much trouble."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of November 2007

Excellent, definitely recommended!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We stayed in the Liberty hotel for 4 nights at the end of September, and it was an excellent choice. The hotel is beautiful, and in pristine condition, but with lots of character. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival, which was really nice, high ceilings, beautiful bathroom. Breakfast was good also, we were able to have it outside, which made it even more pleasant. The staff were firendly and nice, and the receptionist who greeted us took lots of time to explain about the local area and attractions. The hotel is maybe a 5 minute walk down the hill to Via Etnea, though it might take a little longer coming back up!
I would definitely stay in this hotel again, it was probably the best hotel experience I've had. One tip, I e-mailed the hotel directly for my reservation, and got a better rate than the one advertised on their website."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2007

Most personal service ever

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"STAFF: fabulous. Professional, friendly, and really helpful.
ROOM: excellent suite, the most clean and richly decorated we've stayed in.
FOOD: good breakfast, short menu cooked to order - tasty.
LOCATION: just a 5 minute walk from the centre
Plus: a lovely bottle of wine, biscuits and fruit basket to celebrate our anniversary (thanks again).

Can't fault them at all."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

Catania is a Nice City

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I travelled to Sicily and went from Palermo to Catania. My goal was to see some lava flowing from Mt. Etna. Lava was flowing just before, but when I got there, there was not even steam coming out of the mountain.

I chose to stay in Catania and selected Hotel Liberty. I read reviews about Catania and some people have not been very kind to this city. This is a nice town. The hotel is just like the description and photos posted on the internet. The hotel is in a quiet residential area and I never heard traffic noice. I enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to stay here again. I was assigned room 201.

I admit that when the bus pulled into Catania we drove past the harbor and thought "oh no". Then, we arrived at the bus station and I though "oh no" again. I walked to the train station next door and got a taxi (9 Euro) to Hotel Liberty (with no luggage, you could walk the distance in about 30 minutes). The hotel is a few blocks outside the main piazza, Piazza Stescicoro.

This is a college town and upscale. Many designer shops off Piazza Sesterico. The city is designed in a Baroque style with a beautiful Catheral. In the same piazza is the funky Fontana del Elephant. The elephant is made from Lava rock and the city is quite proud of it.

The Hotel is a small hotel and very nice. The employees were very helpful. I was traveling alone and had a single room. It was small with a single bed but I had plenty of room. The bathroom was all in tile and modern. I had a french doors that opened to a large ledge. My favorite view from a hotel: an apartment building with balconies and people and laundry lines (I am not complaining!). I actually was not in the room long enough to enjoy the view.

The young man at the reception desk, Silvestro recommended Antica Marina for dinner and it was fabulous. I arrived at 8:30 pm and only one person was in the restaurant by 9:15 pm the place was packed with people waiting.

I booked a small tour in a SUV through the hotel and it was a great tour of Mt. Etna, an underground lava cave, the town of Zafferana. Yes, I tasted the honey and my only regret was that I only had 10 Euro on me.

Breakfast at the hotel was pretty good. They had the typical cold cuts, cheese, yougurt, rolls and cereal, but they also had eggs cooked to order.

Hotel Liberty was everything I excepted and more. I had a wonderful but short time in Catania and if, or when, I return I will stay at Liberty."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2007

Quiet and Elegance close to Via Etnea

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for three nights, on a family holiday to Sicily. We were initially a bit worried when driving to the hotel, because we drove by a few shady streets with questionable-looking kids hanging out on them. But we were pleased upon reaching the hotel, as it was in pristine condition. We had booked one junior suite, and two double rooms, and received a pleasant surprise when we were given two junior suites and one double room instead! The junior suites were extremely spacious, and the overall decor was very pretty, with nice frescoes on the ceilings and beautiful mosaic-tiled bathrooms. The area the hotel is in is very quiet, but the hustle and bustle is close by with Via Etnea just a five minute walk away. The breakfast was mediocre (average Continental croissant and jam fare), but the staff was very helpful. The guys at the reception were very friendly and tried their best with their English. Diego was one of our favorites!!"

• Travel date: Thu 12th of July 2007

Style with a personal touch. Elegant and Special. Staffed by lovely people

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"On arrival you are plunged int a world of true elegance and style. I have stayed in many small Hotels but must say this Hotel beats many of them. The staff become friends and are extremely tuned in to your requirements. The rooms (suite we had was spotless and beautifully decorated) as is the whole Hotel. The service was impecable. The Hotel is situated mid town and is in walking distance of all the main areas restaurants and shopping. As in all cities look out for undesirables as we encountered a few after dark. Always keep to the main routes when walking. More about Catania and our experiences can be seen in a rough guide to Catania and districts. Many thanks to all at the Liberty for a lovely weeks stay in Sicily."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2007