About Hotel Saini Meuble

• german amenities
  • italian amenities

Service with a snarl

Reviewed Wed 13th of February 2013

"I stayed at Hotel Saini, Stresa during July July 2007 during the middle of a glorious summer. Sadly my experience at the hotel completely ruined my holiday. I was enroute to a friend's wedding in Lake Como so detoured via Lake Orta and Maggiore and Stesa was recommended as a jumping off point for the Borromea Islands.

I was quite happy to experience and discover Stresa and the islands at my own pace and was asked on both evenings what time I was expected to return to the hotel (this at 10pm!) This was Italy after all where people dine late! although I was not notified of a curfew, there was a feel of a silent curfew and a key was not available, resulting in me being locked out of the hotel all night! I still find the owner's attitude quite unacceptable and I have never encountered one like it - particuarly as I myself work in travel and have travelled all over the world for business and pleasure.

There is real feeling of overbearingness - whilst I accepted a dinner recommendation from the owner on the first evening, I decided to find a restaurant on my own the following evening and my decision was met with distaste (and obvious displeasure) from the owner who obviously has reciprical arrangements with restaurants.

I would not recommend the hotel for people who wish to explore the neighbouring towns or anyone hoping to take a slightly different itinerary to the one recommended by Mr Saini.

Additionally, the breakfast was appalling - instant coffee, extra dry Grissini and vacuum packed croissants - I can honestly say this was the first time in my many visits to Italy I have ever encountered a breakfast like it !

I have seen some excellent reviews of the hotel on sites which led me to book the hotel originally, but I personally found the hotel to be so far away from the reviews and the reception to be vastly different and completely soured my experience in Stresa.

I would be interested in seeing any further reviews of the hotel, but in the meantime I certainly would not recommend the hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of December 2007

Stresa is a gem!

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"We felt that Stresa was a real gem and enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Saini Meuble. Mr Saini is a very caring host-always wanted to make sure we had sightseeing arranged, that our rental car was parked in a safe area (not in a tow away zone) and gave us very helpful dining information.

The hotel rooms were very clean and the hotel was quiet & comfortable, and the breakfast was very nice with excellent cappucino. It was in a nice location with lots of shops and restaurants nearby, but drivers need to be aware that parking can be difficult in Stresa and you might have to park a few blocks from the hotel (hotel does not have their own parking).

Stresa is a lovely town and we would highly recommend it for a stopover. You can take boats to nearby islands and tour historic estates and gardens and take nice walks. Lovely!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

Exceptional Host

Reviewed Wed 13th of February 2013

"We found that the Saini's made our visit to the hotel very pleasurable, Nothing was too much trouble whether it was obtaining discounts from traders, booking restaurants or travel arrangements. Mrs Saini even helped us get on the bus to Malpensa.

We found although the hotel was undergoing some renovation work that everything was well organised and the hotel is without a doubt child friendly.

The hotel was well priced and the accomodation and breakfast were value for money. If you wanted an extra coffee or roll it was not a problem."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

candid comments

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"As per previous reviews of this hotel, Mr Saini is a pleasant and friendly host, eager to help with suggestions and recommendations for visits, restaurants etc. However, the information is not always accurate and should not be relied upon. See * below.
There is no air con or even ceiling (or portable) fans and the rooms are very hot (especially the one we were given for the first night because our reserved room was unavailable due to the previous guest's overstay owing to illness).
The breakfasts are mean (pre-packed croissants and biscuits) but the cappuccino coffee is good, as remarked by other reviews. Orange juice is available but only if requested! We trained Mr Saini to produce fresh bread/rolls to add to the meagre fare.
Rooms have fridges but were not working. Check out previous reviews - it seems they have not worked for ages! He and an electrician did jury-rig ours after a vigorous complaint.
* One of Mr Saini's tips was to use the large ferry to the Borromean islands, telling us that this would be cheaper. In the event we haggled a good price with one of the smaller boats and the trip cost less than half what it would have done using the large boat."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Mr. Saini was a very accomodating host!

Reviewed Fri 15th of February 2013

"We traveled all over Italy by car in July, 2006. We were scheduled to turn in our car and fly home out of Malpensa Airport. We looked to spend a few relaxing days before departing. We found the Hotel Saini in the Rick Steves book. Mr. Saini, owner/operator, a somewhat curmugeonly fellow, turned out to be so helpful, calling car rental company for us (we were able to return the car in Stresa, saving money and without returning the car to Milan ), and making great restaurant recommendations. Mr. Saini connected us with fellow departing travelers who were also staying in the hotel. He arranged for the cab(shared) for early evening departure to a motel in Malpensa so that both of us couples could catch our early morning flights. Lake Maggiore is beautiful and we owe Mr. Saini our gratitude for 3 beautiful and stress free days in Stresa."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of January 2007

Very Happy Stay

Reviewed Thu 14th of February 2013

"In early September, 2006, the two of us wanted a 3 day relaxed stay in the center of Stressa, near the train station, walking routes, restaurants and ferry boat docks. The Saini meet all these needs. The 3rd floor room was economical, spacious, quiet, well cleaned with an outstanding, new bathroom. The host was friendly and helpful with suggesting tourist sites and restaurants in the area.
We would certainly stay there again.

Henry Moravec
Seattle, WA"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006

Tthe Hotel Saini Meuble is a gem!

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"The Hotel Saini Meuble is a delightful hotel in a wonderful location. The hotel has been recently re-modeled; great attention has been paid to design, construction, and upkeep. The room was immaclate. Mr. Saini, the owner, was very helpful (and made the best capuccino that we had in Italy!). He gave us a box of locally- made cookies when we left Stresa...we enjoyed them for the remainder of our trip!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of June 2006

Personal attention to ensure pleasurable stay!

Reviewed Wed 20th of February 2013

"A most pleasant stay at the historic Hotel Saini Meuble on Lake Maggiore this past August 2004. The reception was most welcoming and the large tastefully decorated room was very comfortable, quiet and immaculate. The location just off the main thoroughfare was excellent. Saini Meuble is quiet and convenient. The owners greeted and offered interesting conversations that were very enjoyable. We appreciated the personal services offered for advice on where to eat, what to see, and arranging for transportation to Malpensa Airport. It was enjoyably flawless with the personal attention received.
Lake Maggiore has incredibly beautiful scenic charm of natural historical beauty. We experienced a magnificent Italian holiday!
We highly recommend Hotel Saini Meuble's establishment to anyone interested in staying in Stresa."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2004

Children unfriendly hotel!

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"Small hotel. 14 rooms. Thin walls. Hotel manager was not friendly to our children - 5 and 8 years. He even telephoned our room one evening to warn us about our 5 year old son who was 'making too much noise.' Mini bar does not work - was just a show piece. No hair dryer. Amneties were there to gain 3 star rating. Breakfast was poor. Only a cup of coffee and 1 croissant filled with marmelade in contrary to description of a so called 'rich breakfast buffet' on the hotel's website. One evening after returning back to hotel from a rainy weather, we were asked not to bring our wet umbrella into the room and we were asked to clean our shoes at the entrance door so that the lobby floor does not get wet. We did not feel at home and we were given a 'breakfast time' i.e. at 9am as the hotel manager had to juggle between reception, making coffee and serving croissant.
We decided to leave after the 2nd night even though we booked for 3 nights."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of May 2004