hotels pool

• sauna
  • bridal suite
  • hot tub
  • tennis court
  • paid private parking on site
  • private beach
  • solarium

Splendid!!!!!!!

Reviewed 4th March 2013

"This was the first hotel we stayed in on our tour of the italian lakes and would definitely have been happy not to move again! It took us a while to find it but was more sat nav issues rather than difficulty finding it. We were greeted by a really helpful receptionist who showed us to our room and even asked if it was ok as if it was up for negotiation (Which it probably was but we were happy with ours!) We had sunning views overlooking part of the lake and part of the mountain. It was a beautiful hotel room with paintings on the wall, a plush sofa and wall to wall mirrors as you walk in the room. Its well lit, has a spacious balcony and a flat screen tv on the wall. the hotel has recently been refurbished and the pool area is fab, with wooden decking overlooking the bar area and the lake. The pool has a Jacuzzi feature and you can sit there for ages taking in the surroundings! The bar staff were really nice and its a great place for cocktails overlooking the lake watching the sun go down. Excellent roads to get there and lovely little towns further on down the road if you want to explore! Also, very near the 3 little islands that you can jump on a boat and visit if you wish. Supermarket within walking distance if you need anything and a short 10 minute walk into the centre of town."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2009

Great views, poor quality dining

Reviewed 5th February 2013

"Trapped in a decor time warp is the first impression. The lake-view room we had was of a good standard and well maintained by the staff. Dinner was an uncomfortable affair some evenings when sharing a table less than a metre square with another couple. Only a pre-designated number of tables was available to those in our group. It is the only restaurant I know where the wine ordered comes to the table ready opened. The wine glasses were inappropriate for the wines, being a little over the size of the average eggcup. When asked to change the glasses the staff were unable to do so. This unhelpful attitude prevailed in the restaurant, which was supervised by an indifferent head waiter. The food on offer was over-cooked and lacking in taste. The antipasto was, however, of acceptable quality. After 4 nights we found a couple of good paces to eat in Baveno, Casabella on the Isola Superiore and Sotto/Sopra in Baveno itself."

• Travel date: 18th September 2008

Awful awful awful !!!!

Reviewed 31st January 2013

"This hotel has to be one of the worst I have stayed in. The reception from two very unwelcoming staff was to say the least sour. The room was just awful, no double glazing so the noise of the lakeside road was deafing. We asked to change and was told it would be an extra 50 euros a day!!!!! The bed was like a brick with pillows to match. No water was provided in the room for you to purchase which meant you had to buy water from the bar which was under staffed and could not cope with the hoards of Page and Moy clients. Even the staff said the hotel was disorganised!!!!! As for the food -schol meals would have been preferable from the 1950s!! Congealed sauces with grey meats and over cooked veg. The pool was dirty and all the spa facilities were locked. The lake side setting could be a real winner if the hotel made an effort but it feels it does not need to beacuse of all the guests from tour companies. The one good facet of the hotel was WIFI which meant if you had a lap top you could plan your way out which is excatly what we did!!! This is not a 4 star hotel. Do not stay here !!!!"

• Travel date: 13th September 2008

Greatest Vacation Ever

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"I had a caviar experience (but paid potato chip prices!) at this sophisticated and elegant hotel. Most of tits business seems to come from high end cultural tours of aging Brits with lovely manners. So look for Internet bargains. My guess is they become available when tour companies give back rooms if bookings fall short. The impeccably attired Maitre D' is dignified but long-suffering. He looks pained at the hotel's fall from grace from its glorious past. No matter. The property is well maintained and boasts its own small beach. Here are some tips: 1) The first room you are shown should be considered an opening offer. At all costs, avoid the noisy rooms facing the road. I managed to get a small single room overlooking the pool, gardens, and a slice of the lake. it even had a balcony. 2) This is a great hotel for single, independent travelers. Staff is very helpful in arranging tours, or travel on your own by ferry. 3) Take advantage of the fitness room, sauna, and whirlpool. They are little used. Sunrise runs along the lakefront are glorious! 4) Book airport transfers through the hotel. It's about an hour from Malpensa. The cost is just ten Euros for a trip in a small but comfortable air-conditioned van with a few other passengers. The only downside is the times may not be convenient. Taxis cost a staggering 110 Euros. Train travel is more complicated. I arrived from Turin (with several connections) but had to walk almost 1 km. from the station because there were no taxis. 5) Avoid the dining room for dinner. The lavish buffet is really geared to the groups. At 35 Euros for independent travelers, it is overpriced. .You'll do better in town, just a few minutes walk away. I recommend the La Posta restaurant in the main square. Stick to the fresh lake fish, potatoes, salad, mineral water and the house wine -- and you can have a great meal for around $25 a person."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2007

Splendid

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"The Hotel Splendid really was "Splendid ". Exellent position right on the lakeside. With sunbeds and Willow trees for sun shade. Staff coundn't be more helpful or courtious. Everywhere was spotless. The choice of food was excellent. Would certainly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 14th September 2006

A Gorgeous Lake Setting

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"If you want a tranquil place to relax and enjoy breathing fresh air, this is the location for you. I would recommended the rooms facing the lake or the side. The rooms facing the highway can be noisy unless you keep the doors closed at night. I prefer to always have the doors open when I sleep, so spend a little more. The dining room is beautiful facing the lake with the swams swimming by. The fish, soup and pasta were excellent. Everything was. I had a personal problem while staying at this hotel and I must tell you that the staff certainly went above and beyond the call of duty to correct my situation. It had nothing to do with the hotel itself, but it was the hotel that saved the day for me. I cannot rave enough about the staff. You just do not find this kind of service in every hotel. The rooms are small and very European. To relax by the waters edge of this hotel is absolutely devine. I would love to go back."

• Travel date: 26th May 2006

Just right

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We can recommend the Hotel Splendid as an ideal place to stay in this area. The hotel is not too big or too small, this allows the staff to provide that personal service that is often lost in larger hotels. The food was a good standard but we would have liked veal to appear less on the menu. The room was kept spotless. Baveno is a small quiet resort and not a lot happens in the evenings and is a good fifteen minute walk from the hotel, and for this reason we believe the provision on some form of music would have enhanced the hotel."

• Travel date: 9th August 2005

La Dolce Vita

Reviewed 23rd November 2012

"My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at the Hotel Splendid in Baveno. We had paid in advance for the rooms, including breakfast. It was the most per night we have ever spent in our lives. We enjoyed our stay. The rooms aren't large, but they are beautifully finished. We also had a lakeside view (which had added to the cost), and it was worth the price of admission. As another reader reported, the balcony doors lock if you shut them completely. Although we had been warned of this, my wife shut them completely to keep out the one or two mosquitoes we encountered. This lead to a comical exchange with our German neighbours who phoned down to the desk to save us. Staff at the hotel were very good and uniformly pleasant. There is so many staff in the dining room, it is interesting watching the divison of labour. Food was very good, but again, expensive. It is not the type of hotel that lends itself to chit-chat with your neighbouring tables, due to many different languages spoken, and a certain genteel snobbiness. The breakfast buffet was certainly on a par or above other hotels we stayed at in Austria and Germany. We had hot scrambled eggs and sausages available (just a note to the reader who said no hot food was available.) The hotel had a great indoor parking garage, so clean you could eat off the floor. This was a bonus, as parking elsewhere in Italy was nerve-wracking Lago Maggiore is a beautiful area, and the Hotel Splendid was a great home base. Would stay there again, once my finances had recovered."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2005

Small room BUT huge view!

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"After traveling through Italy at a somewhat fast pace for 1 week, we arrived in Baveno and at the Hotel Splendid to find the smallest room I'd ever seen, but the MOST BEAUTIFUL VIEW I'd ever seen. Our room faced the lake and had a small balcony with a couple of chairs and table. The water in the lake was so clear and I took several pictures from the balcony at the little outdoor bar/cafe, the beach and the small dock with paddle boats and canoes. The hotel was beautiful all around and conveniently located so that it was a short walk to a grocery store and a 5/10 minute ride into Stresa. However, one word of caution, if you go out on the balcony, DO NOT close your sliding door all the way. While traveling I write a journal in the evening to record the day's activities. In the evening, after dinner, I decided to sit out on the balcony and write while my friend was going through her luggage and getting ready for bed/next day. There were a few mosquitoes flying around the balcony, so instead of leaving the sliding door slightly open, as I had, I decided to close it all the way so that the mosquitoes didn't get inside the room (AC worked great by the way). Anyway, I close the door and continue writing, then when I decided to go back in, I couldn't open the door, it was locked! I thought my friend was being funny and had locked the door, after she tortured me for a bit and laughed at me, she opened the door and we checked out the door, it automatically locks! Imagine if we had both gone outside and closed the door! They probably should put a sign on the door advising guests of that little secret. But overall, I loved the hotel and would definitely stay there, it lived up to its name of Splendid!"

• Travel date: 22nd July 2005

Expected more for four star

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"We stayed in the Hotel Splendid for 11 nights in July 2005, and can report as follows:- 1. LOCATION "Modern 4-story Hotel situated on the lakefront in a quiet location facing Borromeo Islands" - This is the description provided by the hotel. Whilst it may be quiet on the side facing the lake, the same cannot be said about the busy main road on the other side. 2. ROOMS We had quite the smallest room we've ever had in a four star hotel, with the road and noisy air conditioning plant (all night) for company. 3. FOOD We had half board, and the food was definitely very good (5 course evening meal, with excellent waiter service). Our only gripe was that breakfast was a cold buffet - no hot food available. 4. FACILITIES The hotel has a good gym, sauna, steam room. The pool is small, with no poolside bar. The lounge bar and service is a joke, clearly not capable of serving more than a handful of residents at one time (if you can find a bartender), and with very high prices as well. No entertainment. 5. ONE LAST POINT This hotel is owned by the Zacchera group, who also own the Simplon & Dino in Baveno, and also the Bristol in nearby Stresa. It seems to be a group policy (it certainly was in the Splendid and Dino), to allow guests to keep pets in their rooms. While we were there, there were numerous dogs resident in the Hotel, and I dread to think where in the rooms they slept. So, just bear in mind if you book one of these hotels, that the room you are allocated could well have been home to someone's smelly pooch the week before. I am astounded at this practice - there are hygiene/allergy issues here, and for these reasons, I will certainly not be re-visiting."

• Travel date: 17th July 2005

Fantastic hotel

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"This hotel is a real gem. We absolutely loved it, as it is in an idyllic location with gorgeous views from the dining room of the lakes and surrounding mountains. The food is top class and extremely varied - real Italian food, not just pasta! The lake fish (which our friendly waiter told us was a kind of perch called 'Laverello', a speciality of the lakes) was absolutely delicious. The rooms are comfortable - would definitely recommend a lake view, but if you don't want to pay the extra, you do always get the lovely lake view from the dining room each day, so all is not lost! The facilities are good, with a pool and a small gym (which didn't seem to get used by anyone other than us, so that was a bonus). The staff were all extremely friendly, and although this is quite a plush hotel, it never seemed stuffy - it was on the contrary very welcoming. There is even a parrot called 'Paco', who would cheerfully greet you with a 'Ciao' if you were lucky! I enquired last year with the hotel, and was told he is still there! We will definitely return to Baveno one day, and when we do, we will stay at the Hotel Splendid."

• Travel date: 30th May 2005

Hotel Splendid lives up to its name

Reviewed 23rd November 2012

"I am a high school student and stayed here in April, 2004 when our concert band (me included) went on a European tour. All of us absolutely loved Hotel Splendid!! We all wished we stayed longer. The food was excellent, our rooms were great, it was a beautiful place to stay. The staff was very friendly to us, and they did not mind the 60 students or so running around their property, especially the many runs from the sauna area to the lake and back, some actually thought it was quite funny. Plus, it is a short walk from the supermarket, which was good when we wanted to stock up on munchies."

• Travel date: 17th September 2004