About Hotel Simplon
- high speed internet in room
- swimming pool
- free internet
- fitness center
- bar lounge
- free parking
- business services
- wheelchair access
- free wireless internet in room
- room service
- air conditioning
- dry cleaning
- meeting room
- non smoking rooms
- non smoking hotel
- laundry service
- flatscreen tv
- concierge desk
- family rooms
- banquet room
- multilingual staff
- breakfast buffet
- outdoor pool
- baggage storage
- conference facilities
- english amenities
- french amenities
- 24 hour front desk
- pets allowed
- private balcony
- german amenities
- italian amenities
- heated pool
- poolside bar
10 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog
A beautifully refurbished hotel
"We spent a week at the Hotel Simplon in August. The weather was good but cloudy for at least part of most days. The hotel Simplon has been refurbished to a very high standard and the accomodation is luxurious. We paid the extra for a room with a double balcony on the third floor which had amazing lake views. The rooms on the second floor had much larger balconies with sun loungers. At the front of the hotel the rooms faced the road so it is worth paying extra for a room at the back. The hotel had lovely grounds and pool areas (although, like all pools in this area, it was freezing). The breakfast was fabulous with a great choice. If I was to criticise the hotel it would be that it provided very little information about the amenities on offer. I knew that we could use the facilities at the sister hotel Dino through trip advisor, the hotel did not tell me this. Also no information was provided regarding menus, the resort itself etc. Baveno would not be my first choice if I was to return to this area as the restaurants are very mediocre and there is almost nothing to do. It costs 10-15 euros to get to neighbouring Stresa in a taxi and the train/ bus/ boats are not available after 7pm. If you want more variety but a resort that is still fairly quiet head for Stresa. A word of warning if you arrive by train-we were charged 10 euros in a taxi and the hotel is less that a stone's throw downhill from the station. Save your money and walk!"
- Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006
Beautiful hotel in a lovely town, thoroughly recommended
"We have just returned from a week in the Hotel Simplon. We had a great time and would thoroughly recommend the hotel. The communal areas are very grand and look newly renovated, and the hotel offered some nice touches (e.g. a small box of chocolates delivered to the room every night). Any quibbles were minor and in no way detracted from a very relaxing break.
1. Our room was probably worthy of 5*, not 4*. We paid a modest supplement for a lake view room. This meant that our room was probably larger than average (it was huge!) and had a fantastic roof terrace (two sun loungers and table and chairs) which got the sun until midday. The room was newly refurbished, with air conditioning, a separate dressing room and a lovely bathroom (with separate shower and whirlpool bath - although admittedly we couldn't persuade the latter to work, bathrobes, etc). It was well worth paying the supplement for the Lake view.
2. We stayed on the bed and breakfast option, although you can also take half board. We dined in the hotel on the first night, and the food was ok although not that memorable. There are plenty of nice restaurants in Baveno. Breakfast was a buffet, offering plenty of choice. We did have a small quibble with a rule that only those on half board can sit at the front row of tables (with the best view of the pool and lake) at breakfast; we were told off pn one morning and had to move table, which we felt was petty and unecessary!
3. The hotel's pool looks very inviting, with no shortage of sun loungers. However, the pool was very cold despite 30 degree sunshine which meant that we didn't use it often.
4. One other annoyance was that the gym (in the twin Hotel Grand Dino 5 minutes away) cost 12 euros to use. We thought this a bit of a rip-off - the first time I have come across a hotel charging guests to use the gym.
5. We preferred the bar in the Dino; it was livelier and had a pianist every night. You can charge drinks from the Dino bar to rooms in the Simplon.
6. We had hoped to do some windsurfing and waterskiing as these were advertised on expedia and the hotel's website as being available nearby. However, the closest windsurfing was about 30km away (hardly local) and we could only find wake-boarding about 10km away. We felt somewhat misled here.
7. Baveno is a lovely town. It's sleepy, which we liked, but has a couple of bars and several restaurants. You can take short boat trips to the nearby Borromeo Islands, longer trips up the lake (it's about 90 minutes to Locarno in Switzerland and definitely worth going by boat rather than road), and the train to Milan is only an hour from nearby Stresa.
8. There's not much to chose between the Simplon and the Dino. The Dino is larger and busier, and offers more facilities (and marginally more expensive); whilst this makes for a livelier bar, it also means a busier pool. Given the choice, we would go for the Simplon again."
- Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006
A beautiful very well run hotel
"We stayed here for one night in August. It was our last night in Italy after a month of touring-I wish that we could have stayed longer. The room was very spacious with a comfortable settee positioned so that we could sit and look at the view of the lake. The bathroom was large and spotlessly clean and the public areas of the hotel were stunning, full of polished wood and glass. In the morning we watched from the balcony as staff prepared the pool and surrounding areas for the day ahead, leaning everywhere immaculate.Staff were welcoming, friendly and very professional. We felt very well looked after in all respects."
- Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006
Warm and Welcoming
"I stayed at the Simplon with my wife and two pre-teen children. We had booked a room with a balcony, which they didnât give us at first. When I asked about the balcony they moved us to a spacious suite with 2 balconies, 2 floors and beautiful views. The property is beautifully laid out around an extraordinary pool. While not on the lake, you feel like you are, especially with view from the rooms. (I would strongly recommend getting a room on the lake side of the hotel.) Dining was grand and old-world, with the head waiter running the dining room like a general. The front desk staff is very pleasant and accommodating. While the Dino down the block, which is also owned by Zaccharia hotels, is clearly the more exclusive property, I found the Simplon more relaxed and comfortable.
Itâs true that the room did have a few negatives. The air conditioning vent was only on the first level, and didnât really reach the second, so it was pretty steamy in the upper bedroom. We ended up dragging a mattress down onto the lower level. (This wouldnât matter in a 2-person room.) Also, the AC smelled a little; my son called it the âair con-fish-ioner,â and there ants in the bathroom. The food at dinner was poor, so I would recommend just sticking with the sumptuous breakfasts. Despite these problems, Iâd still strongly recommend the Simplon. It managed to be both grand and comfortable at the same time."
- Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006
"This hotel was a lucky find - we drove past, liked the look, and after being shown a choice of two excellent rooms by very helpful staff, we were offered a great deal and stayed for three nights. It was our honeymoon, and by the time we arrived in our beautiful suite, a complementary bottle of bubbly was already there.
Our room was sumptuously decorated, 2 balconies with views of the lake. Jacuzzi bath big enought for 2, dressing room, huge comfortable bed with crisply ironed white cotton sheets.
Pool and restaurant fine too - although we ate out all three evenings in Baveno and Stresa (try the Charleson in Stresa for a truly romantic dinner)
All the staff at the hotel were attentive, professional and helpful, and genuinely wanted to make our honeymoon stay a memorable one."
- Travel date: Sat 15th of July 2006
Silver Wedding Anniversary
"Our holiday in the Hotel Simplon has left a extremely positive and lasting impression on us.
This was our first visit to Italy, the Northern lakes and Baverno as a town which we found the best location as a base for such a holiday whilst enjoying Lake Maggiorre and the region.
This was a high quality establishment which was reflected in the charm of all the
staff and the service we received. This proved a wonderful way to spend our Silver Wedding Anniversary. To have a bottle of champagne delivered to our room on arrival was very unexpected and delightful.
We also liked the option open to us or either dining in or out every evening, even though we had originally booked direct with the management for half board. The food and service was superb. We recommend this hotel to anyone."
- Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006
"We have just returned from a weekend at the Hotel Simplon and can confirm everything that has been said by previous reviewers. The staff are a delight, the hotel decor stunning and the bedrooms/bathrooms very clean and of a good size. Breakfast in the amazing dining room offered a great choice. The hotel itself is a five minute walk from the centre of Baveno and there is plenty of car parking space at the hotel (unlike in the centre of town where there is virtually nowhere to park at all). If you have a choice, request a room on the lake side of the hotel, not only for the views but also to be further away from the road which can be busy. Also, check out the "covered walkway" between the Hotel Simplon and the Grand Hotel Dino. It's one (very long) art gallery and has to be seen to be believed. The Grand Hotel Dino also has a very large indoor swimming pool which residents of the Hotel Simplon can use at no cost.
Overall, an excellent stay and we would definitely stay here again."
- Travel date: Tue 2nd of May 2006
It's all true
"Beautiful! We were part of the Cosmos Tour, and this hotle was our favorite. The rooms were wonderful. Even though we didn't have a lake view, we had a lovely view of the mountains. The dining room was great, and the breakfast was delicious. This hotel is also walking distance to everything! Shops, resturants, grocery store, post office, and the lake.
We enjoyed our stay so much that we didn't join the tour to Lugano Switerland the next day, just so we could hang out at the amazing pool!"
- Travel date: Sat 23rd of July 2005
Like staying with friends
"This is the fifth time we have visited this hotel; it was great the first time but each year it gets even better. The food, accommodation and service are absolutely first class but, most of all, the staff and management are so welcoming and helpful that its just like staying with family. I have stayed in a number of 5-star hotels but none have been better than the Simplon in terms of the customer care which begins with the family who own it and extends to all the staff.
We will definitely be back next year."
- Travel date: Sat 25th of June 2005
Convenient and Very Enjoyable Hotel
"Arrived on 9/10/04 for 2 nights prior to a Tour of Northern Italy, including Venice, Florence, Monte Carlo and Milan.
The reception upon arrival at the Hotel was very comforting for 8 Adults traveling to Italy for the 1st time. We were greeted by several English speaking Hosts at the Desk who graciously provided us with 4 rooms overlooking lake Maggiore.
We received excellent suggestions for local Baveno restaurants, location of a super market, directions to the ferry Dock and a warm welcome every time we entered or departed the Hotel.
Breakfast is included with the room and represents and average European breakfast including meats, cheeses, yogurt, bread, rolls, juice, etc - just enough to start you for a long day on the Lake.
Our rooms were nice, scenic and fairly spacious. Linens were clean and comfortable. The scene from our rooms was more tahn we expected. The gym at the adjoining hotel is excellent. There is plenty of chairs and tables poolside to sit and chat all day/night with friends.
I would highly recommend this Hotel and look forward to a return trip to this quaint little town on the Lake in the future."
- Travel date: Wed 22nd of September 2004