Hotel Belvedere, Bellagio

Hotel Belvedere delivers!

Reviewed 20th February 2013

"My family of 4 (myself, husband, 11 yr old and 9 yr old) stayed at the Hotel Belvedere in late July of this summer. What a lovely place! My parents had actually done the research and booking - had been there almost a week before we showed up - so I claim no credit for "finding" the hotel. I had read of the staff being "snobby" from some other travelers, but we found them gracious and accommodating (maybe with the exception of one bartender). The food was fabulous, breakfast generous, and the view was breathtaking. Having dinner on the terrace each night was always something to make you want to pinch yourself, with the late evening light on the mountains and the smooth surface of the lake. We were upgraded at no extra charge, upon our arrival, to a 2 bedroom suite (each room with private bath). Rooms were nothing very fancy in terms of decor (somewhat spare, in fact), but beds were relatively comfortable, and the hotel was very clean. Our children loved the pool...and we were totally charmed by Bellagio itself. Took the ferry to nearby Varenna and hiked way up to the medieval castle on the hill. Also took the private tour of Villa Balbionella - not to be missed."

• Travel date: 23rd September 2005

A great and a relaxing atmosphere.

Reviewed 13th February 2013

"This property was recommend to me by a travel agent friend. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greated by a beautiful young lady, who was friendly, professional and spoke fluent english. The hotel was immaculate and the view from the restaurant was breathtaking! We were travelling with another couple who stayed in a suite in the main building. We were taken to a regular, king room in another building 2 floors below the main building. It was very private and had it's own patio with table and chairs and a view. Very romantic and quiet. Since we were travelling to Italy in celebration of our 25th anniversary, it was perfect! The room was modern with a extra large bathroom including a whirlpool tub and bidet - comparable to a upscale hotel in the U.S. It was spotless. The pool was located one floor above us and from the deck the view was spectacular! Breakfast was served in the dining room in the main building. Short of hot breakfast items, it was very comprehensive. If you have trouble with stairs or don't want to walk outside to catch the elevator, this room set up would not be for you -- opt for the main building. It rained off and on the day were in Bellagio, but we didn't mind. Great shopping and restaurants on the water are just 3 blocks away in town. This hotel was a good value for the Lake Como area at just 225 euros! We stayed 2 nights. The hotel staff was very accommodating when we had to depart at 6 am to catch a flight in Milan. The front desk/waiter/doorman greeted us at 5:30 am, made us coffee and laid out an abbreviated breakfast. He was even friendly at that early hour! We would definitely recommend this hotel. Note: Travellers we met on the way suggested we not drive from Como to Bellagio as the roadways are quite narrow and curving. We had no choice as we had an early morning flight out of Milan Malpansa and private water taxis were very expensive. We found the drive to be fine, but it did take us 45 minutes to travel the 18 miles between Como and Bellagio."

• Travel date: 19th September 2005

Superb!

Reviewed 19th February 2013

"I absolutely loved this hotel! Yes, it was expensive but I felt we got what we paid for. The room was much better than I expected and the bathroom was large with a spa bath. All the staff were very helpful and helped with train times etc. The restaurant was very good quaility and put all the other local resturants to shame. The view from our balcony was the best view I have ever seen! It was our first wedding anniversary and I don't think we could have picked a better place!"

• Travel date: 8th September 2005

Don't miss this one!

Reviewed 15th February 2013

"What a treat! Not only will you be stunned by the beauty of Bellagio and Lake Como but also the setting and service in this great hotel. We arrived after being stranded in the Swiss floods and the reception by the staff, most notably Ms. Elena Motta, was so warm and gracious. We had a balcony room on the third floor with a marvelous view that you can see in the attached photo. We only ate in some small restaurants in Bellagio which were delicious in price and flavor. We toured the peninsula, (Be very alert...roads are narrow and serpentine) We also took the ferry to Como and returned by the hydrofoil. (Beautiful beyond belief) Go as soon as you can!"

• Travel date: 4th September 2005

Excellent Hotel!

Reviewed 19th February 2013

"Only stayed here for 1 night but wish we had booked it for longer. It's perfect for those with a car as it's slightly out of town and parking downtown would seem problematic. We were also upgraded to a nicer room with a huge patio that overlooks the lake and mountains and it was beautiful. Staff was incredibly friendly and had great recommendations for walks and dinner. We really enjoyed a "Suburbs of Bellagio" self-guided walking tour which brought us to tiny little villages along the lake. Bellagio is beautiful."

• Travel date: 4th September 2005

What a view!!!

Reviewed 19th February 2013

"My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on a 2 week visit to Italy and it was definitely the highlight of our trip. The hotel is a must if visiting Bellagio. The rooms are spacious and we were given a room with a balcony for no extra cost and without requesting it. The room has everything that one would need, tv, hairdryer, telephone, airconditioning etc. The bathroom was small but aren't they always in Italy. The shower was pretty spacious and even included a little washing line to hang up your wet swimming things. The entire hotel is spotlessly clean. The grounds of the hotel are the real highlight. The hotel has a sun terrace which looks out over Lake Como. This has to be one of the best views I have ever seen. This is the perfect place just to chill out. It is very peaceful. Below the sun terrace is a lovely clean little pool to cool yourself down when the Italian sun gets to you. The gardens of the hotel are lovely and very well kept and they have little tables on which one can sit and enjoy a drink of water or chat with friends. The breakfast was excellent and they had a wide range of pastries,fruit,jams etc and lovely coffee. The staff in the hotel are so friendly and helpful. They are probably the friendliest staff in any hotel I have stayed-nothing is a problem for them and they always say hello when anyone walks past. The hotel is slightly out of Bellagio but not too far just far enough to be a peaceful little haven. My partner and I carried our luggage up to the hotel and it didn't really tire us. I would really recommend this hotel and will not stay anywhere else if I return to Bellagio."

• Travel date: 16th August 2005

Expected Ok, got fantastic...absolute gem of a hotel!

Reviewed 13th February 2013

"I booked this hotel for the first week of my honeymoon as we really wanted to stay in Bellagio. I did not expect too much based on brochure descriptions and photos. HOWEVER, it was one of the nicest surprises I have had in a hotel, and I have stayed in top class hotels all over italy. But this one had something special .... Here's why.... 5*Location- on top of hill 5-8 mins from bellagio village centre (close enough but far from the maddening crowds!)- absolutely stunning and unforgettable views 5*- Open air restaurant, overlooking lake- excellent service and food , with choice of local specialities (even the locals went there for special occasions) 4* Bedrooms- Pay for a superior room and ideally a side or lake view. They were tastefully and recently refurbed with marble fixtures. Do not have a room on the 4th floor (dated and frankly of 2* quality...worth the upgrade cost ) 3* public areas slightly dated 2* first impressions of outside of building OVERALL, a wonderful hotel, wonderful restaurant, in a wonderful setting with a real charm and style that I will not forget. 10/10. Its not as luxurious as some hotels but it has the X factor. BOOK IT"

• Travel date: 15th August 2005

Good if you have a car or travelling with a family

Reviewed 19th February 2013

"My biggest complaint is that this hotel is located about 10 minutes walk UPHILL from the town center. It is quite a hike with luggage - and a cab ride costs about Eur 8 one way. Also, there were no taxis available when we arrived, so we had to walk around with our luggage and ask another hotel to call a taxi for us. So, if you plan on staying here, make sure you have the hotel to pre-arrange a cab to pick you up from the bus-stop or docking area. However, the hotel lobby and the rooms were newer and better furnished than Hotel du Lac (which is centrally located right next to the lake). The environment is also a bit more serene than the more centrally located hotels. You could use the hotel grounds/pool to relax outdoors and the environment around the lake is more relaxing. If I had a car and was travelling with a family, then I would opt to stay at this hotel vs. the more centrally located hotels such as Hotel du Lac and Hotel Florence. I wouldn't recommend getting the half board at Eur 30 per head. You are definitely paying more for the view of the lake than for the food. Hotel du Lac's half-board at Eur 15 per head was a much better value."

• Travel date: 30th July 2005

Great views,quiet location

Reviewed 22nd February 2013

"We just stayed 4 nights at the Belvedere. At first I thought we were too far from town but it was worth the walk 5-10 minute walk for the great views and the refreshing pool that we used every day. We had the one and only penthouse suite which was expensive-400 euros with our son, about $500 US dollars/night.The room was 2 levels, a balcony and terrace but the bathroom wasn't that of a $500/night room. Not sure that it was worth splurging here but they had a nice breakfast and the front desk people were wonderful- they gave great restaurant advise and even arranged to have a taxi meet us at the ferry in Varenna to take our luggage to the train when we were leaving. There's no way we could have lugged it uphill ourselves and there aren't usually taxis at the ferry stop there. Eat dinner at Pergula- try the vegetable sampler appetizer. Have pizza at BabaYaga- we went there a few times for lunch and it was the best pizza of our trip. Take the tour of Villa Serbelloni-fascinating."

• Travel date: 30th July 2005

OUTSTANDING

Reviewed 14th February 2013

"We just returned from a 2 week Italy trip (Amalfi Coast, Tuscany, Venice and Lake Como). Most of the hotels that we stayed at were lovely 4-stars, and the trip was great. I cannot say enough good things about the Belvedere (which is highly underrated at 3 stars). The location is fantastic (a lovely 5 minute walk from the main road), the pool is gorgeous, the grounds are beautiful, the rooms are modern, spotless and have all the amenities, and the service is that of a 5-star hotel. Unless you're going to stay at the Villa D'Este in Cernobbio, this is the only place to stay in Lake Como as far as I am concerned. It's also a steal at under 200 Euros a night in peak season."

• Travel date: 3rd July 2005