About Ulisse Deluxe Hostel

• spanish amenities
  • indoor pool

Good
Good

the best hotel deal in sorrento

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I was visiting with my Mom in Jun for 9 days. The room was beautiful,the staff was the most helpful in any matter we needed help.The wellness center was one of the best i have been!
Ro berto,Pasquale,Kierra,Antonio,Claudia were the kindest.
We would sure to return to this hotel.And the price was the best!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of June 2008

Great value, location, staff!

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"It's called a hostel, but seemed like a hotel to us!

On a map, seemed somewhat far from center of town, but when we arrived we found a staircase that shortcut right to the main drag. Only downside is no sea view rooms.

The staff was very helpful. Made daily calls to airport to hunt down our luggage and made great efforts to help us resolve credit card/ATM issues, even searching for Visa Italy contact info on the internet and calling their own Visa card phone numbers.

Decent breakfast buffet that we were not charged for, even though the note in the room said it would be a per person charge and they asked for our room number each morning.

Definitely would stay here again and recommend to anyone. Diverse guests, but very quiet inside and out. Thanks again to Rick Steves for the great recommendation!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of June 2008

More than you pay for!

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"Recently my parents and I took a small vacation to Sorrento, Italy and had the pleasure of staying at Ulisse Hostel. While this hotel is ranked as a hostel it is anything but! The rooms are stellar by American standards complete with marble floors and flat-screen TV's. There is a beautiful lounge area with a full-service bar, piano, and copious amounts of seating.
As you know, a great place with all these amenities is worthless without a great staff. I cannot clearly describe how amazing the staff at Ulisse is! The ladies behind the desk are so helpful and kind, and the men who work there go beyond the standards to find tours, make reservations, and help you discover the beauty that is Sorrento. Together, this team is dynamic, pro-active, and among the best I have ever experienced. I give them 5 Stars.
This hotel is a must if you are planning a trip to Sorrento. This was my second time to this beautiful part of Italy, and was far superior to the last trip thanks to the staff and comfort offered by Ulisse. Thank you guys so much!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2008

Avoid if you value sleep

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"The ULISSE HOSTEL Looks Good But Thats Where It Ends. The 1ST Floor Rooms Smell Of Chlorine From The Pool And The Filtration Pump Is Heard All Night. The Second Floor Is Directly Below The Carpark About 18 INCHES Between You And The Cars And You Know ABOUT IT!!! I Have Been In Quieter Train Station. Some Members Of Staff Are Extremely Rude And The Management Say There Is No Proof That The Rooms Are Noisey !! If You Do Stay Bring Your Own Breakfast (Unless You Like Stale Bread, Cakes And Heavily Watered Down Drinks.) , Earplugs, Towels, Soap, And Last But Not Least Coat Hangers, OR YOU REALLY WILL RESEMBLE A TRAMP WHO LIVES UNDER A CAPARK !!"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

Check the bill!

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Lovely building, room and breakfast more than adaquate, but no view and many hidden extras - clean towels, sheets, use of fridge = extra charge. I was told by the receptionist with whom I booked in February that the charge was €23 per person per night for a room, whether sharing or not. I booked a twin room. On the last night of the stay I asked for a single room as my friend was ill and needed privacy. The charge for this room was €70! When I questioned this, I was told that that the room rate had risen from that date (25 April). When I mentioned that I had been quoted €23 per person per night for the duration of the stay by the hotel receptionist when I rang in February, the answer I received was that I had not spoken to the receptionist who was handling my bill. This girl did her upmost to confuse me, teling me "not to worry " when I asked why the final night's stay had risen to €130! It turned out that I was charged €70 (reduced to €60 as a "favour") for my single room under the heading of "Various", while my friend was also charged €70 for two people in her twin room. The "Various" was buried in the middle of the bill amongst the extra charges for breakfast etc. After much arguing, this €70 was deducted. The receptionist tried to convince me that there was only one charge of €70, while actually pointing at the second charge! This episode ruined our stay as we had found the hotel to be a very pleasant place until then. Friends of ours who had stayed in the hotel the previous week and who did not check their bill until they got home only then realised that they had also been charged €60 per night instead of the advertised €46. I was left with the feeling that the receptionist set out to confuse me and that she charged what she thought she would get away with. The moral of the story is to thoroughly check everything before you part with your hard-earned cash!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of April 2008

Amazing!!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"AMAZING!! This has to be the most incredible hostel in the world!! The lobby and the rooms look like a 4 or 5 star hotel. Our room was private with a private bathroom. It had a huge bed and the room itself was much larger than expected. We liked it so much that we cancelled a reservation in Naples and stayed an extra night! The price was the best part!!! So affordable for a young couple traveling on a budget!!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of April 2008

Great price, great location, great people

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"The Ulisse Deluxe Hostel is wonderful!
My husband and daughter and I were there, March 20-22, 2008. Claudia and the rest of the staff were gracious and helpful.
Our bedroom and bathroom were large, comfortable and impeccably clean. While the property does not offer any sea views, the location is perfect for easy walking access to the center of Sorrento.
The breakfast is no better or worse than those we’ve encountered in many other hotels. There was a decent selection of pastries, bread, cereal, cold cuts and cheese. We generally prefer just a quick bite to get us going so that when we are out and about we can enjoy a mid-morning break at one of the local pasticcierias or coffee bars.
Finally, you can’t beat the price. We were originally booked at a hotel down the road from the Ulisse Deluxe. Based on the addresses of the two properties, I almost thought they were next door to each other. As it turned out, the other property was about a half mile downhill from our location. It would not have been an easy or pleasant walk to get to the center of town. By switching to the Ulisse Deluxe, I also managed to save over €100."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of April 2008

Can't beat the price

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"I too was skeptical about this place given the price, but I was convinced by all the reviews. I was looking for inexpensive accommodation in Sorrento - we were there in March, so it wasn't really a summer holiday anyway. We were very impressed with the Club Ulisse. The room was comparable to a four star experience in terms of cleanliness and comfort. There aren't any little soaps or things in the bathroom, but for 46 euros a night I didn't care. The reception was helpful and our stay was perfect. Having noted the comments that breakfast was not good, we opted to eat out in a bar. It was a great location and easy to find. I only wish I'd brought my swimsuit to try out the sports complex attached. It was a bit rainy during our stay and it would have been nice to relax in the hot tub.

I would definitely recommend the Club Ulisse if you are looking for an inexpensive place to spend the night. It is much nicer than most of the budget hotels I have stayed at."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of March 2008

Great place to stay

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Staff was very accommodating after our initial booking with a different hotel fell through, we were booked into a 4 person family room and were only charge at the same rate as a double room due to not using the additional beds.

Staff was very helpful and tips regarding restaurants and general
sightseeing etc. was spot on.

Best service ever. Hostel is not the correct description, should be
hotel.Only on technicality that this is not a hotel. Building completed in 2006,high finishes standard with marble throughout. Very clean, spacious, and in good location.

Comes highly recommended. Give it a go."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of December 2007

Club Ulisse O.K. for a weekend -but will stay elsewhere next time.

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Hi folks

Well first impressions were very good- the foyer and bar areas were spacious, shiny, clean and nicely furnished and the staff polite and smiley etc but the first 'hiccup' was that our room request had not been passed on to the hotel as agreed . In fairness though, this would appear to be the fault of our Travel Agent , 'Italian Getaways' -and it seems to be a common problem with this company (More on Getaways another time! Meanwhile my own intention is to only book with ABTA members -or on a recommendation in future.)

Although we had requested a room with a 'nice' or 'interesting' view (sea views are not possible given the location, naturally) we were given a room with just a vertical slit window and a brick wall outside! We managed to get it changed, (although initially it looked as though this might become a contentious issue which could spoil the holiday) and then we had a view of a concrete tennis court -which was 'better'.

Anyway, be advised that if views are important to you, this hostel is not for you.

The bathroom was nice and brightly lit which was very welcome as so many English hotels have dingy bathroom lighting (which is murder for us ladies when trying to apply our make-up!)

The room was spacious and quiet-great! However, there was no balcony where you could relax in the evenings with a glass of wine which is a pity as you can soon feel rather confined and claustrophobic despite the generous room size. Also, there are no tea or coffee making facilities, which gave a rather soulless 'something missing' feeling to the room. This surprised us, as 'Getaways' is billing this hostel as a "Luxury hotel in all but name with all the facilities and comforts one would expect".

Getaways also mentions that the rooms have LCD flat screen t.v. but if you are tired one evening and fancy a movie -Sorry. Getaways neglects to mention that the only station in English is- the BBC World Service…

The main problem for me though was the poor quality of the breakfasts. (We were half board). The buffet table looked promising, but the salami was truly disgusting, (almost pure sticky lard) and the juice was artificial i.e. from some kind of sickly syrup.The tea was unanimously agreed to be undrinkable.
"No problem" I thought (-as clever clogs here had brought her own t-bags in case of this event!) But alas the urns were filled with the tea rather than boiling water, so I still couldn't make my own cuppa. There were also some little Madeleine cake thingies, (which I personally couldn’t manage quite so early in the morning), slices of sweetish cheese and jams. The Croissants were ok-ish and there were some basic cereals and plain yoghurt so I just filled up on the latter as that was the best option to my mind.

Because ours turned out to be a very intensive holiday requiring early starts, we had to spend quite a bit extra on food in order to fill-up adequately but even if you are able to expend less energy on your holiday, you will may still end up having to spend extra to make up for the unappetising breakfasts. (Be warned, If you are planning to go with the 'Getaway's' group this does not turn out to be such a great value holiday after all and so I strongly suggest that you shop around for another package).When I got home everyone remarked with visible concern how much weight I’d lost!

This hostel unfortunately is a pretty mixed bag and where the breakfasts were concerned does give the impression of trying to cut-corners. It's somewhere I would possibly consider staying for a weekend or if just passing through,but that would certainly be long enough -for me. It's NOT somewhere I would suggest for a romantic break ! Thankfully Sorrento itself by night is magical and provides romance -a-plenty to make up for it, if that's what you're seeking.

I gave this place two although it could probably merit two and a half."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007